• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #37 - Asimov Patch, part 2

capsule.jpg

Hello everyone and welcome to another Stellaris development diary. Today we will once again be talking about the Asimov 1.2 patch, that is planned to be released before the end of June. Last week's dev diary covered most of the diplomatic changes, here we'll be covering a variety of other changes and additions, though it will by no means be an exhaustive list. Full patch notes will be posted at some point before the patch is made available to the public, and include a large number of balance changes, bug fixes and UI improvements.

Better Looking Battles
One thing we were not quite happy with in the release of Stellaris is the way battles look - when small numbers of ships are engaged, it generally looks fine, but large fleet battles turn into disorganized heaps of ships, or 'beeswarms' as they have been described by players. A number of mods (such as the Beautiful Battles mod) emerged quickly to tweak this part of the game, and we've been looking at them for inspiration on how to improve the battle visuals. We plan to look more in detail at ship roles and fleet engagements in the future, but for Asimov we've made the following changes:
- The range of all weapons have been increased, so that fleets will engage at longer ranges and spend more time advancing at each other before close-up engagements happen.
- Combat computers were changed from Aggressive and Defensive into Swarm and Bombardment computers, to better describe their roles. Ships with Swarm computers will move in closely and engage, similar to old combat behaviour, and have bonuses to damage, speed and evasion. Ships with Bombardment computers will advance into weapons range and then slowly drift towards the enemy until they have range with all of their weapons, and have bonuses to accuracy, fire speed and weapons range.
- The default combat behaviour of ships was changed from that of orbiting 'swarm' mode into one where they make passes at the enemy and attempt to engage with 'broadsides', which should help make large battles look like less of an angry beeswarm unless all ships involved are using aggressive computers.
lNDDyT7.png

Map Modes
A highly requested feature ever since release has been the addition of more map modes, so that players can more easily keep track of things such as who their allies are, which empires they are at war with, or who has a positive attitude towards them. For Asimov, we've added a map modes feature with fully scriptable map modes that let modders at their own map modes, with three new map modes coming as part of the patch:
- Diplomatic Map Mode: Shows diplomatic relations with other Empires, such as whether you are at war, are allies with them, or are blocked from entering their borders.
- Opinion Map Mode: Shows their opinion of you.
- Attitude Map Mode: Shows the AI's attitude towards you.
mXznjm6.png

Nomad Fleets
Another feature that we decided to expand on for Asimov is Space Nomads. A rather rare encounter in the base game, all they do is share contacts with other empires, and we felt they're an interesting concept that can be used in far better ways. Nomads are now a roaming fleet that can enter the galaxy sometime during the course of the game, and will then plot a course through the galaxy, visiting a variety of locations before they leave it again for destinations unknown. If they pass through your space on the way, they may interact with you in a variety of ways, such as offering to sell you some ships, or requesting permission to settle some of their people within your borders.
M5uVmVs.png

Slave Factions
As you likely know if you've been reading these forums, slaves were not intended to be as docile as they were in the release of the game, but rather we had to cut slave revolts for lack of time because slaves were completely unmanageable and threatened to make the feature entirely useless. For Asimov, we've reworked the Slaves faction into a pair of factions called the Docile and Malcontent Slave Factions. As the names imply, Docile Slaves are slaves that are relatively content with their lot in life, and will at most demand that regulations are placed on the worst excesses suffered by slaves, while Malcontent Slaves are far more riotous and will demand their freedom. There is also an Aboltionist factions that can be joined by free pops who are sympathetic to the plights of the slaves.

New Wargoals
Something that has been frequently requested is more variety in the wargoals you can use on others, so that war can happen for other reasons than simply to transfer territory. This is an area we'll be looking at fleshing out long-term, but for Asimov we've added at least a few new wargoals to spice things up:
- Make Tributary: You can now take tributaries in war. Tributaries is a type of subject that pays 20% of their Energy and Mineral income to their overlord, but do not join their overlord's wars and are free to declare their own wars and colonize planets.
- Abandon Planet: If you have Purge policies allowed, you can force an enemy to abandon a planet, killing all pops on that planet in the process.
- Humiliate: You can humiliate enemy empires, making them suffer a negative modifier and giving you a chunk of influence.
- Open Borders: Forces the other Empire to open their borders towards you for 10 years.
- Stop Atrocity: Forces the other Empire to ban slavery and purging.

Diplomatic Incidents
A big part of the aim with the Asimov patch is to make the diplomatic game more interesting, and have more interaction between neighbouring empires. Diplomatic Incidents is a series of events that can occur between empires which shake up relations, usually related to the actions of one empire towards the others. An example is that an empire might suspect that a foreign science ship surveying inside their borders is there to spy on them, and will demand humiliating assurances from the owning empire that their secrets are safe, or else close their borders to the 'transgressor'.

That's it for today! Next week will be the last development diary before we all disappear on vacation, and will talk about what the future holds for Stellaris.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions:
Very nice update but their is a new policy You would really need to add into this game.

EXILE / EXPULSION

This has been a space civ role play option i always wanted ever since I saw this trailer many years back. [from 1m36s to 2m03]
I want to be able to play a faction that doesn't like outsiders but doesn't want to exterminate them either. I wanna be able to exile entire worlds into the depth of space!

Reactions:
first off - GREAT GAME!

i've been addicted since starting it just a few days ago.

i had some suggestions, which Asimov has covered many of (and a great choice of title too - thank god Stellaris wasn't around then though, we might have had far less books... :eek: )

of what is left (and my apologies if already covered in the long threads, or in Asimov and i missed the change):

1. being able to set new colony ships target planet when creating them. This would save a lot of time looking for the new colony ships, which in an empire of over 100 planets spanning the whole galaxy can take time. Especially this will help when choosing specific pops for specific planets, while LOADS of stuff is going on at the same time. I'm trying to stop pausing the game to prep for MP speed. ;)

2. how about having sector energy/mineral bank overflow going back to the central bank? In my current game all 8 sectors have maxed credits, yet despite having "tax" set to the full 75% the central bank keeps running low - while the sectors are peeing away hundreds of credits a month. As a learner-bonus this would also help noobs to 'invest' their energy/minerals - as they don't lose out if it maxes. And the sectors would surely be aware the Central Govt would need those credits they are throwing away.

indeed, in the RW a Sector Governor who didn't hand over surplus material to a strapped Empire Govt but instead threw them away would probably wind up sacked or dead.

3. when click on the sidebar "rebellious" sector, go TO that sector that you clicked on rather than the entire 'Unrest' tab. On more than one occasion whilst busy i've clicked on the sector having trouble and rapidly clicked "bribe" etc to go back to whatever i'm doing, and then realise i clicked to bribe the wrong sector. A waste of 200 IP that can REALLY hurt.

yes, we will "learn" through such pain, but there's no reason not to be able to open the sector directly that we click on.

4. not sure how this could be worked in, without changing the intended battle dynamics too much, but any chance of a "pull back from battle" option that doesn't entail full hyperspace retreat?

upon attacking the Unbidden system with a decent fleet, once my fleet had engaged the first station (as soon as i jumped in), my ships kept inching forward during the battle, meaning i engaged more and more stations without ever getting any control over this process. To leave 1 station left (so the surrounding Fallen Empire didn't regain the territory and throw me out before i could scan the awesome Ring World) i had to jump out - which destroyed over half my fleet. A loss of Battleships i could ill afford, when the Fallen were already getting antsy about my being around. Why couldn't i disengage?

5. having the option to tell newly created ships to automatically merge with a selected fleet, similar to Vic2?

apart from those suggestions AWESOME GAME. I couldn't tell you what the weather was like this week. :)

ps, couple of bugs that showed up - 2 full crashes so far, though the dev log says that should now be fixed. The "unicorns" turned up but i couldn't research them; not even by clicking ON them to go to the Events list. Simply wasn't there. Eventually i just blew them out of the sky to get rid of the annoyance. And one of the planets in Crucible wouldn't clear despite repeated attempts to scan the system (only allowed once anyway, of course). This continued even after i'd actually colonised the planets in the sector! Fleets sitting there didn't do jack, either. Unfortunately, no error files to send, and both events are LONG past in my game, saves deleted to make room.

sectors work great, no way in hell i could micromanage well over 100 systems, though have 18 garantium sitting there untouched according to the log. That's a LOT of extra possible energy! Though, as i said, all sectors are NOW maxed in energy storage (but they weren't earlier).

not sure of the "military" bias option, doesn't seem to do anything. Surely a sector with maxed storage would be building military stations like mad? And that reminds me - any chance of constructors being able to be set to (automatically would be awesome!) upgrade military stations, as they don't seem to change. Though in truth i'm still a noob, so they might already. :)

edit: 5. just one more thing to suggest, i HAD read that the higher level space stations are heavier armed and defended than lower level stations, but checking the numbers upon upgrading it doesn't seem to be the case. As upgraded stations cost so much - FAR more than military stations to build them to max - this might actually be a good idea (if it isn't the case already which it might be)?

edit edit: 6. why not allow Leaders to switch over from categories, with lower bonuses but still some? A great military Leader can often raise morale/happiness as a Planetary Governor when not sending conscripted Xenomorph elite cannon-fodder to liberate planets from their o⃥i⃥l⃥/⃥m⃥i⃥n⃥e⃥r⃥a⃥l⃥ ⃥w⃥e⃥a⃥l⃥t⃥h⃥ previous "evil dictators", and when Leaders are living around 200 years they can gain extra perks in different fields, in various ways. Either an overall individual cap, or a cap in each category? It could give just that extra flexibility in the mid-end game, esp with a decent amount of sectors in play that you DON'T want too large in case of sector rebellion.

i'm finding 20-25 planets per sector a good amount.

...just wish i could store more, or get the extra back to Central.....

------

edit-cubed - no worries, just discovered the mods!

----------------

"An atom blaster is a great weapon, but it can point both ways."

Last edited:
Reactions:
hope managment colony by sector will be upgraded... why up a station lvl 3 to lvl 6 while colony below starving !!!
build something random is not management !!!
if the goal of the sectors was to avoid micromanagement. well I would say that in the Status. it forces the micro management and with additional cost at the level of influence to move in and out the colonies sectors.
it s very good to make improvements everywhere. the best of all would be a net improvement of AI. the game has such potential, it s a shame to ruin it with a so stupid AI

Last edited:
Reactions:
I'm really bothered that the core sector planets are seemingly hard-capped at 5. In my latest save game (which I'll have to abandon) I had a limit of 12 core sector planets (Subconscious consensus +4 and +3 from research [administrative efficincy iirc?]) Those are all gone/changed and now my 14 core planets (3 of which I was developing for a future sector) are causing a -90% nerf of EC and inluence.

THERE NEEDS TO BE A WAY TO INCREASE YOUR CORE PLANETS. IT MAKES NO SENSE THAT YOU CAN HAVE A SECTOR WITH A BILLION PLANETS IN IT W/O PENALTY ( OTHER THAN THE FACT THAT SECTORS SUCK) BUT YOU CAN ONLY ADMINISTER 125 POPS MAX. FIX THIS. {ignore}

Edit:
OK, Now I see it was moved from Sub-Con to a pacifist based government type, Still upset that I lost the 3 levels of Administrative efficiency

Last edited:
Reactions:
THERE NEEDS TO BE A WAY TO INCREASE YOUR CORE PLANETS.
Under the 1.2 scheme, Pacifist government types give a bonus to core systems (+2 upgradable to +4 for Pacifist Democracy or Enlightened Monarchy, +5 upgradable to +10 for Peaceful Bureaucracy) and there's a repeatable Social Tech giving +1 Core System per upgrade. Materialist government types give a variety of bonuses depending on type; the democracies give happiness and increased leader speed gain.

As far as I know, all of the changes to government bonuses are listed in the patch notes for this beta patch.

Scientist Leaders: Careful and Archeologist Traits; the % for anomaly risk seems to be stated incorrectly for these traits.
AFAIK "Careful" is fine but Archeologist bonuses only apply to certain types of anomalies; tooltip doesn't make this clear.

I apologize for not searching through the previous pages, but could someone tell me if this will be savegame compatible? I have grown attached to my little empire of genociding humanists and the EUIV situation where you cannot continue old saves would discourage me from investing much time before the new patch. Thank you.
I also lost fleet capacity and my +4 core planets cap.
Still upset that I lost the 3 levels of Administrative efficiency
Not sure about fleet cap but they changed the internal name for the "core planet cap" increase tech to match the new functionality "core system cap". You'd need to edit the savegame before loading into 1.2 to fix that. Or edit the savegame to add the techs back but to be fair you'd need to fix it for all empires.

EDIT: (From beta release thread)
Regarding loss of core systems in old saves, if you don't require ironman you can mod the save and change instances of improved_core_planet_cap to improved_core_system_cap (they changed the internal name of the tech to match the new effect).

