• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
chapter158tile.gif

Chapter CLVIII: Another One Bites the Dust (Battle of the Dunes)​

14 June 1643 – Dunkirk

The soldier's mouth chewed into the sandy dune in agony. Blood was covering his eyes like some infernal nightfall. The bodies of his comrades convulsed as they were heaped on top of him. The vermilion colour poured into the dunes and caked them into a mush. Nothing could stop the gore. Turenne could not believe it. Enghien could not understand it. Schenkhuizen ordered the men to flee, but the commander would give no order. The Prince was spirited away, but Turenne could only watch in horror.

They were bleeding. From everywhere. Not a single shot was fired, yet the vanguard was dying. A white flag of parley was drawn up on either side, but neither group wanted to cross the battle lines. “It's a plague!” someone had shouted. The only other sound were the moans of Spanish soldiers forming a lake of blood in between the two armies.

What started as a chance encounter between two scouting parties ended with the discovery by the two armies that the first Spanish force was dying. The general retreat was sounded on the Spanish side. Turenne, being suspicious already from the event and noticing that it was only Spanish troops afflicted sensed some kind of trap. He ordered his men to break as well. The two armies disengaged although both commanders asked several scouts to stay behind to observe.

All these scouts could tell the generals was that they had seen a black rock come out of the water in the Channel, and that a lance of fire exited the rock, hovered over the battlefield and then exploded like a dozen cannonballs. Nothing happened to them immediately following that event, but after they had reported this to their masters, they bled from every pore.

1986 – Havana

The tuxedo clung to Antonio stiffly. The starched fabric hung onto him like iron shackles and the cold sting of the night air whipping against his sweat made him shiver. He looked out at the Bahia de la Habana's nightly darkness and listened to the hushed crashing of waves against the beach. Antonio wanted to feel the darkness around him if it weren't for the radiant moon that reminded him of the Sun's presence heating up the other side of the world. He wanted the horizon to be the dark lids of the world closing shut.

He hadn't spoken a word to Nia on their way to Cuba. In fact, his mind was too buy calculating and recalculating the impossible to notice most of what was happening around him. He responded to her requests with an instinctual caution, but the rest of his mind was too busy pondering what it was that Nia wanted to show him. He was too busy even to note that they had traveled to Havana in a jet black aircraft of a kind he'd never seen before.

After a few more minutes of contemplation, Antonio turned back to the glass doorway that led into Nia's Havana apartment. It was not surprising that she had quite a few hideouts, though it was more fair to say that this home she had bought along the shores of the gulf was like a summer getaway than it was a clandestine supply depot. It had been an hour since he had gone out to buy his tuxedo at Nia's request. There was no chance that she would escape, he had understood. This was all part of her show now. There was a note on the door.

Hi Antonio, the note began, I'm getting dressed. The door's open. Come inside and make yourself a drink. - Nia

Antonio crushed the coy note in his fist before opening the portal and stepping inside. The white enamel walls and the subtle windows all reflected or transferred the bay's picturesque presence all over the living room. The white carpet sank underneath Antonio's shoe. “Hello?” he called out to the uninhabited space.

As if in response, one of the doors on his far right slid open and leather boots stepped out of the darkness within followed by the subtle tone of tanned skin wrapped in an ebony dress. A smiling face crowned by long strands of hair spoke to him. “The bar's next to the fireplace if you want--”

“No more games,” was the only response.

Nia paused for a second, but her expression was unaltered. “Let's go then. We won't keep them waiting.”

“Where are we going?” Antonio asked as Nia began to move towards the exit.

“Don Francisco's party,” Nia replied casually.

“And that's where your proof is?” Antonio was a bit annoyed.

“Yes,” Nia smirked as she stepped outside of the door. “It's where your wife is afterall.”

---​

“Under the name Lynd,” Nia told the old man greeting them. “I called ahead for a skybooth,” she added as the man slid a gloved hand down a laminated sheet.

“Ahh yes,” the man replied to the two with a smile, “up the left stairway. Number nine.”

They proceeded through the main lobby which was abuzz with men and women in evening dress and gowns. The congregation even had a few foreigners in native costume. Taking the left staircase, Nia led the way at a steady pace while her eyes peered back every once in a while to an Antonio who seemed to only notice the faces milling in the crowd.

“She won't be down here,” Nia assured him. Antonio looked up at Nia just for a moment before quickening his pace and averting his eyes from the crowd below.

Their booth was a spacious affair of leather seats and sofas facing a glass wall which revealed the inner courtyard of the mansion. Nia advanced towards the glass partition which arched outward and, taking hold of a small apparatus near the side of it, opened the portal which revealed a small balcony ringing their suite with two sets of stairways on either terminating end leading down into the courtyard. Antonio could immediately hear the sound of music and people talking as the door opened and he took a few steps towards the exit to find that the entire courtyard below, save for where the fountain was splashing cordially, was filled with a blanket of people.

Antonio was observing the movement of the crowd and looked at the other booths dotting the inner edge of that large courtyard before looking back to Nia who had sat down on one of the sofas. From the corner of his eye, he noticed someone stepping into the room from the hallway door from whence they came. “Señor, Señora: May I get you two anything tonight?” the man asked as he politely handed a leather-bound menu to Nia's outstretched hand.

Antonio spied the attendant for a moment and scrutinized Nia's casual glances at the menu as if at any moment, some secret exchange of information was about to occur. The waiter was kind enough to walk past the sofa and hand Antonio a menu. He took it tentatively and looked through the items as if hoping to find some cryptic cipher.

“I'll take the house martini,” Nia finally said.

Antonio's eyes darted upward. “The house martini is five pesos,” he said almost irrationally. Nia nodded with a shrug. “That's a martini...” Antonio continued to investigate, “that's gin and vermouth.”

“Last I heard,” Nia held back a chuckle at Antonio's increasing paranoia.

“And it's five pesos?” Antonio turned to the waiter, “You don't put heroin into it do you?”

The waiter just gave him a puzzled look. “No, Señor...”

Antonio studied the waiter's face and then Nia's bemused expression before passing the menu back to the man. “Just checking... I don't want anything right now.”

“I'll be right back with your drink, Señora,” the waiter said quickly before stepping out.

Antonio, perhaps realizing the tension in his body, stepped heavily over to the other sofa opposite Nia and sat himself down with a gruff exhale. His eyes, finally allowing the tiredness to break through the barrier of his irises, looked at Nia with an unsteady focus. “What now?” he asked quietly.

“Now we wait. Don't worry,” she added while leaning forward to pull a cigarette from her purse, “It won't be long.” Antonio sighed and pulled his head back to rest it for a moment against the leather seat. His hand pushed through his hair and caught the sweat and gel that held it together. “So: I hear you were visiting Amsterdam before you came to El Salvador,” Nia said as she clicked her lighter on.

“Yeah...” Antonio replied tiredly though he ruffled his forehead wondering if there was something more to that question.

“How long were you there?” Nia asked as she tugged on her cigarette with her lips. “We haven't kept in contact much.”

“I'm sure you already know how long I was there for,” Antonio replied with a sigh, still responding to the ceiling. His eyes were finding soft patterns on the stucco design above.

“I can't help it,” Nia flashed a grin that Antonio couldn't see. “It's not like you didn't check up on me every once in a while yourself.”

“Last I heard of you... you were part of a five woman team. I guess now I understand it was just a decoy to keep you distanced from Abaddon.”

There was the small click of the hall door opening and the waiter returned with a small tray. “Your drink, Señora,” he announced as he placed the concoction on the table between the two before making a quick exit. Antonio watched the man as he moved, part of him still wondering if there was anything more to the exchange. Nia, on the other hand, picked up the drink and took a small sip. Antonio watched her examine the flavour in her mouth as if she was standing before an El Greco.

“Do you mind if I take a sip of that?” Antonio found himself asking. “I just want to see what a five peso martini tastes like.”

“Sure,” Nia said, placing her drink closer to him. He took it casually and touched the rim to his lips.

He paused for a second, ventured a second sip, and then returned the deep goblet to its original position. “Not bad,” he sighed, as if a tension wire unwound on his shoulders. He leaned back on the sofa a bit more. “Not like any I've ever tasted before.”

“It's the Angostura. The rest tastes like... hundred proof Solitchnaya, Tanqueray, and Kina Lillet. You can obviously see the lemon twist,” she concluded with a smile.

“So who is this Don Francisco anyway?” Antonio interrupted, returning once again to his view of the ceiling.

“A biologist,” Nia replied succinctly. “He runs a clinic on one of the islands. They say he can make you live forever...” There was a twist to Nia's words as well.

“And why is he throwing a party tonight?” Antonio asked as he brought up his arms to rub some of the tiredness out of his eyes.

“A charity ball. Though it's just a front for a new biological weapon he's developed called 'Anochecer Sangriento[1]'. He plans on demonstrating it to his benefactors tonight...”

“So what does Isabella have to do with all this...”

Nia suddenly rose to her feet. Antonio could hear it too: there was someone announcing something at the courtyard.

“And now, ladies and gentlemen,” the voice was booming over the microphone. “the moment you have all been waiting for. The world famous Havana Tango contest.” There was a flurry of applause that followed. “Now who will be our first contestants?”

Nia's head turned strategically at Antonio. “That's our cue,” she said plainly.

“I'm not dancing with you, Nia--” Antonio sighed.

“Not for a dance: although I wouldn't mind the detour. But now's our chance to get to what I wanted to show you. Come on.” Antonio barely got up out of the sofa when Nia slipped down one of the stairwells from the balcony. Antonio quickly followed the black and leather figure down into the crowd. Her quick steps nearly evaded him as she weaved through spectators. He was trying his best not to bump into any of the guests. By the time he had crossed the entire courtyard, he saw her climb one of the stairs to a different balcony. He quickly looked behind him before following upward.

Nia was already to the hallway door when Antonio reached the booth.

“Where--” Antonio tried to ask, but Nia's finger snapped against her lips.

Antonio walked carefully to where Nia was standing as that woman pressed her ear against the door. Satisfied with her observations, she clicked the portal open and crossed into the hallway. Antonio followed quickly behind her, shooting glances down both ends of the hallway. Nia rushed to what seemed like an elevator and slammed a key she quickly procured out of her purse into the locking mechanism. After a few tense moments of looking up and down the hall once more, the doors slid open and both rushed inside.

---​

A hand reached out to touch the metal casing in the middle of the chamber. Small lights gave the laboratory a neon glow.

“Even a fourteen year old could activate the delivery mechanism,” a raspy voice assured the one touching the suspended object.

“How about a three year old?” was the question from the one with the outstretched hand.

“Well that...” the voice faltered a little. “If they knew which buttons... But any chance of escape by someone that old--”

“Don't worry about that for now. His Lordship is waiting for us to demonstrate our new weapon. Let's not keep him waiting.”

“Yes, Don Francisco. Of course.” The raspy voice gathered itself in a deep breath before catching the attention of various men (some with weapons others with white coats) with his shout: “Insert sample programme 1A and move the rest to the sub pen! Make sure those cameras are recording also!”

There was a general commotion as the capsule suspended in the middle was now lowered into a small hole below it. Lights flickered and small beeps spread throughout the room. Nia and Antonio had been watching quietly from inside one of the ventilation shafts. The intimate crawl space was also exacerbated by the grills on the vent which obscured their view: especially of the face of Don Francisco.

After the object was lowered into the ground and the floor sealed up after it, the entire room was quiet. It also seemed to be completely abandoned. It was then that Nia pushed the grill off and slid into the laboratory. Antonio crawled out after her. “Most of them should be at the submarine pen below now,” Nia explained as she moved about the monitors pressing buttons and looking at green text.

“I still don't understand,” Antonio said to her back, “what does all this have to do with Isabella...”

“Hmm... she left him alone,” was Nia thinking out loud.

“Left who alone?” Antonio asked stepping up towards the monitors. Unfortunately, the words were only gibberish to him.

“I'm afraid Isabella must have stepped out... I was hoping you could talk to her in person,” Nia lamented with a curt sigh.

“What do you mean 'stepped out'? Where did she go and why is she here?”

“The next best thing would be the proof, I suppose,” Nia was continuing to talk to herself. “Room 7G...”

Antonio couldn't interrogate her any further before Nia slid back into the air duct. Antonio took one last glimpse at the information on the screen before following behind Nia, conscious enough to replace the grill back on the vent.

The hallway that they exited into was cold. The air conditioning hummed in the background like the grinding of some giant underground worm. “7G” was written on a doorway near the end of the hall and Nia, once again with the mystery of her key, unlocked the mechanism. But instead of swinging the doorway open, only a small hatch moved in the larger frame. Nia looked inside the hatch first before looking back at Antonio.

“What's in there...” Antonio looked on curiously.

“My proof,” Nia replied before stepping aside. Antonio knelt down to the position of the hatch and looked through as well.

Immediately, however, his head twisted to look at Nia's eyes. “That's no proof! That's my son!” he shouted incredulously.

Nia's grin widened. “No, it's my proof. And no, that isn't your son.” Nia reached into her dress and pulled out a long metal tweezer. “Pull a hair sample and--”

Antonio rushed to his feet and slammed his arms into Nia's shoulders, pressing her up against that door. “Open this thing,” he demanded.

Nia tilted her head at him, and that grin quivered for a second when she noticed the wet film building up on Antonio's eyes. “I can't... and I wouldn't want to anyway,” Nia replied slowly, “this door is the only thing protecting him from the weapon. Isabella was right in putting him in here...”

“The weapon?” Antonio was dumbfounded. “Why would Isabella...”

“There's no time to explain just—” Nia tried to instruct him, but Antonio disengaged from her quickly.

The desperate man knelt down at the hatch again. “Rodrigo!” he called out through the space, “Wake up, son... Daddy's--”

“He's probably sedated,” Nia cut in. “This is your only chance at proof, Antonio.” She shoved the tweezers at his hand. “I need to close this hatch soon and we need to leave otherwise that weapon will not just kill us... but this boy too.”

Antonio was not responsive. In his kneeling position, he lowered his head until he was in that sad, familiar, position that Nia found him in when she first woke up. “Why is this happening...” Antonio muttered almost angrily, but there was a sigh tucked in that expression as if he was trying to talk while bleeding out of his mouth.

A few seconds passed as Nia merely watched the pathetic man shake his head. It was then that she dropped the tweezers on the floor and seized either cheek of Antonio's face and turned it in her direction. “I'm very sorry, Antonio,” she said plainly to his face, with her sharp and sculpted eyebrows visibly shaking, “I'm very sorry that I have to do this. But you've been through hardship after hardship just like I have... this is your chance to finally release yourself from it all.” Antonio was looking at her eyes, darting left an right, quivering in his attention to her. “Take the sample and we'll go. Even now when you feel the most alone—I”

Nia nearly caught her breath. Instead, she leaned in slowly enveloping that saddened face with the veil of her midnight hair. Her lips warmed Antonio's slack mouth. She did it slowly, tucking his upper lip between hers first before tugging similarly at the bottom. She pulled back quietly, and as her eyes reopened, Antonio's eyes locked with hers. His lips tightened for a moment and a slow breath rolled out of his throat. His palm gently moved up and touched the hand that was pressing against his right cheek. His left hand took the metal tool off the floor.

He slowly pulled back from her hold and, with one hand still connected with Nia's, he reached through the small hatch with his left arm and delicately plucked a strand of Rodrigo's hair. Nia procured a plastic vial and Antonio placed the little object into it.

interlude2.gif

Interlude​

Rodrigo shoved the Timepiece into the bag. His heart was still racing from the previous encounter and Captain DeWitt looking on made him even more nervous. “Got it...” Rodrigo muttered as he slid off the platform where the object was housed.

“Luckily there's a shortcut to the subpen from here--”

Captain DeWitt walked over to one of the hallways and slid his keycard through the machine before typing in a few codes on the wall. Rodrigo took a moment to take in his surroundings as he stepped gingerly to where Captain DeWitt was working on the door. The chamber which held the Timepiece itself was the coldest place in the entire facility, he felt. Small clouds of vapour slid downward from the raised dais that had held the Timepiece at the center of the round chamber. Wires and tubes hung about on the ceiling and there were several doorways leading in and out of the chamber. It was from one of these doorways that a small object rolled into the chamber.. and detonated.

Rodrigo had managed to press his back against the central dais and he squeezed the pistol he still had with him against the back which he pressed against his chest. He could feel the circular weight of the Timepiece inside the bag. He was looking, however, at the incapacitated body of Captain DeWitt on the far end of the chamber.

Sehen sie nach ob der Junge noch lebt,[2]” a cold voice was heard though artificially: as if it was said through a microphone.

Rodrigo could hear two sets of footsteps moving around the dais, flanking him on either side. He had no choice, he had to move. He threw the bag up and to his left and, rolling on the floor as he heard some bullets rip through the air above him, he unloaded some bullets into the heavily armoured soldier in front of him. The machine gun fire sprayed upwards as that soldier collapsed back, just in time for Rodrigo to turn to the other direction and catch the other soldier as he was turning the corner. He missed once but a sickly crack followed his second and third shots.

It was then that a masked figure slipped into his vision like a thunderbolt. A brief flash of orange air only gave Rodrigo enough time to raise his pistol high enough to deflect the incoming bullet by accident. The weapon flung out of his hand just as the second shot erupted. Rodrigo, thankfully, had lunged back to the dais, but he was already too far. When the third shot came out, only the bag that contained the Timepiece was his defense. When he pulled up the object to cover himself, the bullet ripped through the fabric and deflected to the side.

Rodrigo desperately tried to stand, holding the object in his hand. But the masked German was too quick. A fourth shot aimed for his head moved like lightning towards Rodrigo's face. But then it hovered there like a specimen caught in suspension: a bullet froze in the air. Then it dropped on the floor. Another shot, causing Rodrigo to wince, but once again, the bullet stopped a few inches from him and dropped to the floor.

“What is going on...” Rodrigo uttered in confusion.

The man in front of him holstered his gun and stepped forward to this invisible barrier that separated him from the boy. Rodrigo was too afraid to move as if moving to any other spot would somehow negate the divine protection placed upon him. He gasped as the slink of a blade erupted out of the masked one's sleeve. The German pointed it at Rodrigo's face, and then, very slowly, pushed forward inch by inch. Rodrigo watched morbidly as the blade moved closer and closer to him.

Die langsame Klinger durchdringt den Schild[3],” the man's muffled voice said in front of him.

Rodrigo panted heavily as the blade made its way closer and closer to him... Finally, realizing that the sharp object was indeed making its way towards him, he pushed, as hard as he could, the Timepiece forward. The man in front of him fell backward and the force surprised even Rodrigo although the bag did not make any contact with the man. Rodrigo did not waste any time, however. Dropping the Timepiece, he reached down for the weapon he had dropped and unloaded what was left of his clip into the man in front of him who shuddered with every bullet fired.

One bullet in particular grazed the masks's corner and, with an explosion of vapour, cast aside the partition. Rodrigo gagged, as the face underneath revealed a mass of brain and blood. He first thought that he had blown the man's face clean off before he realized that the exposed matter and organs... was alive. The man, stood up, although Rodrigo's finger squeezed the trigger dry firing the empty weapon. “Who the hell are you!” Rodrigo exclaimed.

“Only I have the brains to use the Timepiece,” the man snickered half a face at him as he strained the Spanish words. Rodrigo could only gape in disgust at the man's true form. “But if I can't have it today, then neither will you.” The man jumped backward, back into the darkness of the hallway in which he came. That's when all went white and explosions knocked Rodrigo to the ground.

Rodrigo's mind went blank and although he had clung onto the Timepiece, all he could feel was the hotness of air surrounding him and his voice screaming out. In this white space, however, after a few seconds of nothing, he heard a voice. “Don't ever give up my son...”

A few seconds was necessary for Rodrigo to process the voice. “Father?” was the only thing that escaped his lips. It was by then that Rodrigo's eyes slowly opened. Fire and alarms were all around him and the once serene flow of vapour from the machines had turned into smoke and flame. His eyes reached where Captain DeWitt was still on the floor and he moved to him. There was slight movement from the body and, with all of his might, he heaved the soldier to his feet and pulled him up. His eyes scanned the exits, some already engulfed in flames, others locked.

The voice came again. “Follow me, Rodrigo.” It was definitely coming from one of the corridors. Heaving Captain DeWitt with him, Rodrigo pressed forward and into the corridor as the area behind him began to collapse under the fire. He sprinted as best as he could as he could feel the heat behind him rising. “This way, Rodrigo,” he heard as he thought he saw a shadow turn a corner up ahead. He followed it breathlessly, pumping his legs. He slammed his back against one of the walls as he turned, but he kept going. “Never give up, trust your instincts,” was the next cryptic clue as Rodrigo gasped and coughed the dirty air as he turned yet another corner. It was then that he could see the exit to the subpen. His last bit of energy surged him forward and as he approached the doorway, he thought he could hear faintly: “You've become so strong, Rodrigo...”

Chapter CLIX: The Father (coming soon)

-----

[1] “Bloody Nightfall” is the translation . Thanks to Kurt_Steiner for being a faithful hermano and coming up with this name at the wee hours of the morning for me ! Gracias !

[2] “Go see if the boy is still alive.” Thanks a bunch to our dear trekaddict , German speaker extraordinaire !

[3] “The slow blade penetrates the shield.” Thanks again to trekaddict for the translation XD .

Another One Bites the Dust

OW! And I'd just recovered from the last one! canonized, we're going to have to hold an intervention. :p

Also, it seems that my studying of German has paid off, I didn't even need the translations. ;)

Thank you, canonized, for another masterful episode. I thought the seperate threads were especially well written in maintaining a constant level of suspense. I smiled when I picked up the Pulp Fiction reference at the start of the Nia section and I congratulate you on how you were able to play that out that in joke during the story without it distorting the plot development.

You have written many fine episodes, but this is one of my favourites.

OW! And I'd just recovered from the last one! canonized, we're going to have to hold an intervention. :p

Also, it seems that my studying of German has paid off, I didn't even need the translations. ;)

Haha well done XD . And good thing ! You're reminding me to get on AIM again . You have no idea how much it warms my heart to know you're back about , JM XD

Thank you, canonized, for another masterful episode. I thought the seperate threads were especially well written in maintaining a constant level of suspense. I smiled when I picked up the Pulp Fiction reference at the start of the Nia section and I congratulate you on how you were able to play that out that in joke during the story without it distorting the plot development.

You have written many fine episodes, but this is one of my favourites.

Thank you ! This was a bit of a longer update as you may have noticed (or not noticed haha) and I wanted to bring some more of the various storylines together . There was a lot of debate with myself about how I wanted to deal with the Pulp Fiction reference (it kind of happened by accident since I was like 'Hmm .. Mia sounds like Nia har har har" while I was watching the movie the other day) but I thought focusing more on what's going on rather than dropping another reference bomb on you guys was the best bet haha and i'm glad it paid off ! I'm glad you really liked this one . I especially enjoyed Nia's tender moment with Antonio XD

Found in this episode:

2 Pop Culture References (Check One: Pulp Fiction)
1 Sci Fi Reference
1 Console Game Reference

Another splendid update!

I particularly liked the Pulp Fiction reference - Mrs Nia Wallace? ;)

Again, I enjoyed the interlude immensely - you managed to pace the action and tension of that scene masterfuly!

Dune!

Also, interesting and fun episode, though I still have no clue what is going on with the whole kid of Antonio... who IS his son?

Okay, Dune is a certainty.

I'm tempted to say Bond (Lynd)

An interesting episode, even if very little actually happened (mostly postponed)

yay, caught up! :cool:

but...
what now? is the wait for updates going to make me crazy like everyone else?

on the positive side, now I have time to find the references:

(Strenght/sloth chapter)
There were 4 songs referenced , 1 sci fi reference , 1 anime reference , 1 star wars reference , and of course , the Dante reference .

bohemian rhapsody, we are the champions, don't stop me now, aaand.. :confused: gah, missing one - or did you mean Another one bites the dust ("coming soon") ?

What was it this time? Iocane? Fex-M3?”

“Apotoxin 4869,”
princess bride, star wars and Meitantei Conan

Dante reference: Katja/Lillith emulating the siren Casella and/or Inigio/Belmont emulating Dante/Cato in the same scene?

(three cheers for wikipedia)

Another splendid update!

I particularly liked the Pulp Fiction reference - Mrs Nia Wallace? ;)

Again, I enjoyed the interlude immensely - you managed to pace the action and tension of that scene masterfuly!

Thank you ! And yes , kind of funny how that reference worked out .

Dune!

Also, interesting and fun episode, though I still have no clue what is going on with the whole kid of Antonio... who IS his son?

Yes the Dune reference XD aside from the chapter picture of course ! And as for the son of Antonio , a good question XD

Okay, Dune is a certainty.

I'm tempted to say Bond (Lynd)

An interesting episode, even if very little actually happened (mostly postponed)

Yes , plus that was the Vesper martini XD Surprised no one picked up on that .

yay, caught up! :cool:

but...
what now? is the wait for updates going to make me crazy like everyone else?

on the positive side, now I have time to find the references:

(Strenght/sloth chapter)

bohemian rhapsody, we are the champions, don't stop me now, aaand.. :confused: gah, missing one - or did you mean Another one bites the dust ("coming soon") ?

princess bride, star wars and Meitantei Conan

Dante reference: Katja/Lillith emulating the siren Casella and/or Inigio/Belmont emulating Dante/Cato in the same scene?

(three cheers for wikipedia)

Haha , A+ for that . And yes now you have to slug it out week after week for slower paced reading XD Glad to know you've caught up though :D It's always encouraging to see new readers catch up : it always excites me to write more !

Ahh I know I haven't posted an update in a few weeks ! It's been finals season here at the uni and everyone's been busy . Although I myself don't have finals , I've been caught up in rather busy things including a silly little romance that I've ... aherm .. well I won't discuss that here . Either way , with a little bit of reinvigoration , I'll have an update within the next 2-3 days !

Gah, you beat me to it. The update post that is, not the romance. Speaking of which, why not spill the details here? It's not like we will tell.

Anyway....

Chapter 20 San Francisco

Then Time: March 1582 - Reynault, Carmen and Amin go to San Francisco to investgate the Schwarzschild Giuld. They find nothing until they check with the Church and learn of the name, David Chopin, as the local head of the Guild, based in the Chinatown district. Deep in Chopin's mansion, named Little China, Chopin carries out gruesome rituals in his hidden lair, turning the locals into undead.

Meanwhile, back in the Silent Room, Cardinal de Witt is taking a situation report. All is going well. For the next 40 years, they will be focusing on conversions and colonization. The Cardinal receives a letter which forces him to immediately set out for San Francisco with 11 Lions, eqiuped with Special weopons.

Now Time: Lara and Carlos talk about their missing friends. Lara teases Carlos and Carlos offers to play a game. They are suddenly interrupted by a phone call from Rodrigo and receive a mysterious summons.

Game concepts: It has been over 3 years since this episode was written. Three years!!!
In game humour/post modern referentialism: Lots of little asides. Big Trouble in Little China, Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, 2001 A Space Odyssey and Wargames nicely intertwined.
Shower scenes: You must be joking. Here is a handy hint, Carlos. If you are in a girl's bedroom and her parents are out, the answer to "do you want to play a game?" is NOT "chess". Oy vey!

Well, just read the whole thing. Took a while too.
And as a result, I picked up on a couple inconsequential things relating to Miss Madeleine. You know, like the Lain reference, and that Herr Gehirn needs to get hit with a train. ^_^

Oh, and a little theory about the Timepiece too. Anyone who's played Xenogames in the audience? Think Zohar.

Other than that, I'm off to lurk some more, but I'll be reading!

Three days gone, as said. No update. Peti, attack!

:D

Gah, you beat me to it. The update post that is, not the romance. Speaking of which, why not spill the details here? It's not like we will tell.

Anyway....

Chapter 20 San Francisco

Then Time: March 1582 - Reynault, Carmen and Amin go to San Francisco to investgate the Schwarzschild Giuld. They find nothing until they check with the Church and learn of the name, David Chopin, as the local head of the Guild, based in the Chinatown district. Deep in Chopin's mansion, named Little China, Chopin carries out gruesome rituals in his hidden lair, turning the locals into undead.

Meanwhile, back in the Silent Room, Cardinal de Witt is taking a situation report. All is going well. For the next 40 years, they will be focusing on conversions and colonization. The Cardinal receives a letter which forces him to immediately set out for San Francisco with 11 Lions, eqiuped with Special weopons.

