• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hi folks!

Today, we moved into our brand new offices so things have been a little hectic in Paradox land. The new building is great, but I will always miss the spectacular view of Stockholm from the 24th floor of "Skrapan"...

No rest for the wicked though, so let's talk a bit about the role that characters play in Stellaris. First off, this game is not character based like Crusader Kings, so do not expect a complex web of rivalries and friendships to develop between rulers and leaders with dynamic portraits and genetics. In Stellaris, the real stars of the show are the Pops, with characters acting more like the advisors, generals and admirals in Europa Universalis (though they do have certain personality traits that can affect what options they get in scripted events, for example.) With that out of the way, let's examine the different types of characters:

Scientists can be put in charge of one of the three research departments (Physics, Society or Engineering.) They can also be assigned to captain the Science Ships you use to explore the galaxy. These are all topics for upcoming dev diaries... Suffice it to say that their skill levels and personalities will have clear effects on their tasks. They are also valid ruler candidates in technocratic societies (government types).

Governors can either lord it over a single planet or an entire sector (more on sectors later). They are a very useful way of keeping the populace happy, or increasing the efficiency of a rich and powerful planet even more. Governors are valid ruler candidates under many government types.

Admirals, though they are not mandatory, can give a clear edge to your military fleets, which is pretty straightforward. They are valid ruler candidates in militaristic societies.

Generals lead your armies in defense of your planets against invasion, or when invading the planets of your enemies. Like Admirals, they are valid ruler candidates in militaristic societies.

stellaris_dev_diary_06_01_20151026_leaders.jpg

Rulers give bonuses to entire empires, and, since other leader types can be elected ruler, they typically have a secondary skillset as well. Ruler type characters can also lead Factions; such characters are not recruited by you and cannot be ordered around. Factions and their leaders are, again, something we'll cover in detail later on.

Most leader types are recruited using Influence (a type of diplomatic "currency" in the game) and there is a cap on the total number of leaders you can employ, so you will need to weigh your need for Admirals against that for competent Governors, etc. Although all leaders tend to gain experience and become more accomplished over time, they do not live forever. The day will come when they perish and will need to be replaced…

stellaris_dev_diary_06_01_20151026_empire_details.jpg

Now, as you remember from last week’s diary, there are about a hundred different alien race portraits in the game. Thus, we initially felt that lesser leaders should not have actual portraits, because we could not possibly produce enough of them to provide the requisite variety. But then, the artists started to experiment with different backgrounds and clothes, which thankfully proved sufficient to allow all leaders to show a portrait.

The different types of leaders all use different sets of clothes. This helps increases variety, but also reinforces their role, with admirals having a militaristic uniform, governors being more casually dressed, and scientist being a bit more techy. Clothes are shared between some of the more similar species, because creating five unique apparels for each species is just an enormous amount of work. (Not all species wear clothes though; it would be odd if this was every alien race’s custom.)

I expect that humans will be by far the most popular race to play. Therefore, they are getting some special attention with different ethnicities, genders and hair styles. There is nothing stopping modders from doing the same for other races, of course! For example, the system could easily be used for other things, like an insect race where you have a multi tiered system, with one appearance for the ruler, a completely different morphology for your Pops, and a third for your leader characters...

Until next week, take care all!

Last edited by a moderator:
The only thing which is kinda bugs me is that all scientiests use ships, instead of being in their labs surrounded by nuclear reactors and hadron colliders.
Here's a question: For the diversity in humans, woukd that require modding to eliminate? Say, for example, you create space Nazis, it would be out of character for them to be as diverse as a more tolerant society.
Naturally. Or did you expect PD to put "white power" button in game?

Reactions:
So the United Nations of Earth is a indirect Democracy which is extreme Individualistic and Xenophile? I hope there will be other Human Factions available but we will see...

Reactions:
Isn't an indirect democracy just a republic? Direct democracies have everyone vote for everything. Indirect or representative democracies elect people to make the decisions for the whole population in the form of a republic? Not an expert of government types so just curious.

Yeah indirect democracy is just the regular. Nobody in modern times uses direct, except on a very small scale. Be interesting to see if direct is an option, and how they handle it

Reactions:
So the United Nations of Earth is a indirect Democracy which is extreme Individualistic and Xenophile? I hope there will be other Human Factions available but we will see...
You can edit any of the default empires during empire creation, so if you want to make humanity a collectivist theocracy you can.

Reactions:

You can create whatever sort of human nation you want, any presets are just there as examples. No reason the United Nations (of Earth) has to exist in your game

Reactions:
You can edit any of the default empires during empire creation, so if you want to make humanity a collectivist theocracy you can.
or a militaristic xenophob spiritualistic dictatorship, thou thats more for the 40k mod to do...together with the other Factions of its universe

Reactions:
Perfect except for having a leaders limit. Seriously could we take out limits as they don't make sense at all . they even make less sense on big intergalactic civilizations.

Reactions:
Will we be able to recruit leaders of other races once we create the United Federation of Planets?

Reactions:
Great dev diary!

Although I consider the fact that the United Nations of Earth is xenophilic to be very... HERETICAL.
HE WHO SUFFERS THE ALIEN TO LIVE SHARES THE CRIME OF ITS EXISTENCE

P.S. What will next week's Dev Diary be about? :D

Reactions:
Except you are not recruiting Captains you are recruiting Admirals and Generals. Admirals lead entire Fleets not individual ships. So you are not going to have the Admiral of the USS Enterprise but rather the Admiral of the United Nations of Earth First Fleet, though his flagship may be the USS Enterprise. Same with Generals, you will not have the General of the first riflemen division but rather the General of the United Nations of Earth First Army.

Except I can plop a scientist on to captain a ship. Which seems like a preferential thing which is unnecessary when the character types are not as broad as they could be for features like this.

Reactions:
Wait you included social sciences? You know that's an oxymoron right? ;)

Jokes aside is there a chance we'll see physics replaced with natural sciences ina future dlc, including biology (and the ever cool xenobiology) and chemistry.

Reactions:
Great dev diary, but i should say that i HATE the leaders's cap. It harms my strategy and roleplay; we should be allowed to hire as many leaders as we want, as long as we can afford them.

Reactions:
Perfect except for having a leaders limit. Seriously could we take out limits as they don't make sense at all . they even make less sense on big intergalactic civilizations.

Except that the stars of the show are the POPS, where Advisors emerge, then Leaders. Having a limit makes competency, its not just about cheap leaders, and age, its just a point in time, important criteria to weigh before selecting the leader. But, my hope is that the limit is upgradable, because apparently there"diplomatic currency" which may be earned during the game. With increased earnings, it would make sense to have a limit just under that earnings potential, I would think, especially if there are other uses of the currency.

The only thing which is kinda bugs me is that all scientiests use ships, instead of being in their labs surrounded by nuclear reactors and hadron colliders.

Naturally. Or did you expect PD to put "white power" button in game?

Nazis are just he extreme example to show the point. Say, you want a Roman Empire in Space. You'd want your leaders to at least have Latin names. Another poster asked about having a Dahomey Empire.My main question is whether we are locked into having humans be broadly representative of modern demographics or if there's flexibility without requiring modding.

Reactions: