• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hi again folks! It's a big day today with the release of the Common Sense expansion for EUIV! Naturally, we are releasing a patch for CKII in tandem, in order to keep the save game converter up-to-date.

Patch Notes here:
- Updated government calculation to be up to date with EU4 1.12
- Fixed the localisation issues on Mac and Linux with country names
- Ibadi is now its own main religion like it should be

NOTE: We are aware of an issue on Mac and Linux caused by EU4's recent engine upgrade, which broke EU4's ability to find the exported games from CK2. For now, you have to manually copy the exported save from eu4_export/mod to EU4's mod folder but this will be fixed ASAP by the EU4 team.

Now then, this time I thought I'd talk about the internal dynamics of the nomadic hordes. As I mentioned last time, Nomads use population and manpower rather than relying on levies and taxes from Holdings, so they tend to have a lot fewer normal vassals than other realms. To compensate for this, Nomad hordes rely on a variable number of member Clans instead. The Clans are similar to regular vassals in some respects, except that they also employ Manpower and Population (oh, and you are allowed to play as a vassal Clan too, of course), and each Clan has a special opinion called Clan Sentiment of the other Clans, separate from that of its chief. As a horde grows, it will be encouraged to increase the number of member Clans. Likewise, you can have too many Clans for the amount of available land.

Crusader Kings II - Clan Management.jpg

Effective management of the Clans takes some effort due to their infighting and Sentiments. We have added a new screen to give you a proper overview of the situation. Red lines between the Clans indicate an ongoing "Blood Feud" and green lines a "Blood Oath". A Clan can only have one "blood brother" Clan, but many feuds. Feuds are started either by simple declaration, or by raiding one of the other Clans in the realm... Yes, even though you might all be serving same Khan, nothing stops you from raiding a fellow Clan's land! Blood Oaths are similar to marriage alliances; they last as long as both of the Clan Chiefs are alive, but they are only type of alliance that allows you to call another Clan to war in internal wars (and that includes the Khan!) Blood Feuds are much more persistent and can only be settled with a payment of blood money... or by the other Clan's extinction.

Another twist to the Oath and Feud status is that actions taken against one Clan will affect the Sentiment of its enemy or blood brother, as appropriate. For example, an oath-bound Clan will also become hostile to whomever is raiding you, and will dislike any clans you are in Feud with for as long as the Oath lasts. Feuding parties are allowed to freely declare outright wars against each other, fighting over the grazing lands in a single county.

Crusader Kings II - Feud.jpg

Clans can be a bit tricky to manage, not just because of their own infighting but also because they don't follow any system of laws like the Feudal realms do; they are more about frankly expecting and demanding things from their Khan. If they view the Khan as weak and pathetic they are quite prone to attempt to have him replaced with another Clan chief (usually through membership in a special Faction.)

Apart from proposing Blood Oaths and declaring Feuds, the Khan also has access to a number of special actions against the other Clans. He can demand that they split in order to maintain balance within the tribe, or even absorb them; unless they refuse, of course! Clans are also free to adopt the religion of another Clan, should they like it better for some reason (steppe nomads are fairly open-minded about religious matters.)

I am sure there is more I should mention about Clan management, but since I really need to get back to work, I'll leave you with this. :) Next time; Tributaries, Nomad succession and dynamic mercenaries!

You know what this is going to mean, right? India based Vikings raiding the shores of England with elephants.
Was actually a thing that happened when we were tweaking the AI, QA came and complained that they were being raided by Hindu elephants that had traveled to Arabia by boat to raid.

Reactions:
Reactions:
Is that an elephant crossing a waterway?

So until I purchase the expansion, I'll still be able to play the Mongols or whichever and they'll be unreformed tribes just like e.g. the Norse?

Nothing Nomadic-related's coming along with the free patch?

Exactly. The steppe will be tribal without Horse Lords. The new steppe provinces will still be there however.

Interesting. So just to be clear this means someone with horselords can try out the mechanics of the varius dlc locked religions without buying their respective dlc by playing as a nomad?

You can play as any existing religion if you are a Nomad and have Horse Lords. However, you will not be able to become feudal if you are of a religion that is locked by a DLC you do not own. And some of the flavor events for the religion you are playing might also be DLC locked.

Are the nomad mechanics sufficiently mod friendly that someone could make a mod that applies them to desert nomads like beduins and berbers?

Yes, you can easily mod who should be nomad. :)

Reactions:
Reactions:
Why does the player's character on that screenshot have a red (republican ?) ribbon around his portrait, and not the yellow horde ribbon ?

Its a very old picture

Reactions:
Reactions:
The Ilkhanate? Please can you give me something to verify that.
I know the Mongols did in China. What about Timur?
I am also concerned about the Golden Horde doing it.
Well ok the Ilkhanate did via Timur is probably the best way to put it but the Timurids settled. Also the Seljuk Turks did. They aren't mongols but they will probably use the mechanic.

No its an elephant debarking from a boat in the Persian gulf
You have missed many trolling chances with that honest answer, sir :p

If nomads are empire tier, what will happen to nomads that were historically vassalized by their sedentary neighbors, like Black Hoods and Kiev or post-Mongol Cumans and Hungary?

Reactions:
@Groogy - I may be jumping the gun here, but since it's possible for the horde to destroy holdings as they sweep through territory, would it also be possible for the culture's who've been ravaged by the hordes to adopt the nomadic government & lifestyle (i.e. the Holy Roman Horde)?

Will these new rules affect the Aztec invaders of Sunset Invasion in any way?
Isn't that basically what happened with the Goths and the Franks and all the other Germanics who got invaded by the Huns?

Reactions: