• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

King

Part Time Game Designer
11 Badges
Dec 7, 2001
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Hearts of Iron II: Beta
  • Victoria 2 Beta
Well, you got one for Christmas, so why not Easter too? It's Thursday and the office will be shut down for the Easter Weekend, so here is a little developer diary to tide you over the Easter Holidays. With it being Easter, why not a little something about religion?

In comparison to EU3, religion is nowhere near as important as a driving force for international relations. The countries in the Victoria 2 era found perfectly good secular reasons to wage war that made the Thirty Years War look like a small skirmish. However, at the same time religion was not meaningless. We did a lot of research into religious and esoteric movements in the 19th century in order to ensure they were properly modelled.

Each POP has a religion and each government has a religions policy. Discriminatory policies against religions make non-state religion POPs less likely to promote and more likely to emigrate, seeking religious fulfilment elsewhere.

The 19th century also saw a reaction to the 18th century enlightenment with its notions of secularisation. Consider the constitution of the USA:
“and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.”
And now the identical paragraph from the CSA constitution:
“and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity — invoking the favor and guidance of Almighty God — do ordain and establish this Constitution for the Confederate States of America.”
The only difference is an explicit reference to God; we have modelled this via an event chain called the “Second Great Religious Revival”. This event chain simulates the increasing levels of Christian evangelism seen in the Ante-Bellum USA. The disenchantment with the ideals of the enlightenment also saw people dabbling in more esoteric cults.

This trend is also modelled in our late game event series the "Antarctic Expedition". Instead of reaching the South Pole, you could find the Mountains of Madness. This starts the "Call of Cthulhu" event chain. The island of R'lyeh will rise from the ocean, activating the Cthulhu ideology. POPs will feel an attraction to this ideology and get an urge to shout and kill and revel and enjoy themselves, which we will model through a militancy increase. We also activate a new rebel type; "Cthulhu Cultist". These rebels are beyond good and evil, so are more likely to join if the invention Nietzscheism has been discovered. Their goal is the return of the Great Old Ones. Should they succeed in overthrowing a government it is game over, as Great Cthulhu awakens.

We believe this will both add to immersion and make the late game much more interesting.

Attachments

• vic2_alpha_apr1.JPG
    vic2_alpha_apr1.JPG
    914 KB · Views: 15.460
The last part sounds like an April fools joke (I wouldn't mind having it included as an Easter Egg that can be turned off...). But thank you anyways.

This trend is also modelled in our late game event series the "Antarctic Expedition". Instead of reaching the South Pole, you could find the Mountains of Madness. This starts the "Call of Cthulhu" event chain. The island of R'lyeh will rise from the ocean, activating the Cthulhu ideology. POPs will feel an attraction to this ideology and get an urge to shout and kill and revel and enjoy themselves, which we will model through a militancy increase. We also activate a new rebel type; "Cthulhu Cultist". These rebels are beyond good and evil, so are more likely to join if the invention Nietzscheism has been discovered. Their goal is the return of the Great Old Ones. Should they succeed in overthrowing a government it is game over, as Great Cthulhu awakens.

:rofl: I like!

Happy 1. April everyone.....:rofl:

edit:

To the screenshot. What are these buildings in the provinces. Some look like factories, the other more like silos or something?

Check the Arkham province in the screenshot :p

The problem with April Fools is that if you stumble upon a superobvious joke

Btw, someone has to mod this Call of Cthulhu event chain in the game on release. Sounds hilarious.

Would be a cool easter egg like the Alien Invaders from HOI2.

Who says if won't be in?

Smoke stacks on the map!!! Whoohooo baby I will darken the sky with the fumes from my machines, and usher a new age of man!! :D

I like :D

And... Arkham... Innsmouth... what are those place?? Shouldn't there be Boston instead? I suppose you want to show the moddability of the map :D Or is this how the provinces are names after you discover the mountains of madness? :eek:

And lastly, what do the water towers signify? Cities? Infrastructure? Railroads?

Will it be possible to play as Cthulhu?

It seems strange - as i recall , on each screenshot posted every country had a negative cashflow. But USA on that screenshot has a positive one.
cashflow model launched? USA has lots of moneys? :eek:o

It seems strange - as i recall , on each screenshot posted every country had a negative cashflow. But USA on that screenshot has a positive one.
cashflow model launched? USA has lots of moneys? :eek:o

Gradual improvement in economic balance as testing feedback comes through.