• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Uriah

"The Verbose"
56 Badges
Dec 22, 2007
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Iron Cross
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Europa Universalis IV
This may not be a popular opinion around here (there seem to be lot of "glass half-full people on this forum), but I am in the same state of anticipation before the release of patch 1.2 as I was before the release of the game.

Like most people, I had weeks of waiting, crossing off days on the calendar, arranging to have my computer video card upgraded, building up brownie points with my wife etc etc. (Well, maybe most people are more sensible).

Then the exquisite pain of the 10kb/sec download (I think it took me more than 12 hours - most of which I was in front of the screen, occasionally tapping the "Yes" key to reconnect).

At last I could play. And initailly it was all I expected (or was this the first flush of love?) I started game after game, learning the new requirements, making all the noob errors. Then started my first "real" game, and found that the path of true love never runs smooth.

Bugs started to appear, weird diplomatic outcomes, stranger military decisions. I continued, fixed or worked around the most annoying bugs, decided to accept the diplomacy etc.

In the end however, it got too much. The fun had gone out of the relationship. Reluctantly, a week ago I left HOI3 and returned to a prior love (CORE). But always there was the expectation of reunion - the HOI3 icon on my desktop remained. If a few niggling peronal issues could be addressed, there was the promise of years of steady enjoyment.

And so for the past few days, while working my way through Low Countries into France, in the back of my mind a little voice has been whispering "Patch 1.2". As the days pass the voice has got louder, and now I am building up to the same anticipation I had those few weeks ago.

I am hoping that the download speed for the patch is a little better (have we learned from our mistakes) as I expect the patch to be pretty big (there's a lot to be done!)

Anyone else feel that with 1.2 we are getting the thrill of 2 releases?

yes, I am playing with things in the game until this whole 1.2 patch comes through. Can't wait!

I looking forward to 1.2 a lot as well but perhaps because I don't play much (1 hour a day tops) I am enjoying my current game as well. Even though the saves are sometimes corrupt, it is a sandbox game (edited the save), there are AI and other bugs and very strange glithces and CTD's.

aye. sound like your a dial up connector as well. trying not to doze off on 10 hour downloads playing solitare in a small side window! lol!

I wouldn't have minded if I were a dial up connector - in fact I'm cable and should be able to hit speeds around 600-700kps. I anticipated a 1hr max download (allowing for peak traffic). It was Gamersgate that had the problem in not preparing properly. It did give me an opportunity to reread the manual etc - but after the second or third reread I just wanted to play the damn game!!

I don't want to start the issue again- just hoping that enough bandwith is ready for the surge of people wanting to download the patch all at once. (I am presuming that the patch will be quite sizeable).

Game is really getting hard to play and I'm thinking 1.2 won't solve even the majority of major problems.

Some of the stuff never should have made it to release no matter how few bugs the beta testers reported.

Having to restart many, many times just to get through assigning leaders to all the units, seeing AI minors with 10 IC building tac bombers, seeing Japan build mainly armor divisions, looking at the cores in China, looking at the cores in Korea is truly an eyesore and makes me want to shut the game off, the Vichy event, no civil war in China... the litany could go on obviously and I'm sure everyone has their own pet peeves.

I expected bad from Paradox at release but this is really bad.

I'm trying my hardest to ignore this game until it gets patched heavily. So I've been playing EU3 a lot. And now there's an expansion for that. Now I can't wait for THAT. How about Vicky? Well here comes Vicky 2! I can hardly wait for that one either. Might be time to pick up Crusader Kings and check that one out.

I have VERY lowered expectations because I have rarely experienced a game so poorly released, but then I never played the unpatched versions of earlier HOI games. The user mods are the only reason I am playing the game now, a few tweaks that could and should have been done by PI. Anyone who loaded up the game as released, took a minor country like Haiti and let it play itself should have seen the problems in diplomacy and supply. Or maybe this nonsense was their intent? Hope the patch fixes some major issues.

Having to restart many, many times just to get through assigning leaders to all the units,

I love the game. It won't kill me to mod the weather. I could maybe live with the Germany v world game (as long as I'm Germany), but I simply cannot imagine spending 4 - 6 hours arranging my OOB in preparation for Barbarossa.

Really looking forward to 1.2...

I agree with the OP. Described perfectly, and almost a mirror to myself. ( Mine took 17.5 hours to download ).
However, since I last invaded Poland, I just cant be bothered with the issues. Gaming shouldnt be a chore - it should be fun, challenging and stimulating.
Not slow, frustrating and annoying.

I have no doubt that 1.2 will be better than the current state of the game, but I have virtually had all the HOI life sucked out of me so far. Of course I will give it a go, but I can just see all the posts in the days following 1.2 - this doesnt work, that doesnt work. It'll be another 3 months before we get a ( relatively ) fixed and decent version of this game.

Will games companies NEVER learn from the past ?

I agree with the OP. Described perfectly, and almost a mirror to myself. ( Mine took 17.5 hours to download ).
However, since I last invaded Poland, I just cant be bothered with the issues. Gaming shouldnt be a chore - it should be fun, challenging and stimulating.
Not slow, frustrating and annoying.

I have no doubt that 1.2 will be better than the current state of the game, but I have virtually had all the HOI life sucked out of me so far. Of course I will give it a go, but I can just see all the posts in the days following 1.2 - this doesnt work, that doesnt work. It'll be another 3 months before we get a ( relatively ) fixed and decent version of this game.

Will games companies NEVER learn from the past ?

I am starting to get the impression that Paradox games these days not need until the first few patches but until the first expansion to become fun to play.
The only thing that keeps me positive is that the foundation of the game looks fixable and not like a total lost case.

My download speed wasn't bad but that just introduced me to the bugs earlier, i haven't played the game in a bout a week now, every time I see the icon I want to play but I know I will not enjoy it so I leave the icon until the day of the patch then we shall be re-united.

excelent post. I am resting also but i play 1-2h per day and wait for patch. In meantime i discovered Victoria. Excelent game till 1.2 comes.

Ah, Victoria... truly a love of mine.
Only the POTENTIAL HOI 3 can ever beat that game. In my humble opinion, of course.

I guess I was lucky to have forgotten the release day of HOI3, given how long some posters had to wait for their download.
Mine took 45minutes on a 8mbit connection, 1 day later.

Edit: But thats about the only time my forgetfullness have served me well.
"Im sorry, what? Valentines day? Today? Are you sure?"

I haven't played past 1940 yet, but learning the new game mechanics is still fun. Thanks to all of the posted quick fixes, (Thanx to all of you guys) I can play at a moderate speed on my old computer. I'm a micro-management nut at times so learning and retesting everything over and over again is fun to me. I will be happy when I can play a solid full game, but ok with waiting...for now anyway.

1.2 patch. The Holy Grail

Nice OP, As I am new to HOI never could get HOI2 to work!
I am enjoying the learning curve, playing everyday, ignoring some wierd issue,s. I figure I at least will be up to speed with most of the teq, when the new patch arrives. This game I think is going to be very addictive once its fully adjusted. Lets hope the downloads will be nice and fast for you all :D
regards, magpies.