• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alfred Packer

Off Again
45 Badges
Jun 3, 2007
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Rise of Prussia
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
Okay, I see the OscAARs are gearing up and, really, it is time for the Chalice to gear up as well.

What is the CrusadAAR's Chalice? Click me to learn more!

To qualify for the 2009 CrusadAAR's Chalice an AAR must be:

1 - Completed in the Year 2009

2 - Be "Complete." Even if it ends in a lost file, the AuthAAR must have wrapped up the story in a quality manner.

3 - Be listed as "Complete" in the Crusader Kings LibrAARy because it has been registered as "Complete" in the LibrAARy update thread.

Now, the LibrAARy is out of date because I got very busy and very slack, but I will correct that this weekend. This also gives those of you who have completed a work in 2009 or know of one completed in 2009 some time to get it in the system. Only the AuthAAR of the work can list it as "Complete," so if they haven't, please get them to contact me or post in the LibrAARy update thread stickied at the top of this forum.

Sunday afternoon, I will have the librAARy up to date and I will list the eligable AARs here. Then the nominations and fun will begin!

Nominations for the 2009 CrusadAARs Chalice Have Begun!

What Are We Doing:
Few things in AARland are more disappointing than the abrupt, unceremonious end of an AAR we are enjoying. After all, we often invest as much in the characters and story of an AAR as we would in a novel or good movie and having it end suddenly can be quite a disappointment. Now on the other side (and believe me, I have abandoned more than a few AARs myself) actually completing a game, writing all the updates needed and then posting them all, well, that represents a huge amount of work and investment in a story on the part of the authAAR. To reward those who have worked so hard to bring their cherished stories and games to completion, and to encourage more to do so in the future, the CrusadAAR's Chalice exists to reward those who tackle and complete what can be a daunting task.

Below, you will find links to all 6 Crusader Kings AARs completed in the year 2009. They range from a handful of updates posted over a week to hundreds of updates posted over years, but each and every one represents a complete story, with a beginning and a middle, but most importantly, an end.

What Can I Do:
Well, you have until 4AM Eastern Time, March 8th to peruse these AARs and nominate one you think deserves to be in the final competition. You may post only one time in this thread, either to nominate an AAR or to second (third, etc) someone else's nomination. The 3 AARs with the most nominations will then appear in a poll together and you will have the whole month of March to read these AARs at depth and cast your vote for the best. The AAR with the most votes wins the Coveted CrusadAAR's Chalice.

You can explain why you've decided to nominate that AAR within your post or you can simply nominate the AAR. The important thing is to vote. That is the only way an AAR can move forward in the competition.

What Can I NOT Do:
You only get to nominate a single AAR

You cannot use your post to discuss 1 - The nature of the CrusadAAR's Chalice, 2 - The fairness of the voting system, 3 - What "Best" means in any context, 4 - Anything that might cause a disruption to what should be a celebration of 6 excellent AARs

Hey! Such and Such's AAR isn't included and I KNOW it was completed in 2009!
Then the authAAR should have noted the AAR completed in the LibrAARy update thread.

If the author of a completed 2009 AAR feels they have been left off, then the author should PM me for inclusion. I will make final determination on whether a work will be included. Such petition must be made 1 - by the AuthAAR only, and 2 - by Noon Eastern Time on Thursday, February 26th.

Okay, Great, That's All Out Of The Way! Now What:
Scroll down, there are 6 AARs guarranteed to satisfy your story reading urges.
Here is the Nominations Thread for the 2009 CrusadAAR's Chalice!

d'Este
Lombardia (The Duchy of)
A Glass of Fine Whine -- A [CK-DV] Lombardy Learning AAR
Landwalker
1066 - December 21, 1090 (Complete 12 July 2009)

de Haro
León
[thread=402900]de Haro-ing Adventures[/thread]
IamWhoa
1187-1350 (Completed 24 June 2009)

Various (mainly Normandie and Provence)
Various
900 yeAARs of AAR
Kuipy and Blackmist)
1066-1399 (Completed 5 June 2009)

av Faereyjar
Faroes/Duchy of Orkney/Scotland
The Genealogy of King Magnús the Færeying
Llywelyn
1337-1450 (Completed 27 May 2009)

Staden
Brandenburg
The Eagle In Winter
coz1
1103-1104 (Completed 25 January 2009)

Angevin
England
Life and Deeds of Richard the Lionheart
Vesimir
1187 – 1204 Complete 6 January 2009

(Also, could a mod please change the title of this thread to "2009 CrusadAARs Chalice - Nominations Thread" - Thanks!)

I nominate Life and Deeds of Richard the Lionheart by Vesimir. Hopefully others remember this work too, as it was completed quite some time ago... :)

I nominate The Eagle In Winter by coz1. I'm happy I managed to hop onto the train and get to the terminus with his excellent writing.

Great to see these started, AP. :) Thread title changed as requested.

I'm really glad to see everyone is taking their time to look through all 6 AARs before nominating, but remember - you don't need to FINISH reading all the AARs in order to nominate one!

(and also, nominations close a week from tomorrow)

Oh my God. That was such a loooong time ago! And my writing style was soo crappy compared to the current one. Hell, I might even redo it (Change the text to look neatier, make proper maps, etc.) after the chalices.

I'll give my vote later after I read those AARs cause I can't remember reading any of them.

Great Scott people! There are only 3 1/2 days left to nominate (give or take) so get those nominations in! Your votes look like they'll count for quite a bit this round, so get 'em in!

Whew. This is hard! They're all very good, and I have reasons to nominate them all.

For novelty purposes, I admire the single-character AAR of Richard the Lionheart, the Norse Saga of Magnus the Freyling and the 900 years of AARs. Richard the Lionheart already has a vote, and I can't quite get my head around the other too, so I'm actually going to nominate

de-Haroing adventureshttp://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=402900

For its less-than-usual scenario choice (Third Crusade) and ruler (county of Viscaya), as well as the well-written mix of narrative and gameplay.

I'll echo what my honourable and learned friend has just said above - this is a hard choice!

However, I'm going to go with "A Glass of Fine Whine" - learning AARs are fabulous things, and I know I wouldn't have been able to manage the last part of my mega campaign without the HoI one I found.

Also, I can't believe I forgot to vote until just now. I'll prod my AAR readers to do likewise!

I'll plump for a Glass of Fine Whine ... not least I think people who put real effort into that sort of explanatory AAR rarely get the full recognition they deserve (I can think of a few in the HOI3 AAR sector that have just run and rerun elements of game play in an atttempt to solve various mysteries).

I nominate Life and Deeds of Richard the Lionheart by Vesimir. Hopefully others remember this work too, as it was completed quite some time ago... :)

seconded !

Aaannnndd Nominations are closed! I will tally the results and then get the final vote started (with a mod's timely help) in just a few short hours!

(also, I'm seconding the nomination for The Eagle in Winter)

Edit: The tallying did not take as long as I expected!

Last edited:
Your slate of competitors for the 2009 CrusadAAR's Chalice are now set, with each of the entrants recieving 2 nominations, the AARs are:

d'Este
Lombardia (The Duchy of)
A Glass of Fine Whine -- A [CK-DV] Lombardy Learning AAR
Landwalker
1066 - December 21, 1090 (Complete 12 July 2009)

de Haro
León
[thread=402900]de Haro-ing Adventures[/thread]
IamWhoa
1187-1350 (Completed 24 June 2009)

Staden
Brandenburg
The Eagle In Winter
coz1
1103-1104 (Completed 25 January 2009)

Angevin
England