• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

King

Part Time Game Designer
11 Badges
Dec 7, 2001
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Hearts of Iron II: Beta
  • Victoria 2 Beta
It’s a Tuesday and I know what you are thinking; did I write one Dev Diary or Two? The answer is one. However, having had a bit of a break I can give you the Developer Diary a day early this week. However, it will be a bit of a short one. Today we are going to talk about the budget. Or, more exactly, I am going to talk a bit about some of the changes we have made to the budget process.

First up - for those of you who were not familiar with Victoria - there were two main sources of income; Taxation and Tariffs. Taxation is income tax and is paid as a percentage of POP income. POPs are divided into three income tiers and you set tax rates for each separately. Tariffs are indirect taxes and paid on goods imported to the country, adding a percentage cost to the value of imports. Tariffs can be set negative and represent export subsidies you pay to help sell your goods onto the world market. So with income determined let’s talk a little about how we are changing how it is spent.

First up, the military spending slider. In previous developer diaries we told you that bureaucrats were paid out of administration and clergy out of education. Military spending pays the salaries of your soldiers and officers. So the higher you set this spending, the more money they will have and thus the happier they will be. Also, keeping your military spending high makes soldiering a much more attractive career for people, meaning more soldiers. Similarly, if your spending is low and your soldiers are finding it hard to make ends meet, they will probably go look for work elsewhere.

The second change is how armies are maintained. They no longer consume cash. The salaries of your soldiers and officers are paid out of the military spending. Armies and navies, however, consume goods. In particular, small arms (rifles wear out and have to be replaced.) This has one very neat consequence of providing constant demand for things like rifles, allowing the world market to function better.

We’ve also added a couple of cool interface improvements to the Budget screen. We’ve added pie charts next to income groups. These show you how much of their needs they are getting, allowing you to quickly judge if you are taxing people too much without having to cycle through hundreds of POPs to see what your taxation policy is doing.

Now, if you look at the handy screenshot you will see two very new things in the screen; Gold and the National Bank. These will be topics for future developer diaries so please feel free to speculate.

Attachments

• vic2_alpha_jan051.JPG
    vic2_alpha_jan051.JPG
    697,2 KB · Views: 18.442
Armies and navies, however, consume goods. In particular, small arms (rifles wear out and have to be replaced.) This has one very neat consequence of providing constant demand for things like rifles, allowing the world market to function better.
It seems that the epic battles of the everlasting Tibetan armed forces will be significantly harder now. :D

Excellent changes there, and National Bank sounds good.

Now, if you look at the handy screenshot you will see two very new things in the screen; Gold and the National Bank. These will be topics for future developer diaries so please feel free to speculate.

Gold =~ minting/printing cash. Gives quick cash but causes inflation??
National bank =~ Government loans to/from Capitalists??

hold on a second... How many types of pop are there? 12?
Poor: Soldier, Slave, Laborer, Farmer, Craftsman
Middle :Officer, Clerk, Clergymen(changed name?), Bureaucrat?, ??????????
Rich: Capitalist, Aristocrat

What is the last one in the middle?

King, I really love the idea of maintaining the army with militar supplies like small arms or whatever. Coherent with you posted about maintanance of factories, and introduces an essential strategy layer in order to develop your industry and your army (as well as developing a 'real' economy).

I think it's obvious, but I assume last two POPs in middle bar are bureaucrats and artisans, aren't they? I must say I like them. And as a Victoria lover I like keeping Vicky1 style of others POPs graphics. Are they definitive design?

The second change is how armies are maintained. They no longer consume cash. The salaries of your soldiers and officers are paid out of the military spending. Armies and navies, however, consume goods. In particular, small arms (rifles wear out and have to be replaced.) This has one very neat consequence of providing constant demand for things like rifles, allowing the world market to function better.
I really like this, much better than in Victoria I, now you really need to have a steady supply/production of small arms. I do hope that your soldiers required canned food as well.
Gold? Maybe your country's gold reserves? Maybe also required for linking a currency with gold, similar to the dollar-gold exchange guarantee by the USA government.
National bank? Maybe for providing starting capital for capitalists in order to build factories or expand railroads.

EDIT: I did not know that slaves had to pay taxes as well!

The interface looks really good. Nice and clean.

I like how maintanance of factories and armies is being unabstracted. I think supply and demand is going to be more of a factor in V2.

What's national stockpile?

I think gold is what you use when interacting with other countries and the WM. you must have to change your pounds into gold or something.

The "Gold" thing reminds me of the "Bonds" in Victoria. If it is a dump pool for the excess cash reserves of pops, let's hope it works a bit better than it did in later installments of V1. :)

Haha, pretty awesome. I'll tell you something King: That is the best interface I have seen in a Paradox game by leaps and bounds. Give my congratulations to whoever is making it. It looks very "clean" and detailed (Contrary to other games (Ever since EU2, which is when I started playing Paradox games), which look kinda edgy and not really polished unlike this one).

National banks: I do recall in the original Victoria, when POPs had a surplus money after all their needs had been satisfied, they would invest that surplus money in government bonds. That was largely abstracted in Victoria as far as I recall (So much that I know little about how bonds worked in Vicky), so I would suppose that in this game, POPs with surplus money will invest their money in the National Bank, which will strengthen its value.

A strong National Bank Could in turn, be able to offer more Industrial Subsidies to Capitalists so they can build factories the player wants (And possibly railroads?), as well as offering the player loans on lower interest rates (Strong National Bank = Strong economy = higher government revenues = better chance of player not defaulting = lower interest rates).

I do not understand very well the economic concept behind bullionism and the need for a State to concentrate bullion, so I'll leave the hypothetic effects of Gold in Vicky 2 to another player. If someone else can briefly explain to me (And possibly to other people reading this thread which aren't very aware of economics), the real life effects of bullionism and the need for the State to concentrate it, I would very much appreciate it. :)

Last edited:
King, I notice you mention having a low military salary can make soldiering unattractive - does this make is harder to recruit new soldiers or can you actually lose soldiers?

I like the good interface design. Very well-arranged.

Given that Victoria 2 appears to be much more of a closed system than the original game (i.e., cash does not disappear into the void, nor does it appear from the void, it all flows around), gold might be a mechanism to simply bring more money into play via gold mines.

King, I really love the idea of maintaining the army with militar supplies like small arms or whatever. Coherent with you posted about maintanance of factories, and introduces an essential strategy layer in order to develop your industry and your army (as well as developing a 'real' economy).

I think it's obvious, but I assume last two POPs in middle bar are bureaucrats and artisans, aren't they? I must say I like them. And as a Victoria lover I like keeping Vicky1 style of others POPs graphics. Are they definitive design?

Yes the POPs are pretty much definitive. It was done so that those of you who had played Victoria before would be able to recognise the POPs easier. No point trying to make the game difficult.

King, I notice you mention having a low military salary can make soldiering unattractive - does this make is harder to recruit new soldiers or can you actually lose soldiers?

You can actually lose soldiers, they might be tempted to go work in a factory or go down a mine for a better income.