• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Hagar

East vs West developer<br>CORE Minister of Propaga
107 Badges
Jan 4, 2006
  • Victoria 2
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Majesty 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • War of the Roses
  • 200k Club
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Rise of Prussia
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Deus Vult
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • East India Company
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
Please report your issues either here, or at our own forums.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for getting this out so quick.

I think you already know, but the USA crashes right off the bat.
Yes we know it is on AoD patch 1.03. Apparently it works fine for 1.04RC4 though.

1) Several model icons (like submarine 2 and CL 6) have a small blue Pixel below the upper parts of the number in 16 bit windowed mode. Checked the bmps, guess it is caused by a different, more greyish, shade of black from the number in those parts.
coreiconbugcolor.jpg

2) I have seen a fleetwithout an oil pool (so they couldn't load oil at all), but was neither able to reproduce it, nor did I remember the exact configuration. Investigating the issue.

3) USA crash with 1.03, as reported above.

4) Some AI events are visible ingame (like: "AI JAP: CHI" or "AI ENG: JAP BB1), dunno if this is WAD:
coreaievent.jpg

5) Tech info box & icons are misplaced (16 bit window mode):
coretechicons.jpg

Last edited:
4) Some AI events are visible ingame (like: "AI JAP: CHI" or "AI ENG: JAP BB1), dunno if this is WAD:
coreaievent.jpg
WAD (for now). I'm keen on getting them out, but was overruled this time.

Can somebody tell me more about the "USA crashes" issue?

Is it an economic crash?

Can somebody tell me more about the "USA crashes" issue?

Is it an economic crash?
I presume it's tied in to the 'The Great Depression' event, as that fires at exactly that time... And it works fine with 1.04RC4. As far as I can gather the only combination that has a reproducible crash is that with patch 1.03.

Starting on line 3881 of 'mod-CORE2\db\tech\land_doctrines_tech.txt' and continuing down to line 4168, there's a bunch of tech components with "type = manage". There is no such tech component type (I assume you meant "type = management"), and while the game will load, if you go to the appropriate techs, the game is using the artillery component icon and hovering your mouse over the icon produces no tooltip. Similarly, on line 236 of 'mod-CORE2\db\tech\naval_doctrines_tech.txt', "type = small_taskforce_training" is invalid and should probably be changed to "type = small_taskforce_tactics".

I presume it's tied in to the 'The Great Depression' event, as that fires at exactly that time... And it works fine with 1.04RC4. As far as I can gather the only combination that has a reproducible crash is that with patch 1.03.
Yes, it's this event. Commenting out the "free_manpower = -0.4" and it works again.
I have no idea why the small free manpower causes a crash (crashes even with a positive value) - AFAIR it works with other countries like Germany (SS events etc).

I got the crash on a clean 1.02 + CORE install - but I haven't tried to reproduce it, so I can't say for sure.

Game breaker in the modifiers.csv file (?)

There is a small problem in the data transfer between the modifiers.csv file (mod-CORE2/db/units subdirectory) and the game engine. Unfortunately this has the unpleasent result of messing up all already started games :(, since I haven´t found out a way to effectively alter the data in the modifiers.csv file for saved games. The modifiers then seem to be saved within the saved game file itself.

While the game engine (check during the game the army/air/naval modifiers in the statistics folder) presents seperate lines for "plains_attack" and "plains_defense", the modifiers.csv file of the core2 mod seems to do not.

This results in a shift of all the modifier values up one line in the game modifiers, i.e. starting with "blizzard_Defense" in the modifiers.CSV is "plains_attack" in the game, "snow_defense" in the modifiers.CSV is "blizzard_defense" in the game, and so on down the list up to "urban_defense".

Since the line "plains_defense" is missing also in the modifiers.csv all lines below starting with "urban_defense" have shifted up two lines, i.e. "blizzard_move" in the modifiers.csv is "swamp_defense" in the game and so on down to the end of the file.

You can easily check this by comparing both files using a windowed game mode. But consider, that some of the values in the game have been slightly changed from the modifiers.csv values due to technology modifiers altering them within the game. Still the shifts are obvious.

It is easy to fix though. The missing lines just need to be inserted at the right position in the modifiers.csv file within the core-mod/db/units folder ("ATT_Plains" below ATT_Fort" and "DEF_Plains" below "DEF_Urban" and set 0 for all values - or slight alterations as you like).
Unfortunately this might also ruin a lot of the already done combat balancing since the wrong modifiers completely messed up the combat values starting with "plains_attack" down the list :wacko:. Especially the Plains defense and urban defense modifiers get rather large negative modifiers, most likely resulting in two quick combat in the basic core game testing. This has been "corrected" (?) by a reduction in the land combat org damage in the misc file from 0.6 to 0.3.
With a corrected modifiers.csv file this drop in the land combat org damage (misc file in the core-mod/db folder) propably then might be too big (I recommend a 0.45 to 0.55 from my experience), as combat lasts longer with the corrected modifiers, especially in plains and urban terrain in comparison to the oringinal AOD core game testing.

When I modded the vanilla game some weeks ago I also used the original core modifiers.csv file for my modification. And did the same mistake by overseeing the missing the "ATT_Plains" and "DEF_Plains" lines in the modifiers.csv file. It ruined the game, since all movement and combat has freaky modifiers then, which I more or less found out in 1939 in my game, due to ridiculuos slow movement in hills and forrest terrain and rather quick in mountains. I checked the modifiers in the game then et voila: Shit! I appologize for not giving you the hint based on my moddding experience with vanilla AOD by then, as I assumed the 0.49 core mod was aware of the problem due to the game testing in the past weeks and quickly started a game without checking the "old" (in my experience) problem and . Unfortunately it doesn´t seem to have been corrected yet and it requires players to start over - or someone can explain me how to insert the corrected modifiers.csv into a saved game.

I am also seeing a crash with the SS events -
the one where you choose is fine, the first unit is fine. The event to turn it into a mot. inf. crashes the game however

AoD 1.4 RC4

Attempt to fix the crash with free_manpower

At all with crashes, please try the attached file:

text.csv
The Core configuration how to display the free manpower command was a little bit different from vanilla. I extracted the vanilla string (located in new_text.csv) and replaced the string used by Core (here in text.csv)
Please backup the mod-Core2\config\text.csv, unzip the attached version and use it as replacement.

Note: This is an experimental fix and should only be used by those with crashes !!

EDIT: Seems to work, I installed another copy of AoD, updated to 1.03, installed Core 049 and tried to get the USA game past January, 2nd but Boom. With the file replaced it goes further.

Attachments

• text.zip
    276,2 KB · Views: 95
Last edited: