• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #58: Habitats

Hello everyone and welcome to another Stellaris development diary. Today's dev diary is going to cover a feature coming in the (unannounced) expansion accompanying the 1.5 'Banks' update: Habitats. As before, I still can't say anything about the release date of the update/expansion other than that you're in for a bit of a wait.

Orbital Habitats (Paid Feature)
One of the things we have stated that we want to address is the lack of options for building 'tall' in Stellaris: Even if you're playing pacifist xenophiles that have no interest in conquering others, sooner or later your empire is going to have their borders closed in on all fronts, all the habitable planets in your space will be terraformed, and your only option for further expansion is to grow your space through conquest. When we say that we want to enable building tall, however, this doesn't mean we're going to make being a five-system empire just as good as being a fifty-system empire: There should always be an incentive to expand your borders, but for those who do not want or simply cannot do this, we want there to options other than just stagnating.

Orbital Habitats is one of our solutions to this problem: Instead of expanding to new systems and colonizing new planets, you create new, artificial 'planets' for your Pops to live on. Orbital Habitats are massive space stations that function like small (currently size 12, though this may not be the final number) planets that (like Gaia Planets and Ringworlds) have 100% habitability for all species. They can be built around any non-habitable planet (not asteroid or moon) in your space, and there is no limit to the amount you can build other than the number of such planets you have to build them around. Habitats function exactly like a planet: They can be colonized with whatever Pops you want to live there, they can be worked for resources by constructing buildings there, and they count as a planet for the purpose of empire research costs. In order to build a habitat, you need to have researched the maximum level of spaceport technology and picked the 'Voidborn' Ascension Perk (for more info on Ascension Perks, see dev diary 56)
2017_01_26_2.png

Habitats mostly do not have tile resources with the one exception that if the planet they are orbiting has a resource that could otherwise be worked by a mining or research station, that resource will be present on one of the Habitat's tiles. Instead, Habitats have their own, unique set of buildings distinct from the normal planetary buildings. Overall, Habitats are efficient when it comes to research and energy general, but do poorly when it comes to food and mineral production. These buildings are 'single-stage': they have a fairly large upfront cost and high immediate research production, but cannot be upgraded. The reason for this is to allow for easier management of systems with several habitats in them.

Graphics-wise, Habitats use different models depending on which ship set you have selected, and each ship set (including Plantoids) has its own habitat model. They also have their own planet icon and will get a unique planetary graphic and tile set (that is still a work in progress and thus not shown below), emphasising the ways in which they differ from regular planets.
2017_01_26_1.png

That's all for today! Normally, this is where I'd tell you what next week's dev diary is going to be about, but this time I have to keep it a secret for the time being... so all I'm going to say is that it's going to be big.

Very big.

Reactions:
I like ideas of new patch, I totally do!

But I think this new concept of habitats is a bit... well, too unrealistic? I know, "cmon, we are talking about aliens and giant space dragons, how could this be reaistic?".

Still though. These habitats are giant habitable space stations (nice idea!) with 12 pops (wow, what?). I mean, Earth can contain 16 pops. Let's say, in 2200 it's 10 billions people. Or just 8 billions, to make things simpler. Then 1 pop = 500 millions people. Then we have space station, where live 6 billions? Even 1 billion is too much. How it's even possible? What size of this station?

And cost is only 5 000 minerals? It's realy very cheap for such thing as artficial planet. Maybe 50 000 would be enugh. I guess. And only 1->2->3 tiles after each upgrade.

Just my opnion, nothing more. Artficial planets are a) way too anrealistic for regular civilsation b) OP c) too cheap

Can't wait for 1.5!

I think of pops as being different sizes. Like, they represent the meaningful economic output of an undefined number of people. The first pop on a colony might only be a few thousand humans but almost all of them are working to grow food and infrastructure for the population to come. At 15 pops you have billions of sentients on a planet, but a lot of them are probably entertainers, middlemen, administrators, maintenance workers or just unemployed.

In those terms the orbitals make a little more sense. Those pops are probably way less than a million sentients, but they live in an automated, controlled environment and they're getting a lot of necessities shipped and transmitted from the core worlds

Reactions:
:( if this will be a DLC - I will never buy it. There are mode which do the same. Aad this DLC will not bring something new to game.

Paradox do something with army! This part of stellaris is bored, and unfinished.
- You only build army, and if you have more army you always wins, no any tactics, no any events during battle, no chance for you general can be killed, nothing.
- No any penalties for armies, which attacking difference climate/type planets, then yours base climate (e.g: your army have penalty but robots don't). Similar penalties like you try colonize planets with difference climate. So you will have to build robots army (or some other mechanized/mechs army which should be expensive) or train army from difference civilisations without penalties for this climate. Or build huge army from your base civilisation to conquer planets with difference climate.
- AI don't know how to use his army. AI Strategy is only follow after fleets. They don't try to defend their own planets, garrison army is to weak. AI should more often deploy his army on his own planets.
No any difference in garrisons. You should be able to build better garrisons if you research new type of assault armies. Or give a attachment for assault armies which make them to be a garrison, and AI will not embark all his armies.
- Orbital bombarding fleet is to powerful. No any defence system for planets, example defence turrets - structures which you can build on planet, so bombardment fleet will/can have some losses.
New shield system which will rise planetary resistance shields.
Fleet bombardment should not be able to destroy all "fortification" on planets. Less fortification left it should be harder to destroy. Or you huge fleet should bombardment this planet for few years!! Yes, years to destroy all fortifications.
- This changes make game a little harder and assaulting planets more difficulty. And even if some empire don't have fleet, can still defence his planet by strong army.

Pls fix this aspect of the game, not "create" some wired DLC when we have mods like that.
Make more event for late game. After some time game become a bored, You have fleet and other empires don't. You can kill/conquer everyone. Even FE or late crisis are not so hard.
This is one of few examples what should be fixed before you give us a DLC, which don't change anything and don't fix the game.
I love this game ( I love games from your company) but if you will behave like that, Stellaris and Hoi4 will be last game which I buy from you. First fix game, change aspect which should be better. Then you can give us as many DLC as you want, Not in opposite way.

Best NiKuTa
P.S. Sorry for my Eng :]

Last edited:
Reactions:
Just a little correction: Your general can be killed, if his army with the little star is defeated. Lost several general during sucessfull planet captures this way.

Reactions:
Paradox do something with army! This part of stellaris is bored, and unfinished.
I believe Wiz stated that the addition of ground forces to the game was a misstep. (He wasn't the lead at the time.) So I doubt much will be done with it in the future.
Personally I'm fine with this.

Reactions:
That's all for today! Normally, this is where I'd tell you what next week's dev diary is going to be about, but this time I have to keep it a secret for the time being... so all I'm going to say is that it's going to be big.

Very big.
INC Supernova bomb for that special empire you just can't find the right gift for?

I hope we can eventually abandon planets.

Many futurologists are generally friendly to the notion that sufficiently advanced space faring races would ultimately give up living on planets, and even find the notion a bit odd/quaint.

Actually there's a feature idea for you Paradox, free of charge: Add a 'horde faction' feature/ability, where a species can become nomadic.

Or not, might be too big an ask, but anyway good work!

I believe Wiz stated that the addition of ground forces to the game was a misstep. (He wasn't the lead at the time.) So I doubt much will be done with it in the future.
Personally I'm fine with this.
i kinda hope they remove it or change it massively when they get around to it

I honest don't get why my massive fleet with 25 huge battleships can't find room for a ground invasion force on board

The sad truth is that I do NOT like sectors (not enough control) and - atm ... pre-Utopia - the tech to get more core sector systems are far too few and far too rare ... and only pacifists can get the governments which raise the cap. Even though I play in a pretty pacifist way I do not want to be a pacifist. This is awful. Sure we can get a choice ... IF we are given one. That is what is limiting expansion atm.

The sad truth is that I do NOT like sectors (not enough control) and - atm ... pre-Utopia - the tech to get more core sector systems are far too few and far too rare ... and only pacifists can get the governments which raise the cap. Even though I play in a pretty pacifist way I do not want to be a pacifist. This is awful. Sure we can get a choice ... IF we are given one. That is what is limiting expansion atm.

First off naughty for Necroing this thread.
And the whole point of Sectors is to minimise Micromanagement, and the control we do have is sufficient, you can control if they colonise, build robots what to focus on, slavery and purging.
Thirdly 5 core systems is enough at the start, especially if you look for and get a multi world system. The Repeatable tech for it does come up once you reach a certain point

First off naughty for Necroing this thread.
I'm not sure commenting on a Dev Diary for an as of yet unreleased expansion that is just over a month old constitutes as necromancy :p

Building tall is something which is always hard to implement, but I really do hope it works well. As it will be great if it works well, but I tend not to bother in EU4.

Thirdly 5 core systems is enough at the start, especially if you look for and get a multi world system. The Repeatable tech for it does come up once you reach a certain point
Without wishing to contribute to the necro of this thread, I feel like 5 core systems is enough at the start, but when you get to mid game it becomes an absolute frustration. I feel like we should already be having upwards of 10 core systems by the end of the game, but that's the point when increasing core systems becomes viable.

I'm not sure commenting on a Dev Diary for an as of yet unreleased expansion that is just over a month old constitutes as necromancy :p
In a lot of forums posting on a thread that has been dead for a month is a big no-no

The dyson spheres in the DLC seem to be more stellar forges than true dyson spheres. A dyson sphere should be the radius of the ring worlds and be habitable, a stellar forge encases a sun to turn it into a battery collecting most of it solar energy. Which in turn can be used to power manufacturing facilities like a massive fleet building operations etc. like a titans or dreadnaughts.

The dyson spheres in the DLC seem to be more stellar forges than true dyson spheres. A dyson sphere should be the radius of the ring worlds and be habitable, a stellar forge encases a sun to turn it into a battery collecting most of it solar energy. Which in turn can be used to power manufacturing facilities like a massive fleet building operations etc. like a titans or dreadnaughts.
true, but an actual dyson sphere isn't even a single contiguous object but instead a cloud of orbiting objects set up in such a way that they totally conceal the star they orbit and maximally use all solar energy output by that star.