• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #59: Megastructures

utopia_stellaris_launcher_20170202.png

Hello everyone and welcome to another Stellaris development diary. Today's dev diary is going to cover the headline feature of the Utopia Expansion that we announced mere hours ago: Megastructures.

Megastructures (Paid Feature)
Have you ever looked at a Fallen Empire's Ringworld and thought 'I want to build one of those?'. Well, so have we, and in the Utopia expansion you will be able to do so. Megastructures are massive multi-stage construction projects that require an enormous investment of resources and time but offer quite spectacular pay-offs. There are four Megastructures that you can build: The Ringworld, the Dyson Sphere, the Sentry Array and the Science Nexus. In order to build a Megastructure you will need to unlock a number of advanced technologies and pick the appropriate Ascension Perk. This will unlock the ability for your construction ship to build a Megastructure Construction Site in an appropriate location. The Construction Site alone is a project that takes a large amount of resources and takes several years to complete.
2017_02_02_7.png

Once you have built the Construction Site for a Megastructure, you will be able to upgrade it to the first construction stage for a Megastructure. For the Ringworld and Dyson Sphere, this is an initial frame that provides no benefit, while the Science Nexus and Sentry Array gets a partially completed structure that provides some of the benefit of the finished version. From here, you can upgrade the unfinished Megastructure to the next stage(s) by investing more time and resources. For the Dyson Sphere, Science Nexus and Sentry Array, you upgrade one stage at a time, with increasing benefits from each finished stage until you have the completed Megastructure. The Ringworld Frame has four segments that can all be upgraded into finished Ringworld Sections simultaneously.
2017_02_02_2.png

The four different Megastructures work as follows:

Ringworld: Can only be built around a planet-rich star in your borders and, once finished, provides four maximum size 100% habitable planets. The Ringworld construction project will consume all planets in the system to be used as building materials. Cannot be built around Black Holes, Pulsars or Neutron Stars.
2017_02_02_3.png

Dyson Sphere: Can only be built around a star in your borders and provides a huge amount of energy each month, with the amount increasing for each stage of the Dyson Sphere completed. Once completed, the Dyson Sphere will cool down the system, turning most planets there into frozen worlds. Cannot be built around Black Holes, Pulsars or Neutron Stars.
2017_02_02_4.png

Science Nexus: Can be built around any non-inhabitable non-moon non-asteroid planet (similar to Habitats) and provides a huge amount of science each month, with the amount increasing for each stage of the Science Nexus completed.
2017_02_02_1.png

Sentry Array: Can be built around any non-inhabitable non-moon non-asteroid planet (similar to Habitats) and functions as a sensor station, providing sensor range in a radius that grows for each stage of the Sentry Array completed. Once fully finished, it will give complete sensor view of the entire galaxy.
2017_02_02_5.png

Building a Megastructure is hardly a subtle affair, and once an empire starts construction on such a project, all other empires that have communications with them will be notified about the start, progression and completion of such a project. As monumental undertakings involving the resources of a whole empire, these projects can also have unintended political and diplomatic consequenses. Also, much like the Ringworlds already in the game, you are not the first civilization to conceive of the idea of Megastructures, and you may encounter ancient, ruined Megastructures while exploring.
2017_02_02_6.png

That's all for today! Next week we'll be talking about yet another feature of the Utopia expansion: Psionic Transcendance and The Shroud.

Reactions:
Looks fantastic, though I'm wondering about what it would require to construct multiple different ones.
Ascension perks especially.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I wonder if the Sentry Array won't be too annoying. (ENEMY FLEET DETECTED...... ON OTHER SIDE OF GALAXY).

Might make it hard to keep track of your own stuff a bit.

Reactions:
Need a giant interplanetary ray gun.

Reactions:
So we pretty much know about all mayor features of Utopia, right? I am really disappointed that this expansion does not add a single new mayor systemic feature like trade, private sector enterprise, multilateral organizations, espionage, different nation entitites like nomads, etc. How does that justify a whole expansion? Its only minor stuff, worth a DLC.

Reactions:
the term "Sentry array" sprung to mind a massive military station but galaxy-wide sensor ability?
I think I can live with this :p

also: Psionic Transcendance you say?

6c763ee0abb0920c3eb737a79c56f5575badae8babb0bee5c17bb198fe8338fd.jpg

Reactions:
will ringworlds use the special buildings that habitats use? it makes a bit more sense than currently, where you can mine minerals forever from a ringworld.

Reactions: