• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Interregnum
Part One 1543
~In which contenders are named~

As Methodius I lay dying in his bed, advisors begged him to avert a crisis and choose a succesor. The inheritence laws of the Kingdom provided the King's nephew Andrej z Trnava as the next heir. The other major contender being the King's cousin Grigory, the powerful and popular Duke of Silesia. However, to his dying breath on August 19, 1543, Methodius refused to choose one over the other. His last words, perhaps apochripally, were "My Kingdom goes to the strongest."

The Contenders:

JERZY_1.png

Grigory Presovsky z Silesia, Duke of Silesia and Count of Tekov.

Pros:
-Nationally renowed figure
-Warrior and hero of the Slovak peasantry
-Second largest landowner in Slovakia
-Vastly Wealthy
-Already has a devoted and expierenced army

Cons:
-Age is 55
-Son and heir is hated for his gluttony
-Bohemians fear him and many Silesians hate him
-According to laws, he is not first in line to the throne

Story:

Grigory z Presovsky was born in early 1488 in the house of his father, Andrej z Tekov, the Count of Tekov and only son of Ladislav, the younger brother of Marian I. Grigory was raised, essentially, by the army. In 1501 at age 13 he joined in his father on the first of what would be many successful campaigns. After the 2nd Hungarian Border War wrapped up in 1503, young Grigory was sent to the court of King Vladjo IV to recieve further military training at the recently created Royal Military Academy. He return to Tekov in time to watch his father die of a prolonged illness in 1509, where he assumed the duties of count at the age of merely 21. Not long thereafter, civil war broke out with the ascension of Methodius I. Grigory, eager to gain favor with the new regime, joined the Methodist side and offered his skills and his small personal retinue to the King. Despite his valor fought in the war a decade before, Grigory was still too young to be fully tested as a commander. However, the opportunity arose in late 1514 when the Methodists faced off against the Legitimists at Petrovice. In a stunning and affirmative victory, Grigory won and a year later was named Duke of Silesia for his efforts. This title, second to that only of the King, gave him much power and influence in Silesian and Slovak affairs.

But the story of Grigory does not end there. After assuming his title, Grigory returned to Silesia and rid the area of Catholic influences which made him extremely popular with the King, though due to his brutal techniques, to am much lesser extent the Silesian peasantry. Another opportunity to shine came a few years later with the oncoming deathmatch that was the Great Religious War of 1523-1528. Facing off countless times against Polish armies, Duke Grigory was largely the only reason there where no majorly successful invasions of Silesia or Bohemia by the Poles. Only when the Germans stole behind him through Prague did Grigory have to retreat, and only with great reluctance. By the end of the war, Grigory was once more a hero with the Slovak peasantry and amongst the court. His fame started to rub the other nobles the wrong way, and it is around this time that we see his first detractors appear in the written word of the day.

The next years were spent crushing peasant revolts which, though still beloved by Slovak peasantry, his popularity amongst the Hungarians, Bohemians, Germans and especially Silesians was falling greatly. And, to boot, those ehtnic groups made up over half of the Kingdom. Now, in 1543, Duke Grigory has made the claim that it is he and he alone that has the power and will to rule Slovakia and steer her into prosperity. He stands with an army of 20,000 ready to march and take the crown in Bratislava.

JAN_AS1.png

Andrej z Trnava, Son of Martin z Trnava, Count of Trnava

Pros:
-Youhtful and ambitious
-Acording to the laws, he is the rightful heir
-Popular amongst nobility and church
-Is a bishop
-Could ally with Bohemians/Silesian in an 'enemy of my enemy is my friend' deal

Cons:
-Not well known outside of noble circles
-Financial resources are limited
-Doesn't have an actual title of 'nobility' per se to his name
-Would have to build an army from scratch

Story:
Andrej z Trnava was born in early 1514 at the house of his father in Trnava. His mother Jana was the only sister and sibling to King Methodius I, and his father was the middling power of the Count of Trnava. His upbringing was largely within the church, and he was ordained a Hussite Priest in 1533. Shortly thereafter, he was married and made Bishop of Trnava. His deeply spiritual attitude forbade him personally from fighting, and thus he did not appear initally as a strong leader. However, his father Martin z Trnava, would make up for that in spades. Martin was the second most able military mind in Slovakia after Grigory himself. This reflected int he quick wit and dashing presence of his son, which earned the pair high esteem amongst the noble crowd. This popularity amongst the established church and nobility, combined with his youthful and pious ambition, would set him well up in a time of prosperity to be a wonderful King. However, he lacked one key thing. Money. The nobility were willing to donate money and arms to his cause, though at a steep cost int he long run. However, by his birth Andrej is the true heir to the throne of Vladjo I, and as such stepped up to make his claim known in Bratislava not long after Methodius I's death. Not long thereafter, Grigory began to march his troops south towards Bratislava.

Civil war...again...lay surely on the horizon.

Another civil war? If that should happen than Duke Grigory holds a mighty advantage with an army and the peasantry behind him. And maybe we'll see a radical Slovak constitution coming together as a Confederacy! :p

Back on a realistic note, I say that the Duke will win, then die early, and Andrej will emerge as the new leader. :cool:

The duke of Silesia wins. Andrej runs away to Poland. Then the duke dies and is replaced by his infamous son. And then a full-scale invasion of Silesia and Bohemia by Poland. Polish troops win every battle with the support of the peasants. They win the war, put Andrej on the throne and take Silesia for themselves with Andrej ceding all claims to the regions his family had.

Happy End. :D

The duke of Silesia wins. Andrej runs away to Poland. Then the duke dies and is replaced by his infamous son. And then a full-scale invasion of Silesia and Bohemia by Poland. Polish troops win every battle with the support of the peasants. They win the war, put Andrej on the throne and take Silesia for themselves with Andrej ceding all claims to the regions his family had. Happy End. :D

:rofl: :confused: :eek: :rofl:

Goodness, only Slovakia could face another Civil War... but I see you're sure you have 2 counts competing? :confused: What if one gives up! There's a moral here, demokratickid: Don't count your contending counts before they've chickened!

Only TWO condenders?

Seriously, "to the strongest" just sounds like lazy. Alexander had a dozen contenders to choose from, no wonder he couldn't.

I'm gonna say Andrej, simply because he's younger. Grigory could easily die during the war or soon after if he became king.

A solid reasoning...

What about proclaiming a democracy? :p

Hahaha I think the forces of progressivism and reform in Slovakia were swept under the rug after Vladjo I died :rofl:

Interesting characters...I wonder if the old Duke won't be struck by the odd assassin's dagger on the verge of his triumph over the young pretender. Nice update.:)

Oh my! :eek: Thanks! :)

Another civil war? If that should happen than Duke Grigory holds a mighty advantage with an army and the peasantry behind him. And maybe we'll see a radical Slovak constitution coming together as a Confederacy! :p

Back on a realistic note, I say that the Duke will win, then die early, and Andrej will emerge as the new leader. :cool:

That's a hefty change! :wacko: And another adept look at the situation...

The duke of Silesia wins. Andrej runs away to Poland. Then the duke dies and is replaced by his infamous son. And then a full-scale invasion of Silesia and Bohemia by Poland. Polish troops win every battle with the support of the peasants. They win the war, put Andrej on the throne and take Silesia for themselves with Andrej ceding all claims to the regions his family had.

Happy End. :D

Would you like to write the last chapters? :rofl: :wacko:

:rofl: :confused: :eek: :rofl:

Me too..................... :D

Goodness, only Slovakia could face another Civil War... but I see you're sure you have 2 counts competing? :confused: What if one gives up! There's a moral here, demokratickid: Don't count your contending counts before they've chickened!

Hahaha well we've got a Duke and a Count, the count being de jure in line for the throne and the duke being de facto in line for the throne. Will the lawful ruler or the popular one win? :)

Only TWO condenders?

Seriously, "to the strongest" just sounds like lazy. Alexander had a dozen contenders to choose from, no wonder he couldn't.

:rofl: Methodius was a fierce competitor in his life, though like his ancestor Vladjo II he wasn't exactly the most diplomatically adept of souls :p

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :(

Why do all the good ones die young? :(

:(

Now I'll never see Poland finally triumphing over Slovakia! *Cries in the corner*

When's the new AAR coming? You can't just stop, after all.

Haha lucky you :p Annnnd I have no clue, my life is INCREDIBLY busy right now :p

:eek:

:confused:

:mad:

It's up to me or Salik to take up the torch now, is it? Well, I nominate Salik.

Please, at least write one more update in which something catostrophically annihilates you so at elast it maeks sense in a History book. Otherwise we'll get this:
"War was brooding. Two contenders from very different backgrounds, moved to take the throne of Slovakia. Only one man could sit on that hallowed seat. Conflict looked set to break loose. But instead they all lived happily ever after."

Please don't do that, for everyone's sake.

:eek:

:confused:

:mad:

It's up to me or Salik to take up the torch now, is it? Well, I nominate Salik.

Please, at least write one more update in which something catostrophically annihilates you so at elast it maeks sense in a History book. Otherwise we'll get this:
"War was brooding. Two contenders from very different backgrounds, moved to take the throne of Slovakia. Only one man could sit on that hallowed seat. Conflict looked set to break loose. But instead they all lived happily ever after."

Please don't do that, for everyone's sake.

Alright fine, I'll finish up this entire story in one big update sometime this week so y'all have some closure :)

Let the Proddies win.

Hahaha :D

Final Summation
1543-2010
~In which stuff happens~

*Since my 'page count' is limited, this professor will be summing up the remaining years fairly quickly.*

The civil war was a long and bloody conflict which saw a third of the Slovak population perish between 1543 and 1550. By 1545, both sides of the war had numerous allies which shifted on a local basis quite often. However, the death knell came to Duke Grigory when Poland and Hungary backed Andrej, who was barely staying alive, in 1548. Within two years, Andrej managed to beat back the Grigorian forces and emerge triumphant. However, the Poles and Hungarians demanded a steep price for their help. In exchange for the support, Poland received Silesia and Hungary received the territories south of Bratislava and a snippet of Ruthenia at the Treaty of Brno signed on December 25, 1550. A day later Duke Grigory was executed.

1550.gif

The pounding was not done, though. A scant three years later, when Polish and Hungarian protection pacts ran dry, the erstwhile Ally Austria declared war on a still hurting Slovakia. Unable to find a single ally in all of Europe, the Slovaks took a beating. Despite a valiant attempt to fend off the Austrians, which included withdrawing millions in loans from Italian and German bankers in an effort to raise a mercenary army, Slovakia was simply too weak to stand the onslaught of the Austrian forces. At the treaty of Vienna, signed on July 10, 1555, Bohemia and Moravia was annexed to the Habsburgian Empire.

1555.gif

Oh, but mercy would not find Slovakia. Andrej I died on December 1, 1555 aged 41 of some unknown disease, though it is this historians opinion that it was sudden onset dagger syndrome. His son and heir, the incompetent, lazy and dull Methodius, was crowned Methodius II at age 21. In a diplomatic blunder of epic proportions, Methodius II soon began to ally himself with and support a faction in the Hungarian court openly rebellious to their King. This led to Hungarian retaliation in the form of the shortest and most damning war in Slovak history. In seven months in 1559, Slovakia was torn apart by Hungarian armies which saw the annexation of all lands except the Capitol territory. This also saw the loss of Presov, where the origin of the Slovak Kings was.

1559.gif

The peasants soon revolted, they were tired of defeat and pain and unreasonably high taxation. In 1563 they overthrew Methodius II and established a republic like they had learned about from the traders who used to come from Venice and Genoa. However, it quickly became corrupt and the Republic gained the attention of outside forces. In a swift move in 1566, Austria finished off the last of Slovakia when they annexed the 1st Slovak Republic on December 30, 1566.

RL note time. I did loose this game, mainly b/c the AI suddenly got smart and ganged up on me. Also, I had planned for a Vicky version of this were we see the world as per normal in the 1840s, but nationalism revives Slovakia in 1848 where it would continue until the present day where we would wrap up with the author giving his account of modern Slovakia, which would be much like the real one just with 2x the population and a little more territory. But, in any case, I hope that clears some things up! Cheers to another hefty AAR! :D

That's depressing. :wacko:

29 pages of Slovakian glory; expansion of the empire, internal strife always leading to greater stability. And now, the exact opposite of all that happened.

Nevertheless, this is a fantastic AAR and, in my honest opinion, the best one I've yet read. Have another Shamrock Cookie. You've earned it.