• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
1.4. Sonderkonto

fokker.jpg

Fokker was one of the Dutch manufacturers benefitting from the Sonderkonto, later dubbed the 'Germanisch Vereinbarung'

At first glance the plans of the Sonderkonto seemed like a genuine effort by the Germans to promote cooperation with the Netherlands, but the real interest behind it was much less glamorous. Before a Dutch supplier could get paid for his transaction numerous steps had to be undertaken. the Dutch Central bank first had to receive the payment, then create Bankmarks with the same value. Then these Bankmarks had to be bought by Dutch intending to buy German materials, which then would result in a payment to the original Dutch supplier. Although the system was definitely easier than the original system, it also allowed Germany to get supplies without ever having to pay for them. Although the system would reap short term financial success, if it would continue for several years it would drain all the money the Dutch government had invested in the economy.

The Dutch government made the agreement thinking that the Germans would play by international etiquette. The Dutch had very little room to negotiate with the Germans to demand guarantees, because of their self imposed exile. Wilhelmina thought that if the agreement would be abused too severely, she could abolish it. Whether or not this was a realistic option for Wilhelmina is to be debated. With Germany now as their main export country, cutting the ties with Germany would have severe consequences on Dutch economy and morale.

15th of September 1933. Berlin. Reichs Chancellery

berlin.jpg

Trough the hallways an Admiral walked with a steady pace. Behind him was a navy officer, tasked to carry a small stack of reports. Officially this man was commander of the Berlin, but being a commander of a vessel under the Treaty of Versailles was in name only. His actual job subscription was the secret rearmament project and creating a spy network worthy of a German Reich. The information he had gathered showed an opportunity Germany couldn’t afford to miss. His appointment was in 20 minutes with the leader who now decided the faith of Germany.

He arrived at his office 20 minutes early. The Fuhrer’s secretary didn’t seem to mind and announced his arrival. “Herr Fuhrer, Admiral Canaris is here for your 2 o clock appointment.” A voice inside the open office said “I cannot remember it being 2 PM already, but let the Admiral in.” Canaris went through the open door, with his navy officer following him. When the navy officer walked into the room, he couldn’t help to stare at the man on the other side of the desk. He had never been so close to Adolf Hitler before. The Admiral picked up on the inaction of his navy officer: “You can put those papers on the desk and then you can leave.” He said with a firm tone. “Don’t forget to close the door behind you.” The navy officer quickly apologized, almost dropped the papers of fright, but against all odds managed to follow the Admiral’s direction. He even closed the door without slamming it.

The Fuhrer seemed to be in a good mood and smiled at its favorite Admiral: “It came to my attention you view our appointment today as very prudent. I hope there is not a delay in our special interests I hope?” “You would be aware of any delays already, as is the agreement.” The Admiral grabbed the folder on top and opened it up, so the Fuhrer could see the numbers inside the folder. “This is the balance of the Sonderkonto transactions with the Netherlands. We have only been running the program for several months and we are already in debt.” The Fuhrer responded annoyed: “I can see that, but this is not a German interest. The rebuilding of the Reich has first priority. I hope this is not the reason you came here.” The Admiral was expecting this response. “The rebuilding has first priority and this is exactly why I brought it to your attention, Fuhrer. The Netherlands of today is not the same as it was when we fought the Great War. Let me explain.” The Admiral quickly grabbed the second folder, for he held the Fuhrer was already losing his patient. “This intelligence report goes into great detail about current Dutch internal and foreign affairs. They all show contempt for Great Britain and the Entente at a whole. While most western countries have strongly opposed fascist movements, the Dutch government is guarantying the NSB it’s rights as a political movement. I think that this Holland can be more than a country to extract wealth from, I think it could be so much more. But if we keep this course, we will drive them straight into Entente arms.” The Fuhrer scoffed at the thought and simply put the folder back on the stack without opening it. “The glory of Holland is no more. We cannot align with a washed out colonial power, just because they see England and France for what they truly are.” Canaris was getting more resistance then he expected, but had one more ace up his sleeve. He grabbed the report underneath the folder with detailed Dutch intelligence, which read ‘Prognoses.’ “The greatness of the Reich is not in dispute, Fuhrer, but his natural wealth is. With the current rearmament plans we need more then what we can provide. I’d like the Fuhrer to at least take a look at this, it’s the prognoses of our rearmament initiative with and without Dutch India’s resources. The Fuhrer took the map, opened it and was silent for a few seconds. “Are these numbers…accurate?” Said the Fuhrer. “Yes, I feel they are even a bit on the low side.” The Fuhrer nodded. “I will address the issue at the next major meeting.” Canaris smiled and said: “That’s all I can ask, Mein Fuhrer.”

At the next general staff Hitler talked about The Germanic Agreement, which would favor paying Dutch suppliers compared to other foreign obligations. It also pushed for involvement of Dutch industry in the rearmament of Germany. The plan got the support of most of the General Staff. Von Blomberg saw the Netherlands as the perfect place to expand the army without drawing attention. Schacht had been trying to get several South American countries to keep delivering raw materials, the Agreement would lighten his workload to get enough materials. The most surprising supporter was Goebbels. Goebbels was excited the opportunity it could provide for the propaganda effort. It would prove the good intentions the Reich had towards other Germanic races. Goering was the most vocal about his disapproval of the plan, feeling the Low Countries did not deserve such respect. He was persuaded by the promises there would be negotiations about the involvement of Fokker in the expansion of his Luftwaffe. Canaris himself would be sent to the Dutch Government with the Germanic Agreement.

Aftermath
Canaris.jpg

Canaris travelled by railroad, fearing a plane would draw too much attention to himself

Canaris got an audience with the Queen Wilhelmina on the 5th of October. Germany had made the right choice with sending the Admiral. The Queen looked at Nazi’s with suspicion, but this man made a sensible impression on her. The Queen was favorable for the agreement. The army orders were just the thing the Netherlands needed to get lifted out of the Depression. Canaris left the plans with the Queen and returned to Germany.

Colijn was not amused with the German attitude. He felt deeply insulted that Canaris chose to visit Queen Wilhelmina instead of the prime minister. And besides ignoring democratic chosen leaders, they want the Dutch to get themselves involved with German warmongery? Colijn in anger declared his resignation if the plan was pushed through, but strangely found himself alone. Although the coalition of the Christian parties seemed an unity, none of the other parties were happy with ARP leading it. Even inside the ARP Colijn’s leadership was contested. The resignation of Colijn could only mean a power shift, so they decided to remain silent. Colijn handed in its resignation, but it was flat out refused by Wilhelmina. She thought that an early election would not be in the country’s interest. Instead Colijn would lead until the new elections, which were only a year away. Colijn grudgingly agreed. After the elections in 1934 he withdrew from politics and lived out his life quietly. He never made his resignation public. The Germanic agreement was signed and made public the following day. Although the military orders were designated as the first phase in Dutch rearmament. With the tensions in the world growing, none of the major powers saw Dutch behavior as suspicious, let alone dangerous.

Wilhelmina now had only one thing to do, before the major elections she had to put through a special Amendment change. In the Netherlands a change like that would require 2/3 of parliament to agree and then a newly formed parliament must to do the same. By making the changes right before an election, it made sure that the changes could be made swiftly. needed one of the opposition parties to vote together with her government. The only option seemed to be the NSB.

NSB leader Mussert respected the strength of leadership Wilhemina had shown in recent years, but didn’t care much about the Christian parties that were backing her up. Now and then he would clash with the government in parliament, disregarding protocol. Yet even he couldn’t deny the power Wilhelmina had over the population. Mussert had seen himself as the Dutch Fuhrer, who together with the German one, would usher in a new age of Germanic domination. But he found that his followers would much rather idolize the Queen then some German Austrian. He had to change his plans. If he wanted to keep his powerbase, he had to introduce a more Dutch oriented fascism. He based his new teachings of the idea of the Dutch spirit, which by its bravery and intelligence would triumph were no other can. He still refused to acknowledge Queen Wilhelmina as a leader figure though, in his eyes only he was destined to become one.

When a request for an audience with the Queen came in, Mussert was surprised. After trading formalities Mussert was presented with two new laws to be added to the Amendment change. One of these was fitted to match one of the major demands the NSB had made in recent years. Altough Mussert was hesitant to support both laws, the Queen promised that his support now would not be forgotten. Mussert, afraid that refusing the deal would damage his position as NSB leader, agreed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

…And that’s the end of this update!

Did theoracle not say what the changes were to create suspense (yep! Not to be revealed till ’36 update. But maybe I'll end up revealing one anyway)

Did theoracle lie when he said this update would cover everything till 35 (yep! There is still one update coming. When I started writing, I felt I had to include more then just this. Luckily, that update is mostly done and will be posted on Friday.)

Will theoracle just start playing the game already? (Pff, unlikely.)

Last edited:
Great update Theoracle. Just, why Mussert, why :(. Please tell me Wilhelmina will get rid of this sad little man and hissad little followers.

Get Bernhard as your PM, you know you want to :D.

Ah yes, the inevitable invasion of Belgium. No doubt, it will be an easy task to conquer us, but let us not forget what happened the last time the Netherlands came up with the bright idea to occupy our lands

20070203073630!Wappers_belgian_revolution.jpg

Revolution. Coming to your country.

VERY SOON! :D

-Vincent

Ah yes, the inevitable invasion of Belgium. No doubt, it will be an easy task to conquer us, but let us not forget what happened the last time the Netherlands came up with the bright idea to occupy our lands

Revolution. Coming to your country.

VERY SOON! :D

-Vincent

Indeed, the last time some French decided to spoil our fun kicking around Belgian insurgents :(.

You can always count on the French to spoil your fun :mad:.

Just think of the possibilities of a united Netherlands:
- the Netherlands winning cycling
- the Belgians not having to be ashamed of their national football team
- Dutch cuisine gets an upgrade
- Belgian roads finally getting fixed

And last but not least: having almost a monopoly on the production of beer worldwide!!!

KaiserMuffin said:
ORACALLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! I SHALL HAVE YOU YET!!!!
Well...um..what did I do again? :p

FlyingDutchie said:
Great update Theoracle. Just, why Mussert, why . Please tell me Wilhelmina will get rid of this sad little man and hissad little followers.

Get Bernhard as your PM, you know you want to .
Yeah, I doubt he can survive this long and not majorly screw up. Maybe he already did ;)

And yeah, it is kind of annoying that as soon as you become an authorian Netherlands, you're stuck with NSB ministers, and very a-historical. Germany never liked giving power to the NSB. It much rather gave power to collaborating ministers. I think the most Mussert ever got done was a meeting with Hitler. Oh well.

Also, I might have made a few minister files changes already :cool:

TRP said:

Ah, nothing like a Dutch AAR to stir up Belgium nationalism. You should have just let your whole country read this. You'll all unite within no time ;)

Also, it's clear that all those arms we are building are mearly for self defense against the Entente, who has been pushing us around. Surely we would not use them for some misguided idea of an united Netherlands. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Is there no way to, uh, peacefully incorporate Belgium? Or, like, uh, peacefully incorporate Flanders and steamroll Wallonia? :rolleyes:

I'm not denying the option of funding Flanders movements or any pro-Orangistic movements by the Dutch govermenent. We believe it's the right of any man to choose for Wilhelmina as their new leader :cool:

1.5. Asian power struggles

lonned.jpg

The Netherlands adressing the League of Nations

The Dutch Government got a new concern when in the summer of 1931 Japan conquered Manchuria and set up the puppet state of Manchukuo. The Dutch had kept a close eye on the ultra-nationalistic movements that had been forming Japan, but this blatant breach of Chinese sovereignty worried them greatly. Especially because the Dutch could no longer automatically count on the Allies to protect Dutch East India. Dutch East india was vital for the Netherlands. It’s wealth of raw materials did not only support the Dutch economy, but others as well. These resources would be the only leverage the Dutch had. It needed to safeguard the Dutch East India at any costs.

When the League of Nations discussed the aggressive actions of the Japanese, the Dutch delegation withheld from voting. The official complaint was that the Lytton Report, made by the British Earl of Lytton, was an attempt by the Entente to protect their own interests in China. It requested a new fact finding mission by a more neutral state in order to confirm British findings. It was a diplomatic bluff. Although the British questioned the Dutch Ambassador what the Dutch really wanted, he only repeated the official government statement. After the votes, no League of Nations member dared to openly call out the Dutch on a pro-Japan agenda, but the action was not lost on the Japanese. Although it caught the Japanese off guard, the Japanese ambassador thanked the Dutch through unofficial channels a few days later.

The Dutch also started small scale trade agreements with the Japanese to ease up diplomatic tensions. In the following years the Japanese propaganda tried to limit the mention of the Netherlands as one of the negative powers inside Asia, instead only referencing to the wrongness of colonization in general. the Koninklijk Nederlands Indisch Leger still got their request granted to increase their presence in East Dutch India. An Army corps of three divisions was placed on the island Sumatra. Making them only 2 division smaller then the army presence in the Netherlands. This increased army presence put a stress on Dutch convoys though and shipments arriving late or not all were more common. The Dutch government took steps in increasing its transport convoys to deal with the demand, but it seems that they always fell one ship short.

But the Dutch did not just fear forces outside Dutch East India, inside their colony there was nationalism brewing. The Dutch had recently made a higher education possible for the native population of the colony. Now a generation of highly educated young men was wondering why they had so little power in the place they grew up. Why did they learn the exploits of Willem van Oranje and all the names of the rivers flowing through the Netherlands, but not how their people came to be? Generations of the Netherlands exploiting the area fuelled their anger.

The Dutch public opinion thought differently about the situation. For a long time the Dutch saw the colony as a shining example of how a colony should be run. The 20th century featured many reforms for the colony. Besides the educational reforms of late, there had also formed a People’s council in 1918. This Council was chosen to represent Dutch settlers, the native population and the Chinese and other minorities. This council would advise the governor-general, the Dutch East India regent. At its creation Dutch settlers still kept a majority in the Council. The Dutch tended to ignore the fact the reforms only started because of the guilt the Dutch were starting to feel for the centuries of oppression of their colonies. Neither the Indonesian nor the Dutch could forget this past so easily.

degraeff.jpg

--- We are standing before an endless and intensifying struggle, which if we continue, we will loose. ---
Written by de Graeff in 1928

The end of the 1920’s saw communist uprisings in Dutch East India. The governor-gernal Cornelus Dirk de Graeff responded firmly. Besides several death sentences a total of 4500 were jailed. Yet this governor general saw the need to appease the nationalistic movements inside the Dutch colony. In 1927, against the wishes of more conservative Dutch, De Graeff changed the amount of native representatives from 25 to 30, making the Dutch a minority in the People’s Council. In 1929 a nationalistic movement, called the PNI, gained popularity. This movement, led by Soekarno, demanded a full independent status for what they called Indonesia. At the end of 1929 De Graeff felt himself pressured to arrest Soekarno and several of the PNI leaders. But yet again, he acted against conservative wishes and felt that it was necessary to grand them public trials. Soekarno used this trial to deliver a powerful speech. All the leaders of PNI got long prison sentences. Soekarno received a death sentence. The Indonesian people were enraged. De Graeff decided to save Soekarno from the death penalty, to avoid making him a martar. De Graeff was about to grand Soekarno clemency when the conservative Dutch could stand by no more. They wanted De Graeff removed. Queen Wilhelmina herself had to interfere. She supported the clemency shown towards the PNI. She threathened with a govermental crisis if de Graeff would be fired and under the fear that Wilhelmina would withdrew all her polical and financial support, De Graeff was allowed to stay.

Wilhelmina’s direct intervention in Indonesia earned her respect with the Indonesian people, but the more radical movements saw her support too little too late. In the following years De Graeff, under the protection of Wilhelmina, was allowed to support the more moderate Nationalistic groups. Violent uprisings were still beaten down and the PNI was not persuaded from its claims for total independence, but the atmosphere cooled down.

