• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Arturius

Colonel
69 Badges
Sep 1, 2008
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Semper Fi
  • Rome Gold
  • March of the Eagles
  • Iron Cross
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Darkest Hour
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Pride of Nations
  • Rise of Prussia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
Hey guys, I'm planning a new release for 1914. Let us bring together what should be done and which bugs should be fixed. I suggest to concentrate for the scenarios 1911 and 1914.

1. AOD

I think, it is necessary for continued existence of this mod to convert it to AOD, so this release should also have an (experimental, but playable) AOD-version. Once I started to convert (LINK), but I am got nowhere. I would be very pleased if someone could take a look.

2. AI

I experimented with panda's AI by changing the unit-values (anybody had suggested this). I'm very pleased with it. The war lasts at least until mid-1916. Test it: LINK Please give feedback
In one game the war culminated in a never ending trench warefare. Despite the superiority of the Entente they don't go on offensive. I think it is because land forts. Any suggestions?

stellungskriega.jpg

3. Gameplay

- If Germany defeated France, the war (and game) is practically over. Germans send their troops to east-front and kick the ass of the tsar. Soon Great-Britain offers peace. What do you think about an earlier entry into the war of the USA if Germany defeated France?

- The suppression of the Senussi by Italy is to easy and to fast. Historically they alived the First World War. Maybe we could outfit the provinces with land-forts.

4. GFX & Sprites

- Some pics of ministers are missing that don't have to: Pilsudski etc.

- DrRare's sprites (LINK) which I added in the last release don't work because they have to be renamed or something. They are sprites for Hoi2, not for DD or Arma. Is there anybody who is well versed with this?

- I have noticed that some sprites as well aren't working. The air units for example. Can someone affirm it?

5. Ministers

- Some ministers are missing. What should done are the ministers of the commonwealth, especially head of state and head of government.

Last edited:
I think that lowering these values in the ai files should make the countries more aggressive:

enemy_reinf_days
base_attack_odds

For Germany I set 2 and 1.1 and war lasted until mid 1916 (playing with Italy), with Germany advancing in both East and West.

Also increasing recklessness should work.

I would suggest to make A-H stronger on the Alps, since provinces like Trento and Ljubljana are poorly guarded and a human Italy can easily break trough and get to Vienna. Borders priority with Italy should be set at least to 50, and I also wrote this specific event triggered by the Treaty of London:

Code:
	# The Treaty of London 			

event = { 			
		country = ITA 		
		id = 27023 		
		random = no 		
		style = 0
		picture = "italy" 		

name = "EVT_27023_NAME" 		
		desc = "EVT_27023_DESC" 		

trigger = { 		
			event = 20020 	
			control = { province = 32 data = FRA } #Brest	
			control = { province = 325 data = FRA } #Bordeaux
			control = { province = 527 data = FRA } #Grenoble
			control = { province = 366 data = FRA } #Nice
			war = { country = FRA country = GER }	
			war = { country = FRA country = U11 }	
			war = { country = ENG country = U11 }	
			NOT = { 	
			war = { country = ITA country = FRA } 	
			} 	
		} 		

date = { day = 22 month = may year = 1915 } 		
		offset = 1 		
		deathdate = { day = 0 month = january year = 1925 } 		

action_a = {
		#Yes, join the Entente
		name = "ACTIONNAME27023A" 		
		command = { type = alliance which = FRA } 		
		command = { type = supplies value = 4000 } 		
		command = { type = dissent value = -5 } 		
		command = { type = addcore which = 390 } #Tirana		
		command = { type = addcore which = 391 } #Vlore		
		command = { type = addcore which = 438 } #Antalya		
		command = { type = addcore which = 443 } #Mersin 		
		command = { type = addcore which = 442 } #Konya	
	        command = { type = trigger which = 333333 } 		
		}		

action_b = {
		#No, stay neutral 		
		name = "ACTIONNAME27023B" 		
		command = { type = dissent value = 5 } 		
		} 		
	}  

# A-H Builds forts

event = {
country = U11
id = 333333
random = no
style = 0
name = "Italy declared war!"
desc = "Italy betrayed us and declared war! We knew we shouldn't trust them!"
picture = german-mobilisation

action_a = {
name = "They'll never cross the Alps!"
command = { type = construct which = land_fort where = 377 value = 2 }
command = { type = construct which = land_fort where = 380 value = 2 }
command = { type = construct which = land_fort where = 371 value = 4 }
command = { type = construct which = land_fort where = 381 value = 3 }
}
}

Hey Guys,
i've made an "expansion pack" just for my fun who it's comprensive of a new chain of surrender event for italy,russia and a new balkan-wars' way and a small collection of sprites. It's not 100% tested but i think it's ok in a large part. If you want i can condivide my work, i've just a small problem with my English who it's not so perfect but i think Melkor it's italian like me so he can help me with the translation of event's desc.
I Stay Tuned.

I think that lowering these values in the ai files should make the countries more aggressive:

enemy_reinf_days
base_attack_odds

For Germany I set 2 and 1.1 and war lasted until mid 1916 (playing with Italy), with Germany advancing in both East and West.

Also increasing recklessness should work.

Do you think the AI needs to be more aggressive in general? Would a more aggressive AI attack landforts with high level (more than 5)?

Hey Guys,
i've made an "expansion pack" just for my fun who it's comprensive of a new chain of surrender event for italy,russia and a new balkan-wars' way and a small collection of sprites. It's not 100% tested but i think it's ok in a large part. If you want i can condivide my work, i've just a small problem with my English who it's not so perfect but i think Melkor it's italian like me so he can help me with the translation of event's desc.
I Stay Tuned.

Your work is welcome. You said you made sprites. Are you well versed with sprites. Some for HoI2 have to converted (look at the first post). Please present us your stuff.

Last edited:
Maybe you could have an event fire during the summer of 1918 that destroys some of the forts?

I think that would be the best way. The end of trench warfare was march 1918 with Germany's Spring Offensive ("Operation Michael"). I think after Russia is defeated - historically that was the condition of Germany's Spring Offensive - the "Digging in"-events should be revoked.

Do you think the AI needs to be more aggressive in general? Would a more aggressive AI attack landforts with high level (more than 5)?

I can't answer precisely because I'm not expert in modding ai files. In my last game, France and Germany stalemated until Italy and Russia defeated A-H in 1916, then (finally) France and UK attacked fortified provinces with the help of Italian troops and Germany surrendered. Lowering dig_in value might help, but I've never tested it.

I think the point is to make Germany able to get near Paris in the West, and conquer at least Poland in the East. Then digging in events should fire in the West, while the East front should remain stable (with no landforts) until 1917. I find Russia too strong, they get to stop the Germans quickly and even counter attack, while A-H never succeed in significantly advancing. Once I saw half of the A-H army being pocketed and destroyed by the Russian.
Maybe a solution could be an event that lowers the organization or the defence of Russian troops after a few weeks from the start of the war. These values could be raised again after some years by event, or we could create events that give Russia a lot of reserves divisions at the cost of supplies. I wouldn't turn down Russia's aggressiveness.

Anyway, WWI warfare was characterized by continuous attacks and assaults, which killed thousands of men with minimal territorial gains. The defensive armaments were far better than the offensive ones. Battles should last longer (weeks? months?), and I suggest to increase significantly the defence of all the units.

Also, I find reserves divisions quite useless. The cost more or less the same as the infantry divisions, while they're useless to attack and they have almost the same defensive skill. Here's my proposal:

Code:
# RESERVE INFANTRY

allowed_brigades =  artillery
allowed_brigades =  sp_rct_artillery
allowed_brigades =  tank_destroyer

