Why isn't Zeeland like Venice? Blockable by a navy? Making HT, why not change that?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Niptium

Field Marshal
47 Badges
Oct 5, 2001
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Pride of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Deus Vult
  • East India Company
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
I was wondering about this. Even more than Venice, in IN, if there was a province that should be blockable by a navy is Zeeland. The whole province at the mouth of so much European rivers (Scheldt, Rhine, Maas, etc) is made up of islands.

Here is a map drawn in 1580 of the province : http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fichier:1580_Zelandicarum_v_Deventer.jpg

It's essentially a buch of islands. Even the capital is on the most populated and the western most of these island. When the French invaded in 1672, they were stoped at Utrecht because the Dutch broke down the dams to flood the country, even making Holland an island. But let's get back to 1672. When the French held Utrecht, Groningen, Gelderland, Friesland and the Generaliteit land (Breda in EU3), they couldn't go further. Both the English and the French then tried to breakdown the Dutch navy but because de Ruyter was very cautious and very intelligent, they couldn't. The Dutch then conducted war from both Zeeland and Inundated-Holland.

Going further in time. During the French invasion of the United Provinces in 1795, the French again conquered the inland province up to Holland. They didn't take Zeeland as they couldn't get naval supremacy. Zeeland finally negociated and capitulated on their own term diplomatically to France.

Making Zeeland a province that you can block the paths to the bordering provinces with naval supremacy would reflect the true geographical nature of the province. It would also insure a safekeeping retreat for the Dutch player with naval supremacy in the neighbooring water province to any bigass French or German army.

During World War II, the Queen even sought to retreat to Zeeland (as it was made up of island) to keep on fighting the advancing Germans. But she was advised by the English, she would be better off in England.

I'm begging Paradox's expansion team to consider this.

Last edited:
Yes, Zeeland should be like Venice. In HoI3, Anglo-norman islands are like that, so why not Zeeland in EU3? And Japan are in same situation.

Furthermore, that would be a great idea to slow down France, if without proper navy, they could invade United-Province just by Utrecht province.

That's occurred to me as well. The Netherlands is supposed to be a major player in this period but in any continental war in Europe they tend to be overwhelmed and have to concede territory. Making Zeeland into an island province doesn't look like it would make much of a difference though and adding Holland and Friesland as islands would be difficult to explain in real terms. The Netherlands definitely need some sort of help though to make them tougher opposition in wars.

Incidentally, in 1672 the French and their German allies didn't even manage to occupy Friesland and Groningen but were beaten back from there.

That's occurred to me as well. The Netherlands is supposed to be a major player in this period but in any continental war in Europe they tend to be overwhelmed and have to concede territory. Making Zeeland into an island province doesn't look like it would make much of a difference though and adding Holland and Friesland as islands would be difficult to explain in real terms. The Netherlands definitely need some sort of help though to make them tougher opposition in wars.

Incidentally, in 1672 the French and their German allies didn't even manage to occupy Friesland and Groningen but were beaten back from there.

Yes, but I think making Zeeland an insular province like Venice would help out a human AI, for example in a MP game. That's a first step. Then, the Holland problem with the dams is something else entirely. Holland isn't a proper island to speak, but Zeeland is. Its unrealistic that any army could march over on Zeeland if the Dutch have naval control of the neighboring sea.

Yes, just considering Zeeland on it's own it's reasonable that it should be represented as an island even though part of it's territory was on the mainland. I was hoping though that this idea could be applied to the problem of how to make the Dutch Republic more robust in big wars particularly considering how well it did in wars in the period 1568-1714.

I think we are in agreement then !

I agree, this sounds appropriate and useful to me.

I agree, this sounds appropriate and useful to me.

This is exactly what I'm saying. Little investment in time for Paradox and it makes the Dutch player much more secure and ready to invest in naval. Useful is the word.

Well, not really. A lot of Communist ideologies are Atheistic (Marxism, Leninism), but that doesn't mean all of them are. Christian Communism is gaining a lot of support, and that is religiously based.

And on Zeeland - I am totally for this idea. It might require a bit of re-working around the Dutch provinces, but I think it'll be worth it. It might even slow down the blobs dominating the Low Countries so soon.