• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Mats_SX

Field Marshal
27 Badges
Mar 11, 2005
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Heir to the Throne
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II
Will EU2 be left standing, with this new game coming as a "replacement"? Or will FTG require an EU2 install to install upon?

As far as I've gathered, this is a game very similar to EU2, but yet very different. Same core calculations over how game elements work (manpower, taxes, stability, technology, trade, battles, manufactories etc etc), but with new and improved "outside" features. Is this a somewhat accurate understanding?

Or will EU2 get a share of these improvements?

Actually, as far as I understood it, this will actually BE EU2 with a couple of mostly minor improvements to lift EU2's inherent modding limitations (province limits etc.). Maybe some previously hardcoded stuff will be laid open in external files as well, though that's pure speculation.

I wish these EU2-source projects would have been somewhat more enthusiastic - how about allowing the engine to run on modern resolutions? Bringing in features from other EU2-engine games to the base game like the dynastic modelling and multi-unit-type armies from Crusader Kings? Re-imprementing promintent EU3 features into EU2's 2D based engine?
THAT I would pay $60 for.
For a slightly updated EU2 that theoretically and potentially could be a host to better mods ... less so.

Still far too early to tell, though, of course.
_____
rezaf

Actually, as far as I understood it, this will actually BE EU2 with a couple of mostly minor improvements to lift EU2's inherent modding limitations (province limits etc.). Maybe some previously hardcoded stuff will be laid open in external files as well, though that's pure speculation.

I wish these EU2-source projects would have been somewhat more enthusiastic - how about allowing the engine to run on modern resolutions? Bringing in features from other EU2-engine games to the base game like the dynastic modelling and multi-unit-type armies from Crusader Kings? Re-imprementing promintent EU3 features into EU2's 2D based engine?
For a slightly updated EU2 that theoretically and potentially could be a host to better mods ... less so.

_____
rezaf
New resolutions ARE supported. MichaelM has confirmed this.

Making EU2 into EU3 has no purpose. EU2 is another game, and with different possibilities and goals. If you want EU3 features, play EU3 ;)

What I want is an improved based for Multiplayer purposes. Bugs fixed, rules made implementable through game modding (instead of relying on player memory and reliability) and a more solid experience with better in-game tools.

New resolutions ARE supported. MichaelM has confirmed this.

Making EU2 into EU3 has no purpose. EU2 is another game, and with different possibilities and goals. If you want EU3 features, play EU3 ;)

What I want is an improved based for Multiplayer purposes. Bugs fixed, rules made implementable through game modding (instead of relying on player memory and reliability) and a more solid experience with better in-game tools.

In other words, breaking the goddamn limitations EU2 impose upon the players.

Only God knows how i have waited for certain stuff like a "peace command" to be implemented into eu2.

Would I post in this forum if I thought EU3 was for all intents and purposes superior to EU2?
I could never get into EU3, which is why I obviously don't want EU2 to be turned into EU3. I was talking about isolated features and/or improvements you could no doubt find in EU3 that could have been nice if EU2 had them as well, though not having played EU3 extensively it's kinda hard for me to point out something specific. What puts me off the most about EU3 is the hideous graphics engine, though, so I probably WOULD play EU3 running exactly like EU3 EXCEPT with EU2's map graphics and stuff.

Anyway, I was just trying to point out examples of stuff I thought MIGHT be realized with the source code released. Just look what has been done with other games which had their source (or parts of it) released like CivIV or Jagged Alliance 2 or the old id games.

Glad to hear about more resolutions being supported, though. :)
_____
rezaf

I must say this is totally innovative. Having an essentially community-led game be a major title is amazing. Bravo, PI.

Remember, just because we haven't done these doesn't mean we couldn't do them in a sequel. And how do you know we haven't done them already, anyway? :)

We can now say anything we want, but we don't want to spoil the surprises. There will be a series of developer diaries coming.

Woho!!

Let's assume that you don't already have a mile-long list of todo stuff :)p), are you still open to new suggestions and ideas?
I suppose so, but keep in mind that there were a LOT of features that we really wanted that had to be postponed or axed. I'm sure the beta testers (which might include you) will have plenty to say.

I must say this is totally innovative. Having an essentially community-led game be a major title is amazing. Bravo, PI.

It's actually not that innovative. Some examples are Team Fortress, Counter Strike and Day of Defeat. All are games that came from humble small beginnings (Quake and Half Life engine) and became full fledged titles.

PI's policy is actually less innovative than some developers have done ~10 years ago (like ID's engines). Because you have to apply to make a game with the engine and as a result a lot of projects will never happen.

We can now say anything we want, but we don't want to spoil the surprises. There will be a series of developer diaries coming.

Sounds great! :D