• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #70: The Adams Update (part 1)

Hello everyone and welcome to another Stellaris development diary. Today's dev diary is a highlight of a few things coming in 1.6 'Adams', a bug-fixing and quality of life-focused update that we are currently working on. We can't tell you the exact release date of Adams yet, only that it won't be a very long wait. Since it's not a major update, it's also not expected to break saves from 1.5 'Banks'. There will be no paid DLC accompanying Adams, so everything listed below is either free for everyone or only requires a previously released expansion. We wanted to make sure we had time for as much bugfixing and smaller quality of life tweaks as possible, so don't expect any major features to be part of this update!

Ruined Megastructures
One of the things we were hoping to have time for in 1.5 'Banks' that ended up being cut for time was having ruined and repairable megastructures in addition to the ones you can build. This will now be part of the Adams update instead. Once Adams is released, you will be able to find ruined versions of all the different types of megastructures in a variety of systems while exploring. Claiming these systems will allow you to repair these ruined megastructures and restore them to full functionality. Repairing a megastructure is cheaper and faster than building a brand new one, and also doesn't require any Ascension Perks, only the Mega-Enineering technology. Ruined ringworlds that existed previously (such as the Cybrex homeworld and the ones owned by the Keepers of Knowledge) are also able to be repaired, and will be able to be restored even for players that do not have the Utopia expansion. Utopia is however required to find and restore the Science Nexus, Dyson Sphere and Sentry Array.
2017_04_27_1.png

Sector Taxes & Stockpiles
Another addition to Adams is a few more tools for managing your sectors' economy. As of 1.6 you will be able to set taxes for Energy and Minerals separately, and we've added a new 'Drain Stockpile' interaction that allows you to seize 75% of a sector's stockpiled resources at the cost of 100 influence. In the event that you are fighting in a defensive war, this cost goes down to 25 influence, allowing you to use rich sectors as a resource reserve for an unexpected war declaration. Finally, we've added the ability to feed your sectors 1000 resources at a time through CTRL-clicking.
2017_04_19_1.png

New Room Backgrounds
While the code and content design team have been busy with fixes and improvements, the art time has not been idle either. As part of the Adams update, we've created 15 new room backgrounds themed around the various AI personalities. Randomly generated empires will use the background appropriate to their personality, adding flavor and allowing you to more easily tell the Slaving Despots from the Federation Builders at a glance. All 15 rooms are naturally also available when designing an empire, so if you really want your pacifist xenophile egalitarians to conduct diplomacy in a room surrounded by alien skulls, we have you covered! In addition to the player-usable rooms there are also 4 new rooms for the Fallen/Awakened Empires that are designed to suit their unique aesthetics.
2017_04_25_1.png

2017_04_20_1.png

That's all for today! Next week we'll continue talking about the Adams update, so stay tuned.

Wheter it is newly build or repaired, there should only be 4(four) Habitable Segments on a Ringworld.
Sanctuary already has 4 Habitable Ringworld Segements.

So how does repairing a Ringworld Segment to be Habitable does NOT have to do with Habitable Ringworld Segments already existing?

Nobody ever said that, read again. It was all about turning a damaged segment that is one of the two uninhabitable classes into the undamanged version of these classes.

Before you missunderstand it again:

Ringworld (Tech Damaged) pc_ringworld_tech_damaged -> Ringworld (Tech) pc_ringworld_tech
Ringworld (Seam Damaged) pc_ringworld_seam_damaged -> Ringworld (Seam) pc_ringworld_seam

SO AGAIN: It has nothing to do with the habitat segments, never had.

Last edited:
Wheter it is newly build or repaired, there should only be 4(four) Habitable Segments on a Ringworld.
Sanctuary already has 4 Habitable Ringworld Segements.

So how does repairing a Ringworld Segment to be Habitable does NOT have to do with Habitable Ringworld Segments already existing?
Oh for the live of... We're not talking about the habitable segments!
I'm basically talking about spending resources to turn an unihabitable damaged segment to an unihabitetable non damaged one, purely for aestetics. Because frankly when I move my capital there why would I leave it in disrepair?

Nobody ever said that, read again. It was all about turning a damaged segment that is one of the two uninhabitable classes into the undamanged version of these classes.

Oh for the live of... We're not talking about the habitable segments!
I'm basically talking about spending resources to turn an unihabitable damaged segment to an unihabitetable non damaged one, purely for aestetics. Because frankly when I move my capital there why would I leave it in disrepair?
NOW you are making sense. You mean the seam and scafholding segments.
The Filler Segments.
pc_ringworld_tech and pc_ringworld_seam

I was afk for the last two hours and thought that you might have meant something like that. The simple answer would be that the non-habitable segments next to the a repaired habitable section would be repaired as well. There is already a 2 segment gap between habitable sections.

Here is what the Devs or a modder would have to do:
1. Divide all Ringworlds into "Quadrants"
2. Give all Ringworlds Segments in a Quadrant a planet Flag. Like "Ringworld_Quadrant_A" or something. Naturally the Habitat and the Segment right and left of it.
Do this during creation (Galaxy Setup or building by Default Empire). A bunch of System Initialisers have to be slightly modified.
3. If/while a Habitable section is restored: Figure out wich Quadrant Flag it has.
4. Turn all the Filler Segements with the same Flag in the same System from their destroyed into a non-destroyed version.

The only question is: What would happen with the Resources you may be getting from those Segments? Would you loose your ability to mine them for Engineering and Living Metal? Could this be a fair tradeoff for having a fully habitable Segment?

Awesome update for the sectors - but will there be an option to have a montly FEED of resources TO them. For example I currenly have a dedicated mineral and a dedicated research sector. These have negative 300 energy in them per month total while I am making 700 surplus per month. It would be amazing if we could enable a monthly feeding mechanism to them.

Awesome update for the sectors - but will there be an option to have a montly FEED of resources TO them. For example I currenly have a dedicated mineral and a dedicated research sector. These have negative 300 energy in them per month total while I am making 700 surplus per month. It would be amazing if we could enable a monthly feeding mechanism to them.
If they ever want to add something like Sector/Governor Rebellion, they can not allow you to set up sectors that are not viable to run on their own.
That is why each sector is operating more like thier own little Empire, then a full dependant.

Build them a dyson sphere each :p