• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(8915)

User #8915
Apr 26, 2002
hi guys, im a big fan of the oft forgotten conflict of central europe and am vainly looking for a good simulation of the conflagration on a computer since a long time ago. will this be there in FTG? and if so, in what form? thanks!

PS: if any of you know of a good pc game about 30YW besides EU feel free to point me in the right direction. cheers

hi guys, im a big fan of the oft forgotten conflict of central europe and am vainly looking for a good simulation of the conflagration on a computer since a long time ago. will this be there in FTG? and if so, in what form? thanks!

PS: if any of you know of a good pc game about 30YW besides EU feel free to point me in the right direction. cheers

Forgotten? We haven't forgotten it around here, but it's actually part of the national mythology. :D

There's many board games about the topic, but unfortunately it is topic which is seen rarely on computer. All EU games have it as campaign starting point, but EU1 is only one where it is as a shorter battle scenario with unique victory conditions.

shame my eu1 instal wont run on vista64:(

Well, in Poland I've met an opinion that it was a marginal conflict between some religious fanatics of Western Europe ;) Still, the best thing as for me is that the Poles have almost for sure saved the catholics - by sending a diversion to Transylvania, thus forcing Gabor Bethlen to lift the siege of Vienna and allow the Habsburgs to regain the initiative.

@ Dragula -> Why? You've brought possibly the greatest pre-napolean military genius into battle and ultimately ended up on the winning side. Much better than the Poles, who officialy were neutral, but thanks to our imbecile king Zygmunt III Vasa got invloved anyway (the mentioned diversion to Transylvania infuriated the sultane and sparked a Polish-Ottoman war)...

Back to the topic - I guess the problem is that the 30 Years War takes place in the middle of EU period, which makes creating triggers quite difficult... I never remember any conflict resembling the 30 Years War happening in my EU2 and AGCEEP games. The religious wars were always rather peaceful, with one side (since the catholics are supported by HAB, FRA and SPA, it's not so hard to guess which one) quickly gaining hegemony...

Apart from the world wars I find the 30 years war to be one of the most "popular" conflict in the history of europe.
The peace of westphalia still counts as the single most important event in the history of international politics in all course books on the subject I've seen (as it basically is the start of international politics as we know it) ;) So it's hardly forgotten.

I find that what the engine lacks (it does a lot of stuff very well if one wants to simulate the thirty years war actually) is the economic forces behind the war, as well as the AI being willing to go on fighting long enough (but this is tied into what I said above).

Apart from the world wars I find the 30 years war to be one of the most "popular" conflict in the history of europe.
The peace of westphalia still counts as the single most important event in the history of international politics in all course books on the subject I've seen (as it basically is the start of international politics as we know it) ;) So it's hardly forgotten.

I find that what the engine lacks (it does a lot of stuff very well if one wants to simulate the thirty years war actually) is the economic forces behind the war, as well as the AI being willing to go on fighting long enough (but this is tied into what I said above).

especially if you have the offshoots of the 30 years war which appeared at the same time

julich- Cleves succession
Grisons war
Danish war
swedish - polish war
mantuan succession
Smolensk war
franco- swedish conflict
etc etc

Read a small but very good book
The Thirty Years War by S.H Steinberg