• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Awesome -- now I have something to look forward to after reading the week's EU3:HTtT dev diary. :D

It's a shame that units won't advance a little in time. It'll be damn weird seeing American Civil War soldiers fighting in the trenches of France in 1918 (let alone 1932).

It seems like you could get away with having much less variety in the 'modern' uniform. Have everyone look all 19th century up to 1890 or so, and then have them switch to one a very few more generic 'modern' uniforms. Hell, you could just have two sprites: 'German' and 'Allies' that get assigned to everyone in the world when they hit the right time/tech level. Personally, I'd rather see France, the US, and Russia all using the same 'British WW1' sprites then having them run around in Union blue and other 19th century clothes.

But as the box-cover has indicated, Victoria2 (like all Paradox game) is about changing history. So why should France, Russia and the US get British WWI sprites if they are f.e. allied to Germany in 1910.

Are we going to have the option of counters? Although the sprites do look nice i would like be able to switch between the two...
Why? Counters are really only suitable to the HOI era, and as such they have only been used in the HOI series of games. Counters would just look out of place in Vicky 2.

I am sad to announce that Victoria 2 has been cancelled, however Crusader Kings 2 is out next week.

Glad you finally came to your senses. ;)

Ohhh nice, dev diaries :D

Paradox please take your time with this game, and dont pull off another HOI III, Victoria is STILL my favorite game of all time, dont mess it up

I have faith in you King

EDIT: BTW is OHGamer in any way part of the Victoria 2 team?

[mad] IT LIVES, YESSSSSSSSS IT LIVEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSS [/mad]

*ahem*

Great stuff. Although a "Why?" DD seemed to more to say "HEY WE ARE WORKING ON IT" than anything else, it is really appreciated.

Also, they *do* seem more detailed than HoI's. Slightly better textures, I presume?

I think those sprites are too "clean and fresh" for what has always been my idea of Victoria graphical style. Always had tons of carbon pulling out from chimneys and mud dirty soldiers in trenches.

Anyway, i love the way you post, King. Victoria has a place in my heart too. I don't think there has been a game that made me learn its mechanics and master its logics so much.

Good luck with your new game project.

Sincerely yours,

Last edited:
It's the final countdown (na na na na; na na na na na...)

Yes, this dev diary is just a big tease; yes, we hate you for that; yes, we love you for that. You are called Paradox afterall :p

The sprites look gorgeous, as expected. I must admit that it's unfortunate that they can't a) be in nice formations like the original to give them some weight; or b) change over time as you research new techs etc. But I still like them, and I think overall they're an improvement.

I can't remember a Paradox game that made me more curious about how it would turn out - Vicky1 having been such an enjoyably flawed enigma.
:cool:

Lippe-Detmold is not going to have a custom sprite. For all you Lippe-Detmold fans out there I know you are going to be upset but hopefully there will still be something in the game for you.
In my last game as Austria I reorganized Germany into several mid-sized satellites. Lippe-Detmold encompassed the Rheinland and flirted with a top 10 ranking for the rest of the game.