• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Winter Teaser #5 - Mendicant Mystics Making a Mess

Welcome comrades! We’ve not got anything major on the docket for the day’s dev diary, so we’ll be taking a little peak at a cultural tradition that’s dear to my heart instead. Just to whet the appetite for more content a little.

001.PNG

Mendicant Mystics is a moderately uncommon tradition, one that synergises well with faiths that already boost the mystic lifestyle. Moreover, though, there’s something that just _speaks_ to me, personally, about the idea of impassioned people wandering the world, sharing their wisdom and message.

Consequently, I’ve spruced it up a little bit, adding some flavour to the idea of living in a culture where wandering know-it-all is a valid career choice. To reflect this, the following events will all _try_ to grab characters from the pool first, so wandering characters of such a culture are often at risk of deciding to become a mystic once they hit the road, and if a mystic breaks in to annoy you once, there’s every chance the same mystic might come knocking a second time down the line...

002.PNG

After all, who better than a stranger covered in twigs and mud to teach your children some valuable life lessons?

003.PNG

Or, indeed, yourself.

004.PNG

Really, they’re altruists...

005.PNG

… of course, for some folks, the wandering may get too much eventually.

006.PNG

Hmmm, can’t really put my finger on why I like the idea of mendicant mystics so much. Something about them just seems delightfully familiar to me, I guess. Ah well.

Thanks for reading folks, and we’ll see you next dev diary!

• 81Like
  • 25Love
  • 20Haha
Reactions:
These special culture things are just the coolest thing about this expansion. Its absolutely the feature I am looking forward to most.

• 13Like
Reactions:
I like this idea.

How many shaman events are there in total, and how often do they fire (if you are of a culture with this tradition)?

Can they fire even if you are NOT of a culture with this tradition? (The converting event seems fitting.)

• 7Like
Reactions:
Will we also get these events if our ruler's culture doesn't have this tradition but the county in which our capital is does?

I hope so. As a foreign ruling class recently installed in some areas I want to be pestered by local priests :D sounds fun. TBH anything that makes the clergy/priests feel relevent in CK3 will tickle me. Such a bland part of the game atm.

• 7Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
I like the addition to the game.

• 1Like
Reactions:
TBH anything that makes the clergy/priests feel relevent in CK3 will tickle me. Such a bland part of the game atm.

Agree.

I hope the next expansion is related to religion, specifically: religious orders, heresies, religious minorities, tolerance of religious minorities, the inquisition, papal bulls, religious hierarchy, college of cardinals, cardinals, archbishops, papal elections, elections of bishops by chapters of monks or canons, monastery holding type, papal confirmation of a chapter election or lay investiture of bishop, lay investiture vs papal investiture conflict, witch and heresy trials, better religious chivalric orders.

• 8Like
Reactions:
Agree.

I hope the next expansion is related to religion, specifically: religious orders, heresies, religious minorities, tolerance of religious minorities, the inquisition, papal bulls, religious hierarchy, college of cardinals, cardinals, archbishops, papal elections, elections of bishops by chapters of monks or canons, monastery holding type, papal confirmation of a chapter election or lay investiture of bishop, lay investiture vs papal investiture conflict, witch and heresy trials, better religious chivalric orders.
God I hope so. Especially in the Abrahamic faiths (the main focus of the game) the first estate should be this confusing mess of a secondary power track sitting uncomfortably and awkwardly alongside the temporal power of temporal rulers. Why even make a game about feudal europe if your not going to even represent the constant struggle/power-sharing/accomodations between church and state.

Hopefully at somepoint at the VERY LEAST religious opinions and your characters adherence to them should be important. If I piss the Pope off it should be possible for him to convince my priests to close down all churchs unless they like me more or whatever.

• 5Like
Reactions:
Ok, I chuckled. Hope, however, that there are more events than the one depicted.

This diary sent me back to the one announcing the rework of cultures and languages. This looks like the best part of the upcoming changes — and it's free!

View attachment 791351

Really, they’re altruists...

The text of this event uses "gost" as though it's some kind of regional equivalent of a monk. But I couldn't find such a word in the OED or Wiktionary. Searching Wikipedia led me to Gost Radin, a Bosnian clergyman, and it seems that it's the word for a friar in the alleged Bosnian church. Learning about different cultures and religions is a great part of the CK experience, but maybe the meaning could be made a bit more obvious in this particular case? I don't think the Religion screen has a list of each religion's terminology (at least in 1.4). And in this particular case, a simple Google Search isn't going to be enough (at least until "ck3 gost" points here :rolleyes: ).

Are the underscores a grammatical error, or a clue to new modder coding available?
If you mean the underlined words, I take it that these are words that will change depending on the context and players can click on them for further information. In the Bosnian example above, players might want to know a bit more about the Krstjani religion before they convert to it.... I for one knew nothing about it before this post.

Last edited:
Reactions:
These special culture things are just the coolest thing about this expansion. Its absolutely the feature I am looking forward to most.
Agreed.

• 2Like
Reactions: