Victoria 3 - Dev Diary #20 - Diplomatic Actions

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.
How will the Zollverein be handled? Having to pay upkeep for a dozen minors when apparently 25 is the minimum would cripple prussias diplomacy without having special rules/cases for that.
Edit: Even during the Bruderkrieg (prussia vs austria) the Zollverein continued as before, because it was so profitable for all members that nobody had any interest of stoping it.
Costs can vary and as always numbers are not final. The intent is for sure not for Prussia to have to use up all its Influence maintaining the Zollverein over all the Saxe-somethings.

• 32Haha
  • 18Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
it says here that tributaries and vassals are restricted to unrecognized powers, what happens if a nation becomes recognized and they have vassals or tributaries?
If a country changes country type, its subjects are automatically converted to new appropriate types of subjects (so a vassal would become a territory for instance).

• 42Like
  • 4Love
Reactions:
Will there be some sort of tab when we hover over the "They would not accept this proposal" message, telling us why it's still a no - and so making it clear what we can do to change their minds?
Yes.

• 52Like
  • 16Love
Reactions:
I am a bit confused: why are protectorates classified as 'non-colonial' relationships? Weren't protectorates some of the more common form of colonial relationships? What exactly do you guys define as 'colonial relationship'?
As there was no standardization of what different type of client states were called, we can't really map every type of subject name to every historical relationship. We chose to use Protectorate for the more generic subject type to due its widespread usage in the era.

Last edited:
  • 14Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
I saw “favor” in one of the pictures. Is it part of the obligation mechanics?

Why signing a trade agreement would means a favor? and who owe who?
Favors and Obligations are the same thing, they're being renamed from the former to the latter.

• 41Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
I just realized that there is no Guarantee Independence diplomatic action like in EU4 which is... concerning. There are historical examples of this in the nineteenth century, most important being the guarantee of neutrality for Belgium, Luxembourg, and Switzerland. In fact, the guarantee of Belgian neutrality via Treaty of London, 1839, played an important role in Britain's entry into World War I, as it was a signatory to that treaty as did Prussia, whose successor state German Empire violated it in invasion of Belgium.

Though, one issue with Guarantee Independence as a diplomatic action, as implemented in EU4, in application to treaties with respect to EU4 is that it could be easily revoked and almost instantly. I'm not sure if that would make any sense, though any countries could, by the nature of their own sovereignty, renounce or denounce a treaty that they had signed, though not always without consequences, especially the immediate kind.
As mentioned, the list here is not an exhaustive one and Guarantee Independence in some form on my todolist to implement, I'd just like to make sure that it's a little more than just something the guarantor can revoke at will though.

• 57Like
  • 4Love
Reactions:
So we know Dominions can be turned into Territories but can Territories be turned into Dominions? Can Dominions become Protectorates if they stop being colonies? I'm just thinking about the increasing autonomy Britain gave to many of its colonial subjects such as Canada, Australia, and New Zealand over the course of the mid-to-late 19th century and early 20th century until they became de facto independent in almost all matters except foreign affairs.
Subjects can start plays to get more autonomy or gain independence, and more autonomous subjects can even try to expand at the expense of other subjects of the same overlord (with the overlord able to take sides or stay out of it).

• 37Like
  • 21Love
Reactions:
Will the country that was tribute to two countries like Ryukyu be represented?

And I think there are some countries that were a protectorate of great powers but made tribute to the Qing dynasty.
There are currently no mechanics for dual overlords, no.

• 7Like
Reactions:
The screenshot says "take on debt", while the DD says "bankroll". Are those the same thing, too?
No, they are two different actions, as outlined in the dev diary.

• 11Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Will there be opportunities for Puppets to do diplomacy at least undercover? Modding aside, and I can see many opportunities to play around with those in regards to Ottoman and Russian subjects, I am curious as to how puppets would be able to handle diplomacy in Vanilla Vic3. Using an example from my Balkans thread and Serbia
which did unofficial diplomacy through the foreign consulates.
Subjects, including Puppets, have their own Influence which they can start their own Pacts with, manipulate Relations, etcetera. The precise nature of their subject relationship might block some of these interactions but generally the approach we've taken is to make subject nations as autonomously playable as possible without making your subjects too annoying when you're playing as the overlord. The rule of thumb is we want entering into (or being forced into) a subject relationship with a higher-ranking country to be a strategic medium-term choice rather than a death sentence.

Last edited:
  • 48Like
  • 23Love
Reactions:
If you can have a puppet give income, can it give other resources (i.e., prestige, "research"?)
In addition to the tribute some subjects must pay, subject nations also confer a portion of their Prestige onto their overlord. Since they also tend to be in their overlord's market they also supply goods, add to demand, provide a semi-mobile workforce, etcetera. There's currently no other transfers of resources planned but the scriptable Pact system makes it very easy to add, so not saying it's impossible.

• 17Like
  • 3Love
Reactions:
but the war declaration isn't a minor action. it's even more important than improve and damage relations. so if I would guess the violate sovereignty will be the new war declaration (that's unique to vic3)
This is where Diplomatic Plays come in and they are different from Diplomatic Actions :)

• 20Like
  • 6Love
Reactions:
I don't see Personal Unions being a thing under pacts. Off the top of my head during this time Norway(under Sweden), Finland(under Russia), Hannover(under Britain till 1837) Hungary(under Austria) and the Irish Free State(under Britain) were all personal unions. I guess they could fall under Protectorates or Puppets however this would obviously need some special representation in the Politics tab to show the multiple countries sharing a single monarch.
Personal Union is also a type of relatively autonomous "legacy" subject. Some PUs exist at start of game but you can't make new ones.

• 19Like
Reactions: