Victoria 3 - Dev Diary #48 - Unification

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.
Okay that's great but you forgot to answer the single most important issue: is it possible to form super chonky Uber Germany formed by Austria who decides to keep it's imperial posessions? Or you have to release non german lands?

Also, how is aggressive expansion handled in unification plays?
Austria is not required to release its non-German lands, but should be less likely to receive candidate support than Prussia due to having them. I'd like to add some way for an Austria player to pledge to release its non-German lands when it forms Germany and have an easier time receiving support, but it's a nice-to-have at the moment.

• 20Like
  • 7Love
Reactions:
It seems like the Franco-Prussian war isn't modelled here.
The Franco-Prussian War would be modeled as a German Unification War where France intervenes against Prussia, which is something that can definitely happen in this system.

• 13Like
  • 7Love
Reactions:
Good evening,very nice and i really like these new mechanics.However,question:
How moddable this new unification system will be ?Can we mod formation conditions,create new unifiables countries and so on?
Thanks for any replies about this.
Completely moddable! You can create all the major and non-major unifications you want, and specify which exact states and other requirements are involved.

• 20Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Are there other potential major unifications, or is it just limited to Germany and Italy?
At the moment it's just Germany and Italy but the system can easily be expanded to more formables.

• 7Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Nice DD! Will "unification" also be a war goal that can be added by a candidate to a diplomatic play created by another country?
The 'annex-everyone' Unification no, but some Unification have special annex country wargoals, such as Ethiopia, to allow for faster reformation.

• 7Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Will countries keep their state religion when forming a new country, or is that fixed for each unification? For example, will Germany be protestant when formed by Prussia and catholic when formed by Austria, or will it always be protestant?

Can countries lose a primary culture if one of their current primary cultures is not a primary culture of the unification country?

Also, are there other major unifications in addition to Germany and Italy and if yes, can we get a list of them?
You do not change primary religion when forming a new country but you can lose primary cultures, yes.

• 6Like
Reactions:
I will say the thing I find weird is the idea that Prussia would have to go to war with these North German minors in order to annex them and unify Germany if say France intervened on their behalf. Historically Prussia formed the North German Confederation at Bismarck's behest as an intermediary step to full German unification after the Austro-Prussian War. That step was in Vicky 2 but appears to be absent from Vicky 3 because of the introduction of these unification mechanics. Wouldn't it make sense for formable countries that have multiple primary cultures to allow a Unification Candidate that has won a National Leadership play to unify those states that share its primary culture before going for full unification? Or is that something we're seeing happen in the final screenshot since the targets of the Unification Play are all North German minors and it doesn't include any of the South German states?
Prussia does not have to go to war with any minor that supports them and can potentially form Germany without a single diplomatic play if every minor is behind them.

• 11Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
What would happen with the Unification Play if there are no viable targets to oppose? Say Prussia had every German Minor as a supporter and nobody was on the fence/against it?
Then Unification Play simply isn't necessary as they would get to count all the lands of all their supporters towards forming Germany.

• 17Like
  • 3Love
Reactions:
I'm unsure how I feel about this. There seem to be an awful lot of requirements around Major Unifications, and virtually nothing around Minor ones?

Major Unifications also don't seem very organic, or bottom up. There's nothing about people agitating for unification, or opposing it, or the reasons behind either choice - it's just buttons and ranks and diplo-mana? How do the pops figure into any of this? Why do the governments of German minors support being eaten? Is anything done to model the underlying social and political forces that pressured for / against the unification of states like Germany or Italy?
This is at least partially handled by AI, as the idea is that more nationalist IGs would be more inclined to support unification if in government. I agree that we can do more here though - such as have pro-unification Pops become radical if you refuse to get behind the formation of Germany.

• 53Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
So, if Austria falls out of GP status, can Germany annex it? How?
Yep, it becomes a valid target for Unification play if it stops being a Great Power.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Oh! Any chance we could get the Major Unification system for the Chinese Warlords? I'm assuming they have unique journal entries, but it seems like the whole idea of convincing other nations that YOU are the true Uniter of Germany/Italy/China would fit perfectly.
Right now China uses a different system with its own special plays but I do think this system could make sense to adapt for Chinese Warlord Era.

• 5Like
Reactions:
Is it possible to form the North (or althistorically South) German confederation? If so, how would it work?
These tags exist, we haven't integrated them into this system yet though.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Can the UK form Australia, Canada and South Africa as dependencies by decree?
There is special content for the formation of at least Australia and Canada.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Will countries somehow still exist as IGs after unification. Like a Bavarian wants more stuff IG after they united into Germany.
This is not something we will have for release. If we were to make such a system I don't think we would use IGs for it - more likely some kind of Federalism mechanic with (maybe even playable) administrative divisions, but that's all future mechanics ideas.

• 24Like
  • 23Love
Reactions: