• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

tuore

Caramelised Utopian
76 Badges
Mar 16, 2009
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Lost Empire - Immortals
  • Magicka
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Deus Vult
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Island Bound
  • 200k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
Fort Survivor*
Belgium 1.3 AAR
1936 Scenario

Act I: The Imminent Situation (January 1st 1936)

We are aware that Germany most likely will crush us by the time they're finished with Poland. This AAR is about survival - if a minor nation can hold long enough until the enemy is beaten.

We only have three and half years time before the invasion. Therefore we start building forts right away.

forts.jpg

Fort locations marked in red.

We align towards Allies, then we turn over to intelligence.
Our spies will lower our neutrality, and all other nation's intelligence priority is set to 0 - except Netherlands'. All spies will be sent there to increase their threat, and to allow us to conquer those lands before the invasion.

This AAR is 'secondary', which means the update pace isn't enormously fast. Lots of strategical maps will be included.

*Can also be called "Hopeless defense".

Interesting strategy, will be following this. Oh, and btw how come you build forts at the capital and not at the border with luxemburg for instance?

I do it so that i can always retreat to my capital. Anyway, only 2 levels are built in the capital, other places get about 4-5. I'll add one to Luxemburg border.

A Belgium AAR, how nice. I will be following this. Played Belgium, invading The Netherlands, with the Beta-version. I succeeded gloriously but Germany never attacked. I guess 1.3 will take care of that last problem.

Are you building a stronger army as well, and what sort of troops do you focuss on, infantry and artillery?

A Belgium AAR, how nice. I will be following this. Played Belgium, invading The Netherlands, with the Beta-version. I succeeded gloriously but Germany never attacked. I guess 1.3 will take care of that last problem.

Are you building a stronger army as well, and what sort of troops do you focuss on, infantry and artillery?

I use the same brigade layout as i use in my other AAR (link in my sig), which is 3inf+1art. Works like charm. I also create juggernaut armies, where it's about 2 h.tank, 1 artillery and one engineer.

Hmm, i wonder if my neutrality gets low enough to DoW netherlands before germans...

Last edited:
Act II: Preparations (January 1936 - March 1938)

We started aligning towards allies right away. Hopefully we manage to join them quickly, and no other countries influence us.
The war between Italy and Ethiopia ended in May, resulting in a puppet.
September 1936 brought us the first fort in Eupen.
Whole year 1937 we just built, researched and aligned. Nothing special.
In the start of 1938, we realized that our neutrality is still way too high. When the Anschluss occurred, we managed to join the Allied forces:

belg.jpg

March 1938 we would be ready to invade Netherlands, but our neutrality is too high.

toohigh.jpg

So, unfortunately, we can't invade Netherlands. But Belgium will hold.

Last edited:
Not going to be easy.

War is never easy :p

How's your manpower situation as of the moment? Are you going to recall divisions from your colonies to get enough troops for a static defence or will you go for a more dynamic, reinforcive (new word :confused:) strategy?

War is never easy :p

How's your manpower situation as of the moment? Are you going to recall divisions from your colonies to get enough troops for a static defence or will you go for a more dynamic, reinforcive (new word :confused:) strategy?

1-2 divisions in the colonies is not really much worth getting. Most likely i must rely on French expeditionaries, and i can always retreat to France, as my surrender percentage is not high enough for surrender when i'm forced out of Europe.

Act III: Declaration of War (March 1938 - May 1939)

October 1938 Czechoslovakia is annexed. Germany's threat is rising.
During the last days of October, Yugoslavia and Portugal join the Axis. Also Netherlands join the allies. Sinkiang is accepted into the Comitern.
January 1939 Ireland joins the allied forces. Three days later Romania joins the Axis. Looking BAD so far. More members in the Axis means more expeditionary forces to Germany. Poland joined the allies because of the event.
3rd April we decide to mobilize. Only one month and the war starts.

1st May the war is declared. One week later Luxemburg fell.
allied.jpg

Situation in Europe as of May 17th.
Eupen has been fighting since the first days of the war. Although we put all of our troops there to defend, we lose.

As Netherlands is close to falling, we decide to put a defensive line, which MUST hold until French troops decide to aid us.

operations.jpg

We hope we will survive.

Ouch, very interesting to see for how long you can hold out.