Now Time: Lara and Carlos talk about their missing friends. Lara teases Carlos and Carlos offers to play a game. They are suddenly interrupted by a phone call from Rodrigo and receive a mysterious summons.

Game concepts: It has been over 3 years since this episode was written. Three years!!!
In game humour/post modern referentialism: Lots of little asides. Big Trouble in Little China, Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, 2001 A Space Odyssey and Wargames nicely intertwined.
Shower scenes: You must be joking. Here is a handy hint, Carlos. If you are in a girl's bedroom and her parents are out, the answer to "do you want to play a game?" is NOT "chess". Oy vey!

Haha thanks again for the summary XD . I always love the comments . And I'll actually reveal some details in a special way in between these upcoming updates XD

Well, just read the whole thing. Took a while too.
And as a result, I picked up on a couple inconsequential things relating to Miss Madeleine. You know, like the Lain reference, and that Herr Gehirn needs to get hit with a train. ^_^

Oh, and a little theory about the Timepiece too. Anyone who's played Xenogames in the audience? Think Zohar.

Other than that, I'm off to lurk some more, but I'll be reading!

Huzzah ! I love more lurkers coming out of the woodwork always inspiring to get me to actually get off my ass and work haha . I'm glad someone got the Lain reference XD I work hard to put these references in , you know ! But please don't stay a lurker ! I promise you lots of goodies for more comments as we go along ! And thank you again for reading up !

Three days gone, as said. No update. Peti, attack!

:D

Your wish is my command ! here comes an update XD just call off peti !

This bodes well for shower scenes! :p

What a coincidence XD this update has a terribly beautiful shower scene . Uploading it in a few seconds !

chapter159tile.gif

Chapter CLIX: The Father​

16 June 1643

“You promised us results,” Kramm nearly shouted as he stood stiffly at one end of the long, red lit chamber. “Instead we just get a few dozen dead for something that's supposed to eliminate entire cities! Schenkhuizen is still out there with--”

“With the people who are supposed to be there,” the low voice from the man sitting and smoking cut him off. “We need them alive. Permanently stopping this empire means that France and the Netherlands will need Enghien, Turenne, and the Prince.”

Kramm's nose twitched and the right side of his lip jabbed into his cheek. “We should have just shelled Lisbon and Barcelona with those two warheads,” he said, though with half as much conviction.

“It's lucky with didn't,” a more jovial voice chimed in from behind the smoking man. “The yield isn't strong enough yet. It would have only caused what would seem like a small outbreak of the plague.”

Kramm's frustrated eyes switched from the German inhaling smoke to the civilian-dressed Englishman to the rear of the chamber. “And you promised us this new weapon would change everything!” he shouted at Charles Woodhouse.

“It will in due time,” Charles responded calmly. “Unlike you gentlemen, the time when I'm from had laboratories and guided missiles to achieve such ends, not this relic of the days gone by. For now... let's resupply in Brighton.”

---​

Brighton

Woodhouse looked over the field along the beach in Brighton with a melancholy detachment. It wasn't all that long ago when he had saved the rebel army from destruction here with his skirmishers. He could even still see the marks on the ground where the grenades had left their mark: an innovation by the infamous General Wiers. Although the summer sun moved through the sky, the channel's chilly wind contracted his figure until he was holding his coat closed.

“I didn't think I'd come back here again, honestly,” he said out loud as he looked to Mcleod who was standing next to him on the pier. As he moved his eyes to look at the Scotsman, he also noticed the vast array of Spanish formations bustling about in the city. Brighton was definitely a Spanish city again. His betrayal—or so he couldn't help but think of it as such—helped to make all of what he saw possible. Mcleod looked back at him with an indifferent look. “Betrayal begets betrayal, I think,” Woodhouse mumbled.

“So why are we here anyway, sir?” Mcleod asked.

Woodhouse looked out towards the channel once again before pulling out the small piece of paper from his trouser pocket. He handed it off to Mcleod who unfolded it to read. “I guess it makes sense,” Woodhouse explained as Mcleod looked over the information. “If you want to hide from someone, you should hide where they are least likely to look. In this case, that mysterious metal boat of some kind that I saw is here in Brighton... and we're going to find it.”

“And we'll finally found out about your father?” Mcleod asked Woodhouse. Bevan looked at the young man's eyes and read the motivations behind the question. He nodded solemnly.

“And we'll find justice for your father as well,” he said.

---​

1986 – El Salvador

Nia had bought some extra tea the night before since Antonio had refused to drink almost anything else. A week after getting three separate DNA results confirming the same thing, Antonio had said to her that he was done drinking. He wouldn't even drink coffee. After the second week he had started eating well again: something she in particular was worried about.

Even though Antonio kept a separate room in her mountain villa, she couldn't help but wake up in the mornings when she would hear him stir in the other room. She would wait in her bed as Antonio would get up for a morning run along the mountainside. By the time he returned, a simple breakfast was ready for him. They didn't eat together, however. Nia would always have her breakfast on the little countertop space where the kitchen windowed into the dining room. Antonio would always sit on the table and scarf down whatever he was given.

He would always take a while with his tea as the sunbeams slowly filled the rooms. He always spent time thinking every morning. Nia would take her walk then. At least she would say it was a walk: to be more precise she was checking in with her various machinations and contacts around the globe either through the wireless or by checking various dropoff locations in the town at the foot of the mountain.

Once she returned, she would take her shower, get dressed, and (usually) fly off to some operation or job or meeting somewhere in the world. Antonio wouldn't go anywhere. At least Nia never noticed him leave. Depending on how long Nia's incursions were, she would return at different times to find him doing different things. Sometimes when she didn't leave at all, she would find him going out again to climb the rockface closest to the villa. In the late afternoons he would go to mass at the town below—every day it seemed.

He had taken up painting in the evenings. Journaling, too, as far as she could tell, though she respected his privacy. He had come back one day with canvas and oils and had converted one of the courtyards into a sun-bathed painting studio. She would bring him tea every now and then, but they never talked. In fact, they hadn't spoken since the DNA tests. At least not until the fourth week.

In the middle of the fourth week, Nia had returned late from an overseas trip. It was probably eleven at night when she stepped in to find the room heavy with the aroma of something savory When she stepped curiously into the kitchen, she found Antonio sitting on the other side of the dinner table with his arms quietly crossed across his chest. “Welcome back,” he said.

“What's this?” she asked noticing the plate placed on the side of the table closest to her.

Kare-Kare,” Antonio replied.

“Since when did you learn to cook this?” Nia asked with a chuckle as she casually seated herself.

“Just today,” Antonio answered. “I was looking up a few things in your files when I found the recipe for it.”

Nia didn't change her expression: she maintained the smile and served herself some of the rice and then ladled the main dish on top of it. She never broke eye contact with the silent figure on the other end. “Find anything else interesting?”

“You kept a lot from me,” Antonio said plainly.

“You could have looked any time,” Nia replied quickly, finally looking down at the beautiful peanut sauce dripping through the white rice. “It's not like I was hiding any of it. I figured you'd read into it when you were ready.”

Antonio looked down at what he had cooked as well. “I can't believe she could lie even with her body like that,” he whispered almost into his food, painfully.

“We women are used to it,” Nia spooned herself a portion and tasted it daintily. “It's one way we deal with the imperfect world.”

Antonio looked up at her before casting his gaze downward again. “It'll be impossible for me to go back now,” Antonio verbalized.

“Do you even really want to?” Nia interrupted her eating to ask the question.

Antonio unbound his arms and let them rest on his thighs. He looked up once more to the face staring at him from the other end. “I need a life to live: not just one to run away from.”

Nia nodded slowly before looking down to scoop another bite. “Then live one with me.”

Antonio's forehead melted into a small ruffle as his eyebrows contracted. “I--”

“You're eminently qualified,” Nia added with flair, “a princely knight who--”

“Yes,” Antonio interrupted her. “I was going to say that I've decided that I want that.”

Nia stared at him quietly watching that troubled face overcome its own tension. She licked the sauce off her lip subtly before saying, “You do know, though, that you'll be a criminal as long as you're mine. My partner in this business.”

“That's not all that I mean,” Antonio guessed the motive behind her calculated words. “I don't want to be friends, Nia.”

The woman kept her gaze locked on his for a few more seconds as if she was preparing for a kill. Her hands slowly placed the silverware back on the table before pulling up a napkin to dab her lips. “Thank you for dinner,” she said quietly getting up. That man's eyes followed her as she ascended. She walked slowly in his direction, and as she passed him, she intoned: “I've already played the role of 'Second Pick' the first time you thought that whore wife of yours had 'left you.'” She kept walking. She killed the lights in the dining room. The door to her bedroom closed quietly shut. Antonio looked down at his cold dish in the dark.

---​

When Nia could hear the movement of Antonio from the other room, she noticed that it wasn't the early morning. It was probably three when she heard the other doorway close and Antonio walking away. She decided to go back to sleep.

When she woke up, she peeked into the other room to find that what little Antonio brought with him was gone. When she made breakfast, it was only for herself: she didn't expect Antonio to come back from a run. She was right. She stared at the seat on the table where Antonio would have been for breakfast. Her breakfast tasted stale as if she was just swallowing air.

Her walk into town would serve two purposes. She, as usual, would check her various contacts and then she hoped to pick up a few groceries that she had been neglecting. She also didn't want to admit that she wanted to get her mind off that man. The town of Casa de la Robles was small even for El Salvador. A single avenue serviced the mostly rural population. There was an inn that the rebels usually used for their meetings. Only the church, a massive baroque edifice built during the highlights of the colonization and missionary race, left any lasting impression for anyone passing through.

She glanced at the structure on her way down the road and wondered if perhaps Antonio was within praying the mass. The sun was shining rather high: it was close to afternoon. Antonio was standing on the street in front of her. She almost didn't recognize him. She wanted to say something: wanted to defray the fact that she was caught off guard. She wanted to say “I thought you'd gone,” but she couldn't. She couldn't because that man walked up to her, and, pressing in that face with its almost invisible stubble outlining his handsome features, he scooped her hands in his and his parched lips trailed along the edge of her face until they moistened against hers. Her instinct was to pull back. She shuffled: his hands gripped tighter.

“You're right,” Antonio managed to say in those brief seconds when the circuit of their lips was broken. “punish me if you have to,” he was pushing his breaths into her mouth with each word. He pulled back just enough to see her face before saying: “I want your love, and I want your revenge.”

She looked at him steely as her breaths gasped for release. She kept herself solid: “I need more than just simple words--”

The sound of jubilation interrupted her objection. The church doors opened and children with streamers rushed out. The band rang up a tune: a tune so foreign that Nia thought she had been hit by a bomb and went off to a different world. By the time she realized that Antonio was leading her into the church, children were following behind them with flowers crowning their heads. The priest was waiting for them at the altar.

---​

The sound of the showerhead sputtering enthusiastically above her drowned out most of the chaotic thoughts in her head. She followed the line of water that curved around her frame to the golden metallic band on her finger. She twisted it against her skin, letting some of the water shuffle in between as she examined it. She leaned back lightly at the glass partition and contemplated the past few hours.

niashower.jpg

The water dripped down both her tanned body and the glass partition from her hair even down the tattoo of a flower that she had gotten from being part of the House of the Rose

She had barely kept her eyes off of him when the ritual of the wedding mass was being said. The provincial Spanish of the priest glided through her head and, as if under some spell, she had said those words for that man next to him before God that bound her to him and him to her. She squinted a little bit wondering what this profound seal would now mean.

The children who had followed them as well as various townsfolk back up the mountain after the mass had put flowers in her hair as well. They had danced about them like angels and Antonio held a kind of reserved smile that made her slowly and quietly understand how serious it had suddenly gotten. She was still swirling in all of these thoughts that she didn't realize that Antonio had entered into the bathroom. She didn't hear him discard his clothes, and it was only when the glass partition shifted slightly behind her, that she turned her head suddenly to her husband.

She stood upright by the time Antonio closed the gap between them. The water hit the both of them simultaneously and she felt the contours of his body complement hers. Antonio's warm hands slid up her watered sides and traced a path from the small of her back to her shoulders. She held onto his frame and the cool water turned desperately warm in between their touching bodies. Hasty lips exchanged watery films while tongue touched tongue. When Antonio's hand made its return journey down her back, Nia would feel her skin touch the tile wall as Antonio pressed her gently against it. The man's hand pulled at her thigh and Nia's palm clawed at the glass partition.

interlude2.gif

Interlude​

Tom clawed away at the the glass partition and attempted to scream. He could barely hear himself as he let out a guttural cry. He was gasping, and he could feel the liquid in his throat and in his chest and it hurt painfully the more he tried to suck into his lungs. “Don't struggle!” was the voice from beyond the glass. He thought he could see Rodrigo in an orange haze. There were others in the chamber as well who were moving about frantically. “The liquid will deliver oxygen directly to your lungs,” was the explanation, but Tom could not escape his panic. He pushed against the partition but it merely lunged him backwards and the back of his head hit the glass on the other end.

In the orange liquid around him, he thought he could see a cloud of red. “We need to sedate him now,” he thought he could hear, “He's ripped a suture in the entrance wound.” His vision dimmed to black.

Tom gasped for air as he woke up. His arms reached out as if to claw an escape, but Randall caught onto his hands with a start. “Tom, are you alright?” Randall held onto the shaking boy. Tom sat up in the bunk and re-oriented himself. The cylindrical metal casing reminded him of where he was and the boy next to him of when.

“I... I was having a dream,” he tried to say.

“A dream?” Randall looked at him worriedly. “You were only asleep for a few minutes.”

Tom grimaced as he put his hand to the back of his head. “No... not really a dream... more like a memory.” He couldn't touch where that bullet had entered his skull: it felt too tender.

“A memory of what?” Randall asked, but was interrupted when Rodrigo entered the chamber. Tom looked up at a disheveled and slightly charred Rodrigo before looking to the floor in silence.

“Is everything alright?” Rodrigo asked Randall.

Randall could sense the discomfort Rodrigo's presence was imposing on Tom. “He... just had a bad dream,” Randall explained. He stared for a few seconds at Rodrigo as if he was trying to detect a pattern in the other boy's face: something he could decipher.

“We'll be berthing soon at the military base in Gibraltar. Get ready to leave.” Rodrigo's voice was taxed and he left the chamber while rubbing the back of his neck. The hatch shut close carelessly.

Randall looked back at Tom. He realized suddenly that Tom was still squeezing his hands. “Rodrigo had me in some kind of tube,” Tom explained while looking at the floor. “There was a liquid in it. It tasted... strangely like Tang and blood.”

The other boy nearly laughed. “I'm sorry,” Randall started to say, “Tang? I haven't had that since I was five years old.” Tom looked up at Randall and then broke a small smile. He loosened his grip and sat up more properly on the bunk.

“I don't know what they did to me, Randall,” Tom tried to explain, as his smile dissipated. “It's one thing that I can't remember much, but I don't know what else...”

“Well you were shot in the back of the head. I suppose it must have mixed a few things up for you. Then again Rodrigo was the one who did that, too.”

“Rodrigo said he was preventing me from changing history,” Tom suddenly broke in solemnly. “As if my high school fantasies of a disunited world was the motivation behind everything.” Randall could feel Tom's grip tightening again. “The real reason, Randall,” and Tom looked up at his friend for a moment, “is that I'm tired of living here.”

Randall stared at him worriedly. “What do you mean?” he dared to ask.

“I'm just tired of this reality, Randall. If I can make it just disappear then why shouldn't I? If I'm supposed to be the instrumentality of man, then why can't I decide if this world should be scrubbed?”

Randall searched Tom's eyes painfully. “You're not the only one who's hurting, Tom,” Randall could barely say. Randall felt like he was choking as he spoke. “We're all hurting.”

“Then what's the point?” Tom returned. “If you're hurting so much, then won't you make a new world with me? Isn't that what the Timepiece is for?”

“The Timepiece...” Randall repeated suddenly thinking about it. “Do you really think you understand it?” he asked quietly.

“I understand enough,” Tom objected.

“I don't know, Tom,” Randall replied. “It's harder for me to believe that the Timepiece is just here at random. It's harder for me to believe that it landed here on this planet for no reason. The very fact that it allows you of all people to decide what happens to us all... If it were just an absurd coincidence then we all deserve to be annihilated. But if that were true, then I shouldn't have this will to exist, Tom. I shouldn't care about you or anyone else. I shouldn't love anyone, but I do. And I love you too.”

Chapter CLX: Loving Kindness (coming soon)

Last edited:
O dear, I fear I may have corrupted you to the hawtness of nekkid girls with tattoos.

I'm too tired from a busy week to read the whole thing so I jumped to the Nia part. I think you do a great job expressing her motivation and internal logic.

I'll read the rest over the weekend once I have an opportunity to relax and concentrate.

A wedding? Nia needed to be punished, but that's too much!

“I don't want to be friends”
“I want your love, and I want your revenge.”

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

(I'm sure there were more references, but this one stood out. BAD Canonized!)

Last edited: