• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

tuore

Caramelised Utopian
76 Badges
Mar 16, 2009
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Lost Empire - Immortals
  • Magicka
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Deus Vult
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Island Bound
  • 200k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
Blue And White

A Finnish AAR

Part I: Let them Come!

NOTE: This AAR may and will contain cheating/editing, as HoI3's historical options are poor. So I can edit myself into a faction and get out of it, as HoI3 doesn't feature the option to make a peace if you are in a faction.

First of September 1939 Germany attacks Poland. The world war has started, but what's the situation of Finland?

Good. We have enough troops to defend, and the Soviet troops seem to be somewhere else from the border. We aren't able to produce almost anything, but we'll manage.

bordernegotiations.jpg

10th September the Soviets send a demand. They demand Karelia to 'ensure Leningrad is safe'. Bah! Let them come!

Carl G. Mannerheim is leading the Supreme Headquarters, and just when he heard about the war, we saw a perfect opportunity to attack:

opportunity.jpg

Leningrad was undefended. Three days later, Finnish 11th Division, led by Arajuuri, captured it.

captureqg.jpg

This means we could already peace out the war, and even demand them to cede a region. But not yet...

Last edited:
Leningrad Will Hold!

Leningrad was ours. If things turn out bad, we peace out the war. But Leningrad must hold. If we lose it, there's no way they would accept peace.

Then, suddenly, on September 24th, all of the Soviet troops disappeared. They left us!

eastux.jpg

So it's time to take our cores.

1st October we finally saw Soviet troops. Heavy fighting resulted in numerous withdraws, but our new strongholds Murmansk (5 VP) and Petrozavodsk (1 VP) will hold.

By using encirclements, or using the real name invented by Finns, motti.

timeforpeace.jpg

Just when heavier Soviet troops arrived, we had our cores. Leningrad's fighting has now lasted for two weeks.

peaceaw.jpg

12:00, 15th of October, we suggest peace.

Only two days later the Finnish soldiers had proven their worth: Soviets accepted a peace deal and ceded our rightful territory.

eastu.jpg

Great job! But why were the Soviets so absent from their border?

Don't know, maybe they decided the Finns aren't that much of trouble? :rofl:
Anyway, there seems to be a problem with the Soviet AI. Winter war decision can be made if SU has troops on the border. So they do it right away, leaving Leningrad without protection. Good for us, bad for them.

No no no do something completely different!:D Sweden's been looking at you sideways... ;)

This is precisely why I haven't started the gameplay part of my AAR yet. Once the Soviets gain land border with Germany they decide to amass their forces there O_p

Nice, but are you going to continue this and help germany in barbarossa? :)

I'm too far away from Axis...:( maybe.

No no no do something completely different!:D Sweden's been looking at you sideways... ;)

Neutrality is 99.77 while it needs to be 0.22. So, as much as i'd like to destroy the Swedes, i can't.

You certainly caught the Russians with their pants down. :D What are your next plans?

If all else fails, i wait for the truce to end.

Peacetime

Three hours after signing the peace, Kyösti Kallio, our president, orders a full demobilization of our armed forces. Next production run of infantry will be ready on February.

19th October new ministers are appointed:

newministers.jpg

Towards Axis we go!

November 17 Denmark refuses to surrender. Germans land to Malmö.

New HQ is created:

patrols.jpg

And our leadership:

research.jpg

When the truce ends (IIRC it's two years) in Autumn 1941, we're prepared.

Looking good so far, shame about the neutrality though :(

Axis

We decided to build IC, but we noticed we needed Construction Engineering. It is instantly added to the research queue.

4th April Sweden surrenders to Axis. Norway is also annexed 7th of May.

Three days later we finish our new research:

wtfxi.jpg

Better planes are always good.
24th of May, a black day. I have to edit Finland in the Axis, as HoI3 represents Finland too close to Allies, although Finland and Germany had good relations, making some even think they were allied. So we're now an Axis member.

We notice a funny thing in the French front:

wtfpd.jpg

Germany couldn't defeat the Maginot line, so they encircled it :rofl:.
Soviets claim Bessarabia in June 1940. This raises their threat, and soon we're able to declare war (and call Germany with us).

I'll update today, i've been quite busy lately.
Crap, looks like i get a CTD on french surrender. Wait.

Last edited:
Towards the Greater Finland

7th July Hungary gave up to the German forces after being made puppet by Romania, then Yugoslavia and now conquered by Germany. One week later France surrendered too and Vichy France was created. Japan demanded Indochina, which was granted to them.
Shortly afterwards Siam was forced to Axis by Japan.

Our production queue as of 30th July:

prodrod.jpg

Our neutrality is lowering. Soon we are able to attack the Russians and show them that Finland can't be beaten. Now we only wait for Germans to get close to the border.

Meanwhile, our politicians have drawn a map of the Suur-Suomi, or the Greater Finland, our objectives to capture and hold:

suursuomi.jpg

This is actually Finland's historical idea of Greater Finland, excluding Inkeri, Estonia, Ruija and Länsipohja. More of this in wikipedia.

17th of August German forces are ready. We are one step closer to Greater Finland.

summeroffensive.jpg

* * *​

Say, what do you like that map I drew? It was fun to make it, and I think it looks quite pretty. And it matches the historical idea. Also check the wikipedia link.