• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #318 - Announcing Astral Planes

A nearly infinite number of universes connect to our own.​

Ours is not the only one that is full of wonder…​

It's my great pleasure to announce that Astral Planes will be released alongside the Stellaris 3.10 ‘Pyxis’ update.

image1.png

Every adventure requires a step into the unknown.​

Astral Planes is a narrative-focused expansion that adds mid to late game exploration content with over 30 Astral Rifts with widely branching storylines.

Unlike the relative safety of Archaeology sites, the Rifts you explore will lead to completely different realms of existence, where fundamentals that were certain at home may not always be true.

image3.png

image4.png

image6.png

Astral Planes includes:
  • Over 30 Astral Rifts to explore
  • 8 new Relics
  • 4 Civics
  • 1 Origin
  • Astral Threads and Astral Actions
  • 3 new music tracks composed by Andreas Waldetoft

…as well as some insights into some old friends and enemies.

The Stellaris team has been working with Abrakam Entertainment since October 2022, and they've been working on Astral Planes in close collaboration with the rest of the Stellaris team. Over the next few weeks, I’ll be turning the dev diaries over to them so they can get to know you better, so you can feel some of the love they share for Stellaris, and so you can see why we trusted them to help with this release.

image2.png

Wishlist now on Steam!

• 94Like
  • 59Love
Reactions:
Not what I expected, but not a disappointment in any way!

• 9Like
Reactions:
A story pack? I would have bet money on it being a species pack.

Well that is a surprise, but a welcome one.

An interesting idea to try and bring back exploration in the late game. It is one of the most fun aspects of the early game.

Can't wait for more!

• 3Like
Reactions:
are they bypass (like wormhole, lgate) leading up to completely new systems (as suggested by the name Rift) or arch site thing that is local to the POI?

EDIT: from the screenshots on steam page it looks like it's the later.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Woohoo, when the Galaxy isn't big enough anymore, let's explore other planes of existence!

Question, though, as a Psionic-enjoyer: can I expect content that caters to my favorite Ascension?

And another question, will those additional planes of existence somehow connect to the Unbidden, the dreaded Class-30 Singularity, the Shroud-Gods and other bizzare entities?

• 17Like
Reactions:
I'm curious so the exploration part is going to work since I can't image there will be new "maps" to explore.

EDIT: Based on the images on Steam, it looks like rifts work the same as archeology sites.

Reactions:
With more and more direct proof of the shrouds existence ingame the stance of the materialists makes less and less sense.
I mean, the difference would be what, some lines of flavor text?

I suppose the flavor text could be adjusted to take a more methodological approach instead of dismissing the notion outright.

But the difference is still that Spiritualists ascribe spiritual significance to the Shroud, while Materialists do not.

• 5Like
Reactions:

"[...] the Rifts you explore will lead to completely different realms of existence [...]"

When you say "Rifts you explore" and "realms of existence", does this lean more towards an Archeology/Situations type system with a unique interface that we interact with through clicking on option boxes, or is it more akin to the L-cluster in that it is physically explorable with systems that we send our ships to?

• 2Like
Reactions:
I know Abrakam for Faeria, which isn't exactly a narrative game, so it's a bit surprising to find them on a story pack.
Well, more exploration will never be bad in Stellaris, and it's interesting to see the game gets more of its own "lore".

• 1Like
Reactions: