• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #58: Habitats

Hello everyone and welcome to another Stellaris development diary. Today's dev diary is going to cover a feature coming in the (unannounced) expansion accompanying the 1.5 'Banks' update: Habitats. As before, I still can't say anything about the release date of the update/expansion other than that you're in for a bit of a wait.

Orbital Habitats (Paid Feature)
One of the things we have stated that we want to address is the lack of options for building 'tall' in Stellaris: Even if you're playing pacifist xenophiles that have no interest in conquering others, sooner or later your empire is going to have their borders closed in on all fronts, all the habitable planets in your space will be terraformed, and your only option for further expansion is to grow your space through conquest. When we say that we want to enable building tall, however, this doesn't mean we're going to make being a five-system empire just as good as being a fifty-system empire: There should always be an incentive to expand your borders, but for those who do not want or simply cannot do this, we want there to options other than just stagnating.

Orbital Habitats is one of our solutions to this problem: Instead of expanding to new systems and colonizing new planets, you create new, artificial 'planets' for your Pops to live on. Orbital Habitats are massive space stations that function like small (currently size 12, though this may not be the final number) planets that (like Gaia Planets and Ringworlds) have 100% habitability for all species. They can be built around any non-habitable planet (not asteroid or moon) in your space, and there is no limit to the amount you can build other than the number of such planets you have to build them around. Habitats function exactly like a planet: They can be colonized with whatever Pops you want to live there, they can be worked for resources by constructing buildings there, and they count as a planet for the purpose of empire research costs. In order to build a habitat, you need to have researched the maximum level of spaceport technology and picked the 'Voidborn' Ascension Perk (for more info on Ascension Perks, see dev diary 56)
2017_01_26_2.png

Habitats mostly do not have tile resources with the one exception that if the planet they are orbiting has a resource that could otherwise be worked by a mining or research station, that resource will be present on one of the Habitat's tiles. Instead, Habitats have their own, unique set of buildings distinct from the normal planetary buildings. Overall, Habitats are efficient when it comes to research and energy general, but do poorly when it comes to food and mineral production. These buildings are 'single-stage': they have a fairly large upfront cost and high immediate research production, but cannot be upgraded. The reason for this is to allow for easier management of systems with several habitats in them.

Graphics-wise, Habitats use different models depending on which ship set you have selected, and each ship set (including Plantoids) has its own habitat model. They also have their own planet icon and will get a unique planetary graphic and tile set (that is still a work in progress and thus not shown below), emphasising the ways in which they differ from regular planets.
2017_01_26_1.png

That's all for today! Normally, this is where I'd tell you what next week's dev diary is going to be about, but this time I have to keep it a secret for the time being... so all I'm going to say is that it's going to be big.

Very big.

Reactions:
Two questions!

Firstly, can we build ships from habitats without having to construct a separate spaceport? (If they could be developed to be more efficient at ship production than regular spaceports, that would be nice for tall empires since they won't have as many planets to spread their ship production over)

Secondly, if we build a habitat over an orbital deposit tile, can we improve the efficiency of resource extraction with buildings? (say, boosting a +3 energy deposit to generate +6 energy)

Reactions:
Size 12 feels too much. That is as much as a big moon. Would feel suitable as long as this is the (not mentioned) level3 of habitats - I thought of 8, 10, 12.

And mineral production seems weird for me. At least it sounds not being a mining network...

Their mineral production facilties are called Astro-Mining Bays, the idea being that they mine resources from nearby planetoids and asteroids. They're pretty inefficient though.

Reactions:
Two questions!

Firstly, can we build ships from habitats without having to construct a separate spaceport? (If we could be developed to be more efficient at ship production than regular spaceports, that would be nice for tall empires since they won't have as many planets to spread their ship production over)

Secondly, if we build a habitat over an orbital deposit tile, can we improve the efficiency of resource extraction with buildings? (so, boosting a +3 energy deposit to generate +6 energy)

We are currently playing around with the balance of Habitats and Spaceports, so I'm going to have to come back on that later, but I'm leaning towards habitats having an integrated Spaceport.

Reactions:
- Do habitats function as spaceports for the purpose of constructing ships and giving naval capacity? Edit: Ninja'd by Wiz.

- Are habitats armed? If so, how strong are they? Can we upgrade their weapons later on (e.g. to Tachyon Lances)?

- Can habitats be destroyed outright during a war, whether through bombardment or invading them and opening the airlocks?

- Can habitats be demolished if we conquer them and decide against keeping them (e.g. we couldn't afford the "Cleanse Planet" wargoal and went with conquest, but we don't want to leave the habitats around for someone to colonize again after we purge everyone)?

- How long does a habitat take to build?

- Do you control habitat construction in sectors, or is that a toggle?

Reactions:
Size 12 feels too much. That is as much as a big moon. Would feel suitable as long as this is the (not mentioned) level3 of habitats - I thought of 8, 10, 12.

And mineral production seems weird for me. At least it sounds not being a mining network...

If I recall correctly from one of the twitter teasers the mineral (and other resources?) production was supposed to be derived from the host planet.

EDIT: Beaten by wiz.

Reactions:
Habitats have their own, unique set of buildings distinct from the normal planetary buildings.

I wanted to ask about these unique buildings. Do they have their own unique tech's that you have to research or do they scale with the regular power plants, mines etc..?

Sounds very cool.

You said something about food being dificult to produce for habitats.... does that mean they have to import it or something? Would be a cool feature for excess food production.

Btw since this is my first dev diary post let me say just this: Stellaris is keeping me from buying Civ6. Keep up the awesome work.

Reactions:
Quoted directly from the dev diary: "Instead, Habitats have their own, unique set of buildings distinct from the normal planetary buildings. Overall, Habitats are efficient when it comes to research and energy general, but do poorly when it comes to food and mineral production. These buildings are 'single-stage': they have a fairly large upfront cost and high immediate research production, but cannot be upgraded. The reason for this is to allow for easier management of systems with several habitats in them."

I read that. So their tile output is higher than regular buildings for Science and Energy, but low for Mineral and Food, that's how I am to interpret it?

Maybe I'm having a slow day, so I do apologize. Just trying to get a grasp of how they will function is more clear detail.

Habitats are not armed and can not be destroyed, since we do not yet have mechanics for planet destruction. When we do, they'll be destructible along with normal planets.

They can be conquered, cleansed, liberated etc like normal planets.

Reactions:
Awww... I already imagined the habitat having a huge amount of HP, which could be diminished via orbital bombardment (to prevent months-long battle), up to its destruction.

Reactions:
Habitats are not armed and can not be destroyed, since we do not yet have mechanics for planet destruction. When we do, they'll be destructible along with normal planets.

Haha! I got you! Now we know the next big devdiary won't be on deathstars. :D

Ringworlds?

Reactions:
A small question: How is a habitat settled? Do you have to choose a starting POP like with colony ships, which appears directly after the habitat is finished, or you build an empty habitat to be settled later?

Reactions:

Thats a bit disappointing, but if it cant yet be done fair enough. The amount of new content going into this patch/expansion is already commendable.

Reactions:
At first I thought: Meh more planets we can build when you wrote they would be able to mine resources from planets but not that you wrote they are kinda specialized and have their own buildings I am really pumped about them.

It just feels they are a bit cheap but if they have no resource tiles and buildings cost a lot it sounds good.

Seems like an obvious choice for expansion. But at the moment, my current empire is spoilt for choice inside empire boundaries; so this would be very late game for me.

Can't see what next week's big reveal is. Crossing fingers it is something on my wish list.

A small question: How is a habitat settled? Do you have to choose a starting POP like with colony ships, which appears directly after the habitat is finished, or you build an empty habitat to be settled later?

Right now, you colonize it like a normal planet. We're discussing changing it so you pick a pop on construction instead.

Reactions:

I'll take that "when" as a promise (not really)!

Reactions: