• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Looks like a golden opportunity with Russia declaring war. I take it you're going to concentrate on Denmark and knock them out of the war first?

Joe

Good luck sir!

Not even telling me of this new venture of yours! At least we have no more subservience to the near uZBEKs of Russia.

You appear to be surrounded.

Still, if you manage to hold off teh bear a nice excuse to snag a province or two from the perfidious Danes.
A keen observation. Yes it will be good to try to get a province if I can. Nice to see you in an AAR of mine again, it has been a while.

I say let the winter kill the Russians.
An excellent strategy.

Yep. They'll never expect it!

Definitely grab Gotland, Jamtland, and Skane if you can.
I will try.

Wow kewl! I'd love to see you squirm your way out of this one :p
I hope so.

Oh yes, a Duke of Wellington AAR :cool:.

Perhaps a little twist of humour from time to time? I loved it in your older works.

You have a more ambitious goal than I used to have in my Pomeranian AAR, though on the other hand I played it on quite a different map, and started as a two province minor... Let's see how you fare ;).
I'll try to get some humour in. It isn't the aim of this AAR but I shall make sure I can ;)

Under pressure right from the start. I'll sit back and watch this unfold.
Hope you enjoy.

Threatened from everywhere, but a moderate army in Finland waiting for the best time to strike (obviously winter) and your fleet blocking the Sund will prevent Sweden proper to be too directly attacked.

Ostlandet is also a very goold province to assiege because unless the rest of Norway it have a better winter, and taking it would pretty much Denmark's position in the north.

Anyway, good luck and I'll be watching. :)
Quite right. Ostlandet is always warm in winter? I thought perhaps I got lucky, I guess not.

Yeah, no surprise to see Russia jump quickly. Probably saw you poking around Danzig and decided they couldn't have that. ;)

Great to see a new AAR from you, Duke! Good luck.
Thanks. That might be the excuse Russia needed. But really do they ever need an excuse to attack?

Game looks nice and will you take province from Russia, if you win? :D

Also anyone know that FtG supports intel graphic card? Do I need things like blue map mod if I play it?
I might take some later but not straight away. You shouldn't need much to play this game. It is pretty basic in it's computer demands. If your computer can handle EUIII this will be a breeze.

Don't worry, as Swedes are superior everything elseand Danes are inferior to everything else, you will suceed!
Glad to have your vote of confidence.

Very interesting! I once tried to create a similar 'mare nostrum' with papal states. But that was in my 'F12' days.
It didn't work out that well, as I had to conquer all of the ottoman empire, keep lots of unwanted provinces for ages untill I had their capital and the few other provinces I needed.
Fortunatly you don't need a big country's capital. If you won't let prussia appear, that is.
I don't think they will appear but we shall see. Denmark is the biggest one around.

A nasty war with the Russians and the Danes. Fight dirty and snatch Skåne from "danskjävlarna" ( =the Danish bastards) as we call them!:D

Looks like a golden opportunity with Russia declaring war. I take it you're going to concentrate on Denmark and knock them out of the war first?

Joe
Actually Denmark offers the best rewards so it is nice to try and knock Russia out first.

:D Nice clip. Odd but I like it.

Heh, let the Russian serfs taste Finnish winter! :D
During those time when we still had snow in Finland. :eek:o
Better watch for the Russians now. They will be sneaky like that.

Great clip! :D
It is good.

I had the suspicion you'd be one of the first ones to start a new AAR here... :) Good luck with Sweden, it seems you didn't have to wait long to get some action :D
It was faster than expected. Still nothing like having the ai dow you to make it fun when you trounce 'em!

Good luck sir!

Not even telling me of this new venture of yours! At least we have no more subservience to the near uZBEKs of Russia.
Certainly no uZBEKs in this AAR. Apologies for not telling you kind gentleman.

shield_swe.png

The war with Denmark and Russia (oh and of course Holstein, I shouldn’t forget them) opens up three front. To the east Russia can invade along the Finnish front, A long border extending from Ingermanland to Kola. In the west I share a long border with Denmark running the length of Norway. To the south Denmark has one more point of entry, across the straits from Copenhagen to Skane and thus on into Sweden.

To shut off the south I quickly send my fleet to blockade Copenhagen. There, joined by Mecklenburg, they prevent any Danish armies from invading. The Danish fleet is also shut up in harbour meaning that I won’t have to face any amphibious invasions.
ScreenSave12.jpg

To the east Russia invades quickly with a moderately sized army. My very nice general Gustav II Adolf watches on.
ScreenSave11.jpg

Watching proves to be a good course of action as the Russian hordes pile into Sweden in ever increasing numbers.
ScreenSave14.jpg

The ai then fails to grasp the fact that winter means death and death is a bad thing. I on the other hand am quite content to let Gustav continue to watch as the snow does all the dirty work.
ScreenSave15.jpg

Winter can of course be a double edged sword. But I strike it lucky when Oslo experiences a warm winter and no snow. My siege there progresses steadily over the winter with minimal losses to attrition.
ScreenSave16.jpg

ScreenSave17.jpg

Oslo falls to Swedish troops early in the Swedish-Russian war

Around 80,000 Russian troops invaded Sweden at the start of the winter. Only between 20,000 and 30,000 remained at the end. I take this golden opportunity to allow Gustav to stop being a spectator and get in on the action.
ScreenSave19.jpg

In the west I send my armies deeper into Norway. The Danish forces there are small and will present little resistance.
ScreenSave20.jpg

In the Danish homeland there is remarkably little action. I still haven’t built up a big enough force to begin the siege in Skane properly. Denmark remains paralysed by the naval blockade which is preventing all troop movement. In a case of my vassal is bigger than your vassal, Mecklenburg stomps on Holstein and lays siege to their one province.
ScreenSave21.jpg

The first action of the war in the north sees me dispatch a fast cavalry regiment to capture the unfortified colonies of Denmark and Russia.
ScreenSave22.jpg

As soon as Kola and Karelia are seized Russia sends an envoy to sue for peace. They will give me 95 ducats. I take the opportunity. I doubt there was much risk from Russia, they just can’t handle winter, but the gains were not worth a prolonged war and they did still have some large armies marching around. Now I can concentrate on Denmark and getting closer to my goal of a united Baltic.
ScreenSave23.jpg

Very well done with Russia (even if winter did most of the job)! Now you should probably try to take Skane, Gotland and maybe Jamtland (its not Baltic, but you do have a core on it).

Keep Ostlandet for later, you can alway retake it as easily as you did in this war.;)

Silly Russians forgetting about old man winter like that. He's always an able and willing participant to war in those parts.

Of course, I am jealous of your huge navy, masses of troops and Gustav. What I could do with those in Scotland. ;)

Keep up the pressure on Denmark.

In EU2 I'd usually take all ugric-cultured provinces from Russia in the 1617 scenario ;).

But given your objectives, it was a good choice to get rid of them as soon as possible. Denmark is easy as pie when you're Sweden :D

Congrats on the victory good sir! And it looks as if your attack on the perfidious Danes also progresses well!

I like gameplay AARs. You have done well so far. I will continue watching. :)

(This post brought to you by short declarative sentences).

It's always disappointing to see the AI fail so miserably with attrition,

This is unfortunate to see since it means the AI has not been improve to the point of being able to give the player a real challenge anywhere where winter is a factor.:(

Joe