• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Heh. I miss that old show!

One of my favorites as a kid. Rewatched them, recently, on Netflix.

It'll be interesting to see how this goes.

Rensslaer

Righto, having just finished reading your last AAR, here we go again, cool :cool:

If I can give any advice, it's to balance your forces. Because much of Poland is plains, you won't have any kind of mountainous terrain where you can stop a large army with a relatively small number of soldiers. You'll have to keep your fronts well-balanced and be very keen to avoid implosion on your fronts. I had some tough battles around the Danzig army when a large army (100k+) that I had fighting in several provinces fell victim to a blitzkrieg. I ended up losing to the supplies and encirclement penalties. Definitely stopped my invasion plans there.

Try to focus your assault around the forests if at all possible, where you can hold the area easily and send troops to where they need to go.

Good luck!:D

Do what I did -- start over here... :) The title's too good to waste! :D

Rensslaer

Too bad you have to give up.

Not entirely clear to me, was this a vanilla December '41 scenario with some adds to the savegame or did you use a modded scenario?

I wil give the December 41 scenario a try as well to see if I encounter the same bugs. I also use the van Diemen map.

Did you try the june 41 scenario?

Hi yes - I started with the June 41 setup and hit the 'ethiopian' events immediately - even tried it starting as Germany and the UK.

Very strange because I have played the june '41 scenario a dozen times so far in every build (including press-beta) and never encountered anything like it.

thanks - in a way thats a huge relief, in that I've managed to do something stupid rather than it being inherent to the game coding. ... and it seemed hugely implausible that I was the only one with such a problem if it lies with the scenario code - all I need now is to work out what, hopefully without needing a clean download

If you do a clean reinstall then I'm sure I won't be the only person who'll want to see how you get on.

If you do a clean reinstall then I'm sure I won't be the only person who'll want to see how you get on.

thanks - I'm still fussing around to see whats triggered this - it happens no matter how I set the scenarios up (even opening as Ethiopia to see if I can work out from any pop-ups why its occured), and I can't see what is influencing the set up from the various country files. So I might wait till 1.3 lurches out of its lair, hopefully that'll clean up whatever I've done and then restart. If I can catch it, or find a way to tweak it out of the saved game files, I'll restart this. Its quite a fascinating scenario when you sit down and spend a bit of time on it. My only grumble is I think the Soviet OOB is pretty right except it grossly overstates the strength of the non-Siberian Soviet rifle divisions at this point.

It's a shame it's not currently working for you, but I'm heartened to hear you'll pick it up again in the future. Must. Have. Stalin. Fix. ;)

...26 to supplies (generating a very small surplus that Molotov has been expressely forbidden to try and sell)
Aah... Nothing like a quick insider joke. That was funny. :)

Okay, I'm off to your Turkey one!

I hope you figure out the issue and get it resolved, I enjoyed your other AAR and was looking forward to this one! The name is a good one ;)

Given where we are with 1.3 I will probably pick this up what that comes out - I don't know what I've done but I've obviously corrupted the scenario files and I just can't figure it out. But either the sheer desperation of the June 1941 start or the slow immenseness of the december scenario are very compelling. Agree the title is much too good to waste.

Van Diemen's map mod is one of a couple knocking around. I like it as they seem to have concentrated on sorting out the things that really matter, rather than obsess with the precise terrain somewhere deeply important to the individual but of no bearing to WW2. So Kiyev becomes a city and is on the Dniepr, the vanilla map has it as a swamp no where near the river. So both the September 1941 and the September 1943 campaigns suddenly make no sense. Especially the latter where a whole area of the Dniepr became effectively uncrossable due to the high west bank and the urban terrain in and around Kiyev. This forced the Soviet counterstroke to the north, and they were lucky to catch the Germans badly off balance.

Critically the Moscow-Smolensk 'land bridge' (ie with no major river crossings) is also in place - that obsessed the STAVKA till the Soviets retook Smolensk in late '43 as it offered the easiest route for a new assault on Moscow.

Excellent, I will make sure to check this out and start using it! Thanks.