Victoria 3 - Dev Diary #22 - The Concept of War

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.
Can a war end up with white peace? If it is costly, as it should I might want to end it as soon as I can, without even pushing my main demand
Yes, and wars can also end in negotiated peace with both sides taking and losing things - but more on that later!

• 231Love
  • 78Like
Reactions:
Well hopefully AI is leaps and bounds ahead of all other paradox titles by a significant margin if I am not controlling my own units.
An important thing to note that in Victoria 3, the warfare system isn't built around an AI having to control the sort of tactical moment-to-moment decisions you'd normally be doing as a player, so it isn't just units on the map with the AI maneuvering around and potentially making foolish decisions - everything is built from the ground up towards a more strategic form of warfare, where the blunders and moments of brilliance are strategic rather than tactical. You still have a considerable degree of agency in the outcome of your wars, it's just that the decisions you make are different than in our other games.

• 182Like
  • 67Love
Reactions:
So the crackpot theory was correct. What are provinces for, then?
Provinces still play an important role in warfare still as control over them is what determines the course of frontlines and the war, but more on this in the coming weeks.

• 63Like
  • 16Love
Reactions:
Wars that are ongoing at the start of the game (like the Carlist war) will always have the same outcome since all the preparation decisions have already been made?
The aim is definitely not for wars to just be deterministic based on starting conditions, no.

• 143Like
  • 12Love
Reactions:
Would be nice to have any details or screenshot other than "it won't be manual".
People will just have to speculate over and over without given specific.
Will next dev diaries cover more about war or that's it so far?
The next dev diaries will be going into detail on the mechanics of warfare, yes. For this one, we wanted to focus on the overall vision to explain our reasoning behind the departure from how warfare works in our other games.

• 135Like
  • 6Love
Reactions:
This thread will be TEMPORARILY closed so that the moderators can catch up, please be patient, it will re-open very shortly!

• 31Haha
  • 27Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
Thread has been cleaned up, please remember the rules folks! TL;DR: Don't troll, don't feed the trolls, report instead. Don't spam, don't insult other users, don't swear, don't comment on our moderation policy publicly. Constructive criticism of the products is fine, attacking the devs is not. Thread is now open again, but will continue to be closely monitored.

• 43Like
  • 3Haha
  • 1Love
Reactions: