• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Weird!.I have no idea why its there ,it is not needed?
Its not in my master file ,but it is in the downloaded.rar from the site.
Sometimes with .rar's thumbs are made for some reason which i do not know ,i have noticed it in some older sprite packs of others ,but i have always never added them and everything always worked.
Perhaps i had renamed and old folder?

Thanks for spotting that as the pack was incorrectly built.

I found an answer to what "thumbs.db" is. German language:
http://computer.meinwissen.info/thumbsdb-was-sie-ist-und-wofuer-man-sie-braucht/

My rough translation: Thumbs.db is a file which contains information regarding the miniatureview of thumbnails, mostly found in folders containing pictures. Even if you delete it, it will be re-created by Explorer once you open that folder again so that you will see the miniatureview faster than when it has to be created from the pic every time. Can only be permanently get rid of if you change the settings of your Explorer accodring to the article.

I found an answer to what "thumbs.db" is. German language:
http://computer.meinwissen.info/thumbsdb-was-sie-ist-und-wofuer-man-sie-braucht/

My rough translation: Thumbs.db is a file which contains information regarding the miniatureview of thumbnails, mostly found in folders containing pictures. Even if you delete it, it will be re-created by Explorer once you open that folder again so that you will see the miniatureview faster than when it has to be created from the pic every time. Can only be permanently get rid of if you change the settings of your Explorer accodring to the article.
Cool thanks for this CD i was still wondering about it and its good to confirm its nothing to worry about :)

Dr

Soviet Leaders and Ministers packs problems

I am not sure whether it is on this thread I can post about this, if it is not then I am sorry could the moderators point me the right place to post.

I have downloaded the Fix-Enhancements packs for this CORE .91 so I can enjoy the game better, one of the fix files was the fixes for Soviet Leaders+Ministers pictures etc.

I found that after I installed this fix files, Boris Shaposhnikov is not represented with his photo anymore in game, along with Ivan Grigorievich Zaharkin, and also minister of foreign affairs Maksim Litvinov. I also saw several more missing photos for the Soviet leaders, these are just examples I cited. Perhaps there are more missing leaders and ministers for other countries in game, but I have not tried to play other countries yet, so I can not say for sure.

Is there any way to correct this minor problem?

Thank you.

EDIT: questions removed as told.

Last edited:
I am not sure whether it is on this thread I can post about this, if it is not then I am sorry could the moderators point me the right place to post.

I have downloaded the Fix-Enhancements packs for this CORE .91 so I can enjoy the game better, one of the fix files was the fixes for Soviet Leaders+Ministers pictures etc.

I found that after I installed this fix files, Boris Shaposhnikov is not represented with his photo anymore in game, along with Ivan Grigorievich Zaharkin, and also minister of foreign affairs Maksim Litvinov. I also saw several more missing photos for the Soviet leaders, these are just examples I cited. Perhaps there are more missing leaders and ministers for other countries in game, but I have not tried to play other countries yet, so I can not say for sure.

When you write that you downloaded the "fix-enhancemant packs" do you mean the original Picture-Fixpack here on the HoI forum or those from the Stonyroad forum here?
http://www.stonyroad.de/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16

Also, if I may I would like to ask a couple questions regarding the technologies in this CORE:

1. What exactly is the benefit of researching Television Broadcasting. Is it just to get -1 dissent and nothing more? The description says it triggers various in game events. Can someone cite a few just for example?

2. Why the increase in caliber in mountain gun from 90mm to 100mm does not carry with it the added firepower, but only added supply cost? If such is the case then who wants to research mountain gun 100mm, then?

3. This is just perhaps a little comment. Why I get the feeling that the tech tree now is really complicated for me just to get a decent torpedo for my submarine?

4. Why Infantry guns research only applies its benefit to militia units?

That has nothing to do with Bugs and does not belong in the bugs subforum.

Yes no problem.
Thanks for bringing this to my attention.Soviet leaders are fine no pics missing in my game ,BUT there are a few soviet Minister pics not showing as you say.
This is Bestmajors work and i am sure its just that the few pics not showing are just incorrectly spelt to match the leaders.csv.I can probably find them and fix the issue.

EDIT OK i have had a look

Maksim Litinov is missing i will contact BM...or find the old pic.

Boris Shaposhnikov is in my game, but not in the new pack, it use the old original pic and you should have it named as shaposjnikov_boris_sov

Ivan Grigorievich Zaharkin is in my game but not in the pack So i can fix this.

But all others are in my game?So you will have to report any others you have missing to me ,or at stony , so i can correct BM's pack for all.

This is the soviet leaders thread at Stony road site.
http://www.stonyroad.de/forum/showthread.php?t=9145&page=5
Are you a member there?BM would have loved help with Russian language when he was making the pack.
Any other new pics you see missing please report which ones they are.
Also, if I may I would like to ask a couple questions regarding the technologies in this CORE:

1. What exactly is the benefit of researching Television Broadcasting. Is it just to get -1 dissent and nothing more? The description says it triggers various in game events. Can someone cite a few just for example?
IIRC there are broadcasting events and just guessing maybe TV helps with Radar screens etc?
2. Why the increase in caliber in mountain gun from 90mm to 100mm does not carry with it the added firepower, but only added supply cost? If such is the case then who wants to research mountain gun 100mm, then?
not sure but its probably so certain nations have there historical model.CORE adds many more choices.For example maybe Germany used 90mm & Italy 100mm??
3. This is just perhaps a little comment. Why I get the feeling that the tech tree now is really complicated for me just to get a decent torpedo for my submarine?
CORE is all about more choice and delaying ahistorical weapon building so you cannot have super weapons to early in game.
4. Why Infantry guns research only applies its benefit to militia units?
Just a guess but probably 100mm guns were not really used by infantry much in WW2 to me they sound like old giant WW1 guns that may well have been used by militia in defense in WW2 and would cause normal infantry to move to slowly.Just a guess though.

But i do not think they are bugs.

Dr

Last edited:
not sure but its probably so certain nations have there historical model.CORE adds many more choices.For example maybe Germany used 90mm & Italy 100mm??

He probably only sees the values INGAME (which are rounded!) and so does not see the differences behind the screen for which he would need to look at that technology in the gamefiles under /tech

Could we move this to the normal CORE forum as that is no bug?

He probably only sees the values INGAME (which are rounded!) and so does not see the differences behind the screen for which he would need to look at that technology in the gamefiles under /tech
Ah ha! Yes good point CD.That is probably it Zhukov.
Could we move this to the normal CORE forum as that is no bug?
I have no powers here but maybe Nikolai will notice.

But he was right about the new soviet minister pics bugs.(I have edited my post above confirming them)

Dr

The one that is posted on the stonyroad.de.
@ Zhukov I have answered your some of your leader questions in post 1726.I have also posted in the stony Soviet thread informing BM of the missing leader.
If you have any others not mentioned missing in your game please tell me which ones they are here or at stony.

Dr

Revolt.txt

When starting a game as Germany in 1936 why is it possible to release Poland as a puppet granting them the eastern german provinces?

That should not be possible due to
1) Poland already exists on the map and it would create a 2nd polish state existing at the same time?
2) the only Poland in revolt.txt is the "crippled" Poland that has only Warsaw as core to simulate the Warsaw uprising. With only Warsaw as core how can a Poland be released that gets only eastern Germany as provinces and NOT Warsaw (because that is already owned by the "normal" Poland)?

Do I miss something here?

When starting a game as Germany in 1936 why is it possible to release Poland as a puppet granting them the eastern german provinces?
Not definite but i think this is because the Polish get claims on them when at war.

That should not be possible due to
1) Poland already exists on the map and it would create a 2nd polish state existing at the same time?
This is a similar issue that we have discussed before and similar to the Vichy revolt tweak, it does not really matter as only a Human player can do so and they would have to be pretty mad to do it:)Same issue is with a quite few nations that have border changes province clashes and issues i do not think its a problem.
2) the only Poland in revolt.txt is the "crippled" Poland that has only Warsaw as core to simulate the Warsaw uprising. With only Warsaw as core how can a Poland be released that gets only eastern Germany as provinces and NOT Warsaw (because that is already owned by the "normal" Poland)?
Agreed it is confusing and is the one of the reason i added Communist Poland to the revolt file ,preempting just in case there are end of war issues.As it stands originally there is no post war Poland in CORE.But it is possible to puppet Poland in 39 as Germans.So i think its all working as designed, at least i have had no problems with it.
Do I miss something here?
Probably not ,little gets past you.:)

Dr

Not definite but i think this is because the Polish get claims on them when at war.

This is a similar issue that we have discussed before and similar to the Vichy revolt tweak, it does not really matter as only a Human player can do so and they would have to be pretty mad to do it:)Same issue is with a quite few nations that have border changes province clashes and issues i do not think its a problem.
Agreed it is confusing and is the one of the reason i added Communist Poland to the revolt file ,preempting just in case there are end of war issues.As it stands originally there is no post war Poland in CORE.But it is possible to puppet Poland in 39 as Germans.So i think its all working as designed, at least i have had no problems with it.
Probably not ,little gets past you.:)

Dr

Ah - now I get it.
The problem is not the Republic of Poland (that is the country that already exists at the start of 1936) and not the "resistance/warsaw uprising" Poland that only has Warsaw as core.

It´s your "communist post-war" Poland which I now found under tag U15.

Problem is that all cores of Communist Poland are listed under "minimum". That means any country owning even *one* of those "minimum" province can release "communist Poland". Even Nazi Germany owning an unimportant border province can release communist Poland as a puppet in 1936.

Simple solution:
Only list those provinces under "minimum" that are absolutely *required* to have communist Poland. My personal opinion would be only Warsaw and Krakow as the central most important provinces of Poland.

All other provinces need to go under "extras".

The difference is that now only a country who owns Warsaw or Krakow can release "communist" poland as his puppet - and should he own the "extra" provinces then he will cede those to Poland too.

But Nazi Germany now will no longer be able to release "communist Poland" at the start of the scenario. Only after conquering Poland can they do so but that can´t be prevented as far as I know.

Code:
U15 = { #Communist Poland
	date = { day = 1 month = january year = 1936 }
	expirydate = { day = 1 month = january year = 1960 }
	minimum = {
			 643 638 #only warsaw and krakow
		   }
	extra = { 649 642 723 720 724 635 637 639 640 648 646 645 647 606 599 607 603 636 }
        ai = "core_POL_36.ai"
	capital = 643 #Warszawa
}

Ah - now I get it.
The problem is not the Republic of Poland (that is the country that already exists at the start of 1936) and not the "resistance/warsaw uprising" Poland that only has Warsaw as core.

It´s your "communist post-war" Poland which I now found under tag U15.

Problem is that all cores of Communist Poland are listed under "minimum". That means any country owning even *one* of those "minimum" province can release "communist Poland". Even Nazi Germany owning an unimportant border province can release communist Poland as a puppet in 1936.

Simple solution:
Only list those provinces under "minimum" that are absolutely *required* to have communist Poland. My personal opinion would be only Warsaw and Krakow as the central most important provinces of Poland.

All other provinces need to go under "extras".

The difference is that now only a country who owns Warsaw or Krakow can release "communist" poland as his puppet - and should he own the "extra" provinces then he will cede those to Poland too.

But Nazi Germany now will no longer be able to release "communist Poland" at the start of the scenario. Only after conquering Poland can they do so but that can´t be prevented as far as I know.

Code:
U15 = { #Communist Poland
	date = { day = 1 month = january year = 1936 }
	expirydate = { day = 1 month = january year = 1960 }
	minimum = {
			 643 638 #only warsaw and krakow
		   }
	extra = { 649 642 723 720 724 635 637 639 640 648 646 645 647 606 599 607 603 636 }
        ai = "core_POL_36.ai"
	capital = 643 #Warszawa
}

Gosh excellent CD and very well explained.

If you think it should be tweaked so, i shall do it.

It does strike me somewhat as just extra tweaking as it still it does not effect anything as it stands really ,unless a human player went mad and still the crazy player could release commie Poland as Germany when occuping Warsaw or Kracow or any number of other nations that can be released unhistorically ingame.

But having said that your tweak seems to me that it might make also the post war situation easier when we come to modding it?

Dr

I have no powers here but maybe Nikolai will notice.

But he was right about the new soviet minister pics bugs.(I have edited my post above confirming them)

Dr

Sorry, I won't split out posts from a 1700+ posts long thread. :eek:

(I could delete them, but as you note some of the posts were indeed about bugs)

If any wholly off-topic posts should appear (like this, had it not been a moderation post and as such always on topic ;)) then I can delete that too.

I suggest you start a new thread in the correct forum, and link to it from here, if you want to discuss CORE functions that are not bugs.

@ Zhukov I have answered your some of your leader questions in post 1726.I have also posted in the stony Soviet thread informing BM of the missing leader.
If you have any others not mentioned missing in your game please tell me which ones they are here or at stony.

Dr

Greetings Dr. Rare.

Sorry I was late to get back again. I have been quite busy. Checking the game again further revealed to me that these are the case with my HoI after applying the Soviet Leader+Minister+1936 fixes:

- Missing Foreign Minister photo Maxim Litvinov
- Foreign minister Vyacheslav Molotov was listed under Chief of the Army
replacement candidates before he was eligible as minister (1937?)
- Missing Army commander photos: Zaharkin Ivan Grigorievich, Lisitzyn,
Drugov, and Boris Shaposhnikov.
- Missing Navy commander photo: Admiral Drozd.
- I do not know whether it was made intentional, but the Aviation commanders section seems now to contain some commanders from Navy and Army commanders branches.

Oh, and thank you for trying to answer my questions even though It seemed that I asked them in the wrong section.

Last edited:
Greetings Dr. Rare.

Sorry I was late to get back again. I have been quite busy. Checking the game again further revealed to me that these are the case with my HoI after applying the Soviet Leader+Minister+1936 fixes:

- Missing Foreign Minister photo Maxim Litvinov
- Foreign minister Vyacheslav Molotov was listed under Chief of the Army
replacement candidates before he was eligible as minister (1937?)
- Missing Army commander photos: Zaharkin Ivan Grigorievich, Lisitzyn,
Drugov, and Boris Shaposhnikov.
- Missing Navy commander photo: Admiral Drozd.
- I do not know whether it was made intentional, but the Aviation commanders section seems now to contain some commanders from Navy and Army commanders branches.

Oh, and thank you for trying to answer my questions even though It seemed that I asked them in the wrong section.

Brilliant Reporting Thanks.

It is great to have feedback and it works?

I have found all the missing pics reported YAY!!!!

I will add them to the v.2 pack and make a v.3 pack then everything should be alright.:cool: I will update this later.

I think the Aviation commanders that are from navy and Army are intentional as BM might have added Navy and Army Aviators to the list.Same as Japan & USA have Navy & Army Aviators included as air leaders.?

If you are not a member already i suggest you join stony road site in fact i suggest this for any Hoi1 players/modders etc as it has the most active Hoi1 section across the forums .....
http://www.stonyroad.de/forum/index.php?referrerid=10005

Then you can post in the Soviet thread with any other problems issues and "Local" Insight that you may have which would be really cool....
http://www.stonyroad.de/forum/showthread.php?t=9145&page=5

Dr

Last edited:
Sphere events: Monroe Event bugged

In my current game as Germany the USA *declared war on England* because of the sphere events:

name = "5:00 September 16, 1939 : USA went with Declare war in Monroe Doctrine Violated."

In my alliance at that time where several american states (Mexico, Guatemala, Columbia, Bolivia, Argentina).

The Monroe doctrine event triggers because England was at war with some american state which in turn was a member of the Axis lead by Germany.

That should *not* happen.

Normally the Monroe doctrine events check that the american state that is "under attack" is NOT amember of the Axis and only then should the USA "monroe" the attacker.

So one (or more) of the Monroe doctrine events has a scripting error that fails to see that the state in question is allied to Germany. Question is which?
As there is a single Monroe event for every american state it could be any of these :(

Kennedy wins! :p

Wonderful (yet sad) bug :)

What has Kennedy to do with that? Rather FDR at that time.

I took a brief look through the sphere events and all events seem to have the same trigger that includes an OR condition that among other conditions they must not be allied to GER.
Something goes wrong there as one of them triggered anyway.

The events start with number 1514 but I can´t find any of those numbers in the "history" section of my current savegame? Any idea how I could find out which of the Monroe events triggered the declaration of War?

What has Kennedy to do with that? Rather FDR at that time.

FDR was Pro-UK, so for US to DoW UK he has clearly lost to someone.

Joseph Kennedy (sr) was US ambassador to UK, decidedly Pro-German and almost Anti-British in his behavior.