• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
51 old age?
I'd smell vodka, had it been invented.

I'm sure someone, somewhere in Russia in the 12th Century was busy fermenting the potatoes rather than just eating them?

Good stuff, Vladimir proving once again that a place in heaven can be brought. A reincarnated Kettu sounds promising. I think after this update, I'll ever walk warily past any blind person using a cane, worried that it is infact a swordstick!
Heaven's standards seem...lax.

aye, I was surprised, so my guess is it keys purely off piety, not actual activities?

the new Kettu is on the verge of a first sighting ...

Mitrofan 1291-95, a case study in ...

Scene 1: A lecture theatre in the University of Hell [1], the year on earth is 1822.

Trainee demons are about to take their first module in advanced possession and demonic activities, called the “dramaturgical art and the demon”[2].

For those who care about such details, the University was built on what used to be Gabi's nail and tail emporium

The Empress Astarte enters

Demons, you have completed your basic course and understand about possession, temptation, the planting of false hopes and so on. So now we intend to show you how to bring these skills together so as to create the perfect intervention in a human’s life.

The example will be taken from the short reign of Mitrofan, King of the Rus from 1291 to 1295.

So first we plant the seeds of hope and ambition, in this case he wanted to be an Emperor. He inherited a large and stable kingdom:

But of course, we have to, early on, foreshadow problems yet to arise:

In this case his wife really does not like him

And his brother is annoyed that he didn’t come to the throne

I quickly arranged for his mother to die – thus establishing the motif of death in the family

And, as he was a Rurikovich it was essential to arrange a traditional rebellion and for his marshall to be injured, you see it is critical in these cases to be as realistic as possible

I encouraged his bastard brother to go to a new realm, again note the re-appearance of the loss motif

But, to keep him hopeful, so as to make the final loss all the more shattering, we let him have a potentially useful heir

And, the potential for another:

So as to build up hope, we arranged for him to win a war, after Mstislav was convinced he actually had a chance of winning:

At this stage he was beginning to think of how to make war on Byzantium – as you can see we had introduced hope … at which stage it was essential that feelings of foreboding were developed, so he has a chance to regain part of Lithuania, but his brother is disloyal

And then odd things started to happen, first

Now the loss of his estranged wife and the child, became part of his (so he thought) designs on Byzantium

You see, he saw the potential for an alliance, and aid in his planned war.

So he marries into the Wallachian royal family (who were actually Sami who had fled the North West when Rus power was established in that region) … please take notes as this is important for what happens next

So again, we introduce random violence and the loss-motif, but he is only thinking of his steadily expanding kingdom

But, he feels the air of impending doom

And joins in a rather foolish war to cheer himself up

But the air of doom darkened, with the mysterious death of his first son

Leaving him with Roman as his heir, note there are no particularly obviously worrying characteristics (except maybe the lack of friends), this is indicative of my sublime subtlety

Then that idiot Harry made a mess of it, just as I was building it up so carefully - of course as a result we lost Mitrofan's soul - spur 2 in purgatory ... look it up in your geography books.

Any questions?

Empress, Professor, who was Harry?

Oh nobody important, he used to think he was in charge down here. We’ll cover that in a later lecture.

Is this the end for the Rurikovich Imperial Dreams? What would have happened if Harry hadn’t got carried away? How much of the realm will survive?

[1] – which of course has 2 medical schools, a point of concern if you’ve ever worked in Higher Education
[2] – unfortunately, Hell is already full of Sociologists

Much change is afoot! So Astarte will gain command in the future, poor Harry likely crushed underneath the university whilst visiting the nail and tail emporium, and there is a new generation of bright young demons being taught by the master manipulator herself...humanity seems doomed!

And joins in a rather foolish war to cheer himself up​

I loved this line, cheer yourself up by spreading the misery around!

What would have happened if Harry hadn’t got carried away?​

I daresay we'd still be enjoying (perhaps not the right word) his genial incompetence, rather than about to suffer the ruthless efficiency of the Astarte reign!

Also I suppose looking over Mitrofan's life and his burgeoning bank balance, the old adage; money doesn't bring happiness, is very true!

Did they build the university on top of the nail bar or did it just evolve?

Gabi's nail bar > Gabi's Tail Grooming Institute > University of Hell (Gabi Campus)

Much change is afoot! So Astarte will gain command in the future, poor Harry likely crushed underneath the university whilst visiting the nail and tail emporium, and there is a new generation of bright young demons being taught by the master manipulator herself...humanity seems doomed!
I daresay we'd still be enjoying (perhaps not the right word) his genial incompetence, rather than about to suffer the ruthless efficiency of the Astarte reign!
Did they build the university on top of the nail bar or did it just evolve?

no need to worry, we'll have a few more centuries of the Harry approach before we get onto any efficiency in Hell

Gabi's nail bar > Gabi's Tail Grooming Institute > University of Hell (Gabi Campus)

sounds like the evolution of the UK Higher Education sector over the last 20 years ...

No potatoes before going to Chile! :p

ok, can I brew it out of wheat? I must have wheat, this is Russia ...

"Hell is full of sociologists"
*laughs*

ah, well as I mentioned to, I've just finished editing a thesis by a sociologist, and it sort of reminded me why ...

ok, I've written the next post 5 times, the first version was spread over about 8 updates, dutifully reporting every assassination, declaration of war and rebellion ... this is the condensed variant

Roman 1295-1300, a bit explosive

Scene 1: The court

Raphael is pronouncing judgement

Satan, he's all yours, I think we all agree - the lower reaches of circle IX

Scene 2: Gabi's Nail and Tail Salon

Harry is in an expansive mood

I tell you, if I rule this place for another 1500 years, I'm never going to have that much fun again ...

having killed his father, he inherits with a bit of an image problem, most of his vassals are already in near revolt

he decides to marry his mother in law ... Astarte managed to do that small job fairly well

botched the assassination of his uncle

who was none too pleased

and then had the idea he could head off the civil war by killing all his rivals

anyway, they all spend 5 years at it, wars, burning things down, murder, assassination, it was such fun ... he ends up with

having given away almost all his titles in an attempt to stave off total defeat

Just look at his global reputation

and then his uncle got his own back anyway

Giving Kettu a second chance was such a brilliant idea

Astarte enters

Harry, can you come this way, there's someone you need to meet

Scene 3: Astarte's tower, Dis

Harry enters, rather drunk, his wing drapped over Astarte

Who are you?

Kettu

So who's in the ninth circle, getting the special treatment?

Roman

Harry muses on this

so there are two of you, in the same family with the same taste for murder, heresy and mayhem?

... well that is good news

So can Mikula sort out the realm? Can Harry cope with 2 psychotic murderers in Hell? Can Harry cope?

Last edited:
How could you destroy your own empire so well? :eek:

so easy - a 16 year old King with no reputation, kinslayer trait and hugely negative piety - everyone ends up rebelling (at one stage I had 5 different wars on the go) and the only thing you can do is to get rid of your vassals, the bit of the court that survived all the assassinations mostly left, so had no decent advisors either

but yep, it is impressive :cool:, one of the many reasons I love CK. I can't imagine in EU, if I had the control over Russia that I had about 80 years back that I could have managed to lose it all.

I am not an expert on Freud, but killing your father and marrying your stepmother seem like the actions of someone with some serious issues.

Has Harry gone missing as he is doing some seroius therapy with Roman?

one of the many reasons I love CK. I can't imagine in EU, if I had the control over Russia that I had about 80 years back that I could have managed to lose it all.

Very true - I'm doing my damnest to create a CK style Russia in EU3 and I doubt it will get that bad.

Great stuff, as ever, that truly is one destroyed Empire. Its always nice of CK to catch you out just as things are going swimmingly.

Can Harry cope?

I'm sure he'll find some way to make the already awful that little bit worse.

Hey I'm catching up and I noticed that I have 4 Rurikovitch's in every adviser position except Stewerd during my Bulgaria Game!

How could you destroy your own empire so well? :eek:
I love when CK causes implosions :)
The bigger they are, the more amusing they fall?
Great stuff, as ever, that truly is one destroyed Empire. Its always nice of CK to catch you out just as things are going swimmingly.

I was surprised at quite how bad it got, I think at one stage I was down to a single province, but as I made peace, I kept on getting provinces back so just hung in there.

In effect kin slayer+negative piety+losing sieges and battles (so you never get any reputation)+realm duress=no realm

Very true - I'm doing my damnest to create a CK style Russia in EU3 and I doubt it will get that bad.

You are indeed doing an excellent job of making EU3 look like CK, inspires me to give it another go

I am not an expert on Freud, but killing your father and marrying your stepmother seem like the actions of someone with some serious issues.

Aye, agree, if the old Viennese fraud had focussed on Roman rather than that less effective Greek Oedipus, then psychiatry might not be the mess it is today ....

Has Harry gone missing as he is doing some seroius therapy with Roman?

No, as you'll see Harry is on the verge of 2 in a row ... so we may have more of the casual model of running Hell for a whle

Hey I'm catching up and I noticed that I have 4 Rurikovitch's in every adviser position except Stewerd during my Bulgaria Game!

glad you're enjoying it, aye they get everywhere. The screen for 'my relatives' in the ledger is huge and they've got to most of Europe. If one is called Mstislav, don't let him near a baggage train :cool:

which brings us to:

Mikula, 1304-1036, short but not very sweet

Scene 1: The Court

Mikula is led in

Harry and Raphael are arguing

Ok Harry, we’ll discuss that later

Well Mikula, can you start

Yes, well this was all that was left of the family holdings, mine and his combined

Helpfully Vseslav my son was pretty promising, so there was some hope for the future

Hang on ….

Who are you?

Satan

oh … does that mean ….

Yes quite likely … anyway, I just want to be clear … for the court records you see … you didn’t just inherit from your nephew did you?

Yes I did

Yes, you did, but something happened to make him pass the throne to you

Ah you mean …

Yes, you had him assassinated

Ok Harry, you’ve made your point, now Mikula please continue

Well it was rather stressful even thinking about how to sort out the mess

Not helped that my wife didn’t like me

Hah, that’s what all the Rurikovichs say

Harry …

Ok, ok, Mikula …

Well I wanted two things, first to gain some reputation, and second regain some land, so I started a war with Bryansk, and then …

So there was more building burning, surprising as I though that Roman hadn’t left much left standing, and I did something heroic

My bishop toddled off, obviously just couldn't match the standards I was setting

Some idiot tried to emulate my grasp of military tactics

And then I started to improve my overall reputation

Which meant

And just to follow it up, more military genius by me

Someone of course has to show off

So the war with Bjarmia was going very well, most of their army was dead, I’d taken 3 counties off them and we were besieging their home provinces

Scene 2: Hell

Astarte is standing with a group of very tough looking demons[1]

So, look he’ll come back, drunk, pleased with himself, empty handed as usual, so you lot grab him, lock him up and we start to run this place properly

Scene 3: The Court

So one last cavalry charge

Ok, well you didn’t get up to much, I think a spell in Purgatory would be best all around

Harry … you object?

Yes, we’re ignoring what he did before he inherited, killed his nephew and declared war on at least 4 of his neighbours, clear case for Circle VI, Ring 1 – he can throw things down at his nephew, make use of them both

Raphael looks at the clerks

He’s right you know

Well Mikula you’d better follow Satan ….

Scene 4: The Gates of Hell

Look you’ll like it, I tell you we have all the fun people down here and your circle is really popular (there’s some German bloke with a red beard just turned up – Frederick someone or other) and Astarte will be so pleased [2]

Harry

Astarte, ... oh hi lads (nods to the ultra scary very tough demons)

Who’s your friend?

Mikula, I was just telling him how happy you’d be, an addition to your private circle, give the Furies someone new to chat to

[1] Really tough ones, Kirk Douglas in Spartacus, that sort of tough, Mark Van Bommel (well maybe not that tough, but that sort of thing)
[2] According to Dante, Astarte is Queen of the Furies who torment those damned for violence and aggression

Was that another failed rebellion? Can Vseslav carry on the task of retaking Russia?

Last edited:
Well I have to confess the dominant literary style of this AAR is Dan Brown - which is sooo embarassing, I think I'm going to go and hang up my word processor now. My current, slow moving Soviet one, on the other hand is alledgedly by HP Lovecraft.
I'm not quite caught up yet, but this really brightened my night. I daresay the tester can stand some improvement: this AAR has made me laugh, entertained me in general and features characters that I can empathize with. None of these things a Dan Brown book has done for me (for shame, I actually read that Da Vinci drivel some years ago. I also tried one of the earlier books but had to put it down when I finished the half-page hagiography that was the description of a main character - Dan Brown seems utterly unable to create a believeable character: you know, the type that isn't either a slavering monster or an übermensch superhero).

Anyway, I hope to catch up in the next day or two and am looking forward to what's in story on page 18 and 19. :)