• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris - Dev Diary #82: Synthetic Dawn Music

Hello everyone and welcome to another Stellaris development diary! This time I'm going to give the word to our very own composer, Andreas Waldetoft, who will be talking about new music in the Synthetic Dawn Story Pack.
2017_08_17_4.png

I have once again been given some time to work on Stellaris, which always has been something very inspiring for me. There is so much freedom in writing the music for this that I never run out of ideas. For me, it is not the harmony or melody that is the hard part for Stellaris, it is finding the right sound and synth for the job.

For Synthetic Dawn I wanted to have the focus on simple synthetic sounds that would sit in the front seat throughout the songs. Some would call it a retro feeling with that 80-90’s game soundtrack kind of feeling, with my own style blended in. Musical lines that keeps changing more in tempo, dynamics and shapes rather than in musical harmony.

I did not however want to change the focus and soul of what has become the essence of Stellaris music so that it would sit wrong with all the other tunes that is in the game now. There is still similar musical language and ethereal sounds that we have heard before.

In total there are 3 new tracks, totaling ~18 minutes of music. Here is one of them, called 'Synthetic God' for your listening pleasure:

That's all for today! Next week we'll be going over a number of smaller changes coming in the 1.8 'Čapek' update, including the rework of Core Sector Governors and changes to democratic elections.

Last edited:
IMHO the whole soundtrack for a game should be made in same style, so if you deep in game you won't notice the track changes. And by the way: Stellaris is in the club of very few games where I don't turn music off.

I didn't mean to the game soundtrack, I meant into nothing beat old 80s-90s retrosynth, I was quoting someone for a reason. :confused: Game soundtrack is perfectly fine.

Sounds wonderful!

So....I assume that a DD about music indicates that we are close to see a release date?
(PleasePleasePleasePleasePleasePlease)

That and the next DD will be minor things. Means that they're running out of big content to DD about, which again implies they're closing in on the codefreeze (which predates the release).
To be fair, I was half-expecting a release date reveal, especially in tandem with the Skyline Concerts thingy (whatever that is), but eh.

Back to the topic:
The song certainly hits the theme of Stellaris, sounding like a synthethic remix of the original themes.
I mean, I care more about actual gameplay then background themes I may mute in favor of my own winamp playlists... but it's something.

Says at the top it's for the story pack, so dlc.

EDIT: That track is AMAZING! Liked it at the start but the increasing tempo is what made it! Clearly you have mastered that most ancient of instruments: the synthesizer.

I had the same thought when the tempo went faster, that made for a nice change :)

...including the rework of Core Sector Governors and changes to democratic elections.

Please let it be that planetary governors are being changed to system governors, and that democratic elections are no longer about the stupid mandates (or at least the mandates aren't stupid). I'm tired of deleting mines and/or research stations before each election when I'm low on influence.

Awesome track! It reminds me of Vangelis, which is of course a very good thing.

Also, am I weird for being excited for the list of small changes? Many small adjustments may amount to great gameplay effects!

Amazing music as always, @Jazzhole ! When the speed increased...incredible.:eek:

Hmm... I wonder if the soundtrack DLC will be updated to include this new music.

It's not like they forget to update the soundtrack DLC each and everytime they add music to the game or anything...

Music is very important, but... Don't you think "Science Officer" and "Admiral" titles for machines are inappropriate? Specifically, I mean these positions named in several game menues and events. Also, cybogs need to look like cyborgs, with implants and signs of conversion. For sake of immersion.

Also, I think Rogue Servitors should have non-military ways of taking other empire planets... Like swaying border worlds to Servitors' own Empire because of high living standards and promise of easy life for people and their children and children of their children. Clearly, they should be pacifists of Machine world. And so their ways of expansion must be different. Robotic armies and fleets must be used primarily for self defense (and, as such defense of newly joined swayed worlds from their old masters).

EDIT: That track is AMAZING! Liked it at the start but the increasing tempo is what made it! Clearly you have mastered that most ancient of instruments: the synthesizer.

exactly my thoughts

"D'aaawwww! Who's a good little bot? Who iiiiiis? You are! Yes you aaare! Are you standing on your little chair little boooot? Aww! So tiny, so cuuuute!"

*cough*

"Ooops... Sorry, my instincts took over. Open comms to the Tebrid. On screen!"

"...w... wh... what do you MEAN they're already open??"

*eargasm*

and changes to democratic elections.

So more mandates? Stellaris is far too partisan these days, tensions are so high between the build mining stations party and the build research stations party that they cant get anything done.

Dear Mr.Waldetoft

First of all i want to be clear about this: I dont want to sound like i am disrespecting you or your work. You are a creative mind, and as i imagine you put hard work into your creations. After all it is WORK and it requiers your EFFORT and DETERMINATION to be created. I am just trying to help to make sure that the hardo work doesnt go to waste.

I feel like you are holding back, i feel like you dont have that complete creative freedom that you praise in the dev diary. Lets face it, almost all the songs of this game have the same feeling. FEELING. Thats an important word! What is music? I tell you what is music in my opinion: Music is when you take an emotion and creat sounds out of it. So far the only emotion you captured with your music is wanderlust. In the original soundtrack the songs sound alaike because that's it, that's the onyl emotion you tried to capture. And you did it well! But when thats the only thing that comes through your music it gets boring. Then Utopia came and i had my hopes up. Then quickly listened to the music and i was sad. Nothing new, just the same old music, until i found "The imperial Fleet". That was your moment to shine, a sense of pride filled me as my imperial fleet flew faster than light towards the front lines of the galactic war while this piece played.

For this synthethic expnasion i was hoping that you create something powerfull and futuristic something that screams technological superiority. Something aggressive and arrognat. It would definitely fit the genocidal robots theme.

Something like this:

Or this:

I know you can shine, and create something memorable, and i wish you the best of luck in the future.