• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #58: Habitats

Hello everyone and welcome to another Stellaris development diary. Today's dev diary is going to cover a feature coming in the (unannounced) expansion accompanying the 1.5 'Banks' update: Habitats. As before, I still can't say anything about the release date of the update/expansion other than that you're in for a bit of a wait.

Orbital Habitats (Paid Feature)
One of the things we have stated that we want to address is the lack of options for building 'tall' in Stellaris: Even if you're playing pacifist xenophiles that have no interest in conquering others, sooner or later your empire is going to have their borders closed in on all fronts, all the habitable planets in your space will be terraformed, and your only option for further expansion is to grow your space through conquest. When we say that we want to enable building tall, however, this doesn't mean we're going to make being a five-system empire just as good as being a fifty-system empire: There should always be an incentive to expand your borders, but for those who do not want or simply cannot do this, we want there to options other than just stagnating.

Orbital Habitats is one of our solutions to this problem: Instead of expanding to new systems and colonizing new planets, you create new, artificial 'planets' for your Pops to live on. Orbital Habitats are massive space stations that function like small (currently size 12, though this may not be the final number) planets that (like Gaia Planets and Ringworlds) have 100% habitability for all species. They can be built around any non-habitable planet (not asteroid or moon) in your space, and there is no limit to the amount you can build other than the number of such planets you have to build them around. Habitats function exactly like a planet: They can be colonized with whatever Pops you want to live there, they can be worked for resources by constructing buildings there, and they count as a planet for the purpose of empire research costs. In order to build a habitat, you need to have researched the maximum level of spaceport technology and picked the 'Voidborn' Ascension Perk (for more info on Ascension Perks, see dev diary 56)
2017_01_26_2.png

Habitats mostly do not have tile resources with the one exception that if the planet they are orbiting has a resource that could otherwise be worked by a mining or research station, that resource will be present on one of the Habitat's tiles. Instead, Habitats have their own, unique set of buildings distinct from the normal planetary buildings. Overall, Habitats are efficient when it comes to research and energy general, but do poorly when it comes to food and mineral production. These buildings are 'single-stage': they have a fairly large upfront cost and high immediate research production, but cannot be upgraded. The reason for this is to allow for easier management of systems with several habitats in them.

Graphics-wise, Habitats use different models depending on which ship set you have selected, and each ship set (including Plantoids) has its own habitat model. They also have their own planet icon and will get a unique planetary graphic and tile set (that is still a work in progress and thus not shown below), emphasising the ways in which they differ from regular planets.
2017_01_26_1.png

That's all for today! Normally, this is where I'd tell you what next week's dev diary is going to be about, but this time I have to keep it a secret for the time being... so all I'm going to say is that it's going to be big.

Very big.

Reactions:
Hey now, the man did charge for his own books. We're not living in The Culture yet.

Will Banks update have an option to name ships humanoid ships automatically from a list of Culture ships?
I personally want to see ships such as the "What Are The Civilian Applications?" and "Serious Callers Only" and "A Series Of Unlikely Explanations" flying around

Reactions:
Why no lunar habitats? Only thing that comes to my mind is that it would look a bit cluttered visually, but surely there's solutions to that?

It's also possible that it's needed to keep the AI from spamming the orbitals everywhere.

@Wiz What's the reasoning behind restricting the orbitals to planets only, no moons (although having moons provide some sort of bonus would be a nice idea) or asteroids?

How habitats could be bombarded? They will have some kind of fortification that could be removed but bombarding a space station with a fleet would look more than strange.
Also, only way to play Tall is to be superior economically, militarily or techologically. Ability to settle a bit more worlds at the same time enemy can do the same won't allow tll play or equalize a bit small empires' powers or ability to fight against wide empires. I doubt it will make things easier for small empires.
Also, I don't think it's a good decision to streamline all non-expansionist empires to go for Voidborn perk is just like option in EUIV to get Quantity national idea - no one forces you to go for it but not doing so would harm your game tremendously so it becomes an illusion of option.

About habitats being destructible: Yes, it would make perfect sense for a habitat to be able to be bombed to pieces. However, it would also make perfect sense for a planet to be able to be bombed to pieces, particularly since pre-FTL civilizations are capable of this in-game. The reason you can't do this right now are purely gameplay related, it's not a question of realism.

Reactions:
I think it would be a good idea to have enough ascension perks that focus on expansion to steer them away from voidborn, after all, an ascension perk is far more rare for a large empire and picking voidborn would not give any significant benefits if you can just take more planets instead of using a lot of rescources to build them.

I personally think overall that voidborn is naturally going to become undesireable to have compared to other ascension perks and it being a must for smaller empires, who can also get ascension perks faster.

I love the entire design of the habitats and how they are majorly balanced by the ascension perk system.

You have done an amazing job @Wiz and other designers, I am so exited about playing tall :D

Reactions:
And as I said with the current implementation Habitats are a disadvantage for smaller empires because while they do not run out of options quite as fast (at one point all their planets will have a habitat and they are again stuck with nothing to do) large empires will benefit from Habitats even more than small empires as they can build more of them. The power gap widens further and that makes it even less likely that small empires can break out or survive. They would be better off without Habitats.
Wide empires can do it, of course, but there are other tradeoffs and balancing levers (such as consumer goods) that make it more worthwhile for a smaller empire.

And again, as I said, this is more about ensuring that small empires don't run out of options. Big empires *should* be stronger than small empires, the question is just how much and in which ways.
As sade consumer goods for one, lets wait and se it in action before condemning it.

Reactions:
Hmm, didn't think they would be so far locked into the research tree. Would anyone else prefer if we could get them earlier but at lower level and more research options to upgrade them (say different sizes; probably not more than 12 but start off smaller)? If someone gets blocked off in the early colony rush it seems these are way too far back the tech tree to compensate the loss of planets they'll miss out on (which they shouldn't completely of course).

Reactions:
Question -- can the habitats be destroyed in war? In theory, they are a sort of space station, but they also function as a pop center, like planets, which aren't destroyed in war. Additionally, I presume the entire habitat is destroyed with the cleanse planet wargoal?

@Wiz Just wondering how come we can only build them over planets and not over moons or asteroids? I can guess that it would make it overpowered and overexploitable, but just wondering the reasoning.

Science penalties still exist for larger empires, right? Because I'm having fun picturing a tall empire shooting ahead on tech and then emerging in the late-game and crushing its overextended and decadent neighbors. :D

Reactions:
@Wiz Just wondering how come we can only build them over planets and not over moons or asteroids? I can guess that it would make it overpowered and overexploitable, but just wondering the reasoning.

Really just so there isn't 25 habitats in a single system.

Reactions:
As far as I understand it comes after you get the tech to build battleship or just after that, no? Or afer fortress, that comes relatively early in the game...
You can easily win a game before you research battleships

Reactions:
Will it affect border extrusion, as asked previously in an earlier part of the thread? and or require already colonized worlds in a particular star system?

Are there any flag or modifier that bans the habitat to be build on some planets with that flag or modifier? (so for example, an anomaly on a planet says that the planet is very very radiactive and even a habitat is not viable (like Jupiter))). If not, it would be nice to have for modding.

I think this sounds great. People have not thought it all the way through. Sometimes you want to play as a semi-peaceful Empire. I had one game where I expanded as much as I could early game. But sooner or later your blocked in by the other empires as space runs out. Now if your empire was 100 % focused on expansion perhaps you are already way bigger than most empires and just needs to consolidate your space to be the biggest kid on the block. Or if your empire focused on warfare you are ready to start grabbing some real estate from your neighbors (or more likely you are already doing this). But if you focused on tech you are likely ahead but you can't simply expand if you don't want to switch your play style up completely.
This opens up new growth options which can keep you on par with the expansionist empires for much longer because a) you are not using influence, ascension perks and resources to colonize and build up new planets or b) you don't have to replace as many ships as the conquering empires.

Eventually they will surpass you anyway but it's pretty cool even if it opens up new options for playstyles into the lategame.

Reactions: