• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Victoria 3 - Dev Diary #0

dd0.png

Hello everyone!

Yes, you’re seeing this right. No, this isn’t a belated April Fools joke. After all these years, and all these memes, Victoria 3 really is confirmed at last. I’m Martin “Wiz” Anward, the Game Director of Victoria 3, and it’s my absolute pleasure to finally be able to reveal what I have been working on since 2018 (around the time I stepped down as Game Director of Stellaris).

So what, then, is Victoria 3? I can start by telling you that it’s most definitely a proper Victoria game - namely a game with a core focus on Economy, Politics and Internal Country Management and with the iconic Victoria Pop system not just included as a core mechanic but made even deeper than in either of its predecessors.

Though Victoria 3 is its own game and not an iteration on Victoria 2, our ambition is to create a worthy successor that stays true to the core values of the Victoria series while using what have learned over the last decade in terms of making games more accessible - so that we can use that accessibility to build an even deeper game for old and new players alike!

Our vision for Victoria 3 is to create what we call a ‘Society Sim’ - a game that is first and foremost about the internal workings of the 19th-century country that you are playing and how its society is shaped over the course of the game. Politics, Economy and Diplomacy are the three most important parts of the game - Wars are of course a part of the game (just as they were a part of the Victorian age), but Victoria 3 is *not* a wargame or a game about map painting.

Loading screen from Victoria 3 - “The Crystal Palace”
dd0_1.png

Oh, and before you start speculating crazily about what is and is not in the game: No, there is no mana!

Now, there is going to be a lot of dev diaries going forward to dig into the mechanics of the game, but to wrap up this dev diary I want to briefly touch on the four game design pillars that we have been following when designing and building Victoria 3:
  • National Gardening: Building, shaping, tweaking and evolving your nation is the first and foremost focus of the game. Events outside your country’s borders can naturally affect your country in significant ways, but the game should never rely on war to provide the main source of enjoyment.
  • Diplomatic Eminence: War is a continuation of diplomacy, and everything that is achievable by war should also be achievable through diplomacy (even if that diplomacy sometimes comes at the point of a gun).
  • Everything is Political: Politics is at the heart of Victoria 3, and all major features should in some way tie back into the Pops and Interest Groups that form the core of the game’s politics.
  • Era of Change: The Victorian era was a time of immense change politically, technologically, culturally, militarily and socially, and these changes should be reflected in the experience of playing a campaign of Victoria 3.

That’s all for this week, but we’ll see you next week, when we’ll be talking about the return of the Victoria Pop System and the introduction of Dependents.

We'll also have a lot more exciting news to share as we go, so make sure to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Discord, the Paradox Forums and the official Victoria 3 website to stay up to date.

• 349Like
  • 318Love
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
You lost me at "more accessible". Recent years have shown me that you mean fewer features and less complex features when you say more accessible. It simply means less fun. I have zero faith in paradox making victoria 3 a great game with that a "more accessible" goal.

• 10Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Very happy to see this game finally being confirmed! Looking forward to read the next development diary.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
  • 3Love
Reactions:
God is good

• 9Love
  • 2Like
Reactions:
coming from someone who constantly criticises publicly traded paradox: it actually looks.... promising?

• 18Like
Reactions:
Victoria 2 fans get -10 unrest, -10 consciousness. Paradox Interactive gains 70 prestige.
I've been waiting for this for so long, I have high hopes despite everything.

• 26Love
  • 12Haha
  • 5Like
Reactions:
Finally, i think i'll cry, please paradox, translate it to portuguese so your brazilian and other portuguese speaking fans can enjoy the full potential of this masterpiece

• 7Like
  • 4Love
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
"...making games more accessible - so that we can use that accessibility to build an even deeper game for old and new players alike!"

That's a medium amount of yikes from me doug. This is usually an euphemism for dumbing down.

• 3Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions: