• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Victoria 3 - Dev Diary #26 - Peace Deals

16_9.jpg

Hello and welcome back to another Victoria 3 development diary! Last week we wrapped up our dev diaries on War, and now we’ll be bringing both Diplomacy and War to a close (for the being, that is) by talking about (appropriately enough) how to negotiate an end to one of your wars. We’re of course not done talking about warfare and will return to the topic at a later point, but for now, let’s talk peace.

So, let’s say you launched that diplomatic play to get the Dutch colony you’ve been eyeing for years thinking that you’d have it in the bag, all the way up until the French decided to back them up and you found yourself dragged into a bloody and costly conflict that you now want nothing more than to get out of. What do you do?

There’s actually two different ways of making peace in Victoria 3: Capitulating and Negotiating Peace. However, before we explain how these work, we first need to explain a crucial mechanic to all forms of peace-making: War Support.

War Support is a measure of the political will in your country to continue fighting in a particular war, and goes from -100 to +100. Each country will start a war with a high degree of War Support (currently always 100, though we’re considering having it start on different levels based on how politically unified your country is), which declines over time. The factors that govern how quickly War Support drops include:
  • Having your territory occupied by the enemy
  • Pops dying and being wounded in battle and from attrition
  • Internal turmoil in your country, for example because your economy is worsening due to the war
  • Whether the enemy controls their War Goals

Siam is in a bad way in this war, losing more than 11 War Support every single week. Unless they can turn things around quickly, capitulation isn’t far away. As with the previous war dev diaries, please note that any numbers/interfaces/tooltips shown are very much not final!
DD26_1.png

When their War Support hits -100, a country is forced to Capitulate. A country that Capitulates cedes all War Goals that are targeting them and gives up on all unpressed War Goals they were still holding. It’s also possible for most countries part of a war to choose to Capitulate at any time, even right after the war has broken out. This will immediately let them exit the war at the same cost outlined above, but may also incur a diplomatic penalty if the country capitulates early, especially if they had nothing to lose by doing so (as it would be seen as a cowardly betrayal of your allies). War Leaders are also able to Capitulate, and this doesn’t usually end the war, as they are only conceding War Goals targeting themselves and their subjects, and a new War Leader will be chosen to continue the fight on their side of the struggle. The only circumstance under which a Capitulation will end a War is if there are no War Goals left to fight over, which always results in an immediate end to hostilities.

However, it isn’t possible to simply attack a far-away country and force them to cede you distant lands simply by waiting for their War Support to tick down by itself. This is because any country that has a war goal targeting it which isn’t considered to be controlled by the enemy and still retains control of its own capital cannot have its War Support drop below 0. For example, let’s say that while playing as Brazil, you attack the Netherlands and demand they cede both Curacao and Guyana. You easily occupy Guyana but find that your navy is outmatched and you can’t land armies to take either Curacao or Amsterdam. As a result, you will be unable to force the Netherlands to Capitulate unless you actively choose to drop your War Goal on Curacao.

It’s possible to capitulate at any time during a war, even when it’s just started and War Support is at maximum - that it’s possible definitely doesn’t mean it’s a good idea, though!
DD26_2.png

So what then, of negotiated peace? This is quite a bit more complex than Capitulation, and can involve a whole host of countries that are part of the war. When making peace, countries involved in a war are split into three different categories:

War Leaders: This is the main participant on each side. War Leaders can propose peace deals and must ratify any proposed peace from the other War Leader in order for it to take effect.
Negotiators: This is any country that either holds a War Goal or has a War Goal targeting them and who are not one of the War Leaders. Negotiators must ratify any proposed peace deal from both the enemy and their own side in order for it to take effect.
Non-Negotiators: This is any country that doesn’t fall into the above two categories. They don’t play any active role in peace negotiations. Subjects whose Overlord is part of the war are also considered Non-Negotiators, as their Overlord negotiates on their behalf.

For a negotiated peace to happen, the War Leader on either side must first construct and propose a peace deal out of pressed War Goals. Unlike in many of our other Grand Strategy Games, peace deals in Victoria 3 isn’t necessarily just one side making demands - the War Leader can propose a mixed peace deal, in which War Goals are ceded from both sides. Once the War Leader is satisfied with the deal they’re proposing, they then send it out to both sides of the war for ratification.

This rebellion against Britain has turned into something of a brush war between the European Great Powers, with limited fighting in the colonies between Britain and its enemy France. War Support remains high, but if things take a bloodier turn both sides may find their populations quickly growing weary of the fighting.
DD26_3.png

That’s right - in order to have your proposed peace deal take effect, you need not just the enemy War Leader or even the enemy War Leader and Negotiators agree to it - all Negotiators on your own side must agree as well. This means that while you can try to cut a deal with your Dutch enemy to give you everything you want from them in exchange for selling out your ally Prussia, the likely answer to that from Prussia is going to be a firm and resounding ‘No’, at least so long as they aren’t truly desperate for a peace. However, if you’re willing to be fair about the whole thing and give up something of your own as well, they’re going to be more receptive to your proposals.

War Support plays a key role in determining what kind of peace deals the AI will agree to, with both their own and the enemy’s War Support factoring in: Even if their war support has dropped into the negative, the AI isn’t going to agree to a long list of demands from a country that is themselves a few weeks away from capitulating.

That’s all for today! Now that we’ve talked about Economy, Politics, Diplomacy and War, join us again next week as we cover a topic that touches on all of them - Technology!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 259Like
  • 136Love
Reactions:
This would still be a massive mismanagement of the war on your part since you've somehow managed to advance the British Isles front, which would already be receiving the same amount of supplies from India that are now still going to the front in London, but now are unable to defeat an enemy army which has *less* supply than it had before since it's no longer receiving supply from the goods production on the rest of the British Isles.
Okay, let's go with a concrete example then. Italy has a war goal for Malta who is under British Rule.
GB is allied to Mexico And Austria who joins in support for GB to get California, New Mexico, and Venice, etc. back.
Italy is allied to the USA.
Gibraltar belongs to Spain in this scenario, so no one has controls to the doors of the Mediterranean Sea.
War breaks out. Somehow the Italian armies aren't strong enough to defeat the Austrians and they have a stalemate but Italy has a spare army that they order to attack.
The Americans and British are on a stalemate with their navies and somehow the British AI/player decides to not leave any fleets defending the homeland.
The Italians have 2 navies ordered to support a naval invasion. 1 to the node where Malta belongs, 1 where one of the British Coast belongs to.
AI does a calculation and realizes that, for some reason, it's easier to invade GB homeland (even if conquering its totality will be another matter) than it is to conquer Malta.
Given what we know so far of how the system works. Such scenario is in fact, not implausible, and hardly the player's fault. (Except maybe for assigning a fleet to invade the UK without actually thinking that would happen).

That is the whole point that I am trying to make. Silly scenarios can and will in fact happen because for a tick, the AI decided something was easier than something else and pushed for that without any player's input.

Edit: Skycroft made me realize that you assign a general to a front and then you give him an order, so in the scenario above, you would actually need two armies assigned to "fronts" in Malta and the GB homeland. How does assigning to a front that doesn't exist yet actually works? You assign a general to attack or defend a sea node? That doesn't seem right.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
The 'there are only two buttons for war' meme has become so pervasive people are actually forgetting the additional buttons that are there, I see. I agree that the war system could use some more specificity in the orders you give your generals (mostly to handle very long continuous fronts like the ACW), but it's not nearly as bad as you seem to think.

You assign generals to Attack or Defend a Front. A Naval Invasion creates a new Front - two simultaneous Naval Invasions will create two new Fronts, and you decide which Generals go to which Invasion.
Well, yeah, so how is that Naval invasion front actually happens? You are right though, you assign a general to a front and then give him an order. The admirals, on the other hand, have an order to support a naval invasion on a given node. You are correct that you would have to somehow assign a general to a "front" that doesn't exist yet across the sea on that node, so how does that work? I don't think this has been fully explained yet, or if it was, it wasn't clear to me.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Okay, let's go with a concrete example then. Italy has a war goal for Malta who is under British Rule.
GB is allied to Mexico And Austria who joins in support for GB to get California, New Mexico, and Venice, etc. back.
Italy is allied to the USA.
Gibraltar belongs to Spain in this scenario, so no one has controls to the doors of the Mediterranean Sea.
War breaks out. Somehow the Italian armies aren't strong enough to defeat the Austrians and they have a stalemate but Italy has a spare army that they order to attack.
The Americans and British are on a stalemate with their navies and somehow the British AI/player decides to not leave any fleets defending the homeland.
The Italians have 2 navies ordered to support a naval invasion. 1 to the node where Malta belongs, 1 where one of the British Coast belongs to.
AI does a calculation and realizes that, for some reason, it's easier to invade GB homeland (even if conquering its totality will be another matter) than it is to conquer Malta.
Given what we know so far of how the system works. Such scenario is in fact, not implausible, and hardly the player's fault. (Except maybe for assigning a fleet to invade the UK without actually thinking that would happen).

That is the whole point that I am trying to make. Silly scenarios can and will in fact happen because for a tick, the AI decided something was easier than something else and pushed for that without any player's input
I'm pretty sure that's not how naval invasions or assigning generals work. It was stated that a naval invasion is a joint operation and you assign Generals to specific fronts, so you wouldn't be giving a General a generic "invade wherever" order, you would be ordering them specifically which naval invasion to participate in.

Reactions:
I'm pretty sure that's not how naval invasions or assigning generals work. It was stated that a naval invasion is a joint operation and you assign Generals to specific fronts, so you wouldn't be giving a General a generic "invade wherever" order, you would be ordering them specifically which naval invasion to participate in.
Yes, Skycroft made me realize that. I just fixed my post saying that it would need two armies then. One for Malta, one for GB homeland.
Still, what is not clear to me is how you tell a general to open a front that doesn't exist yet.

Reactions:
The question I asked last week and was told would be answered this week is:
If war & blockade is so expensive what stops the UK that has naval supremacy and control of all its war goals against France demobilising its troops, refusing to peace out and just wreck the French economy.

Holy shit, the first Paradox game with mixed peace deals, and wars aren't always TOTALEN KRIEEEEEEG as they are in every other game since... what, like Crusader Kings 1?All is forgiven for the previous dev diaries. Still a bit miffed that outside of diplomatic plays, there's no way to demand more land. It's a lot of fun to go to war over something tiny and after it ends up dragging on for a long time you decide to add more in order to make it worth your while. Its basic sunk cost fallacy. Maybe I'm reading it wrong but it seems like if you go to war over some tiny piece of land, and the enemy drags it out for years and years, you arent allowed to add more demands?

• 4Like
Reactions:
refusing to peace out and just wreck the French economy.
Capitulation, whether voluntary or through hitting -100 War Support, appears to be a unilateral action. You say "Ok, I'm beat, here's what you demanded from me." and that's it, you lose the things of yours (if any) that were on the table and you leave the war.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Capitulation, whether voluntary or through hitting -100 War Support, appears to be a unilateral action. You say "Ok, I'm beat, here's what you demanded from me." and that's it, you lose the things of yours (if any) that were on the table and you leave the war.
So the uk adds a war goal of conquer X and then doesn't capture it, so French capitulation can't go below 0.

• 1Like
Reactions:
So the uk adds a war goal of conquer X and then doesn't capture it, so French capitulation can't go below 0.
Wiz is looking at this. (Show dev responses ia your friend. Use it. Love it.)

"3) I'm considering adding it so that a war goal that a country is unable to occupy eventually gets automatically dropped"

Reactions:
Wiz is looking at this. (Show dev responses ia your friend. Use it. Love it.)

"3) I'm considering adding it so that a war goal that a country is unable to occupy eventually gets automatically dropped"
so you fake a siege on that Caribbean island every four months to keep the timer ticking.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Is there any thought to add things like dismantling empires as a CB? HPM in Vic 2 has a version of this system, and it can be used after researching certain late game techs. Its implementation is a bit clunky, but in practice it divides almost all their colonies between the victors, along with returning many cores. Perhaps not this severe, but I'm wondering how this peace deal system will deal with late game Great Wars. Adding two dozen german african colonies to a peace deal seems like it might be rather a drag.

They've already mentioned Cut Down To Size, which forces a target to give up everything they acquired in the past 20-25 years.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Still, what is not clear to me is how you tell a general to open a front that doesn't exist yet.
By telling him which state he should invade. He will open a new front there upon arrival.

Edit: As explained in this developer post:

Last edited:
Reactions:
so you fake a siege on that Caribbean island every four months to keep the timer ticking.
What do you mean by "fake a siege"? If you don't occupy it, you don't occupy it. If you do, then... congratulations, you accomplished your wargoal?

Also, if France isn't making any progress and it's costing them too much, they can always unilaterally cede your wargoal and leave.

Reactions:

That just means they don't automatically capitulate at -100 War Support. They can still voluntarily capitulate, as I understand it. Presumably if the hit to French economy from the blockade becomes too high to sustain, that is what they will do.

Reactions:
What do you mean by "fake a siege"? If you don't occupy it, you don't occupy it. If you do, then... congratulations, you accomplished your wargoal?

Also, if France isn't making any progress and it's costing them too much, they can always unilaterally cede your wargoal and leave.

That just means they don't automatically capitulate at -100 War Support. They can still voluntarily capitulate, as I understand it. Presumably if the hit to French economy from the blockade becomes too high to sustain, that is what they will do.
I'm concerned about a player vs ai situation rather than multiplayer. Do we really think the ai will voluntarily unconditionally surrender in a war they aren't really losing on the battlefield? Because that just opens up even more room for exploits - by say adding a bunch of war goals on prime territory at the start of the war and then having France give them to you for free just because you've sunk their navy and forced them to mobilise because they are at war.

Fake a siege for EUIV is to let it tick for one month so there is progress then pull back, or hold some of the necessary provinces but not all. Obviously with no armies the exact method of duping the system will change, but there will probably still be one!

• 1Haha
Reactions:
I don't really understand the threshold system of being stuck at 0% if the capital or wargoals are not controlled and I think it should just reduce the rate it reduces with, e.g. if no wargoals are occupied/achieved it ticks at 10th the rate as before or something like that. To me this just seems to encourage never-ending wars - and I really don't understand how the wargoal of receiving war reparations can be achieved in order for it to begin ticking? Other than that I really like the radicalism, casualties and everything else that is taken into account. I just think it would make more sense for it to be ticking but maybe at different rates according to which wargoals are achieved. Also it would make a trade-war or something like that possible by blocking trade to a country totally which in turn radicalizes the country's population making it drastically decrease war support because the population is suffering - even though the war goals are maybe not occupied.

Reactions:
Holy shit, the first Paradox game with mixed peace deals, and wars aren't always TOTALEN KRIEEEEEEG as they are in every other game since... what, like Crusader Kings 1?All is forgiven for the previous dev diaries. Still a bit miffed that outside of diplomatic plays, there's no way to demand more land. It's a lot of fun to go to war over something tiny and after it ends up dragging on for a long time you decide to add more in order to make it worth your while. Its basic sunk cost fallacy. Maybe I'm reading it wrong but it seems like if you go to war over some tiny piece of land, and the enemy drags it out for years and years, you arent allowed to add more demands?
Also CKII. Invasion CBs to just seize everything were vanishingly rare.

by say adding a bunch of war goals on prime territory at the start of the war
You suddenly find that you are a total international pariah, because you have somewhere in the region of 300 Infamy from making those demands.

Or your enemy backs down before the war even starts, and all you get is your primary demand.

Remember:

You cannot unilaterally declare war in Victoria 3. Every war arises out of a Diplomatic Play.

Reactions:
I'm concerned about a player vs ai situation rather than multiplayer. Do we really think the ai will voluntarily unconditionally surrender in a war they aren't really losing on the battlefield?

Why not? If you are blockading France for years on end, sending their economy to the ground, they will surrender eventually without a battle being fought, that's reasonable.

Because that just opens up even more room for exploits - by say adding a bunch of war goals on prime territory at the start of the war and then having France give them to you for free just because you've sunk their navy and forced them to mobilise because they are at war.

Keep in mind that the difference between this and other PDS games is that the main limit on how many wargoals you can add is the Diplomatic Play system, not how well you do in war. If you can make all those demands without having the whole world join with France (or can fight the whole world and win) and you can maintain a Blockade against France for years on end (which is, itself, not free! There are still costs associated with the navy, and hopefully casualties too), then you deserve whatever you can get.

But both of those things should be very, very hard.

• 9Like
Reactions: