• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello everyone and welcome to another Stellaris development diary. Now that the 1.7.2 update is out, we can officially start talking about the next update, which has been named 1.8 'Čapek'. This update will include the reworked AI crisis and other changes to crises outlined in Dev Diary #72. More information will be forthcoming in future dev diaries on the exact nature and release date of 1.8, but for today we'll be going over some changes and improvements to Habitability and Terraforming coming in 1.8.

Habitability Changes
Ever since the changes to the habitable planet classes and habitability back in Heinlein we have continued to discuss habitability, and in particular, the frequency of habitable worlds in the galaxy. A general feeling among the designers has been that habitable planets are too common and do not feel special enough, but that reducing the base number of habitable worlds wasn't really feasible while most empires only had access to colonizing a third of them at the start. We also felt that the sheer abundance of habitable worlds that become available to you when you do achieve the ability to colonize/terraform other climate types also meant that there is little pressure to expand your borders - not when you can triple your planet count simply by utilizing the planets already inside your borders.

For this reason we've decided to make a number of fundamental changes to habitability. First of all, the habitability at which Pops can live on a planet was reduced from 40% to 20%, meaning that by default, most species will be able to colonize most habitable worlds in the galaxy from the very start. We have also changed the actual effects of habitability: Rather than acting as a cap on happiness, it now acts as a modifier on it (in addition to affecting growth, as before), with each 10 points of habitability below 100% reducing happiness by 2.5% (so at the base 20% habitability, a Pop would get -20% to their happiness). This means that while low-habitability planets are possible to colonize, it may not be a good idea to do so unless you have ways to compensate for the negative effects of low habitability.
OcmNsiP.png

With these changes, we have cut the base number of habitable worlds in the galaxy in half. For those that prefer to play with more (or even fewer!) habitable worlds, there is of course the habitable worlds slider in galaxy setup as before. Overall, the changes should result in habitable worlds and terraforming candidates feeling like more significant finds in the early game, and contribute to mid and late game friction as empires run out of worlds to colonize inside their borders.

Planetary Deposits
Along with the change to habitability, we have also changed the way resource deposits are generated on habitable worlds. Rather than all habitable worlds having the exact same chance to generate the different kind of resource deposits, we have now broken it up a bit by climate as follows:

Wet Climate planets (Continental, Ocean, Tropical) are more likely to generate food and society research deposits.
Frozen Climate planets (Arctic, Tundra, Alpine) are more likely to generate mineral and engineering research deposits.
Dry Climate planets (Desert, Arid, Savanna) are more likely to generate energy and physics research deposits.
Gaia planets are more likely to generate mixed deposits and strategic resources.

Of course, this does not mean that you will *only* find those types of desposits on such planets - it simply means they are more likely to be found there.
2017_06_15_1.png

Terraforming Interface Improvements
Also coming in 1.8 are a couple changes to improve Terraforming and Terraforming Candidates. First of all, we've introduced a concept called 'significant planetary modifiers'. This is a flag (accessible to modders) that can be set on any planetary modifier, and will result in that planet appearing in the Expansion Planner even if it not of a habitable planet class. For now, the only significant modifier is Terraforming Candidates (such as Mars), so you should no longer find a Terraforming Candidate only to forget which system it is located in, but we expect to make more use of this functionality in the future.
2017_06_15_3.png

We also spent some time cleaning up the Terraforming interface in general, hiding the button for planets where it is never applicable (such as non-Terraforming Candidate barren worlds) and improving the sorting and style of the actual terraforming window.
2017_06_15_4.png

That's all for now! Next week we'll be talking about some significant changes coming in the area of genetic modification.

Last edited:
Sorry if I was a bit brash there. Every single dev diary there's always several posters who rush to exclaim their disappointment that the dev diary isn't actually about something else, and it gets a bit tiresome.
I'm with WIz here

@Wiz I am concerned about this planet tile change. As somebody already said: you go militarist to spam ships = you want as much minerals as possible so you HAVE TO go for frozen climate by default? This is a bit strange to me tbh.
Now you can say if this is not very significant then well, thats not really changing or adding anything to the game.
But if this change can be felt and is somewhat significant, Im not sure how I feel about it. Well of course I guess we will have to see but still ,im concerned a bit.
Frozen climate militarist empires everywhere hmmm.....

But this way what's adaptive better than communal? it costs more and have the same benefit and less on homeworld. I like the idea of specializing things even more with home planet type. However I want to see a detail in each and every type of world. Tomb world is a devoid of resource right?

Nice! Your willingness to tweak core mechanics speaks volumes about your commitment to excellence. I think you guys nailed it with your assessment of keeping early game planet count about the same, but drastically lowering the total planet count in the galaxy. I'm really looking forward to trying a new campaign with the changed habitability, and whatever else you guys have in store for us. Thank you for continuing to work on core mechanics that aren't quite there yet!

I do like the flavour behind the linking resource type to climate type, but with resources currently being quite imbalanced in favour of minerals, I don't think its a good change yet. Now if the patch also brings better ways to use excess energy or food, I'm all ears...

Honestly the change to resource distribution really only limits your choices. I mean who really wants a planet with lots of food? Food rarely is an issue. In particular for slavers and people with robots. Please dont take away my freedom to choose any planet I like.

Edit: And yes if yoh can minmax of course you will. And it was really nice to be able to choose freely. Quiet frankly its the most fair if everyone gets the same resources

Last edited:
But this way what's adaptive better than communal? it costs more and have the same benefit and less on homeworld.
Oh. Really. Traits cost must be changed also. i forget about this.
And maybe traditions, and also teraforming will be not so wanted, because for example - slavers dont care how theyr slaves lives and now one minerals-race can be settled anywhere except master race climate type. Think about syncretic evolution... Oh.

But i still like "all planet for everyone-but planet are rare". It give to habitats and ring-world more price.

Nice work, like the addition of diversity.
One question though: Are the basic numbers for habitability for pops (40%/60%80%) and traits (-10%/+10%/+20%) stay the same? 'cause then you'd never have less then 30% habitability, unless RNGesus gives you some bad modifiers on your neighbouring planets. Also how does this influence Hive Minds? Do they retain the 10% habitability bonus?

Generally Pops won't migrate to low habitability worlds still, but they won't migrate away either unless forced away (<20% habitability) or the planet is getting full.

By that do you mean the the current migration is not intended ? As right now it is exclusively when full. Personally I miss a more dynamic migration, right now it take decades before there is any migration at all.

This isn't really on-topic, but could you add 'time until growth' to the pop growth pop-up? It currently (unless this has been changed in today's patch, in which case thanks and please ignore me) just shows the current growth points stockpile of the pop, the rate of increase, and the number needed for the pop to be complete. My mental maths is slightly slow, and it gets confusing when I try to compare different planets.
As always, thanks for making such a good game.

Honestly the change to resource distribution really only limits your choices. I mean who really wants a planet with lots of food? Food rarely is an issue. In particular for slavers and people with robots. Please dont take away my freedom to choose any planet I like.

Edit: And yes if yoh can minmax of course you will. And it was really nice to be able to choose freely. Quiet frankly its the most fair if everyone gets the same resources

Depending on how much likely/less likely the resources are food may become more of an issue. At least enough to keep you from settling mineral rich worlds exclusively.

While I mostly like the changes to habitability (because I agree with the issues presented, or at least the one about habitable worlds being too common) I am worried that this will make the point of increasing habitability too small for those that don't have to worry about happiness (such as hive minds). Now they have absolutely nothing apart from a certain growth modifier to stop them from spamming colonies everywhere (and by the way I am not actually that much against the idea that improvements in technology might be necessary for you to start colonizing some worlds in your empire, makes it a mid/late-game achievment to look forward to). On a similar note I hope that you have made it so that changing a species climate preferrence actually has a cost.

Any change to border growth/projection? You keep banging this "fewer habitable worlds" drum, but nobody wants their empire's borders to look like a series of circles with huge gaps between them.

Just a slight warning. Changing the way terraforming works, when it appears, etc., and changing the number of habitable planets result in different income of energy and minerals, and this directly affects whether an empire can or cannot fight off the end crises.

I think the devs should also think about that aspect of the game, if they haven't already. But, overall the changes don't seem too bad, I like the latest changes to habitability and happiness.

Any change to border growth/projection? You keep banging this "fewer habitable worlds" drum, but nobody wants their empire's borders to look like a series of circles with huge gaps between them.
I thought about it too, but wasn't we promised with a new System claiming mechanism that supposed to address it? Or it was in "far future" plans?