• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Victoria 3 - Dev Diary #58 - Interest Revisions

16_9.jpg

Hello and welcome to yet another Victoria 3 development diary. Today is going to be a fairly brief dev diary discussing some design changes in diplomacy that happened as a result of internal playtesting and feedback, specifically to the mechanics of Interests and their significance in the game.

Interests, as you may recall from Dev Diary #19, are essentially a country having a diplomatic presence in a particular Strategic Region, either as a result of owning territory there, having a subject that owns territory there, or through a Declared Interest. Back then, Interests merely limited where you start Diplomatic Plays and Establish Colonies, and acted as a guide for the AI in terms of which countries it needed to care about

With so many Great Powers maintaining Interests there, Europe is a perilous place to start a Diplomatic Play in
DD58_1.jpg

So, what has changed between then and now? Well, basically, playtesting revealed two principal issues with Interests in the game. The first was that they simply didn’t feel significant enough, because they only tied directly into colonization and diplomatic plays. The second was that the number of declared Interests a country had available to them was based solely on rank, which meant that Austria with its miniscule navy was able to maintain almost as global a presence as the British with their, well, definitely not so miniscule navy.

To solve the first problem, we decided to do a little experiment - what if instead of just limiting colonization and diplomatic plays, Interests were required for all forms of diplomacy, up to and including trade? This was an idea we’d kicked around previously, but the concern was that it’d simply be too limiting, particularly where trade was concerned, because as mentioned, the only way to get more Interests was to increase your country rank, and once you were a Great Power, well that was it. No more trade partners, at least not of your own choosing.

The solution to the second problem, then, turned out to also be the key to the first one: tying the navy directly into declared Interests. The number of declared Interests from rank were reduced, and instead, Naval Bases now produce declared Interests, with one declared Interest provided per 10 flotillas that a country has. In other words, while Austria can now maintain a handful of declared Interests around Europe to look out for its national interests (pun intended), the size of Britain’s fleet allows it to poke its nose into the business of just about any corner of the world that it wants to.

Spain’s navy may not be what it once was, but it’s still large enough to allow the Spanish a greater diplomatic reach than their Major Power rank would otherwise allow
DD58_2.jpg

With this change made, our experiment truly came together, and allowed us to greatly expand the scope of the Interest mechanic. Instead of just being a requirement for taking over land, Interests now signify a formal diplomatic presence in a region without which you simply do not have the ability to interact with that region at all - no French diplomats in Southeast Asia means no French diplomacy in Southeast Asia.

In no particular order, here are all the mechanics that now tie into Interests:
  • Diplomatic Plays & Colonization: As before, a country must have an Interest in a region to start a Diplomatic Play or begin colonizing there.
  • Diplomatic Actions: To conduct diplomacy with a country, you must now have at least one overlapping Interest - meaning they must have an Interest in any strategic region where you also have an Interest. For example, Texas can conduct diplomacy with Britain if Britain maintains an Interest in the Dixie Region, even if Texas has no Interests outside the Dixie region.
  • Trade: To establish a trade route between two markets, one of the two market owners has to have an Interest in any region where the other market is present. For example, if the USA maintains an Interest in La Plata where the Argentine market is present, then Argentina and the USA can trade with each other, even if Argentina doesn’t have an Interest anywhere in North America.
  • Notifications: You will only be informed about diplomatic going-ons between countries with which you have an overlapping Interest, and in states where you have an Interest in the region.

As much as the Sikh Empire might desire European allies against Britain, their landlocked position limits their options - without a coast they will have to wait for one of those powers to take an interest in North India
DD58_3.jpg

Ultimately, the result of these changes were threefold: It made Interests a far more central mechanic to the game, it increased the need for maintaining a large fleet-in-being for empires with global ambitions, and it increased immersion by having who you could and could not deal with simply make more sense. An isolated Bhutan in the Himalayas now truly feels isolated, rather than inexplicably being able to send embassies to Paraguay at a whim.

That’s it for today! I’ll be back next week with another Dev Diary on a hotly anticipated topic: The AI of Victoria 3.

• 257Like
  • 88Love
Reactions:
This comment is reserved by the Community Team for gathering Dev Responses in, for ease of reading.

Enska said:

1. How many interests do you get at minimum, without navy and being a really low rank country?

2. Is it possible to cheese the system by simply having a small colony everywhere, thus not needing to declare interests?
1. There is no minimum - Insignificant Powers don't get to declare any interests if they don't have a navy large enough. You still get an Interest where you own land, though.
2. Small/incomplete colonies do not give you an Interest in the region.

ToedPlays said:

Love the idea of tying Interests to navy. Britannia rules the waves, of course.

My only issue with what's described is the notifications. I'd at least like the option to have notifications outside of Interests. If you play as the United States, you should probably be notified of the wars breaking out in Europe, even if you don't have the ability to interfere.
You do get notifications about countries that are relevant because of overlapping interests, to be clear. So US would get notified if say, a trading partner ended up at war.

Yagami913 said:

Do production method / quality of ships matter? or spamming low level ships will be the meta for more interest.
Right now it's just 1 per 10 but that might change before release.

Oglesby said:

From the twitter teaser we see that we get declared interests from rank and now naval bases.

Do we still get the implicit interests in locations that we or one of our subjects have land?
(Is Britain going to have interests everywhere between the implicit interests, rank based declared, and now navy based declared?)
You get 'natural' interests anywhere you or a subject owns a state that isn't a colony in progress.

bigrigg47 said:

What happens if you lose your navy or go down in rank? Will a dialogue pop up forcing you to get rid of one of your interests or will it just get rid of one automatically? And will it make us get rid of an interest immediately or will there be some sort of grace period to give us time to re-raise our interest cap?
You don't lose declared interests from ships being sunk, only from downsizing naval bases.

If you do lose declared interests then the last interest you declared will start to get removed, you get a notification, and have a period of 30 days to react by removing another declared interest and re-declaring he one that was automatically removed before the actual Interest goes away.

• 9Like
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
  • Notifications: You will only be informed about diplomatic going-ons between countries with which you have an overlapping Interest, and in states where you have an Interest in the region.
I don't like this. One of the things I enjoy about Paradox games is watching the world develop beyond my immediate influence, and receiving notifications about things that I'm not involved in makes it much easier to do that.

In other words, message settings are an important part of grand strategy games, and getting rid of them was a mistake.

• 27Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
Can't wait for the AI DD.

• 7Haha
  • 3Like
Reactions:
Love the idea of tying Interests to navy. Britannia rules the waves, of course.

My only issue with what's described is the notifications. I'd at least like the option to have notifications outside of Interests. If you play as the United States, you should probably be notified of the wars breaking out in Europe, even if you don't have the ability to interfere.

• 15Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Good evening a great dd as usual,perfect revisions of this mechanic.However, i have a few questions:
-On the screenshot we seen a +1 maximum declared interests on the builiding output tab.So since it is mentioned on the dd that it's based on the number of flotillas,my question is:Are this values related to navy production methods,so a more advanced navy production method will give more declared interests,or it's only based on the number of flotillas regardless of the production method used?If the latter,can we mod the number of interests by flotillas through country,production methods,state or building modifiers or in defines?
-Can the maximum declared interests be modded as a production methods,country or interest groups modifier or it's navy-specifc and rank-specific based-only?
Thanks for any replies about this.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Very great revisions. One question: will the naval base need to be in the strategic region a player is interested in in order for that player to be able to declare an interest in said region? Or is just having sufficient flotillas good enough?

For example, if I am France and want to declare a strategic interest in SEA, do I need a naval base near SEA or do I just need enough boats from any French naval base?

Reactions:
1. How many interests do you get at minimum, without navy and being a really low rank country?

2. Is it possible to cheese the system by simply having a small colony everywhere, thus not needing to declare interests?

• 12Like
Reactions:
I love these revision dev diaries, it's really interesting to see how changes are made and iterated. I like this change a lot, the Interest system now has so much more depth and it really gives a reason to maintain a fleet, even as a peaceful trading power.

• 4Like
Reactions:
I love this change. Thank you.
Makes the navy even more important, which to be fair it was. The army did the heavy lifting but the Navy was THE symbol of greatness. Why else did Roosevelt sent his fleet around the globe.
But with the navy getting more important, there need to be a change in the naval system quiet early. The unlimited naval range simply feels odd and maybe for some sort of hostile diploplay a flotilla needs to be stationed there.

• 5Like
Reactions:
I don't like this. One of the things I enjoy about Paradox games is watching the world develop beyond my immediate influence, and receiving notifications about things that I'm not involved in makes it much easier to do that.

In other words, message settings are an important part of grand strategy games, and getting rid of them was a mistake.
Doubling down even harder on this post, I LOVED being able to see nations do their big decisions and go through their unique events and that sort of thing. Even in the BIG Vicky 2 mods I loved to keep those settings on in spite of the massive pain that was seeing "Monthly Vassal Payment" garbage every single month. This is how I've genuinely learned about so much real history during moments I would never have learned about in school.

Please GOD, do not take away the ability to watch the world like this, I BEG of you.

• 2Like
Reactions:
There should be an option to manually enable and disable notifications for countries. I might not have a full interest in a region, but want to know how some country is doing. Maybe being a potential target of imperialist Europe, I want to know what Europe is up to, or just want to get notifications for a player led country in MP.

EDIT: I just don't feel it makes sense in a game where I can zoom out and look at the world anyway. Just can be tedious.

Last edited:
  • 6Like
Reactions:
I think this is a very solid starting point, and I guess it'll be expanded in the future.
Personally, I'd like to see something like "diplomatic corps" in game, which would work similar to how bureaucracy works (so with actual people being employed) - but we'll see.

• 2Like
Reactions:
From the twitter teaser we see that we get declared interests from rank and now naval bases.
Fcm3SmoXkAEZZX5.png

Do we still get the implicit interests in locations that we or one of our subjects have land?
(Is Britain going to have interests everywhere between the implicit interests, rank based declared, and now navy based declared?)

• 2Like
Reactions: