• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ten bucks on King!

;)
I can imagine everyone betting in favor of King's suggestion, then there is no DD today. Then it turns out, the only person to bet against King? King.

I can imagine everyone betting in favor of King's suggestion, then there is no DD today. Then it turns out, the only person to bet against King? King.

Damn I though no one had seen that South Park Episode.

Damn I though no one had seen that South Park Episode.

>_<

Stop spamming the thread and write the next DD, damn you!

I'm getting cravings.

Ah, but King is not allowed to bet.

Bruno, make sure King does not enter a bet.

baby%20sulk.bmp

Well this is it, the first developer diary for Victoria 2. You’ll be seeing a lot more of these over the coming weeks; we aim for one a week but we know now that this won’t always happen. Either there will be things like holidays (I know what you are thinking: ‘but this is communist Sweden and we do get those kinds of things here’) or major games shows will interrupt this weekly schedule. However, most weeks until gold you’ll see a diary from me.

Well first up, those of you with a keen eye for detail will have seen that this is not Johan posting, so who the hell am I? I am Chris King and I am the designer for Victoria 2. I joined Paradox three and half years ago and my first project was Victoria Revolutions. Victoria has always had a special place in my heart because of that. In a fit of honesty I must say that although I am credited designer, it does not logically follow that everything you see in the game is my idea. Game design is very much a collaborative work and the whole team pitches in at various points. Still the joy of the credit for game design means you end up being the poor guy who has to write everything down. So that’s why it has fallen to me to write the developer diaries.

So the first question you must all be wondering, why Victoria 2? It is probably no secret that Victoria was not Paradox’s most commercially successful title. Which did make it less likely to become a sequel that some of our more popular titles. However, here we are doing a sequel.

There are two main reasons for this, first up was Victoria Revolutions. Now it itself it wasn’t a blockbuster, those of you who follow game sales charts will notice it wasn’t quite able to shift games like World of Warcraft or the Sims of the top of the charts, but as an expansion it had its following. So one idea bounced around was a second expansion to Victoria and ideas were generated. All this came to nought because as a company we decided to not work with the old engine again, but the ideas remained.

Meanwhile the new engine is cranking out games and the code base for the new engine is steadily expanding. With this foundation projects that we did not consider possible a few years ago suddenly became doable. So when it came to decide which game to do after Hearts of Iron 3, there were these ideas sitting around for an expansion to Victoria. These ideas looked pretty cool but more was going to be needed. However, here was the kernel of what we believe is a great game. The rest is history.

Traditionally dev diaries usually include screenshots, but this one sadly doesn’t. For those of you who can’t be bothered to read long developer ego stroking posts and just want to look at the pictures here are some sprites. These are just a small selection of the final in game sprites; we will unveil more as we go through development.

Fez doesnt expose that much forehead when used.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fez_(hat)

the fez those people are wearing is the same with any eastern fez that was worn back in 19th century.

Just come along to find the first of the DD diaries posted. Thanks for this King. I know there wasn't a vast amount of content but all news is good news. :cool:

Lots of people split in opinion over the sprites eh? I much prefer the look of the old engine 2D map and sprites over the new stuff (EU3 and Rome etc), but I know there is no going back.

the reality is that, the new engine (3d) can be made look as exactly romantic as eu2, or vic 1.

its not the engine that determines what color, shade, or gloss graphic is going to be used, its the designer. whatever sprite, in whatever shade, coloring, fashion you put there, will appear as it is.

I agree. I like the smaller platoons better. And in all of these games you have two main stances on sprites: 1. walking 2. standing on guard, and sometimes maybe a third for attacking? well, often the same as moving...

So I think it would be cooler if the bayonets were pointing in the direction they were walking. Makes them look more dangerous :eek: and you can see more easily which way they walk. :cool:

Paradox takes every effort to ensure accuracy for Sweden. As we all know, in 1836 Sweden was a sunny paradise just coming in to its own with an easy road to leading a Scandinavian union, colonising Namibia and dominating the world.

Why is the swedish soldier brown skinned? He should be the whitest of them all imo.

a colonial soldier? from the expansive colonial territories in the swedish congo.

Graphics in all pre-release screenshots may or may not represent final quality.™

Besides, everyone knows all swedes goes to Thailand in the winter, and to Mediterranean in the summer, so they are bound to be tanned all year around. (yes, this was true for the 19th century as well ;) )

Paradox takes every effort to ensure accuracy for Sweden. As we all know, in 1836 Sweden was a sunny paradise just coming in to its own with an easy road to leading a Scandinavian union, colonising Namibia and dominating the world.

Lol. Sweden always does well in my Vicky games. Maybe I should play them sometime and see. :p

Besides, everyone knows all swedes goes to Thailand in the winter, and to Mediterranean in the summer, so they are bound to be tanned all year around. (yes, this was true for the 19th century as well

Ha ha. When I was in Ko Samui, Thailand in 2004 I thought I was in New Gotland because of the number of Swedes there. ;)

Since i didn't see this before now, it's the best thing i could have wished for for Christmas!

I am in awe of the magnificence of PI! Also the way that you take up a game like Vicki again, which most companies probably would forget after looking at sales, but yet again PI shows that they more about gaming than just sales figures. People like you make me believe in the honesty of had work and dedication in these times of financial egotism being the norm. THANK YOU!

Now just one question... Will i be able to get Prussian (not German, Prussian) tanks? ;)

Soldiers look good enough.
However, I do not see any reason why is not possible to switch from this sprite to another one, more apropriate for WW I. EU3 does have several "soldier's looks" for different eras, it would be nice, if that can be applied in VictoriaII at least once. Could be treagered (for all existing nation) simply by reaching XX century (as someone suggested).
I appeal to Paradoxians to made it that way, if still it's not too late.
Thanks.

Soldiers look good enough.
However, I do not see any reason why is not possible to switch from this sprite to another one, more apropriate for WW I. EU3 does have several "soldier's looks" for different eras, it would be nice, if that can be applied in VictoriaII at least once. Could be treagered (for all existing nation) simply by reaching XX century (as someone suggested).
I appeal to Paradoxians to made it that way, if still it's not too late.
Thanks.

It's not that we can't switch sprite. However it is not a simple matter to slot in the HoI3 sprites.