You need to do this before loading the save in 1.2 as the no longer valid tech names get thrown away

Last edited:
First off I think the game is brilliant and I’m excited to see these changes shape Stellaris into a true strategy gaming treasure; however, for all that is holy please include a private in game chatting option for alliance members. Toggling to Steam chat is problematic and especially difficult when you’re in the heat of battle on multiple fronts. Multiplayer is where this game truly shines and I’m a very surprise this hasn’t been included from the start.

Keep up the excellent work! :)
~T

Reactions:
@Wiz Do I notice some prototype ship icons in that map-mode screenshot that differentiate between civilian and military fleets? :D:D:D

I hope in future updates that we might be able to use this to force an empire to resettle their pops humanely (perhaps it should spawn multiple colony ships there or something) for a slightly more passive "I want your stuff and none of your people" option.

Considering it takes like a full year to build a colony ship that only supports a fraction of a billion people, resettlement should be carried slowly rather than insta-moving 20 billion people. Instead of colony ships, I would suggest the conquered planet to periodically spawn refugee ships. Refugees will go to planets within a range (preferable with similar ethos) and cause negative effects at them (less happiness or divergence). Players wil be able to settle those refugees by paying some minerals and energy (just like how you build robot pops) or expulse them. Policies can be enabled to allow or reject refugees. Xenophiles usually would welcome refugees while xenophobes, well, could even shoot at refugee ships if they wanted.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Considering it takes like a full year to build a colony ship that only supports a fraction of a billion people, resettlement should be carried by people slowly rather than insta-moving 20 billion people. Instead of colony ships, I would suggest the conquered planet to periodically spawn refugee ships. Refugees will go to planets within a range (preferable with similar ethos) and cause negative effects at them (less happiness or divergence). Players wil be able to settle those refugees by paying some minerals and energy (just like how you build robot pops) or expulse them. Policies can be enabled to allow or reject refugees. Xenophiles usually would welcome refugees while xenophobes, well, could even should at refugee ships if they wanted.
The idea of refugees, either as ships or something else, has been brought up so often now. Don't the devs see that we need them? :D

Not sure if it's been said before, but i'd like to see an option to, or the ability to modify details within an alliance and a federation. Such as, for example, a federation becoming more centralized with each member instead rotating for presidency and electing a president/emperor HRE style or setting certain conditions for the federation such as all members must adopt a form of democracy or autocracy, dissalow slavery or for the maniacle conquerors allow making a slavers league. Again, I think that the alliance and federation mechanic can be vastly expanded upon.

I have a hand full of protectorates and there's a bug that after it has become a vassel I still can't integrate them into my empire because it automatically gives them a defensive pact, so the option to integrate just doesn't show up in the menu!

why have you take off population slave limitation ?!!!
lot of answer like IS_NEUTRAL_TO_TOOLTIP.
very hard to be happy.
other things, good job ^^

Last edited:
something that should be changed I think. when integrated empire to his own. the capital of the empire of vassal disappears completely. if it s to don t have the point of influence, it is expensive to pay! the building could be simply changed in planetary capital.

edit:
it's a shame to remove the influence point win. more we win war and takes place in the galaxy, necessarily more influence we win. with time, integrations, outposts (without exaggeration) and its increased use. block has 7 points simply have no meaning.
now it s just impossible to use a point in polities.

in my game (800 systems), my main rival and neighbor cover 15% of the galaxy and me 10%. the people of my race (450 pop) is two times greater than the second. we have together roughly 35 planets each. my gain influence over him is 0.3 points. it's not a lot I think, for the 2 most important empires in the galaxy that rivals together. 3 neigbourg rivals and i win 1.06 point of influence but i have just 1 vassal and 1 garantie. they cost me 2 points. 1 point for garanties and 1 point in defense. i spend 5 point in integration, 1 outpost so i have 0 point for other use. you wanted more action in middle game... influence block totaly me. ( i ve ever integrated 2 empires so 2 empire capital delete).

other suggestion.
when the entire race was genetically improved. it's curious to be considered as alien population by my population and by other empire.

Last edited:
I've been gone from this game for a while, two quick questions: 1) are the end game disasters all WAD? 2) were those mid-game colony events implemented for science ships?

there is something to change !
i have a fleet block after a war. impossible to built a wormhole station because it s too far. the empire is too big. to have acces on a wormhole station, it must be built in the empire i was in war.