• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Do your Condors have ASW capability? Those 5 French submarine squadrons pose a serious threat to bringing resources home. The screenshots for losing territory is showing Portugal gaining them.

There's a nice little Spanish held island that's nice and strategic atthe junctions of western and central Africa.. Now, if that has an airfield ... Taking Gibraltar might have an enormous impact on the war.

You'll need a carrier strike force and marines to take Ascension. pity really -Ascension's another territory that should be Portuguese at the start of the game. Not sure how high up on portugal's priority list one modern carrier fleet is?

Can't have those South Africans doing something useful.

Portuguese pirates rule the waves wherever there is no enemy fleet nearby and also plunder the enemy harbours and steal their resources. Piracy in the WW2. :cool:

Seems like your small navy are really doing a great work. I would have expected to see more Allied naval forces hunting you by now, and although that submarine battle was dangerous to your few ships, they are nothing compared to a real battle fleet. I would have thought that they would at least send some cruisers and maybe a battleship to destroy this small annoyance once and for all. But it is great news for your war-effort that they don’t as you sure have captured a lot of land. Nice work :)

You are doing an excellent job given the limited resources. I agree with Chief Ragusa, check out if there is anything left to scavenge from Republican Spain (Canary Islands, Equatorial Guinea)?

Great narrative chapter too, btw.

It seems that by 26 Sept you were getting dangerously low on supplies. I assume that you were carefully monitoring this and the situation was rectified. I am also impressed with your "luck" (read: 'skill' as I believe we all make our own "luck") with your tactics. You have created great interest for something that would only be a historical footnote (as compared to Germany's actions in Europe - btw, what's going on there?).

Good update, I'm interested to see what happens when you catch up to that French HQ.:)

Good show! At least geographically, you've made some impressive gains. I like your African strategy. As long as the Allies don't commit serious numbers, you should be able to stay ahead in the colonial war there. Losing your victory point province in Mozambique is a shame, but I expect that you've more than made up for that VP loss with your gains.

Very good, very good. Small scale picking of sweet little cherries, well done! :)
Exactly what I had in mind! Look for an expansion of these strategies, as we go...

I agree that the adoption of the "stick & move" tactic is the best for Portugal right now. However, it seems to me that your long term success can only come from Germany and Italy doing their level best to distract and weaken the Allies. If that "war" stagnates then the French and British can turn some of there attention toward you and brush you aside as if a pesky little fly. :rolleyes:
Oh, you're quite right. I'm invested. They must win, and to win I may have to help them, so...

I can see you're having an interesting game of your own though. Seems like you're making good progress early on, nibbling away at the peripheries. I'm interested to see how well the AI reacts to fighting in disparate theatres of operation.
Yeah, the AI still needs work, and doesn't react with all the best strategies. But then again, I'm weak enough that the AI wouldn't have to work at its very best to beat me. Even as it is, you'll see that I find it... Challenging. :)

I don't have the game nearby at the moment, but I have a question: does it make strategic sense to try to conquer Africa ? I seem to recall that it's modelled as a big (huge) area without any resource, industry, leadership, etc.

Wouldn't it be better to try to grab some land elsewhere ? (The East Indies move look good).

I'd welcome input from anyone, my question is not aimed exclusively at Rensslaer.
Actually, I counted and there are about 30 IC located in Africa, spaced out in 1-factory spots (Portugal starts with only 1 of these). Plus, there are some pretty respectable resource provinces, too. Africa has alot of value, especially considering how weakly defended these colonial provinces may be. We'll see just how "weakly" defended they are!

The greater number of coloinal defenders make your strategy harder toi execute and the reduced number of troops on home soil may speed their countries demise faster, which further reduces the number of gains you can make.

You're clearly going for IC. You're not running into the British, French or Dutch navies in the Pacific.ot sure , if you can gain IC raiding Australia or the Dutch East Indies.
Oh, the British, French and Dutch all have their navies out there. I run into them, here and there, as you'll see. As for the number of defenders... I haven't checked this for sure, but I'm reasonably sure the extra defenders in v1.2 are new units, not borrowed from mainland Europe. The reason I think so is they are Indian and other "colonials" and I don't think those were initially deployed in Europe. I think, rather, Paradox just decided the hinterlands were pretty scarcely defended, and set up more defenders in order to represent the colonial forces that were there, but may not have been organised properly to have been represented in v1.1. Just a guess, but I think that must be the way it is.

But more seriously, a small fleet (CLs maybe) with ASW teeth and some anti-surface capabilities would have been welcome in helping secure the coast...
Oh, don't I know it! Honestly, I maybe could have come up with quite a respectable navy if I'd started with that as my goal, and that might have helped me capture what I'm capturing. But I faced a tradeoff, and I decided that if I tried to build such a navy, I wouldn't really have the ground forces I'd need to be successful and be able to hold what I'd captured, and so... It'd be an interesting exercise to re-play the scenario with the opposite strategy!

Portuguese pirates rule the waves wherever there is no enemy fleet nearby and also plunder the enemy harbours and steal their resources. Piracy in the WW2. :cool:
Certainly not far from what I'm doing! There are benefits...

Seems like your small navy are really doing a great work. I would have expected to see more Allied naval forces hunting you by now, and although that submarine battle was dangerous to your few ships, they are nothing compared to a real battle fleet. I would have thought that they would at least send some cruisers and maybe a battleship to destroy this small annoyance once and for all. But it is great news for your war-effort that they don’t as you sure have captured a lot of land. Nice work :)
I agree. Early on, they should have sent more fleets. You'll see, I think, how this works out though. In the end, much of it makes sense. I'll let you see it as it develops, though, because I play my cards close to my vest! :D I always keep my readers guessing, as to whether I'm bluffing, or... ;)

I really love this piracy-jackal style approach to strategy, fascinating to see you picking up the 'easy' bits and then moulding it into a coherent empire.
Thanks! Glad you're enjoying it. I'm hoping this seems somewhat original, so I'm not boring you! Who else has tried similar strategies, I wonder? I've not read alot of the HOI 2 AARs. Is this new?

You are doing an excellent job given the limited resources. I agree with Chief Ragusa, check out if there is anything left to scavenge from Republican Spain (Canary Islands, Equatorial Guinea)?

Great narrative chapter too, btw.
Thank you very much! No, there's nothing left of Republican Spain. Once the civil war is over, it's over, and everything reverts to the victor.

It seems that by 26 Sept you were getting dangerously low on supplies. I assume that you were carefully monitoring this and the situation was rectified. I am also impressed with your "luck" (read: 'skill' as I believe we all make our own "luck") with your tactics. You have created great interest for something that would only be a historical footnote (as compared to Germany's actions in Europe - btw, what's going on there?).
Thanks! Yes, I let my supplies run down out of necessity, but caught up (in the next update). I think I also show you the European situation in the next update.... Can't remember exactly. I've begun to "stage" about 3-4 updates in advance, all in a row. I've played quite a ways ahead, now, and I'm trying to catch up in the AAR updates, while still setting aside some scheduled time to write fiction scenes for illustration purposes.

Good update, I'm interested to see what happens when you catch up to that French HQ.:)
Actually, as I recall, that becomes an interesting sidelight...

Good show! At least geographically, you've made some impressive gains. I like your African strategy. As long as the Allies don't commit serious numbers, you should be able to stay ahead in the colonial war there. Losing your victory point province in Mozambique is a shame, but I expect that you've more than made up for that VP loss with your gains.
Thanks! Yes, the Allies have their hands full, at first. I think they're still somewhat stunned by what Germany is doing, and aren't ready to start paying attention to "alternate" theatres, to the degree that maybe they should, or should have.

Okay... Another update is almost ready, but it's not here yet. I'll hope to post it within 24 hours (I expect I will -- just a matter of sooner or later).

Thanks again for reading, Dear Sirs! And especially for taking the time to comment! I appreciate it.

Rensslaer

By late September, the invasion of France had been underway for about a month. Early on, it had seemed like the Germans had succeeded in sweeping across the Lowlands and into France… and would presumably continue their swing all the way through Paris!

GermFranceSep39.jpg

Instead, the German sweep continued to round about its pivot at neutral Luxembourg, and continued to press against the northern end of the Maginot Line… But Paris, like a boulder on a shoreline, had broken their line of advance. German divisions seemed to lap against its sides, but could not dislodge the defenders at Paris.

This was only slightly disheartening to Germany’s Portuguese allies. It was, surely, a temporary setback. Besides, Mussolini’s Italian troops were now beginning to surge west through the Alps into southern France. There still seemed no way that this ancient country could avoid yet another drubbing – their third, in 70 years – by their able and confident German neighbors.

ItalyFranceSep39.jpg

In China, the Japanese had beaten back a hopeful-looking Communist offensive, and had now driven south to capture Peping and Jinan, and a comfortable margin of territory around both. The Japanese, finally, seemed to be making progress. Again, whether that was a good or bad thing for Portugal and the Axis, on the long term, was a matter of some question.

JapanChinaSep39.jpg

Having captured Kuching was a major victory for Portugal. It was more a potential coup, as the resources which this port normally disgorged were still in the hands of the British. But, at the very least, it denied the British a nearby port from which to ship these same resources to themselves. There were rumors of a route through the jungles of Borneo to the southern Dutch port of Balikpapan, where shipping might still reach the British, but this was not too much believed as a practical possibility. Most observers agreed that no resources were leaving the British colony for Europe – not checkmate, but a decisive check, indeed.

27SepKuching.jpg

But the British colonial forces on the island were also determined to re-open the port. On 27 September, they attacked in not insubstantial force. They certainly outnumbered the Portuguese infantry by half again, and they were also better trained and equipped. Immediately, though no Portuguese units broke, the end result was in doubt.

27SepLagos.jpg

In Africa, the momentum still remained decidedly in Portugal’s favor. The South Africans were responding slowly against Portugal’s two neighboring colonies, and in west Africa, and in the Bight of Africa, Portuguese army units roamed here and there, and were planted by the conniving strategies of their transport captains. A garrison division was landed at Lagos, Nigeria, which had been defended earlier in the war, but whose guarding infantry division had moved west to protect against other invasions, and which was now returning slowly to Nigeria through the jungles of Dahomey.

When the Portuguese landed, they displaced the Royal Air Force bomber squadrons from their airfields. They fled to Accra, which remains the last naval base and airfield the British still have along this southern coast. They also cut off the British infantry from nearby supply, meaning that they would have to set up convoys of trucks (or more likely, camels!) to travel overland from either Freetown in the west, or from Algiers or Alexandria in the far north.

27SepAllAfrica.jpg

Indeed, in those tropical zones where October did not mean “winter,” that month dawned with the Portuguese still controlling most of their southern colonies at Mozambique and Angola, but also Cabinda, much of French Cameroun, most of the Ivory/Gold/Slave Coast of Africa, and much of French and British West Africa. This was a stunning defeat to the largest European colonial powers, and there seemed no plan to stop the Portuguese! The Royal Navy and French Navy were not greatly apparent in their activity in the region – they were there, but their use was ineffective and sporadic.

Portugal had rocked Europe back on its heels, the same as Germany and Italy were doing in the French homeland itself. The world was greatly impressed by the Axis juggernaut.

28SepYawriBay.jpg

And we were in process of proving ourselves impressive once more – making a counterlanding behind British lines in Sierra Leone – when we were reminded just how puny and mortal we still were! Those five subrons of French submarines were stalking us again! Near disaster was averted. The destroyers were able to keep the subs away from some of the transports. Others were lost, yet more scattered, and the destroyers suffered heavily for their bravery. This fleet would need to hide and recover at Conakry. But, with some doing, they did actually get their soldiers ashore.

28SepHaiphong.jpg

Everything Portugal is doing in this war is risky. We’re taking chances every day, courting disaster, but in most cases pulling away a victory. Again, in Indochina, we’re flying by the seat of our pants. We’ve pulled our infantry division out of Saigon, and given up chasing the French HQ – we could defeat them, but there are more important things to be done. We captured enough territory to form an “alarm” of sorts if the French tried to retake Saigon again. And we’ve gone to Haiphong, in the north. It’s the only other port which could supply the French military in Indochina, so we’re hoping to have them isolated and unable to fight before very long. A secondary, but very important, task, is to reach out and capture that resource-rich province at Hanoi.

Once landed at Pujehun, in Sierra Leone, our garrison begins pressuring the rear flank of the British division at Freetown.

29SepSierraLeone.jpg

This has the anticipated result – the British gave up the fight, and began hunkering down in the town, assuming defensive positions. Now, they’re flanked on two sides, and we have an HQ brigade moving in which we intend to use to surround Freetown and link our garrison with supply lines. Our tactical bombers continue to rain bombs down upon these troops.

In Ghana, the British have moved forward (they’re pretty mobile – the infrastructure isn’t bad in this area, and they have a brigade of motorised infantry) to retake Kumasi, but we’ve been ready for this. We land behind them, and seize the port and airbase at Accra. Now, Freetown is pretty much it, for British bases in this whole region of Africa! Between Gibraltar and South Africa, there is not a single British airbase or naval base on the continent itself. They do have the islands of Ascension and St. Helena, but they do not have airbases. Plus, they’re really just coaling stations with little military use. They’ll work in a pinch, but…

29SepSaigonAccra.jpg

But, uh… The French are getting closer to Saigon, again. Drat…

I'm impressed. That list of conquests in Africa shows just how successful your strategy has been so far. And the stalemate in France must surely work in your favor: with German armies lurking around Paris, the French are unlikely to send heavy forces to Africa, which means you have more time to grab yourself an empire before the Free French show up in Cameroon (I wonder if they would still show up there, if you first conquer the area?).

We can hope that the British will throw some ill-conceived expeditionary forces onto the Continent to aid France, but that's probably hoping for too much goodness. :)

Do the French and British colonies in Africa contain significant resources or is the war there about base control, or both?

Not a lurker, just a latecomer. I must say how impressed I am with the Portuguese performance. Though sad to see them in the axis after so many years as Britain's friends! This aar has really rammed home the important difference mobility for gar divs has been in HOI3 vs HOI2. Even with very slow mv rates, just being able to use them offensively at all is adically different. Thanks for a great effort.

Good work all around. Soon you will have all of the ports!

I am curious to see what happens when France folds. Will the colonies revert to Free French control? Will Vietnam be given to Japan and, if so, will Portugal lose its provinces? Does the new version make a difference? I know you have played ahead and I imagine these questions (and many others) will be answered in upcoming posts.

You are certainly providing a hell of a distraction! The Allies definitely seem to be having a hard time dealing with your marauding formations. Keep it up! :D