# Reserve Infantry 1890 - 1
model = {
	cost 					= 12
	buildtime	 			= 100
	manpower 				= 15
	maxspeed 				= 4
	defaultorganisation 			= 40
	morale					= 30
	defensiveness 				= 12
	toughness				= 8
	softness				= 100
	suppression				= 2
	airdefence				= 1
	softattack				= 3
	hardattack				= 0
	airattack				= 0
	transportweight				= 15
	supplyconsumption 			= 1.2
	fuelconsumption				= 0
	speed_cap_art				= 4
	speed_cap_eng				= 6
	speed_cap_at				= 4
	speed_cap_aa				= 4
	upgrade_time_factor 			= 0.5
	upgrade_cost_factor 			= 1.0
}
# Reserve Infantry 1912 - 2
model = {
	cost 					= 10
	buildtime	 			= 90
	manpower 				= 15
	maxspeed 				= 4
	morale					= 30
	defensiveness 				= 18
	toughness				= 15
	softness				= 100
	suppression				= 2
	airdefence				= 1
	softattack				= 6
	hardattack				= 0
	airattack				= 0
	transportweight				= 15
	supplyconsumption 			= 1.7
	fuelconsumption				= 0
	speed_cap_art				= 4
	speed_cap_eng				= 6
	speed_cap_at				= 4
	speed_cap_aa				= 4
}
# Trench Infantry 1917 - 3
model = {
	cost 					= 8
	buildtime	 			= 80
	manpower 				= 15
	maxspeed 				= 4
	morale					= 30
	defensiveness 				= 38
	toughness				= 24
	softness				= 100
	suppression				= 2
	airdefence				= 2
	softattack				= 8
	hardattack				= 0
	airattack				= 0
	transportweight				= 15
	supplyconsumption 			= 2.0
	fuelconsumption				= 0
	speed_cap_art				= 4
	speed_cap_eng				= 6
	speed_cap_at				= 4
	speed_cap_aa				= 4
}

As I said, I strongly suggest to raise the defence of all units.

Also, I would suggest to increase the cost and the build time of the armoured train. At present, it's too strong and cheap. The units which it is attached to become almost invincibile.

Code:
# POLICE

model = {
	cost 			= 3
	buildtime	 	= 35
	manpower 		= 3
	defaultorganisation 	= 3
	suppression		= 3
	supplyconsumption 	= 0.2
	upgrade_time_factor 	= 0.5
	upgrade_cost_factor 	= 1.0
}
# Dummymodel
model = {
	cost 			= 3
	buildtime	 	= 35
	manpower 		= 3
	defaultorganisation 	= 3
	suppression		= 3
	supplyconsumption 	= 0.2
	upgrade_time_factor 	= 0.5
	upgrade_cost_factor 	= 1.0
}
# - Early armoured Train (1895)
model = {
	cost 				= 8
	buildtime	 		= 110
	manpower 			= 1
	defensiveness 			= 3
	toughness 			= 1
	softness			= -3
	hardattack			= 2
	softattack			= 2
	airdefence			= 0
	airattack			= 0
	supplyconsumption 	= 1.0
	upgrade_time_factor = 0.5
	upgrade_cost_factor = 1.0
}
# - Basic Armoured Train (1910)
model = {
	cost 				= 10
	buildtime	 		= 120
	manpower 			= 1
	defensiveness 			= 5
	toughness 			= 2
	softness			= -4
	hardattack			= 3
	softattack			= 3
	airdefence			= 1
	airattack			= 0
	supplyconsumption 	= 1.0
}
# - Improved Armoured Train (1916)
model = {
	cost 				= 12
	buildtime	 		= 130
	manpower 			= 1
	defensiveness 			= 7
	toughness 			= 3
	softness			= -5
	hardattack			= 4
	softattack			= 4
	airdefence			= 3
	airattack			= 1
	supplyconsumption 	= 1.0
}
# - Advanced Armoured Train (1919)
model = {
	cost 				= 14
	buildtime	 		= 140
	manpower 			= 1
	defensiveness 			= 9
	toughness 			= 5
	softness			= -7
	hardattack			= 6
	softattack			= 6
	airdefence			= 4
	airattack			= 2
	supplyconsumption 	= 1.0
}

Edit: these values are not based on panda's files, they're just what I used to play with. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to test even my own work :(

@Melkor89

I increased organisation of all units, so that battles last longer. Also I decreased the offensive values. The effect is equivalent to the effect of your increasing the defensive values. Increasing the value of defensive seems to be more plausible to me now. Panda's AI-improvements simulates the Schlieffen-Plan better and let Germany's AI handle the war on two fronts. I will customize it.

In my last game, France and Germany stalemated until Italy and Russia defeated A-H in 1916, then (finally) France and UK attacked fortified provinces with the help of Italian troops and Germany surrendered.

Which level had these forts?

Last edited:
@Melkor89

I increased organisation of all units, so that battles last longer. Also I decreased the offensive values. The effect is equivalent to the effect of your increasing the defensive values. Increasing the value of defensive seems to be more plausible to me now. Panda's AI-improvements simulates the Schlieffen-Plan better and let Germany's AI handle the war on two fronts. I will customize it.

Which level had these forts?

The forts were level 5. They were created by the digging in events.

I started in 1914. This was the situation in 1917, a few weeks before Germany's surrender. Note that A-H is defeated, and Germany is struggling in Russia, where they occupied Moscow but were unable to cover the whole front without A-H.

1917.jpg

After a few days, the USA entered the war, and the Entente broke through (but no trace of American soldiers).

19172.jpg

Hey guys i've posted my work, you can fid it here : http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RHMKN1EM

Just for the precision, i don't have made the sprite, i've just make all the sprites i've found on the net in a one package.
For the installation, it's just a copy & paste solution (make a backup first !).

@Melkor : Ti ho mandato un PM, che ne dici, puoi darmi una mano nel sistemare il mio add-on ? Mi verrebbe più facile spiegarti il lavoro in italiano che in inglese! Grazie Melkor (o dovrei chiamarti Morgoth ? :D)

Would it be possible in the new version to have dissent become a factor as the war drags on? This would go a long way I think in simulating Germany's situation come 1917.

EDit: Scratch that I guess, there is already war weariness and the entrance of the Americans into the war should achieve this properly.

Last edited:
pako's A-H flag lacked black borders and the colours were a bit too bright, here's a better version:

shieldu11.png

By the way, good news: I just completed my Greece-Crete pack and I started to test it. I'll soon post some screenshot. The upload will also include some small modifications to France and Spain, mostly correct names (no events or ministers sorry :( )

Two things came to my mind:

1) Fashoda: is there any peace event?
2) Revolutionary Mexico: many things are still to do, will anybody work on it?

Thank you so much Melkor for the right scale of the A-H's flag.
So, i think there isn't a peace event for the Fashoda's incident, but what could be the triggering event for peace in your opinion ?

Just another question for Arturius ... i've see the thread on AOD forum .... but do you want make a porting of 1914 mod on the E3 map ???? :eek:

Just another question for Arturius ... i've see the thread on AOD forum .... but do you want make a porting of 1914 mod on the E3 map ???? :eek:

Yes :cool:, currently I'm porting 1914 mod to AOD with E3 map. First only the 1914 scenario and the playable battlescenarios.

@all: Who is or wants to be active for this mod? This forum is like a ghost town. I think, we have to discuss and vote for the future ways of this mod. For that reason we need a standing Mod-Team. I really like this timeframe and I am willing to continue this project. But how big is the interest of the community for it?

Some details: Also I changed worldmap and the energy icon (now it is coal):
zwischenablage01.jpg

Last edited:
That looks like a huge improvement over the current version. The default map just has too few/too large provinces with mediocre borders for the period. I for one am very interested.

I am speechless. Impressing work!! Keep it up!! :D

About myself you can consider me an active contributor, but I can't work full time on this mod due to real life obligations... still, I am very interested in seeing this project complete, so you can count on me to do small tasks, like translations or tech teams.

As I said, at present I have to test my Greece-Crete pack, but first I want to properly install the last version of the mod with all the updates, so that I can upload a fully compatible pack. I don't know how long it will take.

After that, if you want, I can take care of the nations I worked on so far: Italy, Greece, Morocco and maybe some others, adapting their events to the new map.

Really really really an appreciate work Arturius !
I think for me i'm not really a modder ... i had just written the events who you can find in my pack and nothing else.If you want i can be a beta tester :p or a writer of minor event or a flags-hunter :D but no more ...
Keep it up your work and .... i stay tuned !