• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #44 - Space Creature Rework

Hello everyone and welcome to another Stellaris development diary. This is the fifth part in a multi-part dev diary about the 'Heinlein' 1.3 update and accompaying (unannounced) content DLC. The topic of today's dev diary is the changes to space creatures coming in Heinlein.

Grounding the Space Creatures (Free Feature)
I've always loved the concept of space creatures - massive beings capable of living in vacuum, travelling between the stars under their own power. With Stellaris, I felt that we went a long way with the addition and fleshing out of space creatures such as amoebas and crystalline entities, but we failed to really ground them in the setting. You encounter them, you research them, you get some information about them... but where do they come from? They're just randomly scattered throughout the galaxy, with no real sense of belonging or having come from anywhere.

This is something we've changed in Heinlein. Instead of just spawning randomly anywhere, space creatures will belong to a particular region of space. They can be found outside it, but its rare, so once you encounter more than one set of mining drones, it's likely that you've entered mining drone space. In the region of a particular space creature, in addition to finding the regular versions of these creatures, you will also find a 'nexus', a system surrounded by powerful variants in which a 'boss creature' lives, and where this particular space creature is meant to have either its origins or their 'home', so to speak. For example, in the center of mining drone space, you will find the Mining Drone Home Base, a powerful adversary that once defeated will yield some significant rewards.
TqkTImo.png

wqZrUmD.png

Space Piracy (Free Feature)
Space pirates is another area where we just didn't go far enough with our implementation. Part of that is because we lack a real trade system for them to prey on, but even so, the one-off event that spawns a few ships (that may or may not look completely different from anything else your species uses) just isn't up to par. As such, we've decided to make pirates their own type of 'space creature', with a region of space they live in, a home base and several more variants of ships. From here, they will occasionally set out to raid interstellar empires across the galaxy until one of those empires has enough and attacks them at the source.

Power and Reward Rebalancing (Free Feature)
As part of these changes, we will also be looking at the power of each space creature, tweaking or creating more variants to ensure that they do not cease being relevant as soon as the player has built a destroyer or two. We will also look at rebalancing the rewards you get for killing and researching them, to make both finding and fighting them a more rewarding experience overall. The overall aim of our changes to the power and placement space creatures is to make encounters with them them rarer but more significant.
4wViR59.png

That's all for today! Next week we'll be talking about Enclaves, a feature in the DLC that will accompany the Heinlein update.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions:
While this looks cool, and I particularly like the adjustment to the space pirates and other creatures, I do have to express once more my disappointment that we will have to pay for the free mid-game content we were promised would be included in Heinlein. (If indeed that scripted content even includes the mid-game content we were promised at all.)

Reactions:
I have a question about a concern I've had since my most successful campaign. The maximum naval limit of 1000 ships is obviously implemented to prevent extreme lag in the late game, a move that is completely justified as the framerate in a late game with more than ten empires drops to the framerate of powerpoint presentations. However, my true naval capacity was almost up to 2000 when I gave up on the campaign and I feel like such a huge number is wasted without a way to use the excess capacity over the cap.

Will there be any thought put into addressing this glaring issue? It becomes a big issue in the late game when you can no longer use numbers to overpower stronger enemies. If this isn't on the priorities for Heinlein update, maybe in the next one you could implement super-ships you can build after reaching the 1000 cap in very small numbers? The kind that could walk into a massive encounter single-handedly and take the enemies apart like abstract art? Idk that's just my thought, but I hope this is addressed.,

Hmm, what if a ship took up more naval capacity the more upgraded it is?

I mean in terms of the components (weapons, power cores, shields, FTL-drive ect.) not just increasing its cost and upkeep, but also the naval capacity it takes up. So a corvette with all the tier 1 things would take 1 naval capacity, but it gradually increases and caps at for instance 2 with all the best stuff equipped. This would also give an incentive to playing the "lots of cheap ships"-strategy as well.
- You would of course have really ugly numbers, like a destroyer taking 2.68 fleet capacity, but that also goes for the other resources as well and they function just fine

Reactions:
Very nice changes! It sounds fitting for everything except the pirates which don't sound like they should be contained in just one region. But I think that is a good stop-gap until there is a proper trade system in place.

I do have to express once more my disappointment that we will have to pay for the free mid-game content we were promised would be included in Heinlein. (If indeed that scripted content even includes the mid-game content we were promised at all.)

The DLC isn't going to have the mid-game events they talked about. That may be in the next patch, or a later one, but will be free.

Reactions:
I like the direction you're going with space critters, but personally I would think there would be more than one pirate enclave or creature "home" systems in larger galaxies. In a big galaxy I would think amoebas might settle more than one similar to planet bound creatures having territories.

Reactions:
I like the direction you're going with space critters, but personally I would think there would be more than one pirate enclave or creature "home" systems in larger galaxies. In a big galaxy I would think amoebas might settle more than one similar to planet bound creatures having territories.
I think that's already how it's gonna be implemented. Basically a few (number depends on galaxy size) such "home territories" instead of one single for every galaxy no matter how big.
Maybe we could even have space amoeba "swarms" from different home territories fight eachother? That would be kind of epic to watch :D

Are space pirates also receive some more love? Currently all they do is destroying stuff but a pirate is interested in getting Money / Gold / Energy. So shouldn't pirates have options like hijack a ship or start an assault while demanding money to stop? If they only destroy stuff they are not pirates they are more like terrorists.

Possible options:
  • Hijack a ship or station to demand ressources
  • steal ressources from a planet/station
  • demand ressources or station/system will be harassed
  • kidnap planetary executor to demand ressources
Planetary options are countered by increasing the local defense troops of a planet. Planets who become harassed also have a decrease in satisfaction for pops.

Last edited:
Reactions: