• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
GOA WAS GIVEN BACK! GOA WAS GIVEN BACK! :cool:
Whatwhat? :)

I've actually made an executive decision that I cannot defend Goa, and therefore it will not be defended. Too bad. Too many other important places to guard.

Oh well. We'll make a big deal about taking it back when we get a chance... Maybe. ;)

Rensslaer

Starting off my new game in v1.2, I’m going to keep most things as they were in my v1.1c game. I’ll start off using Peekee’s recommended method to get spies up quickly, which means neutrality down ASAP, which means the economy in gear ASAP. Two whole points to espionage at first, with only 2/3 of a point toward research. That will change as soon as my spies are up to speed, which should take just a few short months.

LtCruis.jpg

My preferred techs are going to be Industrial Production – getting my economy in gear. Education – increasing my leadership points and research ability. Supply production, which is obvious – I’m going to rely heavily upon supply production for my own purposes and to sell to other countries. The light cruiser tech allows me to build coastal forts, and construction engineering allows me to build IC.

I skipped Coal processing and Coal to Oil because I want to dwell upon them a moment. In my earlier game, I realized just how much of Portugal’s economy (and most countries, I’d think) is dependent on Coal/Energy. I’m drawing heavily from it for IC purposes (4 times as much as for rares, twice as much as for metal). But also I’m drawing from it for Coal-to-Oil conversion, which really saps my supply quickly. Yes, it’s cheap to buy. But my overseas supply routes are insufficient to bring everything I need reliably during wartime, so I want to reduce my consumption as much as possible.

NewBuilds.jpg

I’m under-funding reinforcements, simply because there’s no real hurry to get there. I want to finish this round of reinforcement before I mobilize more and have to further reinforce my garrisons. I’m overproducing supplies for trade purposes. For some reason no one wants them in the early stage of the game. That’s okay – I need them for my own purposes too. Later I’ll switch supply funding into CG production to support my money supply until I’m ready to try trading supplies again. Not a lot of production IC yet. Soon.

Note also my build queue. Convoy ships are high on my list – higher than last time. The reason for this will become obvious, I’m sure, once the war begins. Freighters for convoys are of the utmost importance for a maritime empire, especially one which has insufficient supplies of resources at home.

I’m still using garrisons. Lots of them (MORE of them, believe it or not, than last time – you’ll see 9 garrison divisions of 2 brigades each in the queue). Oops – I accidentally forgot to make those reserve divisions. I’m fixing that as we speak. I’ll just delete those that haven’t begun production and replace them with new-construction reserve garrisons, which cost only 1/3 as much IC at a time. Transport ships (troop carriers) and submarines are still there. The cavalry is there, still. But last time I built one 4-brigade cavalry division, which was dumb. By the time I finally produced the whole division, war had begun and I didn’t have it in position. Since my intent was to split them into two divisions anyway, it would have been better if I’d just built two divisions separately – then one would have been deployed and in position before the other one was ready.

ResourceRom.jpg

To improve my resource situation, I begin trading with Romania. Last time I used the USA, and quickly realized I was running out of convoy transports even during peacetime! I’ll mitigate that a little by starting off building more convoy transports at the same time as I trade with Europe in the early game. I’ll trade with the USA for other things later – always a very good, and highly recommended trading partner, who never has a shortage of anything.

Arrival.jpg

In my last game, you may remember I put troops along the border with Spain. That was mostly for “roleplaying” purposes, because I have no way of getting involved in the SCW anyway. What’s more, I realized that by doing that I slowed my process of placing defenders in my colonies, which was unwise of me. This time, I’ll place two infantry brigades in Lisbon for defense, and as you see I’m sending the other two brigades from that split division into Macao. Remember I have a 3-brigade division in far northern Portugal guarding my resources province there. If Lisbon comes under attack, this will be my strategic reserve (that’s right – a 3-brigade strategic reserve! – we’re definitely working on a smaller scale than the majors here!).

Apr36Prod.jpg

By April, my early production runs are complete, and I’m concentrating on getting garrisons produced. I’ll swap that spot out as we complete new divisions. The “overflow” or “excess IC” will go toward a “major-ticket” item which I can’t fully fund yet – bet you’ve never thought of a troop transport as a big-ticket item!). Notice I’ve switched supply-production IC into CG now, to keep from depleting my money supply (since no one is buying my supplies yet), and reinforcement IC has been switched mostly into production now. This screenshot does not yet reflect my replacement of the expensive “regular army” garrisons with cheaper reserve garrisons.

Apr36Intel2.jpg

Also by April, you’ll notice my internal spies are already up to 8, and will soon be at 10. Just barely beginning to see the impact upon my neutrality (down only 2 points since January), but that will steamroll once all 10 spies are in place. Then I’ll switch my leadership points away from espionage into leadership and start moving on those research projects.

One of my minor targets for spies is Belgium, and since I plan on zeroing out my spy funding once I’ve got my internal needs taken care of, those few “extra” spies are going into Belgium, France, England, etc. early while I still have funding for them. These are some of my neighbors who I might want to attack independently (not likely – just in case). South Africa is actually on that list, though you don’t see it because my attempts to get spies in there haven’t been as successful yet (this was sorted by number present, not by priority). Having a little freedom to impact Belgium’s threat level may be a useful lever later if I don’t end up at war with them when World War II kicks off – there are two reasons I might find that useful, which I’ll explain when and if it becomes an issue.

Rhineland3.jpg

And, yes. In mid-April, I start to see the onset of war in Europe, and take steps to align myself. I don’t have to be “urgent” in my moves toward the Axis. I’m already largely on my way, and it won’t take a whole lot to become a member before war starts.

The plot thickens!

Thanks for your update. I welcome your clear commentary. Please feel free to go into as much detail as you can about the decisions you make and why you make them. Reading your AAR is a good learning experience. :D

3.23 Leadership! And I thought 15 was bad!:eek: I think you're absolutely right to go with spies early on. Get up to 10 domestically as quick as possible to get the maximum effect, then you can shift spending elsewhere.

Your strategy guides are an excellent read and this AAR puts it all into moving perspective. I'm having to change my thought processes from HoI1 style of play to this new and improved HoI3 style. I like it!

Waiting for next update - looks like the differences are negligible at this point between now and your past AAR.

I love it! :D

Mmm...Belgian Congo then South Africa? Using garrisons as port denial?
Excellently reasoned in anycase.
Subscribed.:)

Whatwhat? :)

I've actually made an executive decision that I cannot defend Goa, and therefore it will not be defended. Too bad. Too many other important places to guard.

Oh well. We'll make a big deal about taking it back when we get a chance... Maybe. ;)

Rensslaer
Oh, just a trowback to this memorable thread and the years of low-level campaigning that followed. Including this flaming disaster yesterday. :D :eek:o

Anyway, I see you're following the smart strategy of Governor Vassalo e Silva, aka "Vassila e Salva". The President of the Council would be mighty unhappy to hear about this. :nod:

And the Imperio Novo is styled like Estado Novo, which was what this government was called historically.

Hehe, I was just copying what some other dude was saying. I know no Portugese... Hungarian, Yes. Portugese, No.:D

I can already tell you are playing smarter this time around, good for you!:)

Looking good. Which colonies do you think are worth defending and which are not?

The restart with the new patch sure looks a little more focused and I see you are taking advantage of some lessons learnt with the last patch. While I dislike garrisons I can understand why you are using and building them, and with Portugal’s resource situation I actually think it is a smart plan to use garrisons. Shall be interesting to see what colonies you think important enough to defend and where you will just let the Allies march in unopposed…

*Looks at paper chart of expected timeframe*
Let's see here....Hmmmm....it says here by 1937 you should be invading East coast of the US after destroying San Deigo with a nuclear weapon
*checks status of AAR*
*Frowns*
It seems you have some catching up to do

:D
Good luck to you!

Goa must be defended!
If not, then it must be sold!
But this freaking game does not allow selling provinces. :mad:

GOA WILL NEVER BE SOLD! IT WILL BE DEFENDED UNTIL THE LAST DROPLET OF PEASENT BLOOD! (Shameless copy from some EU3 pictures in the Strange Screenies thread)

Historically though, after the Portuguese Civil War of 1828/1834, the Liberals who won it were heavily endebted to the British. Those sneaky bastards who proposed to exchange Goa for the termination of the debts. Obviously such an outrageous proposal was immediatly declined! :p

Quite a balancing act you're forced to play with your limited resources. Fortunately the way HOI3 handles occupied/conquered territories means that you can increase your production base reasonably well. Provided you can conquer some worthwhile land that is.;)
I think you'll enjoy what I have in store... If I can pull it off!

Heh, Portugal looks like it'll be fighting a very interesting set of wars--colonial wars, but not against natives but European armies. May want to study up on the campaigns of Paul Emil von Lettow-Vorbeck in preparation. :D
You're exactly right! It'll be very interesting -- very different from most HOI 3 games. I'm planning to follow von Lettow-Vorbeck's strategies some, to be sure.

It's almost painful to watch how you have to dole out your preciously few resources. The more you emphasize the small industrial and resource base you have, the more I wonder what exactly you'll be able to achieve in a war, particularly in a war against the Allies. It should be interesting to find out.
As I play through 1936 in v1.2 this is becoming even more apparent. In some ways I feel like it's going better, and in other ways I feel more constrained. It's like there's something subconscious pushing back against me that I didn't experience in the first game. I can't put my finger on it. But I already sense this is going to be a harder game than before.

The Spanish Civil War is turning out a very short affair in this game...

Conquering Brazil would provide the resources and manpower to do a world conquest. Build up Ascension Island as a port and airbase. Historically,the Portuguese army was small. Going for marine, mountain and airborne would fit in. Transports dropping paratroopers would be interesting. Elite Portuguese armed forces.

South Africa is not part of the Allies at the start of 1936 in HoI 3. That provides a window of opportunity to grab Namibia(administered by South Africa) and South Africa. Raising the threat level of Namibia would kep South Africa from building up their mlitary. The Belgian Congo would provide all sorts of resources, though Belgium may be guaranteed by Britain an have to wait for war with the axis to take.

Timor would make a good jump off point to secure the the Dutch East Indies and Dutch Guyana would provide a springboard for an attack om Brazil.

It's probably too mcuh to hope for to have a run at the clique running the Chinese territory nearest Macao.

Wonder if Portugal will have a desire for Siamese cats?

You're doing a nice showcase of the game, Rensslaer.
Well, paratroops and anything "elite" is out of reach for Portugal for now. Too little leadership to do the research. I could do a license purchase... But that's not my strategy right now. Maybe later.

Honestly, I think Brazil could crush me right now! :D Their manpower base is far beyond mine, and their economy is probably pretty strong too. I've got too much to worry about already without taking on new problems!

South Africa may be possible, and the Belgian Congo -- I'm allowing more for those possibilities in this game. I've also experimented with manipulating the Guangxi and I don't think that's a potential in this game. We'll see.

Quite a busy little nation you have there.
I've quite been thinking so! :)

Seems like you are building up a nice set of trade deals all around the world, but you are going to need that if you are ever going to be able to build some real forces… Also if the Nationalists continue doing this well, maybe you should see if you can attack the Republicans and grab some provinces before they are completely defeated. Or is your level of neutrality still too high to do anything?

A very interesting AAR. I have never taken a look at Portugal, other than as a target while playing a major power. :D It truly is indefensible against a Britain, France, or Germany and thus I'm feeling the pressures you must be facing in preparing for future war. Looking forward to the next update.

BTW, excellent strategy guides. :D
Thanks! I really appreciate that! Actually, I hope to prove that Portugal is defensible. This is one reason why it's not always a good idea, though, for Portugal to bring Spain into the war. While Spain is neutral, Portugal is alot more defensible.

Well, you wouldn't want an easy ride, would you? :D
Never! :)

great! looking forward to it!
Great to hear!

this is great stuff - think you're right to go to 1.2 - its so much faster and seems to have ironed out the worst failings in terms of diplomacy etc.

I've just been muttering in my USSR aar about the difficulties of being expected to cope with 'just' 17 leadership points - I should have your problems.
:D Yes, I know the pain of running the USSR on low leadership -- a fascinating country to play -- but Portugal is far more frustrating! Welcome, Loki! Great to have you along!

Playing a minor power can truly teach one the mechanics of any game as mistakes (and victories) are magnified and brought into greater relief. Anything you've learned thus far that would cause you to change the Guide?

Looking forward to your take on the differences in the new version (as compared to v1.1c).
You're completely right -- a wealth of resources can cover a multitude of sins! Without that...

Changes to the Guide? Hmm... I've discovered one thing -- in fact someone from the Forum discovered it, and brought it to my attention -- but rather than detail that here, I'll show you in practice. I'll take note of differences between patches, too. Off the top of my head I don't know that I can say there's anything I'd seriously change my recommendation on. I'm always open to suggestions, though! :D

The plot thickens!

Thanks for your update. I welcome your clear commentary. Please feel free to go into as much detail as you can about the decisions you make and why you make them. Reading your AAR is a good learning experience. :D
Thanks, Vitalix, and Welcome! It is my habit to go into detail, so I'm glad there's at least a few people who don't mind! :rolleyes:

3.23 Leadership! And I thought 15 was bad!:eek: I think you're absolutely right to go with spies early on. Get up to 10 domestically as quick as possible to get the maximum effect, then you can shift spending elsewhere.
Course, Peekee's Guide recommends putting leadership toward spies for a short time -- long enough to get up to 10 spies internally. That process takes longer for a small country.

Is it just me, or did the research times increase in this patch? I guess I may remember that being in the patchnotes, but I don't remember specifics. Not a bad change, all in all, but it's making Portugal even MORE frustrating! ;)

Your strategy guides are an excellent read and this AAR puts it all into moving perspective. I'm having to change my thought processes from HoI1 style of play to this new and improved HoI3 style. I like it!

Waiting for next update - looks like the differences are negligible at this point between now and your past AAR.
Thanks again, Jorath -- yes it's pretty similar right now. More a shift of emphasis, rather than a change in strategy. Glad you're enjoying the game!

I love it! :D
Thanks! Welcome, MastahCheef!

Mmm...Belgian Congo then South Africa? Using garrisons as port denial?
Excellently reasoned in anycase.
Subscribed.
Welcome, DropBear! Glad to have you along. No promises on the Congo. We'll have to see. But, yes -- the garrisons will serve as port denial forces (plus objectives) while my stronger units do the heavy lifting.

Oh, just a trowback to this memorable thread and the years of low-level campaigning that followed. Including this flaming disaster yesterday.
:D Funny. "Who are the Portuguese, again?" Yes, I imagine long debates have gone on about this.

Hehe, I was just copying what some other dude was saying. I know no Portugese... Hungarian, Yes. Portugese, No.

I can already tell you are playing smarter this time around, good for you!
Heh. Hard to tell facetousness on the internet. Thanks -- sure hope I'm playing smarter!

I just lub small countries
Welcome, Juan de Marco! Yes, small (well, medium anyway) size countries are a blast! Very fun.

Goa must be defended!
If not, then it must be sold!
But this freaking game does not allow selling provinces.
Yes, but then again I don't remember any provinces being sold in the '30s or '40s historically either.

Looking good. Which colonies do you think are worth defending and which are not?
Well, as I mentioned before, I don't think I can defend Goa, and though I think the island is potentially useful, I don't forsee any way for me to defend Timor either. If I've garrisoned everything else, plus added offensive forces according to plan, and I still have time to produce more defenders, then maybe Timor will get some attention. Everything else, I really would like to hold. The smaller islands, like Madeira and Sao Tome will be nice bases, but I'm not going to cry if I lose them.

Good, more focused start. Nice to be able to compare the two starts. Good luck, looking forward to seeing your 'strategic reserve' in action.
Thanks! Should be some interesting stuff ahead, soon.

The restart with the new patch sure looks a little more focused and I see you are taking advantage of some lessons learnt with the last patch. While I dislike garrisons I can understand why you are using and building them, and with Portugal’s resource situation I actually think it is a smart plan to use garrisons. Shall be interesting to see what colonies you think important enough to defend and where you will just let the Allies march in unopposed…
I'm hoping to keep the Allies so unbalanced they don't walk ANYWHERE unopposed! But that remains to be seen, whether I can do it.

*Looks at paper chart of expected timeframe*
Let's see here....Hmmmm....it says here by 1937 you should be invading East coast of the US after destroying San Deigo with a nuclear weapon
*checks status of AAR*
*Frowns*
It seems you have some catching up to do

Good luck to you!
Thanks! Welcome, Exterous!

GOA WILL NEVER BE SOLD! IT WILL BE DEFENDED UNTIL THE LAST DROPLET OF PEASENT BLOOD! (Shameless copy from some EU3 pictures in the Strange Screenies thread)

Historically though, after the Portuguese Civil War of 1828/1834, the Liberals who won it were heavily endebted to the British. Those sneaky bastards who proposed to exchange Goa for the termination of the debts. Obviously such an outrageous proposal was immediatly declined!
The British have done alot of that, it seems. I'm not happy about losing Goa, but I don't see any way to stop it right now. Otherwise Goa would become the focus of all my defenses!

I'll try to get an update up today/tomorrow. Sometime soon. Lots going on! Should be fun to report on... Things are not going quite as I expected, compared to the last game. But that will be interesting, in itself!

Thanks again, to everybody who's reading, and especially to those who are commenting! Any lurkers care to say hello?

Rensslaer

from a lurker

Hi!

this is a fascinating AAR, added to your strategy guides & it gives a real insight into how to play HOI3 - esp as a minor. Its enough to inspire me with the idea that my next game will be with someone pretty marginal and then push it as far as possible.