-------------------------------------

theoracle has made a promise and delivers, *besides the whole this is the last update thing, again...* but unfortunaly
the oracle has exams next week. Also, that guy in the first picture is supposed to be a Dutch foreign minister, but I have no clue whatsoever who he is, if anyone does, I'll be happy to hear it. :p

Which means only one textual update next week. But after that, it's game time! For real this time! NO seriously! I keep wanting to add more events to it. I've now planned ahead to atleast 41-42, so after that I'm at the mercy of brute forcing stuff. Infact, if my events keep acting up, I might just trigger them in the console instead, saving me trigger debugging.

Also, the Dutch East India did indeed get 3 new divisions, in exchange I decreased my starting resources. Unless you are part of the Allies, it's impossible to reinforce your colonies. in AoD localised production might fix this, but in HOI 2 I couldn't see any other way, besides giving up Dutch East India all together, making the main reason this AAR can exist impossible. The other solution would be to force an Japanese alliance early in the game, but that only leads to an early Pearl Harbor :eek:

Last edited:
Nice update, very informative.
Take your time for the next one.

And last but not least: having almost a monopoly on the production of beer worldwide!!!

I have been convinced. Hail our glorious union! Hail the Dutch monopoly on malty thirst quenchers! :D

Ah, nothing like a Dutch AAR to stir up Belgium nationalism. You should have just let your whole country read this. You'll all unite within no time ;)

Not united? Our country has no unity problems! Everyone agrees here!
Quoi? Je suis pas 'daccord moi!
Taisez-vous, imbècile! On doit au moins SEMBLER une pays unie!
Une pays? La Belgique, c'est une invention, pas une pays!
Walen? Vuile Walen in mijn land! Vlaanderen onafhankelijk! weg met de immigranten! Ze namen ons werk af! Ons wéééérk!
Oses-tu ca dire ici, bête flamande?
Ruzie? zoekt ge ruzie? Kom maar halen, Waal!
Oh, t'as de problèmes maintenant. Oui, T'AS DE PROBLEMES MAINTENANT
*Sporadic fighting and cheers can be heard in the background. Several surrounders begin the song 'The Flemish lion roars'*

Did you know we have a Facebook-group now? For every Flemish person that isnt a total xenophobe retarddoes not mind the Walloons. There are 10.000 of us now, yay! :D

Great AAR, good read. Just one question: Why the French title? Wouldn't 'We zullen sterk staan' be a more logical title? 'We uphold' sounds kinda random, or is this linked to still unrevealed plot twists?

-Vincent

It is the national motto of the Netherlands and it's on the Dutch coat of arms. Don't ask me why it's in French, but well, we're stuck with it ;)

Well it was the motto of William the silent IIRC (and the house of Orange is coming from France, If I am right)

It is the national motto of the Netherlands and it's on the Dutch coat of arms. Don't ask me why it's in French, but well, we're stuck with it ;)

Yup, think of the irony, a French motto in a country where nobody speaks that language anymore...

Great AAR, good read. Just one question: Why the French title? Wouldn't 'We zullen sterk staan' be a more logical title? 'We uphold' sounds kinda random, or is this linked to still unrevealed plot twists?
-Vincent

The Royal House of Oranje-Nassau has his roots in two places. The Duchy of Nassau, in what's now Germany. And The Principality of Orange which now is a place in France. Both places were part of the Kingdom, The French stole it during the Franco Dutch War, also known as the Let's gang up on Holland war. Nassau later became a part of Prussia during the Austro-Prussian War.

Je Maintendrais is the motto of the House of Orange and has stuck with us ever since. It is imprinted on our coat of arms, which apart from this looks more like the Nassau coat of arms.

BTW, the offical dutch translation is: "Wij zullen handhaven" ....I figured Je Maintendrais sounded better ;)

Last edited:
Wow. You know i must say you are an excellent writer. I don't really like what you are doing to our little country, especially making Wilhelmina look bad by shaking hands with Anton Mussert but i'm really looking forward too the actual game and war part. I'll bet Belgium and Luxembourg will be reentered into the great Dutch Empire with force real soon.