• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Descartes

Lt. General
42 Badges
Oct 12, 2008
  • Crusader Kings II
  • 500k Club
  • Sengoku
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 200k Club
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
Helvetes jävla skit!

My hard drive crashed this morning. Apart from being a royal pain in the ass for me personally, this will also have an impact on Imperium. I've lost all documents, maps and other files associated with the mod, meaning the latest uploaded version is all I have left. My work on the Greek provinces is lost, as well as a large number of character history files.

I don't have any computer capable of running EUR at the moment, so it will probably take some time before I can take up modding again. I'll see if I can upload a bug-fixing version, though, since I remember a few of the bugs I fixed the last weeks.

Regards,
Descartes

Bad news! Hope the loss wasn't so great :( Either way, I suppose now you have a chance to rebuild it better than before, eh?

No luck !

It happened to me once at work and I lost several files as all were not backed up.

I hope you'll be able to recover data from your HDD.

Crap, that really sucks! Great start to the new year, eh?

Have you thought about taking the drive somewhere to see if they can salvage any of the data on it? Even if a hard drive is wiped, it's still possible to retrieve a substantial amount of the data that was on it.

Best of luck to you, mate. If you need a hand with anything, give us a yell.

Crap, that really sucks! Great start to the new year, eh?

Have you thought about taking the drive somewhere to see if they can salvage any of the data on it? Even if a hard drive is wiped, it's still possible to retrieve a substantial amount of the data that was on it.

Best of luck to you, mate. If you need a hand with anything, give us a yell.

True, but I expect it'd cost a packet for the service, and it's probably only worth it if you have spare cash lying about.

As Patriot says, it's pretty expensive. I could almost buy a new computer for the money. :(

Yeah, but as I said previously, whenever this happens to me, and I'm not on a deadline, this is a chance to perfect things by taking another look at everything :)

This is a real bummer. :(

As Patriot says, it's pretty expensive. I could almost buy a new computer for the money. :(
That really depends on the problem. My brother is in the computer repair business, and he'd generally expect to charge $80 to diagnose the problem (that's his hourly rate). After that, depending on the hardware that was broken, it would probably be a couple of hundred dollars.

Of course, the worst case would be thousands of dollars to take the drive apart and recover the data. He sends the drive out in the rare cases people care that much about the data.

You may want to look into a RAID 1 config on your computer for the future. I did that years ago and thanked myself when a HD failed. I just RMAed it to the manufacturer and got a replacement a month or so later. Hard drives are cheap enough that it's probably worth it for you. You could also use a source control system as a backup (SVN is probably the best free option these days), either on a local computer or elsewhere. I've worked on mods in the past at Modcenter and it was acceptable.

I'll make regular backups. :)
a.k.a. closing the barn door after the horses got out.:)

More than one mod has been seriously hurt by a drive crash. Modders especially should be making regular backups since they have fans depending on them.

I hear sometimes that horses come back with new horses as well: ;)

Blessing or Bane

Near China's northern borders lived a man well versed in the practices of Taoism. His horse, for no reason at all, got into the territory of the northern tribes. Everyone commiserated with him.

"Perhaps this will soon turn out to be a blessing," said his father.

After a few months, his animal came back, leading a fine horse from the north. Everyone congratulated him.

"Perhaps this will soon turn out to be a cause of misfortune," said his father.

Since he was well-off and kept good horses his son became fond of riding and eventually broke his thigh bone falling from a horse. Everyone commiserated with him.

"Perhaps this will soon turn out to be a blessing," said his father.

One year later, the northern tribes started a big invasion of the border regions. All able-bodied young men took up arms and fought against the invaders, and as a result, around the border nine out of ten men died. This man's son did not join in the fighting because he was crippled and so both the boy and his father survived.

One of many versions.

That really sucks. I just built a new computer and my HD is already making weird cranking noises. I'm scared.

Please don't give up Des! You're Rome's only hope as it seems Paradox has given up on her :(