• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #84: Čapek Feature Roundup (part 2)

Hello everyone and welcome to another Stellaris development diary. Today's dev diary is a continuation of the feature round-up in the 1.8 'Čapek' update that we started in last week's dev diary. In this one, we'll be talking about some new policies being added to the game. Everything mentioned in this dev diary is part of the free update.

Land Appropriation
The first new policy added is called 'Land Appropriation'. This policy is available to all ethics and governs whether or not newly conquered planets should have land appropriated from non-citizen species. If this policy is on, any newly conquered planet with less than 5 tiles of unblocked free space will have some non-citizen pops removed to clear way for citizen pops. These pops are either simply removed outright (simulating being driven into slums and fringe regions) or become refugees that will attempt to flee to an empire that will have them. Additionally, any planet that has land seized will get a temporary 'Land Appropriated' modifier that massively increases migration attraction and prevents non-citizen species from reproducing and migrating there while in effect. Non-multispecies AI empires will make use of this policy, meaning that even regular wars of conquest will generate refugees, indirectly boosting refugee haven empires.
2017_08_31_1.png

Pre-Sapient Policies
The policies for Pre-Sapients (previously Pre-Sentients, we have changed the Sentient/Sapient terminology in 1.8) have been expanded in 1.8. The following policies are now available for choosing how to deal with pre-sapients:
* Extermination: Pre-Sapients are quickly and efficiently exterminated to make room for your Pops.
* Livestock: Pre-Sapients are hunted and eaten, producing food for your empire, though this will slowly deplete their population. They can also be manually purged at will. Depletion is mostly done for balance reasons, as otherwise there would be no reason *not* to eat them.
* Tolerated: Pre-Sapients are tolerated and will generally not be interfered with, though they can be manually purged or killed off via terraforming.
* Protected: Pre-Sapients are protected from purging and worlds they are living on cannot be terraformed.
2017_08_31_3.png

Initial Border Status
A new policy has been added that controls the initial border status you have towards other empires: open or closed. This only affects the status of borders after establishing communications and has no effect on empires you have not contacted. It also does not prevent manual opening or closing of borders towards select empires.
2017_08_31_4.png

Robotic Workers
The last new policy ties into the changes to artificial intelligence policies discussed in dev diary 78 and is simply a blanket policy for whether robotic workers should be permitted to be built and maintained. If banned, all robot pops in your empire will automatically be disassembled.
2017_08_31_2.png

Manual Purging
Finally for today, also as a result of feedback given after dev diary 78, we have brought back the manual Purge button for organic pops as well, though its use is highly restricted. You can manually purge selective Pops only if they are Slaves, non-protected Pre-Sapients, or robotic Pops without citizen rights. The rules for which Pops can be Purged/Disassembled are fully moddable.
2017_08_31_5.png

That's all for today! Next week we'll continue the feature roundup by talking about changes to Ascension Paths and Megastructures and the addition of Awakened Empire Decadence.

I spelled out the reason in the OP. There would be zero reason to use Tolerated instead of Livestock if it had no downsides.

I think it would have been better to add some bonuses to the more friendly policies. After all a pre-sapient species is a rare opportunity for ethological and biological studies (out of millions of species we have just two universally recognized "pre-sapient" ones on earth, dolphins and chimps). Actually preserving them or simply observing them without interference should make their pop produce a bit of social science like the livestock ones produce food. We learned a fair deal of things about human social behaviour by studying primates.

I spelled out the reason in the OP. There would be zero reason to use Tolerated instead of Livestock if it had no downsides.

How about if "Tolerated" gave a minimal amount of unity or bioscience or something? Then you'd still have a viable choice. Including a depletion mechanism for replenishable animals when you can core mine a planet for minerals for centuries without ill effect seems slightly odd.
(If minerals will start having exploitation limits after which you can get no more, then never mind me ;))

(Edit: Fairly similar to the previous post, since I had "dev only" mode on the thread.)

Well im Happy that the manually purge button is back again. Mist him :). But one answer is in my opinion still not answered or asked anywhere. Or im just to blind to find it. Does Ethic attraction finally work again and does supress faction stop their grow and the grow of pops with this Ethic. It sucks that if im a Militaristic Empire with reeducation campaigns and so on on nearly all of my planets und surpressed the pacifist faction but new pops still get only pacifist, Militarist does not grow because they mostly get pacifist and dont change that even after nearly 300 years playime(ingame) with edicts and so on. That was the greatest (in my opinion) problem of 1.6 and the reason why i only play as a swarm because that Ethic problem is a hell of annoying.

Does that mean, that if you set the policy for a species on "purge" or purge them in generally (which is a long process afterall),
that you cant remove single pops if you want to make space for your "core pops"?
I've read it out of "Slaves, non-protected Pre-Sapients, or robotic Pops without citizen rights."
So if you want to purge a planted you conquered while not loosing it, so you have to have some own population there, you have to use that immigration edict or make the "purged" civ slaves and purge them manually? What if you are egalitarian xenophobe? Does single purge cost sth like manual immigration/ transfer pop?

Everything sounds just like things that have been requested and the addition of the purge button, and it's associated requirements, shows that you have definitely been listening and I'm glad to see a nice halfway point. All of this stuff is welcome. I have gotten my money's worth in playtime so I guess I can't complain too much, but it has that air about it. The 'if I stopped playing and came back in a year, it would probably be way better than dealing with incremental, and sometimes experimental, updates.' Who am I kidding, I enjoy that part as well. Still, I can fantasize about the end, can't I?

No fantasy in sci-fi!!!

:p

Evidently a private joke. ;)

The rise of dungeons and dragons in my old science fiction section of the book store still pisses me off.:mad:

It was a friendly poke at Hyomoto.
Still, I can fantasize about the end, can't I?

Evidently a private joke. ;)

The rise of dungeons and dragons in my old science fiction section of the book store still pisses me off.:mad:

It was a friendly poke at Hyomoto.

Ah. Nevermind then! :D