• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Second week and a second dev diary! We will continue for this week as well to discuss new patch features and changes.

I'll start with some more quality of life changes we've done with the right-click menu to make interactions with various entities in the game even more smooth. For starters we've finally removed the capital letters in the tooltip to hint about how to now interact with characters, but that's not really a big deal. We have also extended the menu to now include actions such as plot to kill in this menu to make life a little bit easier.

DD_2.jpg

But we didn't end there because we also felt that you should be able to interact more with holdings and titles so we added it to them as well, including a decision to switch what you want as your capital holding. Obviously the bishopric of Uppsala should be the capital of Sweden now that the capital holding type doesn't matter for government anymore.

DD_1.jpg

There's also a thing that has been very difficult to do in Crusader Kings 2 is to get a visual overview of your realm and its hierarchy which is why we have merged the Independent Realms mapmode and Direct Vassals mapmode into one superior mapmode which combine the both plus some more. Let's have a look at the Holy Roman Empire and his realm.

DD_3.jpg

To now see the breakdown of this realm you Ctrl+Left Click on a province on the map belonging to the Empire and it will break up in-front of you to show you what hides within. Showing you the various duchies and counts beneath the Emperor. Pretty standard to how the Direct Vassal mapmode works but you can isolate it to one realm at a time.

DD_4.jpg

But let's say you want to look deeper into the hierarchy and break up the Kingdom of Bohemia to view what duchies and counties that it contains? You just click it again and this sub realm will also be broken apart to reveal the King's own direct vassals letting you examine your vassals vassals.

DD_5.jpg

And like Doomdark did last week I'll finish up with some random snippets from our huge Changelog

- Several Lovers events now checks that ruler/spouse/lover isn't incapable/imprisoned
- Rügen, Öland and Djerba are no longer considered to be ocean terrain provinces.
- You'll no longer try to talk to your dead children when you have the family focus.
- It is now possible to gain the Crusader/Mujahid trait as a character of any religion participating in a Crusade/Jihad.
- To become a cardinal you have to be within the pope's diplomatic range
- Can no longer enforce plot to take vassal land if he is in revolt.
- Go tiger hunting no longer disappears after creating a custom Empire in India.
- Fixed get married ambition for homosexuals.
- Now we have visual indicator when settlement slots are being used by tribals
- Paranoid parents should no longer worry about potential plots against dead children.
- Lovers in prison can no longer get impregnated normally
- Anglo-Saxons are now also allowed to create the Kingdom of Saxony

Last edited:
Nice, I was very excited back when it was announced that we would get targetted decisions which we can aim at holdings. This opens up a lot of way more convenient ways to target a province for modding.

Reactions:
Make this this change optional please. I dont like the idea of changing map-views, with only a click on my empire.
Well, it's Ctrl+left click without an army selected. Probably not the easiest thing to do accidentally.

Edit: So it looks like the diplo-relations map mode except only for the realm the target province is in and actual names for the province. No more trying to discern from diplomatic relations map mode and the title map screen exactly who owns what.

Reactions:
Dont want vassals-of-vassals?

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean, we do get that. Control click on your vassal and you'll see his vassals...

Is there an improvement that will stop war from being a strategic game of whack-a-mole and pin the tail on the 10.000 man army fleeing from your 12.000 man army ?

Just curious , since in my humble opinion this is the biggest issue with CK II. While most mechanics bear a good amount of verisimilitude this seems to be the biggest immersion breaker.
I'm not sure what can be made to make the AI less silly but I believe this should definitely be a point of focus.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean, we do get that. Control click on your vassal and you'll see his vassals...
Yes, from what I understand, control-click on your provinces displays your vassals, control-click again displays your vassals' vassals, control-click once more displays your vassals' vassals' vassals, etc...

It's like inception pretty much, each time you click you go down a level. :D

Reactions:
Yes, from what I understand, control-click on your provinces displays your vassals, control-click again displays your vassals' vassals, control-click once more displays your vassals' vassals' vassals.

It's like inception pretty much, each time you click you go down a level. :D
It looks more like Ctrl+clicking on a province only goes down to get to the province owner. Or maybe it is that it only shows the direct vassals of the vassal you clicked on.

I'm sorry but merging the Independent Realms and Direct Vassals mapmodes seems pointless and involves more clicks than necessary to perform the same task, this only really benefits if you have an empire where vassalage can get confusing and the breakdown is simpler. Can't this be optional? I find I'm always using the direct vassal mapmode rather than the independent realms one.

^ Never mind Groogy answered this, and I am happy that the new map mode is there if you want to use it, you don't have to. :)

Paranoid parents should no longer worry about potential plots against dead children.
About time this was fixed! thanks for that. When the notifications keep popping up, it was really creepy.

Last edited:
Will this new mapmode allow you to see what YOU have actually conquered as part of your demesne since as far as I can tell there is no way to do that at present?

Second week and a second dev diary! We will continue for this week as well to discuss new patch features and changes.

I'll start with some more quality of life changes we've done with the right-click menu to make interactions with various entities in the game even more smooth. For starters we've finally removed the capital letters in the tooltip to hint about how to now interact with characters, but that's not really a big deal. We have also extended the menu to now include actions such as plot to kill in this menu to make life a little bit easier.

View attachment 128237

But we didn't end there because we also felt that you should be able to interact more with holdings and titles so we added it to them as well, including a decision to switch what you want as your capital holding. Obviously the bishopric of Uppsala should be the capital of Sweden now that the capital holding type doesn't matter for government anymore.

View attachment 128238

There's also a thing that has been very difficult to do in Crusader Kings 2 is to get a visual overview of your realm and its hierarchy which is why we have merged the Independent Realms mapmode and Direct Vassals mapmode into one superior mapmode which combine the both plus some more. Let's have a look at the Holy Roman Empire and his realm.

View attachment 128244

To now see the breakdown of this realm you Ctrl+Left Click on a province on the map belonging to the Empire and it will break up in-front of you to show you what hides within. Showing you the various duchies and counts beneath the Emperor. Pretty standard to how the Direct Vassal mapmode works but you can isolate it to one realm at a time.

View attachment 128241

But let's say you want to look deeper into the hierarchy and break up the Kingdom of Bohemia to view what duchies and counties that it contains? You just click it again and this sub realm will also be broken apart to reveal the King's own direct vassals letting you examine your vassals vassals.

View attachment 128242

And like Doomdark did last week I'll finish up with some random snippets from our huge Changelog

- Several Lovers events now checks that ruler/spouse/lover isn't incapable/imprisoned
- Rügen, Öland and Djerba are no longer considered to be ocean terrain provinces.
- You'll no longer try to talk to your dead children when you have the family focus.
- It is now possible to gain the Crusader/Mujahid trait as a character of any religion participating in a Crusade/Jihad.
- To become a cardinal you have to be within the pope's diplomatic range
- Can no longer enforce plot to take vassal land if he is in revolt.
- Go tiger hunting no longer disappears after creating a custom Empire in India.
- Fixed get married ambition for homosexuals.
- Now we have visual indicator when settlement slots are being used by tribals
- Paranoid parents should no longer worry about potential plots against dead children.
- Lovers in prison can no longer get impregnated normally
- Anglo-Saxons are now also allowed to create the Kingdom of Saxony

How is the plot added to the diplo menu? Is this how are all plots displayed now, replacing the old plot button? Or is said button still in? Is there a way to toggle plots off the diplomatic menu? It can make things a bit too crowded for mods that add new plots.

Reactions:
Any way we could have crown authority for non de jure vassals at any level conform to our crown authority?

It's really annoying to make a king vassal (before de jure drift), who immediately starts messing up my borders.

Any way we could have crown authority for non de jure vassals at any level conform to our crown authority? It's really annoying to make a king vassal (before de jure drift), who immediately starts messing up my borders.

Or how about a section (a non de jure shield) in the laws tab to control their laws. That way they can have certain restrictions put upon them or the player can tweak the laws so that they act as marches.

Reactions:
Hmmm I'm not sure I like the elimination of the plot-against character. While the vanilla game only includes the kill optioin, plenty of mods expand that to others such as most TC mods in the case of the kidnap plot.

Does this essentially mean all of these plots will have to be jumbled into the action menu from now on?

Of course, this is just modification-wise relevant.

Reactions:
Tribals strength are based on amount of empty holdings in the province, its just a little visual cue that its technically "not empty"

Is there anything in the works to make the tranistion from tribal to feudal less clunky, especially for non-germanics the transition ends up being slow since your vassals dont raid.

Reactions:
Maybe Ive missed something, but what the exact point of swapping the county capital from castle to city or church, espically if you don't own them, does it provide any bonus anything or is it just for realism ,ie Constanoble being a city not a castle?

When
All of this is integrated into the old Independent Realm mapmode, if you don't want to use it you simply don't have to.
When has that ever stopped someone's complaining? I like how you just kind of threw the can not lead armies button in there not even in the actual dev diary like it isn't the best thing ever invented.

Reactions:
Looks great Team! Thank you for your work, and I can't wait to hear more!

Saving the living hedgehog toupee for later eh Groogy? ;)
My question is will you allow us to name said hedgehog?

Well, those are nice news but nothing terribly earth shattering.

I am sure they are just buying time for the real meat :)

Reactions: