Victoria 3 - Dev Diary #15 - Slavery

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.
We know this is a sensitive topic, so Fair warning that Trolling and/or toxic comments will not be tolerated. Keep all comments related to the game mechanic
Think before posting.

Last edited:
  • 129Like
  • 10Haha
  • 9Love
Reactions:
Omg it's so amazing that diplomacy is near, I was dying to see it! :D
Just one question about slaves: I see proposed mechanics very well portrays laws and functioning of slaves in the new world. How about islamic world? Slavery was very widespread there, and slaves should perhaps be mostly treated as servants in wealthy houses.
Also, will Ottomans have slavery? In vic2 they had it abolished which I think isn't entirely historically accurate, as slave trade was present in Ottoman Empire at least till 50s, and slavery was functioning somehow in fact till the collapse of empire... Which slavery law category would Ottomans get?
Islamic countries are a mixed bag, some have Debt Slavery, some have Slave Trade, some have banned Slavery.
The Ottoman Empire starts with Slave Trade.

• 66Like
  • 9Love
Reactions:
Will there be an internal slave trade in Legacy Slavery countries? Will slaves have a price? I think this would help to capture a lot of dynamics around the expansion of slavery. Virginia plantation owners whose soil had mostly depleted (I know that isn’t a mechanic in game) had a strong economic interest in expansion because it kept the price of slaves high and thus allowed them to maintain their lifestyle by selling slaves to Planters on fresh cotton soil.
There will not be an internal slave trade system, at least not at launch. It is something we really do want to add in, because as you say it is an important dynamic to consider when trying to fully deconstruct the economic beneficiaries and political support for the institution of slavery. But it's one thing to represent that there is a slave trade going on through moving people around the world in response to laws and economic demand, and a whole other quagmire to actually represent people with price tags on them - in an economics-focused game - in a way that doesn't trivialize the topic. So we might go there eventually if we can find a good way to represent it, but for the moment we've accepted not being able to model this.

• 26Like
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
Can a country allow slavery in it's colonies but ban it in it's incorporated states?
The way this is modeled is via subject relationships, for example via Spain and Cuba. Slavery is outlawed in Spain but permitted in Cuba, which is a colonial subject of Spain.

• 68Like
  • 6Love
Reactions:
What roles can Slave pops fill? I notice in the image they can be laborers, but why does it not show an option to replace them as farmers too?
"Farmers" in Victoria 3 are Pops who have an expertise in growing crops, caring for cattle, and running a farm. Pops who do manual labor on a farm, harvesting and such, are either considered Laborers or Peasants. Both of those can be replaced by Slaves in countries where this is allowed.

To also answer an adjacent question, this is moddable - building types can decide which, if any, Profession it can use Slaves for. So while this is something we likely won't do in vanilla, it should be possible to mod in that the Clerk Profession in Urban Centers could also be carried out by Slaves, for example.

• 14Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
When we abolish slavery, would there be other consequences from this, say from the rich aristocrats, if u are not playing as the USA and this won’t have the civil war for example?
There is systemic fallout from banning Slavery for any country in which Landowners have gotten rich off it, and any country could potentially have a civil war around this issue. The American Civil War specifically has some more aspects to it, both in terms of flavor and mechanics. But a slavery-related civil war could happen anywhere or nowhere in a given playthrough.

Last edited:
  • 72Like
  • 8Love
Reactions:
On Serfdom:

Serfdom is modeled as a Labor Law for two reasons. First, it should be possible to have both Slavery and/or Serfdom. One should not be modeled as a "progression" of the other - it would make no sense for the United States to abolish Legacy Slavery in favor of Serfdom, and then everybody clapped. But we also don't want to have 6 different Slavery Laws, "Debt Slavery + Serfdom", "Slave Trade + Serfdom", etc. On the other hand, Serfdom is a progression in Labor Law. It's hard to imagine a country in which there are safety regulations to protect workers from being exploited in mines and factories, while some people are inherently tied to land.

Secondly, Serfdom and Slavery are two quite different beasts under our definitions. Serfs are Peasants tied to the land, and that land is owned by Aristocrats. They have limited mobility and income opportunities, and are forced to work hard for the benefit of their lord. This translates mechanically into a system where Peasants have lower Standard of Living and cannot easily promote to fill new positions in an industrializing society. Slaves, meanwhile, are people that are considered legal property directly. They have zero mobility and no economic self-governance at all, with their needs supplied at the whim of their owners. They also differ in that Slaves must be Discriminated populations, while Peasants do not have to be.

Mechanically both systems are represented, and they serve similar but fundamentally different roles.

Last edited:
  • 91Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Can a debt slave be sold to somewhere with Slave Trade?
In brief - and to also answer all the questions about "who would be enslaved if I instituted Slavery in my nation that started without it" - this is exactly how Slaves enter your country under Slave Trade, yes. Slaves only come into existence through Debt Slavery and the natural Pop Growth of Slaves under Slave Trade. If a country has no Slaves, and pass Slave Trade, they will start importing Slaves from countries with Debt Slavery.

• 11Like
Reactions:
If you abolish slavery, how will the former slave POPs act? Will it be difficult for them to gather wealth and reach the SoL levels of non-slaved POPs like what happened in the US?
They will likely remain Discriminated status on account of their heritage, and they will not have accumulated the same level of Qualifications as the rest of the Pops in the country while they were Slaves. So yes, they will almost certainly continue to be substantially worse off than non-discriminated Pops for a long time, especially until such time the country reforms their Discrimination laws.

• 19Like
Reactions:
I have a question about that last sentence. Does this also apply to debt slavery? Since debt slavery represents poor people in a society selling themselves into slavery, I'm not sure it quite makes sense for them to need to be part of a particular population to become enslaved. Or does that just mean that once they've become slaves, they become a discriminated population?
No you are right! Debt Slavery can enslave anyone regardless of Discrimination status. Discrimination matters for the importation of Slaves under Slave Trade, which tends to lead to countries with Slave Trade having large quantities of Slaves that are also Discriminated.

• 21Like
Reactions:
How is abolishing slavery handled when it is enforced as a peace deal demand? On one hand it feels wrong if you entered a civil war because you abolished it when having no choice, but on the other it opens the possibility of agreeing to abolish it in peace deal just because you actually want to.
It will anger all IGs that would have been angered by abolishing it through normal legislative means, which may very well lead to a civil war to bring back slavery (where the country that forced them to abolish it might have to intervene to keep slavery banned).

• 58Like
  • 4Love
Reactions:
1. Do countries with the "slave trade" law also accumulate slaves the way countries with "debt slavery" laws do? Or are the two methods of gaining slaves exclusive?
They're exclusive.
2. What determines when an enslaved pop moves from 1 state/building to another, be it domestically or internationally? How do I prevent all my own slaves from being shipped overseas, or alternatively, how do I increase the number of slaves that are being imported?
Buildings that has enough room to purchase Slaves will first try to draw from Slave populations local to the state. If none qualify, and the country has Slave Trade, they can cause a transfer of Slave populations from a country with Debt Slavery in a region where they have an Interest, which is something we'll talk about another time.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Victoria 2 was quite strange in that slavery was limited to representing just the transatlantic slave trade (as far as I remember). You guys say you want to do this crime against humanity justice but there's no mention of the slave trades of Africa and Asia. If these slaves are absent (again) then have you not erased their suffering from history? I'm trying to say this in the least disrespectful way as possible. Please clarify the situation. Thanks.

Indeed, if one was to pick up worldwide abolitionism as a goal, then this should be a truly massive project in Vicky 3. It should be much more than just abolishing slavery in the U.S. and Brazil.
As mentioned a bit upstreams, plenty of countries start out with Slave Trade or Debt Slavery, far from just the US and Brazil.

• 36Like
Reactions:
What I find more interesting is that the economic consequences will contradict the statements in the DD. IM DD it is said that one can take advantage of slavery if one wants to be an agrarian state.

But that is not true and historically it was not true either. A kind of symbiosis develops that can only be broken by political rejection. The use of slaves displaces the peasants into the cities. Where to use them in the factories.

I am pretty sure that I will not industrialize more slowly with Sweden, for example, if I introduce slavery there. But I will get politically in relation to the introduction of a number of laws and a strong land-ruling class that will block a number of reforms for me.
You're not wrong! Our statement in the DD does apply mostly to countries where a sizeable part of the population are already Slaves, and where there is plenty of Arable Land on which to expand Plantations. If you already have a large workforce and you institute Slavery, you are correct that any newly imported Slaves would just occupy those menial jobs the domestic population would prefer not to do anyway.

• 29Like
Reactions:
The way this is modeled is via subject relationships, for example via Spain and Cuba. Slavery is outlawed in Spain but permitted in Cuba, which is a colonial subject of Spain.
Update! I have been corrected on this by the QA team, because it's changed in the current build: Cuba has Slave Trade, while Spain has Legacy Slavery. The only Slave State in Spain is Puerto Rico.

• 9Like
Reactions:
what is the usual process of abolition like in Victoria 3? It sounds like slavery, with the possible exception of very limited Legacy Slavery (eg. like Spain's) is very beneficial for the landowners' clout which might make them a tough IG to knock down from politics. What methods are available to the player to subvert their evil aristocrats, or will it usually boil down to a civil war?
If you just try to get rid of it with no preplanning, it tends to result in civil war since the law has powerful supporters, yes. The subtle way of getting rid of it is to gradually erode slavery proponents' political strength (absolute and/or proportional) through other means, like reforming your Bureaucracy, expanding the voting franchise, and creating well-paying urban jobs to promote liberalism, until their influence has waned enough that you can push through legislation without a civil war. You can also gradually dismantle it by going through Legacy Slavery first, since several smaller political shifts over time are easier to control than one quick big shift. Finally, you can wait until the stars are aligned - for example, a powerful Abolitionist Political Movement that helps push the law through, and/or an Abolitionist Interest Group Leader that can draw on the political strength of a group typically neutral to the issue of Slavery to shift the balance of power.

• 10Like
  • 5Love
Reactions:
will different buildings result in different Slave pop growth rates? For example in the US South Cotton labouring had much higher mortality than tobacco and Slaves were regularly sold to the Deep South from tobacco growing areas. Sugar and Cotton at minimum should have lower, perhaps even negative growth rates I think, though if there's no system for internal slave movement I can understand why for balance reasons you might not.
Different buildings will have different Slave Pop growth yes, but not by us tying it to the building type directly. Rather, it's tied to the economy of the building - if the building is doing very well and its non-Slave workers are satisfied with their wages, the building will under certain circumstances increase the Standard of Living target for its Slaves, within a range from Starving to Impoverished. Similarly, if a building is failing economically its Slaves will be the first to suffer for it. Which means that for example, if a country relies on huge Slave-operated monoculture Sugar or Fabric production, and then a foreign country cuts an Import Trade Route for Sugar or Fabric making the prices of those goods drop, the plantations will make up for it by decreasing their Slaves' Standard of Living and thereby growth (and also increase their Radicalism to boot).

• 23Like
Reactions: