• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Pfft... I wish I was an advisor to President Truman... I was one of his biggest advocates!

Hopefully Truman will reward your advocacy with some sort of post.

Last edited:
Bradley is doing well in Africa. He really is making up for earlier failures.

I get an carrier? Thanks! :D

By the way, how did I end up being one of Truman's advisors?

That was my way of explaining storyline wise how you got a carrier named after you. If you remember, I said that anyone whose advice I used got a ship or army named after them. It is a way of expressing my gratitude for the election map. As for Bradley, I would say he has more then proven Truman's faith in him is justified.
Nice to see the Germans and other Axis powers committing troops piecemeal so you can easily destroy them. Looks like this is going to end like the historical North Africa campaign with the Germans sending significant amounts of troops to Africa too late and getting them wiped out.

It is very nice of them isn't. I have played into August and so far, that is pretty much how it has played out.

Tunisia seems to be on the verge of independence, are you going to liberate it immediately or wait until you attack Italy?

I shall liberate it immediately. The only reason I delayed with Morocco is I did not immediately notice I could liberate it immediately.

I say you will meet most resistance in Libya and Egypt.

To soon to now for sure, but I have a feeling you will be right in the long run.

Good stuff, the impressive gains in Africa continue unabated, hopefully the Axis won't wake up to the danger.

Soon after the defeat of the German division, the 10 New destroyers were completed and added to the Carrier fleet already under Admiral Fletcher's command.
wbcsr9.jpg

Soon after the defeat of the German division, Sfax fell. This gave the Americans complete control of Tunisia. Bradley, however, decided to delay the liberation of Tunisia until after he liberated Algeria completely.
6hqfer.jpg

Immediately across the border waiting for him, Bradley learned of a force of 14 Italian divisions under the command of Prince Umberto of Piedmont waiting for him across the border in Libya. When he heard that the defenders of Libya were commanded by the heir to the Italian throne, Bradley could not contain himself. His capture would be a major propaganda victory for the United States and major embarrassment to the Italians. It would also remove one of the last sizable forces in North Africa. He decided that he would do an end run around him too. However, this time, he would do it slightly differently. He would have Clark take Ghadames in the south while Simpson took Tripoli with an amphibious attack.
15eigle.jpg

General Lemnitzer was also ordered to advance on Ghat.
r8zgxx.jpg

shortly after, on June 26, 1953, Bradley announced the liberation of Algeria, the second African nation to gain its independence.
5otvnd.jpg

The liberation of Tunisia soon followed. This brought an end to French domination of North Africa. Algeria in particular had been a part of French for so long, that it was actually viewed as so integral a part of France, that it was made an official department of France, not a mere colony. This was a major blow to French pride and greatly served to turn the people of France against the Vichy regime, which had failed to defend what they saw as sovereign French soil.
20f4u8i.jpg

Good news also arrived from the Mediterranean. Admiral Nimitz was able to catch Admiral Darlan and engage him in combat off the coast of Tunisia.
2ngc2yo.jpg

The battle was extremely lopsided as the Vichy navy was no match for the American Atlantic Fleet. Nimitz managed to sink a battleship and 3 battlecruisers. This did not bode well for the Axis as the Kriegsmarine was mostly at the bottom of the sea and the Italian Navy was to scared to leave port at the moment, meaning that the French fleet was the only Axis fleet able to operate in the Atlantic.
2eoy8tw.jpg

General Richardson was also ordered to advance on Mopti.
mjvakm.jpg

Back in North Africa, the Italians had gotten wise to Bradley's scheme and tried to send men into Ghadames to stop him, but to no avail.
2eea2de.jpg

Admiral Benson in the Pacific also had a brief engagement with the Japanese. He lost one carrier to a carrier, a destroyer and a light cruiser.
2ng4fox.jpg

Curacao in the Caribbean also revolted.
33d8heq.jpg

Bradley also decided to order Simpson to seize the island of Malta, to hopefully distract the Italians and make them think that it was first step to the invasion of Sicily. Malta was poorly defended and fell easily, but it did not have the desired effect.
29cb9zp.jpg

A little while later, Darlan again sortied with Nimitz.
10zppi0.jpg

Yet again, Darlan was defeated.
30jh56x.jpg

Also, Clark soon after seized Ghadames and Simpson seized Tripoli soon after. Ghat also fell to the Americans. Umberto was now surrounded with little chance of escape and with no force even close to large enough to relieve him anywhere nearby.
n1uxrm.jpg

By this point, he only had 9 divisions, but it was still the only sizable Axis force in the reason. Bradley soon went in for the kill.
2q158jt.jpg

with the outlook bleak, Umberto had no choice but to surrender. Umberto agreed to an unconditional surrender on Bradley's assurance that he and his men would be well treated. Umberto was brought before Bradley as a prisoner in a much publicized event and would spend the remainder of the war as a prisoner of war. At home, the news was greeted with much excitement. The thinking was that this would be a huge blow to Italian morale, but Truman knew that the war against Italy was far from over and try to make this understood to the people with mixed success. In Italy, the news was met with widespread public outrage. The King was furious with Mussolini for allowing his son to be captured and seriously contemplated demanding his resignation. The only thing that stopped him was that he was afraid that the army would back Mussolini over him and that Mussolini would simply have him removed or marginalize him even more. As for the Italian people, they were outraged at the news. This was the beginning of the end of Mussolini, as this was the first thing to real shake their faith in him. Italy had known nothing but success up till now and the Italian people became accustomed to it. This was their first major defeat and with no large forces remaining in North Africa, it looked like it would not be the last. Truman, upon hearing of this through his network of spies, saw a great opportunity. He now had to decide how this could be exploited.

I so want to see the look on Mussolini's face, must be like "OH SHI-"

Looks like the Italians are living up to their reputation. De Gaulle and the Free French appear to have been annexed so are they in exile in America? If so what do they have to say about the US freeing their colonies, and in the case of Algeria what's considered an integral part of France? I imagine de Gaulle would get incredibly annoyed and Truman would essentially ignore him.

A masterstroke in North Africa. I can't wait to see what Truman does now that Mussolini is on shaky ground.

The liberation of Algeria...that is certain to make their history a bit more peaceful.

Looks like the Italians are living up to their reputation. De Gaulle and the Free French appear to have been annexed so are they in exile in America? If so what do they have to say about the US freeing their colonies, and in the case of Algeria what's considered an integral part of France? I imagine de Gaulle would get incredibly annoyed and Truman would essentially ignore him.

I think Truman would be better off ignoring de Gaulle. After all, he who does the fighting decides what to do with the land.

Impressive gains, not only in terms of land but also prisoners! America will no doubt be benefitting from rightful positive propaganda from her liberation of many countries and her military successes. Long may it continue.

I so want to see the look on Mussolini's face, must be like "OH SHI-"

I would agree. The capture of the heir to the throne would be a PR disaster not to mention a personal humiliation.

The Free French were annexed. I have simply neglected to mention them and De Gaulle's reaction. I will touch on that in the next update. Algeria actually was considered an integral part of France in real life. It was a department of France, the equivalent of an American state, and not just a colony. That why it was such a big deal when they lost it.

A masterstroke in North Africa. I can't wait to see what Truman does now that Mussolini is on shaky ground.

The liberation of Algeria...that is certain to make their history a bit more peaceful.

I think Truman would be better off ignoring de Gaulle. After all, he who does the fighting decides what to do with the land.

I actually have planned offensive to take advantage of that. I will not say where, but I will say that it is someplace I have not attacked yet. An event will also tie into it and will be pretty complicated and very interesting.

Impressive gains, not only in terms of land but also prisoners! America will no doubt be benefitting from rightful positive propaganda from her liberation of many countries and her military successes. Long may it continue.

I have actually surprised myself in Africa, I fully expected to bog down, but I am actually making rapid progress. I have actually liberated a few more countries at the point that I am currently at. Bradley has now liberated more countries then any other American General in the war and quite possibly seized more territory then any other general too. If everything works out the way I want it to, Bradley will be able to lay claim to the title of liberator of Africa.

I may not update today. I will try, but the event I am planning will be very complex and so far me, custom events, and my computer do not get along very well (okay, it is mostly the events and my computer that do not like each other). Therefore I may need to wrestle with it a bit to get it to work.

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay in updates. I cannot seem to get the event I made to work. I edit one of the releasable nations for an event I was planning and when I made the event, I had the same problem I always do: When I try to load the save game, it loads about three-quarters of the way and then abruptly freezes during the loading scenario portion. I have been distracted playing other games lately and have not worked on it as much as I should have been. I do have a back up plan if the event just refuses to work, and that is to install the game on my other computer and pray that it works their.

I do have some good news however. I have discovered I may just have enough happening and enough to talk about to create a short update later on tonight if I do not get it fixed. I will post said update tonight to make up for the delays to keep this aar alive tonight if I fail to fix the problem.

After Umberto's capture, the Americans had to try and decide how to take advantage of the situation. For the time being, they could not agree on a course of action and so returned their focus to the African campaign.
Clark made an attack on Socna soon after the Crown Prince of Italy's capture and managed to force the small Italian force out of the area.
1054l5s.jpg

Lemnitzer then began an attack on the city of Murzhuk and faced no resistance. Bradley seriously began to wonder where all the Italian defenders were and began to become suspicious of how easy his advance was.
wlr77n.jpg

The force that was supposed land in Brittany was also finally completed, though it would ultimately be used for another purpose.
29wpcsk.jpg

Some Italians who had retreated from the south also filed into Socna, but they suffered the same fate as Umberto's force.
syti0o.jpg

The British force that was intended to land in Brittany was also ordered to Dover so that they could prepare to disembark towards their intended target.
2q08vb5.jpg

Weaver also made an offensive towards Niamey. He met no resistance and was only held up in his advance by the difficulty of the terrain.
2nst82f.jpg

Shortly after this, Bradley announced the liberation of yet another African nation: The Union of Mali. This new nation encompassed the better part of West Africa. It was the fourth nation that Bradley had liberated since the campaign began and it would certainly not be the last.
6tlsly.jpg

De Gaulle also finally got the audience he had been seeking with Truman since the liberation of Algeria. Truman had been ignoring him and putting him off but finally deigned to listen to him. De Gaulle expressed his fury at the fact that Algeria had been given independence. Algeria, he insisted, was not merely a colony, but a part of France as integral as any American state he argued. De Gaulle demanded that this land be returned to France and to him after France was freed. It was there that Truman stopped him. He reminded De Gaulle that the majority of the people of the region he claimed to be so integral a part of France was inhabitated by people who where not of French, but Arabic heritage, spoke mostly Arabic, and where overwhelmingly Muslim. He then asked what part of this sounded like an integral part of France or even very French to him. To this De Gaulle had no good answer. Truman, who had also began to believe that the Africans deserved their independence after being denied it for so long after several meetings with the heads of the newly independent states, quite frankly told De Gaulle that it was American blood, not French blood, that had been spilled in the reclamation of Algeria and that he would therefore do with Algeria as he pleased. He then frankly told him that Algeria was independent and would remain independent and told De Gaulle that if he had a problem with that, he could leave the United States and take his chances elsewhere. De Gaulle, soundly defeated, walked out and never spoke of the subject again.
In much more important news, the Americans had finally decided on a way to capitalize on the shaky ground that Mussolini was on. Bradley had suggested that this situation be capitalized on by an invasion of Sicily and then Italy, and he had recommended his protege, Clark, for the position. Patton, however, heard about this and put Eisenhower's name forward to command the assault. This was not merely based on rivalry and a desire to one up Bradley. Eisenhower had led the landings at Gibraltar, Valencia, and Barcelona and therefore had a great deal of experience commanding amphibious assaults. Clark on the other hand had none and Patton believed he was more useful in Africa, whereas Eisenhower could be replaced in Spain very easily. Patton also suggested that the Brittany invasion be shelved and that the forces set aside for it be used in this operation instead. If this succeeded, he argued, Mussolini might be forced out of power and Italy out of the war or into the American camp, forcing Hitler to allocate massive resources to keeping the Americans out of his backyard, something that the Brittany invasion could not hope to achieve. Clark was furious and viciously attacked Eisenhower as Patton' pet in the press. Eisenhower fired back by commenting on the fact that Clark had no experience in anything other then as a supporting role and said that if he was Patton's pet, then Clark was Bradley's. This had all the makings of another media disaster, and to stop it, Truman asked Patton and Bradley to rein in their respective subordinates. Seeing that this situation could easily spin out of control and fearing the consequences if they did, the two were more then happy to comply. Truman had stopped another PR nightmare from occurring. He then announced that Eisenhower would lead the assault on Italy. The stage was now set for the opening of yet another front.

Oooh, the Italian front? I bet Mussolini must be having fun. :D

If the Italian army isn't defending its' possessions in Africa it has to be somewhere- I hope you don't have the same experience the Allies had in OTL with 'the soft underbelly of Europe.' I'm not sure if de Gaulle would give up quite so easily but it's not as though he can do anything about Algeria so it doesn't make a huge amount of difference.

If the Italian army isn't defending its' possessions in Africa it has to be somewhere- I hope you don't have the same experience the Allies had in OTL with 'the soft underbelly of Europe.' I'm not sure if de Gaulle would give up quite so easily but it's not as though he can do anything about Algeria so it doesn't make a huge amount of difference.

I hope so too. As for de Gaulle, I doubt the real life de Gaulle would give up that easy too. However, remember, he does not have much else he can do. His men have been beaten, he is in exile, the people of the US would most likely back Truman over him, and the only hope of even getting France itself back is with American aid. Against that and Truman, what can he really hope to do.

de Gaulle should consider himself lucky that the Americans are willing to help him.

I hope you don't have the same experience the Allies had in OTL with 'the soft underbelly of Europe.'

One of the great ironies of World War Two. The soft underbelly turned out to be a tough nut to crack.

Just to let my readers know this, this AAR is not dead. I am currently trying to work out a few problems but once I do, I will get right back tor writing. I have posted the problems I had on the scenarios and modifications board to get some help. If I do not get any by Wednesday, I will forget the event I created and continue playing in spite of it. So An update WILL be posted by the this coming friday

De Gaulle

I think the real De Gaulle wouldn't have pushed the issue. At this point WW2 has been raging for over a decade. The only country capable of freeing the world is the US. It will be freed with US blood, US industry, and US money. Anything any of our allies say is just back round noise. The French have offered no kind of assistance in the war and their homeland is in enemy hands. De Gaulle should consider himself lucky that he even gets to sit in on the war meetings