• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Victoria 3 - Dev Diary #3 - Buildings

ThumbnailTemplate_1920x1080.png

Hello again everyone! It’s Thursday again, and that means that it’s time to talk about Buildings. Buildings are a core mechanic of Victoria 3, as it is where the Pops work to produce resources such as Goods. Buildings represent a wide range of industries, businesses and government functions, from humble subsistence farms to complex motor industries and sprawling financial districts. In this dev diary, we’re going to broadly cover the main types of buildings and their function in Victoria 3.

To talk about buildings though, I first have to mention states! States are a concept that should be generally familiar to anyone who’s played some of our other games such as Victoria II or Hearts of Iron IV - a geographic unit of varying size in which much of Victoria 3’s gameplay takes place. States are where Pops live and (more importantly for our subject matter) where Buildings are located and built.

The State of Götaland in Sweden
dd3_1.png

We will return to states more in later dev diaries, but for now let’s keep talking about Buildings!

Before we start on Buildings, something that’s important to note is that Buildings are just places where Pops can work and generally do not represent a single building - a single level of Government Administration, for example, represents the necessary buildings and infrastructure to support a certain number of Bureaucrats. Buildings always need qualified pops to work in them to yield any benefit, and an empty building is just that - empty and completely useless. This holds true even for buildings like Railroads and Ports that did not need Pops to work in them in Victoria 2.

Most buildings are directly constructed, but some (like the Subsistence Buildings below) will appear automatically based on certain conditions. When Buildings are constructed, the construction uses Pop labor and goods, and the costs involved will be subject to market forces.

But onto the different building types! First out, we have Subsistence Buildings. These are a special type of highly inefficient Buildings that cannot manually be built or destroyed, but rather will appear anywhere in the world where there is Arable Land that isn’t being used for another type of building. The vast majority of the world’s population starts the game ‘working’ in subsistence buildings as Peasants, and much of the game’s industrialization process is about finding more productive employment for your Peasants.

Peasants eke out a meager living in these Subsistence Farms, contributing little to GDP and taxes per capita
dd3_2.png

Another special type of building is Urban Centers. Like Subsistence Buildings, these are automatically created rather than built, with the level of Urban Center in a State being tied to the amount of Urbanization generated by its other buildings. Urban Centers primarily employ Shopkeepers and provide a number of important local functions that we will get into at a later point.

The Urban Center is where you’ll find most of your middle-class Shopkeepers
dd3_3.png

Next up we have Government Buildings. These are buildings that are fully funded by the state (ie, you!) and provide crucial civil services required for the smooth running of a Victorian nation. Examples include Government Administrations where Bureaucrats produce Bureaucracy for the administration of incorporated states and funding of Institutions, and Universities where Academics produce Innovation for technological progression.

Bureaucrats work in Government Administrations to provide Bureaucracy - the lifeblood of the government
dd3_4.png

The counterpart to Government Buildings is Private Industries. The vast majority of Buildings in Victoria 3 fall under this category, which includes a broad range of industries such as (non-subsistence!) farms, plantations, mines and factories. Unlike Government Buildings, Private Industries are not owned by the state but rather by Pops such as Capitalists and Aristocrats, who reap the profits they bring in and pay wages to the other Pops working there (usually at least - under certain economic systems the ownership of buildings may be radically different!).

Many of these buildings are limited by locally available resources such as Arable Land for agriculture and simply how much iron is available in the state for Iron Mines. Urban Buildings such as Factories however, are only limited by how many people you can cram into the state, simulating the more densely populated nature of cities. In short, there is no system of building ‘slots’ or anything like that, as we want limitations on buildings to function in a sensible and realistic way.

Several different types of Private Industries are shown below
dd3_5.png

Finally there are Development Buildings. These are often (but not always!) government buildings that distinguish themselves by providing vital state-level functions. A couple examples are Barracks that recruit and train soldiers from the local population and Railways that provide the Infrastructure other buildings need to bring their goods to the Market.

From left to right: Barracks, Port, Naval Bases and Railway
dd3_6.png

To finish up this dev diary I just want to mention that building up your country is meant to be more of a hands-on experience in Victoria 3, as this is absolutely core to the society-building aspect of the game and forms a major part of the game’s core loop. This naturally also means that we need to give the player the necessary tools to manage their buildings in a large empire, which may involve some form of autonomous building construction, though we haven’t yet nailed down exactly what form that would take (and whether it will involve decision making on the part of the investor class). Ultimately though, we want the player, not the AI to be the one primarily in charge of the development of their own country.

Well, there you have it. There is of course a lot in here (such as Production Methods) that will receive further explanation in the many more dev diaries we have planned, so be sure to tune in next week as I talk about Goods. See you then!

