• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris - Dev Diary #82: Synthetic Dawn Music

Hello everyone and welcome to another Stellaris development diary! This time I'm going to give the word to our very own composer, Andreas Waldetoft, who will be talking about new music in the Synthetic Dawn Story Pack.
2017_08_17_4.png

I have once again been given some time to work on Stellaris, which always has been something very inspiring for me. There is so much freedom in writing the music for this that I never run out of ideas. For me, it is not the harmony or melody that is the hard part for Stellaris, it is finding the right sound and synth for the job.

For Synthetic Dawn I wanted to have the focus on simple synthetic sounds that would sit in the front seat throughout the songs. Some would call it a retro feeling with that 80-90’s game soundtrack kind of feeling, with my own style blended in. Musical lines that keeps changing more in tempo, dynamics and shapes rather than in musical harmony.

I did not however want to change the focus and soul of what has become the essence of Stellaris music so that it would sit wrong with all the other tunes that is in the game now. There is still similar musical language and ethereal sounds that we have heard before.

In total there are 3 new tracks, totaling ~18 minutes of music. Here is one of them, called 'Synthetic God' for your listening pleasure:

That's all for today! Next week we'll be going over a number of smaller changes coming in the 1.8 'Čapek' update, including the rework of Core Sector Governors and changes to democratic elections.

Last edited:
Everything is better with power metal.

The titan was from leviathans.

Oh, right. Then I cannot recall to have liked any Music from Utopia xD

That's all for today! Next week we'll be going over a number of smaller changes coming in the 1.8 'Čapek' update, including the rework of Core Sector Governors and changes to democratic elections.
Hm. If we're past the music DD now, and the next one will be about smaller things... It shouldn't be long until the pack + 1.8 comes out.

Core Sector Governours sounds like only one governour for the entirety of all core worlds.

Democratic elections really need changing by now. I hope that we'll see factions having relations with eachother, and depending on those the candidates each faction puts into the election will gain more votes from other factions too. That would be interesting, though maybe problematic at game start when we don't have many factions yet.

Oh, right. Then I cannot recall to have liked any Music from Utopia xD
I only really dislike Utopia's title music. The one you hear while the game is starting. That's the only track in the entire game that I've turned off.

This track is brilliant. The increasing tempo was an insane backdrop while I was playing PUBG..! Didnt expect it. Looking forward to the DLC. Def the best DLC pacakages from paradox. Dont tell your boss Wiz

Next week - small changes.
Two weeks from now - full patchnotes.
Two weeks from now plus few days - "RELEASE THE PATCH!"

Next week - small changes
Two weeks - full patch notes
Three weeks - patch hits
Three weeks + 1 hour: community discovers that patch accidentally makes it so that colonization doesn't work, construction ships explode when building mining stations, and pops always eat each other for some reason

Nice. I'm really waiting for this patch, been holding myself from playing Stellaris until it is released, because most likely old savegames won't work with the new version.

small suggestion/idea, when colonising planets i sometimes forget to randomise the name to get an appropriate planet name, thus causing them to be blah-blah prime etc. would it be possible to add a randomise name button to the rename section?
small thing i know, but it gets frustrating for me who has little imagination when it comes to planet names to have to re-colonise planets just to randomise their name

You had me at 80s & 90s, but I'm a bit sad there's only 3 new tracks. Oh well, loop time.