• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It seems you have found a bug. Have you reported it?

Anyways, I never imagined so many things were different when you loaded a saved game. This could explain a thing or two.

Too bad your Rome siege didn't advance.

Nice to see some Naval action. It seems you are doing well on that front. Most of Italy appears to be under siege or under your control, at least until the Illyrian behemoth arrives!

GhostWriter said:
Rensslaer: ...Ironically, if Gabinius had waited just one more week before moving out of Liburni (Roman Loyalist) into Histri (Rebel occupied), he might not have suffered but a fraction as much attrition on New Year’s Day!

i can certainly feel for that AI. i have made that mistake more than once ! ! :eek: i been reading along as best i can. just don't have the energy to post very often.

magnificent updates ! !
Yeah, I've rarely got enough stacked to worry too much about it!

robou said:
I new that the incursion into Gaulia Cispania (sp?) would just be another blood bath for the Romans...
And keeping myself busy, eh? I believe you are doing much the same with 2 on the go! ;)
Well, add that to 7 jobs! :eek: And, yeah! :D

Enewald said:
I thinks you are doing not well.

I am not even sure victory is possible anymore.

The enemy has just everything more!
There's more potential out there, but they've got to do something with it! They're not doing that great at that.

English Patriot said:
Great update Renns, and Congratulations on your ACA win!
Thank you! I appreciate it! And all the support I got! Thanks, everybody!

WhisperingDeath said:
Nice update! Very exciting stuff! The Loyalists are feeling the pain on all fronts. Any worry about further large armies emerging from North Africa through the Straits of Gibraltar? Also, what's the Rebel Navy like?
You know... I believe my navy is either larger than the Roman navy, or else it's more concentrated. If the Romans started showing up with amphibious landings, I could probably respond effectively.

Olaus Petrus said:
I finally had time to catch up. Since the last time I read this AAR, Loyalists have lost a lot of men. Good job.

PS: I find election of Balbus somewhat amusing, because technically only Senate could appoint him and Senate holds it's gatherings in Rome. So maybe it's Loyalist plot. :D
You're right, of course! But who cares -- once you've broken one rule (crossing the Rubicon!), why bother with the others?

comagoosie said:
I worry about you economy. You mentioned it but briefly, yet it is intrical to running a nation. A strategy that I sometimes use is that if I have a large surplus of manpower I will mount a huge offensive. This in turn lowers my troop number, lowering their upkeep. Sometimes this pays off, getting me more money and gaining a province or two!

Whether or not this can truly turn your economy around, is anyone's guess, but I am sure that if you acquire Rome, then you will start making a profit.
I'm worried about my economy too! :eek: In fact, this makes for some interesting updates up ahead... Not a bad idea, at all, about intentional loss of units. Except that I could never afford that in my circumstance.

Lord E said:
The war continues. Progress is fine on some of the fronts, but it seems like you are starting to feel the costs of fielding such a large army. I think you should try to take Rome as quickly as possible to get increase your income as soon and as much as possible.
If the AI has done such a mistake with its army during the winter I guess you should be happy, because 34 cohorts will certainly be much easier to defeat than 59, let us hope we shall see more good news in the future :)
I way overbuilt, but then again, I kind of needed to! Who knows when they've got enough to hold back the sea? Rome is a tough nut. Yeah, I was really lucky with that Illyrian winter crossing!

ComradeOm said:
Ah, so now the Eternal City takes on added importance. I suppose that there's not much more that you can do in Italy except hope that the provinces fall quickly and the Loyalists advance slowly
I'm hoping to be able to secure Italy, so I can turn my back on it. We'll see...

Berrrie said:
Now that things are looking up military (the attrition of the loyalists main force from 59 to 34 cohorts was really a Christmas present), the economy is in danger. This scenario doesn't seem to give you an easy fight (and luckily so for us, readers).
I know! Never a break, huh? More excitement ahead!

comagoosie said:
It seems you have found a bug. Have you reported it?

Anyways, I never imagined so many things were different when you loaded a saved game. This could explain a thing or two.

Too bad your Rome siege didn't advance.
I'm reasonably sure the beta testers have it. It's a pretty obvious savegame bug. I tried to check, but couldn't find it. I'll check again.

WhisperingDeath said:
Nice to see some Naval action. It seems you are doing well on that front. Most of Italy appears to be under siege or under your control, at least until the Illyrian behemoth arrives!
Definitely waiting for a shoe to drop. I've got Italy more or less under control, and the Adriatic is basically my lake now. I'll see if I can venture further.

Enewald said:
Looks good!

Your legions are überisch. At least compared to the enemy ones. :D
I fear there may be other uberisch Roman legions beyond my field of vision... I won't know, in many cases, until they're upon me!

Berrrie said:
I don't have EU:Rome, so I would like to know what exactly happens when you go bankrupt?
It's never happened to me, believe it or not :rolleyes: , but I believe you'll lose stability and some of your buildings will be sold to pay the debts (at below-market prices). At least, that's how it was at one time, as I recall.

Hey, thanks guys, for the comments! I'll try to get another update up soon!

Rensslaer

Seems like the war is progressing in a fine way for your forces, but also the fact that you still haven’t been able to capture Rome is a setback. I think you should really try to attack the walls and end the siege of Rome as soon as possible…

Those few rebels in Iberia are doing wonderful job against so much larger armies.

Rensslaer: As the year 707 dawns…In Spain, one of those rebel cohorts which came out of nowhere (gifts of the governor Lucius Volcatius Tullus) is scrapping with a larger force of velites and archers, and giving them hell!

awesome ! ! :D

Rensslaer:
...Meanwhile, Admiral Dolabella is leading our rested and refitted navy out into the Mediterranean Sea in order to find elements of the Roman fleet, and destroy them piecemeal. He’s found some…

wonderful ! ! :)

Rensslaer:
...Gen. Pictor continued his winning streak with a decisive win over the 2,000 men Rome had left to guard the gateway to Illyria, at Paleoveneti.

hmmm. how many of your generals have a popularity(?) greater than Caesar?

Rensslaer:
...Those ragtag rebels in eastern Iberia (what would be Portugal on later maps) are causing yet more havoc!

hmmm. Portugal is on the western side of Iberia... yet, your description strongly suggests that you are in eastern Iberia ? ? :confused:

anyway, best of luck ! ! it looks like you could use some more ! ! :D

magnificent update ! !
:cool:

Okay... I wholeheartedly apologize for dropping off the face of the earth for about 3 weeks!

I've been quite busy doing lots of stuff... Up to and including breaking a Guiness world record yesterday (which I cannot explain on this board, except to say it involved a 45 pound (20 kg) pack and a 45 degree slope, so don't ask! :D ). Just trust that it was alot of work, but tremendous fun!

Lord E said:
Seems like the war is progressing in a fine way for your forces, but also the fact that you still haven’t been able to capture Rome is a setback. I think you should really try to attack the walls and end the siege of Rome as soon as possible…
With my luck at assaults, I really fear I would lose most of my army, which isn't just to say most of my army surrounding Rome... Most of my army, in toto! :eek: Well, maybe not most, but still... I need those men!

Olaus Petrus said:
Those few rebels in Iberia are doing wonderful job against so much larger armies.
I know! Truly -- when the revolt first happened, I was, "Huh? Where's that? Not around here... Not around there... Hmm.... Dude! Why am I able to see all this stuff over in Portugal?!" And since then, they've just been a Godsend!

GhostWriter said:
Rensslaer: As the year 707 dawns…In Spain, one of those rebel cohorts which came out of nowhere (gifts of the governor Lucius Volcatius Tullus) is scrapping with a larger force of velites and archers, and giving them hell!

awesome ! ! :D

Rensslaer:
...Meanwhile, Admiral Dolabella is leading our rested and refitted navy out into the Mediterranean Sea in order to find elements of the Roman fleet, and destroy them piecemeal. He’s found some…

wonderful ! ! :)

Rensslaer:
...Gen. Pictor continued his winning streak with a decisive win over the 2,000 men Rome had left to guard the gateway to Illyria, at Paleoveneti.

hmmm. how many of your generals have a popularity(?) greater than Caesar?

Rensslaer:
...Those ragtag rebels in eastern Iberia (what would be Portugal on later maps) are causing yet more havoc!

hmmm. Portugal is on the western side of Iberia... yet, your description strongly suggests that you are in eastern Iberia ? ? :confused:

anyway, best of luck ! ! it looks like you could use some more ! ! :D

magnificent update ! !
:cool:
Oops! You're right about my directions. Sorry! :rolleyes: Hmm... Number of generals more popular than Caesar... Maybe only 3-4 actually, if only because the really successful generals have always been the ones in battle, and the rest are off in minor battles with minor victories. Pictor would be at about 500% popularity right now, if the game counted that high! :D

Another update coming.... Relatively soon (tried to do it tonight, but there's too much going on -- I'm halfway done).

Rensslaer

Rensslaer said:
I've been quite busy doing lots of stuff... Up to and including breaking a Guiness world record yesterday (which I cannot explain on this board, except to say it involved a 45 pound (20 kg) pack and a 45 degree slope, so don't ask! :D ). Just trust that it was alot of work, but tremendous fun!
Now I'm curious... :confused: :p

Rensslaer: ...I'm halfway done

wonderful ! ! looking forward to it ! ! :D

Rensslaer:
...Up to and including breaking a Guiness world record yesterday

congratulations ! ! :)

is it too early to ask for more ? ? :cool:

Sorry about that, guys! Actually, there is more coming, and I'm even wanting to get back to playing, but my time has been severely restricted lately -- 70 or 90 hour weeks at work and all that.

I'll get back to this eventually. Right now, most of my playing/posting time is devoted to trying to finish Sforza sometime before 2010! :rolleyes:

I appreciate your interest!

Rensslaer

Once my world stops spinning...

Er, my head. Umm... Maybe that's a bad analogy too.

I actually do intend to get back to this once I don't have 50 things to do every day -- a condition which is coming into being, starting today. I hope. :D

Thanks for your interest, Aussieboy! And welcome!

I'm not sure I can answer your question right now. It's been probably a year since I was working on this AAR.:rolleyes: When I can get back into the swing, and remember what I was doing, I'll answer.

Rensslaer

If anyone is still paying attention, I want to apologize for my long absence. I hope you won’t mind if I start this up again where I left off. This was a really fun scenario, and I’ve started thinking about it again. Seems like about 5 years ago when I was actually playing this game, but it’s still on my computer and should be resurrectable.

Unless you want to go back and re-read (something I would recommend, but not everyone has the fortitude), here are the high points of what’s been happening.

• It’s the Roman Civil War, and Julius Caesar wants to win control of Rome.
• There was an uprising of rebel-loyalists in Spain, but they couldn’t survive without support from Gaul, so they’re fighting their way that direction.
• There are rebel troops on the Italian peninsula, including a siege force at Rome, but it’s always a dance, isn’t it?
• There is a doomstack of Roman loyalists moving up the Dalmatian shore who should be coming into Italy proper soon. Not sure yet what we’re going to do about that.
• The Roman siege force at Caesar’s capital (Gallia Cisalpina) were utterly destroyed in January by Gen. Cinna, who now may be able to play some role in stopping that doomstack.

Remarkably, the “great escape” underway in western Spain continues with more seeming-victories for the Rebel side! A large collection of these rebels were confronted by Roman soldiers, but gave better than they got.

VettonesBatt.jpg

And Marcus Lepidus continues to do his part for Caesar, with the raising of yet more men for the fight!

Holding two provinces on the Italian peninsula, things are beginning to look positive for Caesar’s rebellion. But not everything. The Illyrian march continues, with a massive set of legions moving toward northern Italy. And Lucius Marcius Censorinus leads a large legion, after having raised them from the ranks of retired or defeated veterans, toward Campania, where the siege hasn’t the forces to likely withstand this counterattack…

RevoltLucania.jpg

The saga continues in Spain… We are pushing south from Gaul, and Quintus Pedius is probably quite full of himself, thinking he can stop Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa from reaching safety in Ilergetes. But if you look at the casualty figures from Lusones, Agrippa is doing alright, considering, and if you look at the battlefield image, his troops are holding up in good order. The benefit of a good general!

AgrippaPedius.jpg

As the fight at Lusones continues, both sides are badly hurt, but Agrippa turns the tables and the loyalists begin taking higher casualties.

SecondRound.jpg

In the end, Agrippa took as good as he got, though his smaller force could ill afford it. He continues his march north, and should soon arrive to hopefully dislodge the Roman siege at Ilergetes, which is quite advanced.

Our army, under Marcus Lepidus, settles in at Cassetani, which would be a great province to take over, but it also allows him to wait, and perhaps even to coordinate, in preparation for an attack upon the Ilergetes siege. More troops head that way from Vascones.

AgrippaLepidus.jpg

The Roman commander at Ilergetes, if he’s aware of any of this, must be wondering if he should have switched sides already.

Good and bad news in the Roman boot. Marcus Censorinus blasts into the siege lines at Campania from the rear, which hold tolerably well, but this isn’t going to be successful, I fear.

Campania.jpg

But at the same time, Apulia finally surrenders to the forces of Caesar, and an army from Samnium is already on its way to deal with Censorinus. Perhaps soon from Apulia too.

Umm… I’m starting to notice that that siege rating in Rome hasn’t advanced since January. Amazing what things you miss when you’re in the heat of battle, and which seem so obvious coming back to the game after 4 years! Anyone know why that is? Do I need a more substantial siege force (I remember I denuded the siege there to fuel other defensive and/or occupation armies)? Is there a requirement that the capital be assaulted to fall? I’m just not familiar with this issue. Ideas? (((Oh! I notice in the previous update I mentioned the siege was up to 88% at Rome until I had a terrible savegame error which zorched it. Still, for some reason it’s been at 50% for 6 months, which shouldn’t be))).

Barbs.jpg

In northern Hispania, a Rebel army defeats a Vascones barbarian army and then turns south to relieve Ilergetes.

By the 2nd week of May, reinforcements from Samnium have arrived in Campania, under Gen. Sextus Caecilius Labeo. It’s enough to keep the battle going, preventing defeat, but we’re still getting creamed by Censorinus and his troops.

Censorinus.jpg

Thankfully, our forces from Apulia are en route. Will they arrive in time, and will they do any good?

Lastly, you’ve been anticipating this massive horde from Dalmatia for several updates now. They’re down to “only” 29,000 soldiers now, mostly heavy infantry, bolstered by cavalry and archers. They’ve arrived at Paleoveneti, and are assaulting the garrison there, which cannot hold for long.

LoomingBattle.jpg

And yet, Gen. Pictor is four days away, hurrying from the south with about 20,000 men. A clash is coming. So much hinges upon him to whom the victorious laurel falls. Anticipate its resolution in the next update!

And you should be able to expect the next update within the month of May, in any case… This AAR is not in as bad a shape as I expected, so it shouldn’t take quite so much time to do the updates.

The complication comes when I need to start playing the actual game again, and pick off where I left off. Not to worry, that is still about 5 updates in the future.

I see about 4-5 active AARs here in the Rome forum – who’s about? Care to say hi?

Must be a record!!! resurrected nearly 3 years after last post :)

Its an interesting scenario about one of the great events in the world history, I was very surprised when i read about this civil war the first time after having just read how Marius and Sulla had massacred their enemies. That Caesar forgave (Clemens?) his enemies rather than killing them all off was a new in the history of the world afaik then.

great update and encouraged me to read back to pick up the story. The later scenarios in Rome are interesting as you have that period where the main enemy is domestic and the Civil Wars so messy etc

I see about 4-5 active AARs here in the Rome forum – who’s about? Care to say hi?

if normal Rome commentaarting continues, you'll end up with comments from all the mod team ... for some reason we all hang around here and try to panic (no I mean support) authors