• 458Like
  • 204Love
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
I'm really happy to hear there will be no building slots. The more "organic" limit based on the amount of land/resources makes so much more sense and gives me much faith in the devs' desire to produce an immersive game.

Will we get a dev diary with a more in-depth look on how the various buildings work? The barracks, especially, seem rather mysterious in their functionality.

Also, I take it that buildings like Urban Centres upgrade automatically, as people promote to shopkeepers?

• 3Like
Reactions:
Can universities be privately owned, or will they always be public since they are government buildings?

Do ports have a building cap? It appears that they do in the screenshot. What about naval bases, which perform a similar function?

• 2Like
Reactions:
Many of these buildings are limited by locally available resources such as Arable Land for agriculture and simply how much iron is available in the state for Iron Mines
A question about this, which I assume we'll eventually get a dev diary on, but how exactly does the iron deposit thing work? Will the game handle the possibility of this amount of iron "expanding", for example, because of the discovery of new deposits in a region (or indeed the exhaustion of deposits in a region)?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Any system that relies on automatization i.e through Investors needs to be imperfect by natures, Investors need to be able to make mistakes and lose.

Which brings us to the crux really, player micro is always going to be the best.

That said I do hope they reconsider their position and give people the ability to delegate to some degree/add Investor AI for Capitalists.

Presumably they turn the extra 10 money into dividends, which is a thing.
Have you played stellaris have you ever created a sector the AI is notoriously bad at building things im find with it not being optimal but it needs to FUNCTION.

Reactions:
That is correct, as the Cash Reserves fill up more and more profits will be withdrawn as dividends.
Will pops savings be able to do things this time around I believe pops saving all there money with it doing nothing fed into the liquidity crisis in vicky 2 hopefully banks can invest somehow

Reactions:
Could buildings be modded to have multiple possible owners at once?
Say if half of the capitalists in the state were converted into a "foreign investors" pop type, then could a factory's profits be split between the two pop types?
This isn't possible in V2, which is saddening.

Reactions:
But onto the different building types! First out, we have Subsistence Buildings. These are a special type of highly inefficient Buildings that cannot manually be built or destroyed, but rather will appear anywhere in the world where there is Arable Land that isn’t being used for another type of building. The vast majority of the world’s population starts the game ‘working’ in subsistence buildings as Peasants, and much of the game’s industrialization process is about finding more productive employment for your Peasants.
While I think this is a reasonable way to represent subsistence farming early game, is there any way to improve the effectiveness of such buildings, or are they fated to forever be the Vic3 equivalent of clerks? I'm thinking mainly about how one might represent the traditionalist/conservative programs to modernize but maintain the peasant way of life in Eastern Europe and Asia.

Last edited:
  • 9Like
Reactions:
how quickly do buildings fill up with workers? If I build an iron mine will it take months to employ the workers or will it be instant? Also is the bar under each building employment?

So with resources like iron, will these be determined on the provincial level or state level? I'm asking because taking part of a state (ie as a treaty port) in a war might mean that places have iron production which shouldn't

• 3Like
Reactions:
Thanks for the DD!

Following the comments on capacities, would you entertain the possibility of giving the bureaucratic buildings a local function as well as a national one?

• 1Like
Reactions:
I understand the want to give the player control over buildings as a society builder but personally if your building a society especially one where it is lassie faire wouldn't you want your society to run like that.

That aside when it comes to automatic building construction I want this system to very robust and work well we all have horror stories from sectors in stellaris so I really hope any auto builder will work reasonable well cause microing the buildings in every state in a nation the size of the UK Russia or the US could really take the fun out of the game
I'm rather concerned about this as well. There are instances where states in this era "built" cities and infrastructure such as Tsarist Russia developing its mines and iron-works in the Eastern regions, and later Russia's rail network, the US postal service and arsenals, and of course the command-style economies that began coming into vogue around WWI, but by and large infrastructure was not built by the state, and when it was built by the state it was both crazy expensive and often inefficient.

Then there's the issue that the Stellaris style of making buildings and districts to enable jobs worked fine... for the first few planets, but scaled extremely poorly as a gameplay mechanic. I really hope buildings in Victoria 3 are not similar in that you have to build all of them across all your states, or leave them up to an incompetent automation script to mismanage. The old concept in Victoria 2 seems like a much better balance to me; the private sector handles the bulk of development, but in exceptional circumstances the government can step in and push certain things.

Reactions:
Hey! Dev Diary! Looks cool, I like that bureaucrats use stationary to do their work. Can't count taxes with your fingers!

I've got a question though: what happens when the cash reserves max out? Like if a factory is putting 10 pounds a week into its reserves what happens to those 10 pounds every week when the reserves are topped up? Thanks!
If cash reserves are full, that money is paid out in dividends instead.

• 47Like
  • 1Love
Reactions: