• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
May 15, 2010
It's not a rhetorical question.

This is hands down my favourite Paradox game so far; I've not really played EU2 or any other of the previous incarnations so perhaps the changes and benefits impress me more than players who have 'grown up' with the series, so to speak.

However, the game is incredibly addictive, interesting, fun and has excellent replay value. The multi-player is stable (though not perfect), there are a few good mods (I'm working on another, by the way) and the game is continually being developed by MichaelM and others behind the scenes; we will apparently even see new features with future patches as well as inevitable bug fixes.

Why do so few people seem to post here and play online? Why did the game sell so poorly according to Johan? : [

It's such a shame because compared to CK2/V2 (or even EU3) this sub-forum seems pretty dead, even though - in my opinion, at least - this game is better than any of them. :eek:o

Austen

Bad timing, bad marketing, not enough features? I don't know, it is my favourite P-dox published game so far.

Its not a new game.

FTG is EU2.2 and EU2 has already had its mass following / community, those years are well over. There's only a few from them days who find it hard to let go or who return now and then...and fewer who picked it up as something 'new'.

Revamping an engine which is almost 10 years old is a difficult task. Many people out there prefers 3d Games and the Hardcore Community who still plays the old Games will become smaller and smaller...
I think the development of FtG started too late to get the needed attention, but i don´t want to blame the Devs for that.

Michael and Yoda had, and maybe have still, great things in mind and planned them, only to find out, that the engine isn´t capable of achieving that. Therefore, FtG will lack of badly needed Features, which will, at some Point, disappoint potential customers.
Another problem was the lack of Advertisement. Neither in Gaming magazines nor in several Gamimg Communities ( except Paradox ) were signs of Advertisement, or an announcement for FTG. As above, i don´t blame the devs for that...

Releasing the Sourcecode for the Europa Engine was a good idea, but happened way too late... 2years ealier, and today both AoD and Ftg would be more successful

Its true. The lack of advertisement was brutal, while other titles like Arsenal of Democracy appeared pretty much everywhere.

Speak about racism.

Its not a new game.

FTG is EU2.2 and EU2 has already had its mass following / community, those years are well over. There's only a few from them days who find it hard to let go or who return now and then...and fewer who picked it up as something 'new'.

Bingo. It's not a "new game". It's just a new/improved version/edition of an old popular game. I'd agree that FtG is a better game than EU2 ever was. Then again, thousands of players have already played EU1 and EU2 to death in the past decade. They probably moved on.... to EU3 or to other Paradox games (Victoria 2 maybe?)

You know, Warcraft III was not a "new game". It was just a newer version of Warcraft II, and Warcraft II was just a later and better version of Warcraft I.

After a while, most gamers get tired of the same game franchise. They move on to something completely different. Can't really blame them, it's human nature.

Warcraft III is totaly diferent from Warcraft II. In every aspect. There is no possible comparison. It is a complete diferent game inside the same genre.

Well I like this smaller community we got going here. Now I don't post many threads or such anymore but it is nice recognizing almost everyone that posts here. It makes for a much better multiplayer. Now personally I feel things would be better if the EU2 and FTG sub-forums were merged since it is very much like having the same threads in 2 different places.

It's a shame that the game hasn't received the attention and success that it deserves.

I agree that the game didn't look different enough from EUII visually. It should have had a new map and a higher amount of other new graphics, and especially sprites, from the start.

If the game looks almost the same, people will assume that everything is almost the same, when in fact this game is much better than EUII.

By the way, it would be really good advertisement for the game if somebody did a 'Let's Play' of it on you-tube. There are plenty of them for EUIII, but not a single one yet for For the Glory or even EUII. I think that a lot of EUIII players who never played the older versions would be interested in watching. Let the dog see the rabbit!

Yes, it is a pity this title didn't receive as much attention as it should.

I know I'm repeating already written comments, but this game really rocks. I too, like Austen, didn't play very much EU1/EU2, but I played them enough (esp EU2) to say that the changes made in FtG are absolutely worth the game's price.

Way back then EU2 didn't impress me very much - maybe, too, because I was younger and had a bit less patience than today. But as it is now FtG is, again as Austen wrote, incredibly addictive, fun, deep and replayable.

Kudos to YodaMaster, MichaelM and the whole dev team - you deserve it!

For me, EU3 (HttT) blows FtG out of the water in every aspect.
Bar one: speed of loading.

So, horror of horrors, FtG turned EU2 into a beer and pretzels game :eek:

HttT still has a lot of issues with the way the game plays and there are so many minor issues and typos that just drag the spirit out of the game for me. I do think that FtG would be a lot more fun with the culture system and sphere of influence system but I would never demand such stuff from the devs considering the time needed to implement it. Besides FtG need to stand on it's own for what it is and do it good instead of being like a little brother to EU3.

For me, EU3 (HttT) blows FtG out of the water in every aspect.
Bar one: speed of loading.

So, horror of horrors, FtG turned EU2 into a beer and pretzels game :eek:

You are an evil meanie moderator. Does Paradox pay you to speak badly of their own products? Or should i send a PM to Johan? :D

It has a small community because of eu3, and maybe because an eu3 expansion was launched almost at the same time as ftg.. didnt understand the reason for that.

that said, eu3 has that ugly engine that makes playing that game feel as being using a sloppy java application, hence why I don't understand why would they prefer it to ftg or eu2.

It has a small community because of eu3, and maybe because an eu3 expansion was launched almost at the same time as ftg.. didnt understand the reason for that.

that said, eu3 has that ugly engine that makes playing that game feel as being using a sloppy java application, hence why I don't understand why would they prefer it to ftg or eu2.
Cos it's 3d!!!!11one
Pretty much sums it up, I guess. Very often people who see games with older (2d) graphics are sceptical towards a game using them, especially if they have been playing 3d games all their life (that is, started playing only newest video games around year 2000).

Other than that (though beating a dead horse here, as it's been said 1000 times already):
-FTG (and europa engine) has been released too late - once most of the EU2 community had already dwindled
-unfortunate release date
-bad (or should I just say: no) marketing
-negative approach of some people on the fora from the very time when the game was announced
-too few visible new features (Johan's post basically killed possible interest - the stuff mentioned over there is almost identical to EU2...), especially lack of a new (non-vanilla-EU2) map.

I have read the WATK 4 thread, which sounds very interesting. I wonder if it will ever be released - I get the impression that (almost) everyone has given up on their mods. :eek:o

Austen

This is hands down my favourite Paradox game so far; I've not really played EU2 or any other of the previous incarnations so perhaps the changes and benefits impress me more than players who have 'grown up' with the series, so to speak.
Thats the thing. Most people already spent years and years with EU2 before FtG came out. That and how EU3 has more developed game mechanics. The old engine has its limits.

I only play FtG occasionally when I want some old feel games with historical events and leaders.

I went directly to FtG, Ive never tried EUII. The first game in the EU series was EUIII and later HttT. I prefer FtG over EUIII, because it is so simple and everything just works smoothly and I can feel history in every second of gameplay, besides I prefer the FtG map EUIII map is awful afaik.
EUIII is full of features, some of them are nice , but I still think map, historical feeling and AI is everything which define a good Pdox game. And in this aspect the developers did a really great job!
The only problem is that the niche market is way too small for such a product. It can better sell among historicians than video gamers: (

I also prefer the "prettier" natural-looking maps of FtG and EU2 over the EUIII "Lego blocks" provinces maps. :D